Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Mark Neeld has recently said the following:

"We've all got a really clear understanding of where we're at and where we want to get to and how we're going to get there," said Neeld.

"We're really disappointed that we're a little behind where we thought we would be at this stage.

"But we always knew it was going to be difficult.

"My contract is for three years - I'm not halfway through it and the players are aware of that.

A little behind where the MFC should be, really! Was the plan to average a 70 point losing score each week instead of 75 points?

Is it possible to bench the coach for stupidity?

Statements made by Mark Neeld:

If he a man of his word the MFC will only pick 3 or 4 players this week or was that simple more of his spin?

MARK Neeld has declared Melbourne players will be elite as David King labelled his appointment as coach a "massive error".

The former North Melbourne premiership player said he was worried for the Demons’ future as a club after its horrendous start to the season.

King attacked Neeld’s game style and feared his man-management skills could lead to a player walkout at season’s end.

The respected football commentator said the controversial decision to appoint two new young captains, in particular, was a “debacle”.

The club has been forced to defend its rookie coach in recent days, but King said it was clear the Demons had appointed the wrong man.

“Everyone is dancing around the issues - the whole football world - but I think someone just has to come out and say Melbourne has made a massive error as a club, appointing Mark Neeld as a senior coach,”.

David do you want to be on the MFC selection panel at the end of the season for a new coach?

David King is stating the bleeding obvious. The hiring of Neeld as I have said since round 5, last year is the single biggest error this club has made since the dismissal of Norm Smith. The evidence for this is overwhelming. He continues to do untold damage, he may not have started the rot but he has brought this club to its knees.

On Monday our board meets, it is my view that the board have no choice but to dismiss Neeld.

It is true we are now in a no win situation. Due to our quickly deteriorating financial position which is a direct result of our appalling on-field performances since Neeld became coach, the cost of dismissing him will be a parting, painful, sting and final insult. It will put Melbourne deep into the red. However, let me make this very clear, the cost of maintaining him will be 10 fold that of paying out his contract.

In just 18 months under Neeld our club has gone from an exciting up and coming team, a club with no debt, a club with an expanding supporter base and genuine belief in future success, a club on the up. It is now a club that is the embarrassment of the league, a team that is measured against the worst teams in AFL/VFL history, a team that plays without spirit, confidence or self belief, a club battling to stay solvent with rapidly increasing debt, a club that is battling for its very survival.

Neeld must be dismissed ASAP so as we can start to heal, so a new coach with a modern game plan that suits the strengths and weakness of our list, who can install self belief and confidence can be appointed. At this point just about any stand in coach that can motivate and create confidence would be a massive improvement.

Failure to remove Neeld will result in the loss of a significant number of quality players come season end and this could be a nail in the coffin of our once great club. Changing coaches now may not save us but at least it gives us some hope, some chance of holding oour players, some chance of survival.

I simply cannot understand those on hear who come out in support of Neeld....... it is too illogical for me....... I don't get it. Are these people actually watching what is going on both on and off the field?

I am sure the board are aware of their fiduciary duties to the club and its members. I cannot see how they have any choice but to dismiss Neeld.

I hope that this tread can die with the imminent dismissal of Neeld and that we can once again start to look forward rather than back on what has been an complete and absolute disaster,

I again call on the board to uphold its fiduciary duty and dismiss Neeld. Not doing so could well be considered in a court as negligent.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 8

David King is stating the bleeding obvious. The hiring of Neeld as I have said since round 5, last year is the single biggest error this club has made since the dismissal of Norm Smith. The evidence for this is overwhelming. He continues to do untold damage, he may not have started the rot but he has brought this club to its knees.

On Monday our board meets, it is my view that the board have no choice but to dismiss Neeld.

It is true we are now in a no win situation. Due to our quickly deteriorating financial position which is a direct result of our appalling on-field performances since Neeld became coach, the cost of dismissing him will be a parting, painful, sting and final insult. It will put Melbourne deep into the red. However, let me make this very clear, the cost of maintaining him will be 10 fold that of paying out his contract.

In just 18 months under Neeld our club has gone from an exciting up and coming team, a club with no debt, a club with an expanding supporter base and genuine belief in future success, a club on the up. It is now a club that is the embarrassment of the league, a team that is measured against the worst teams in AFL/VFL history, a team that plays without spirit, confidence or self belief, a club battling to stay solvent with rapidly increasing debt, a club that is battling for its very survival.

Neeld must be dismissed ASAP so as we can start to heal, so a new coach with a modern game plan that suits the strengths and weakness of our list, who can install self belief and confidence can be appointed. At this point just about any stand in coach that can motivate and create confidence would be a massive improvement.

Failure to remove Neeld will result in the loss of a significant number of quality players come season end and this could be a nail in the coffin of our once great club. Changing coaches now may not save us but at least it gives us some hope, some chance of holding oour players, some chance of survival.

I simply cannot understand those on hear who come out in support of Neeld....... it is too illogical for me....... I don't get it. Are these people actually watching what is going on both on and off the field?

I am sure the board are aware of their fiduciary duties to the club and its members. I cannot see how they have any choice but to dismiss Neeld.

I hope that this tread can die with the imminent dismissal of Neeld and that we can once again start to look forward rather than back on what has been an complete and absolute disaster,

I again call on the board to uphold its fiduciary duty and dismiss Neeld. Not doing so could well be considered in a court as negligent.

Well said GNF.

Its time.

Most people who support Neeld on DL, like myself, believe that this was always going to happen GNF.

Neeld is doing what has to be done.

Whatever coach we chose, they would also have had to do the same.

Ie, cull the list of our failed picks (Morton, Martin ect), draft in experienced players to offer leadership (Byrnes, Rodan), secure good future drafts (Hogan, Barry, and Toumpas [development player]), focus on bringing up fitness to AFL standard (bringing in Misson ect.)

A bit of short-term pain for long-term gain.

Again, it doesn't matter which coach was chosen, Roos, Clark, Lyon, Williams ect. They would all have had to have made the same decisions.

As for Neeld's game plan you can see its shaped around the fact that our players aren't up to AFL fitness (zoning) and the execution of this again is a reflection of the list's fitness and skills.

Let me ask you this. Whats more important: short-term success or long-term success?

I dont know about you but wining 8 games a year wasn't really cutting it for me and not sustainable for long-term success.

• Like 4

i hope they get rid of him so you can start a new rant, sheeesh ive had enough of this wasteful tripe

i can see some of the problems within that grate a little bit

nobody as bad as it gets seems to smile anymore at our club. no matter how bad it is we need a bit of personality and this would be neelds failure

some small errors have been made by mn , but all coaches make these

i dont think sacking him now will help us financially because of a interim coach speaking more trash will not cash up our club this year

so the sacking doesnt have any bearing on this year financially

saving us from a couple more thrashings wont get or save the club any dollars whatsoever

now the fitness based question has been answered many times and correctly

the draft position has been answered correctly

the appointment and job to be done question has been answered

apart from a lack of personality whats your prob?

Most people who support Neeld on DL, like myself, believe that this was always going to happen GNF.

Neeld is doing what has to be done.

Whatever coach we chose, they would also have had to do the same.

Ie, cull the list of our failed picks (Morton, Martin ect), draft in experienced players to offer leadership (Byrnes, Rodan), secure good future drafts (Hogan, Barry, and Toumpas [development player]), focus on bringing up fitness to AFL standard (bringing in Misson ect.)

A bit of short-term pain for long-term gain.

Again, it doesn't matter which coach was chosen, Roos, Clark, Lyon, Williams ect. They would all have had to have made the same decisions.

As for Neeld's game plan you can see its shaped around the fact that our players aren't up to AFL fitness (zoning) and the execution of this again is a reflection of the list's fitness and skills.

Let me ask you this. Whats more important: short-term success or long-term success?

I dont know about you but wining 8 games a year wasn't really cutting it for me and not sustainable for long-term success.

But we won 8.5 games that year and almost played finals!!! And some weeks we looked good!

In all seriousness, dean bailey was just a continuation of neale daniher's "unaccountable" last 2 years of reign. Effectively the rebuild started in October last year. Gnf can rant all he likes about neeld, we were 5 years stagnated before neeld come on board. At least we have guidelines and plans now. Longer term we are in better shape on field.

• Like 3

So you're satisfied we've only beaten one established team since round 19, 2011?

Beating the new franchises doesn't really cut it for me. Not that we can even beat them anymore.

Guys, we do not have 5 years to become competitive. We will be the Hobart Devils in time for the next broadcasting contract. We have 2 years max to become competitive and remain solvent.

I dispute that the rebuild started last October............ that is straight out BS, I dispute that Bailey was just a continuation of Danihar but I accept we needed a new coach with which could install a more accountable game plan. The problem is we chose the wrong coach. We got our choice very, very wrong. As a result we must reconsider where we are at. A good coach can change the culture and develop a new more accountable game plan (which has been an out and out failure) while maintaining confidence, self belief, without have mass discontent from players, without having player walkouts. I will add I have never seen a more unaccountable game plan or worse culture than currently resides under Neeld.

We are not a club that has the luxury of being able to simply start again. We are on the ropes. If we could go back to 9 wins we could be saved, we cannot be saved when we have an average losing margin of 75 points and half the team want out. We must abandon the pursuit of a Premiership for the time being and put all effort into our survival.

I think few here realise the dire position we are in.

• Like 2

So you're satisfied we've only beaten one established team since round 19, 2011?

Beating the new franchises doesn't really cut it for me. Not that we can even beat them anymore.

nobody is satisfied with this

whats your point

Guys, we do not have 5 years to become competitive. We will be the Hobart Devils in time for the next broadcasting contract. We have 2 years max to become competitive and remain solvent.

I dispute that the rebuild started last October............ that is straight out BS, I dispute that Bailey was just a continuation of Danihar but I accept we needed a new coach with which could install a more accountable game plan. The problem is we chose the wrong coach. We got our choice very, very wrong. As a result we must reconsider where we are at. A good coach can change the culture and develop a new more accountable game plan (which has been an out and out failure) while maintaining confidence, self belief, without have mass discontent from players, without having player walkouts. I will add I have never seen a more unaccountable game plan or worse culture than currently resides under Neeld.

We are not a club that has the luxury of being able to simply start again. We are on the ropes. If we could go back to 9 wins we could be saved, we cannot be saved when we have an average losing margin of 75 points and half the team want out. We must abandon the pursuit of a Premiership for the time being and put all effort into our survival.

You've called bs at me a few times now champ. Have a little balance to your views.

You've used Stef Martin walking out and the "pending" walk out of several other players. Only col Sylvia can walk out as a free agent, and if watts doesn't re-sign, good riddance as he hasn't proven himself as yet. Your one eyed anti neeld propaganda is slanderous, repetitive and put simply, you are a muppet. Put some credence to what you are saying, as currently you base it on 1 "player manager who you are BFFs with". Are you even a member? Or you are one of those who thinks you help the club by not paying up, and instead spin vitriol to whoever is willing to listen to you vile?

• Like 1

Again, I happen to know the PR blokes behind the "get Tassie a team" and the website they setup for the Tas Govt has a 'Latest News' tab. The 'latest news' is over 4 years old...

http://www.tassiefootyteam.com.au/news.php

You can whinge all you like about the current coach and our inability to get rid of him fast enough but don't scare Demons by saying we will be moved to Tasmania or lose our licence to Tasmania. I will shoot you down every time.

How about this?

When I get word that Tassie is interested again I will let everyone here know...

• Like 3

You've called bs at me a few times now champ. Have a little balance to your views.

You've used Stef Martin walking out and the "pending" walk out of several other players. Only col Sylvia can walk out as a free agent, and if watts doesn't re-sign, good riddance as he hasn't proven himself as yet. Your one eyed anti neeld propaganda is slanderous, repetitive and put simply, you are a muppet. Put some credence to what you are saying, as currently you base it on 1 "player manager who you are BFFs with". Are you even a member? Or you are one of those who thinks you help the club by not paying up, and instead spin vitriol to whoever is willing to listen to you vile?

Mate, I may have called BS when I read it, but I have never made personal or slanderous comments about other posters. Further I have not made up quotes from other posters, what you have said above is not only untrue, it is insulting.

I only want our club to survive and than thrive forward. I feel extremely strongly about the direction and dire situation we are in. Yes, I do see the sky falling in. We can't pretend we are not in the position we are in. We can't pretend that losing Syliva, Watts and Frawley plus others would be good for our club. This walkout would be a potential fatal wound.

Edited by Grand New Flag

Again, I happen to know the PR blokes behind the "get Tassie a team" and the website they setup for the Tas Govt has a 'Latest News' tab. The 'latest news' is over 4 years old...

http://www.tassiefootyteam.com.au/news.php

You can whinge all you like about the current coach and our inability to get rid of him fast enough but don't scare Demons by saying we will be moved to Tasmania or lose our licence to Tasmania. I will shoot you down every time.

How about this?

When I get word that Tassie is interested again I will let everyone here know...

What are you suggesting? I used Hobart Devils as only an example.

The facts are that the AFL will look to merge, relocate or dissolve us if we remain uncompetitive and become insolvent. This is the terrifying reality. Jackson has said himself that we could be back to $5 Million in debt by the end of next season if performances don't improve. This would place us close to insolvent.

I ask you please tell me just one part of the coaching role that you think Neeld has done well? What KPI has he had success with? Please put forward a case on why he should remain as coach rather than just nit picking my comments.

The facts are that the AFL will look to merge, relocate or dissolve us if we remain uncompetitive and become insolvent. This is the terrifying reality. Jackson has said himself that we could be back to $5 Million in debt by the end of next season if performances don't improve. This would place us close to insolvent.

I ask you please tell me just one part of the coaching role that you think Neeld has done well? What KPI has he had success with? Please put forward a case on why he should remain as coach rather than just nit picking my comments.

Oh, I am sorry I was taking what you said literally...

You give a doomsday scenario to scare people into agreeing with you. I am telling you that Tasmania - the so-called 19th team according to The Bloated One - is nowhere with its bid.

The AFL wants us to thrive, not just survive, and with their investments up North, their is no desire to spend more money on another market.

So whine all you want about the coach - but stop trying to convince people of the righteousness of your argument by scaring them.

• Like 3

Oh, I am sorry I was taking what you said literally...

You give a doomsday scenario to scare people into agreeing with you. I am telling you that Tasmania - the so-called 19th team according to The Bloated One - is nowhere with its bid.

The AFL wants us to thrive, not just survive, and with their investments up North, their is no desire to spend more money on another market.

So whine all you want about the coach - but stop trying to convince people of the righteousness of your argument by scaring them.

• Like 1

he has upheld the 3 year fitness program and not melted into winning a couple of games to give into the falseness

he has kept younger players back and let them develop and not fallen for the trap of going for the easy fix

he is developing the team to play different and adjustable game styles, its apparently the new trend for clubs and hes taken that on board to the chagrin of unenlightened supporters

resisted the temtation to draft mids this year and took dawes and clark when they came up, big fellas dont appear on the open market often and a average mid wouldnt help the team this year

give me time and i will think of a few other things

i dont like the abusing of each other , but some getridofmn posters are putting up false reasons to get thier point across and are not seeing the forest for the trees

have a good weekend big fella

• Like 1

he has upheld the 3 year fitness program and not melted into winning a couple of games to give into the falseness

he has kept younger players back and let them develop and not fallen for the trap of going for the easy fix

he is developing the team to play different and adjustable game styles, its apparently the new trend for clubs and hes taken that on board to the chagrin of unenlightened supporters

resisted the temtation to draft mids this year and took dawes and clark when they came up, big fellas dont appear on the open market often and a average mid wouldnt help the team this year

give me time and i will think of a few other things

i dont like the abusing of each other , but some getridofmn posters are putting up false reasons to get thier point across and are not seeing the forest for the trees

have a good weekend big fella

Talk about clutching at straws!

you asked

name something thats improved

gave you 3 answers and your still not happy

we get it YOU want him sacked and if they deliver another person you dont want as coach heaven help us

how come when answers dont suit you go somewhere else?

i hope they appoint dean bailey as coach and then we will see some feedback from the wehateneeldfaction

Please dont put words in my mouth TBT. I never said I was satisfied.

All I am saying is that I would rather improve long-term than continue with the small wins which aren't sustainable.

At the end of the day as others have pointed out we have been stagnant for a while. We were always going to have to go through this radical process, no matter who was coaching. Every club does, and every club looks long term.

It's time that we prioritise, because right now the most important thing for the club is long-term success rather than short-term wins... such as the ones under Bailey.

Short-term pain for long-term gain.

Edited by PJ_12345
  • Like 2

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33930-collingwood-chasing-sylvia/page-5

You used Moloney, rivers and Martin all leaving as a direct result of the coach. No if's, but's or maybe's.

In my eyes, you are no better than the flesh-eating journalists looking for a easy target to feast on. That you are upset mark neeld is pushing culture change, and forcing the weeds out (Moloney etc) so that the roses (jones, Howe, garland, viney, hogan etc) can bloom, shows a distinct ignorance to where the on field problems previously bred. The ceiling for growth was so minor pre neeld, in comparison to now. There is a genuine unity in the playing group, there are no rats who want to undermine senior officials and a categorical "one in all in" mindset.

The past is done, we've covered that numerous times. That you can't see similarities between how Al Clarkson and Mark Thompson cleared out players who were detrimental to unity and team growth, is disappointing. The outsiders who feel that the club is worse off without gysberts, Moloney, petterd etc, may well be right in the short term. However, later this year, we will all see the growth and development that we are craving (and have been for 7 years). This was a proper "ground up rebuild". When Peter Jackson comes out and endorses mark neeld, but fine tunes the lines of communication and isolates the uncertainty, watch how this club turns around on and off field. Watch How we stay in games longer and put more pressure on opposition teams. Watch how our players link up better and control the footy more consistently. We are a lot closer than anyone can see, unfortunately the same shallow minded journalists who today pot the club, will be the same ones who heap praise on Craig, or Lyon, or Mission.

Say what you want about mark neeld GNF, he put his own reputation on the line a early on, and since then he has dealt with media, ex- players who were the root of the problems, and supporters like yourself, who have all tried to undermine him. It's a matter of when, not if, we start producing results on field. If you are that despondent with how our senior team is playing, head down to casey and see some of the future players coming through, and the game plan they are implementing.

• Like 2

Do you oppose just for the sake of opposing? Certainly seems that way. jazza gave you three reasonable answers (particularly the point re mids v forwards) and you arrogantly dismiss it out of hand.

We have Jackson installed at the club with a mandate to clean up the entire operation and to do it as he sees fit... are you opposed to that as well or are you prepared to let him go about his work and accept the outcome... or if those outcomes don't suit your agenda, are you just going to keep on bleating out the same old now extremely tired "sack the coach" routine?

If it's all too hard for you, why not go and follow a successful club? I'm sure you will be happy until you find a reason to oppose the direction they are taking..and then no doubt you will be even happier.

Edited by hardtack

Bailey was not all out attack. Under Bailey our defence was one of the best in the league in the first half of 2010. Frawley AA that year too. The problem was our midfield then and it is now.

The fact that we were beating any team in 2010 and 2011 with that midfield was a testament to good forward and backline coaching and good young talent. Our big losses always stemming from the sheer tide of ball coming in through the average midfield. No gameplan can stop that.

I thought someone would bring up 'The Great Wall'. Our defenders were good one-on-one, which can mostly be put down to Wellman's influence. As soon as he left they looked lost and have done since. I'd still debate that point about Bailey. I'll agree the midfield pressure was a problem then as it is now, but what defensive structures did Bailey implement to make the team remotely defensive? Obviously you could argue the same with Neeld, but he's been unsuccessfully implementing a zonal defence. I think Clarkson's Hawthorn brand of footy (albeit with a far superior list) is the right balance of the two. Bailey went one way, Neeld has gone the other. Neither have been successful.

• Like 1

you asked

name something thats improved

gave you 3 answers and your still not happy

we get it YOU want him sacked and if they deliver another person you dont want as coach heaven help us

how come when answers dont suit you go somewhere else?

i hope they appoint dean bailey as coach and then we will see some feedback from the wehateneeldfaction

? None of the things you listed are improvements or things that Neeld has done well at. You have taken a long imaginative bow desperately trying to come up with anything he has achieved. The writing is on the wall for all to see, every part of our on-field performance, every statistic including fitness has gone backwards since Neeld arrived. Further and importantly the culture is worse than it has ever been. Neeld has completely failed to improve the culture, in fact he now resides over the worst culture this club has ever had. It is so toxic our better players want out. Hell we are among the worst teams in the history of the comp. Yet you guys somehow continue your blind faith. Blind faith that will take us to extinction. This is not scare tactics...... this is reality. Wake up!

Edited by Grand New Flag