NAB CHALLENGE: GOLD COAST SUNS v MELBOURNE

Gorgoroth

Okay, I was there yesterday as well. Some random dot points ...

- No-one should be playing football in sauna like conditions like that. Ludicrous. There's the pain barrier ... and then there's just plain dangerous.

- Once again the midfield was found wanting. We were okay early, but the Ablett-led class of the Suns assumed control as the game wore on. Suspect this may be the story of our season.

- Watts was our best player. Wonderfully skilled for a guy of his height. Get him in your fantasy sides because he will rack 'em up this year across half back. A break-out, possible AA season beckons.

- Terlich was impressive and will play round 1. Capable of kicking goals running at full tilt - not an easy skill.

- Cam Pedersen was disappointing again. Here's hoping his efforts this pre-season is just a case of flat form. Because he's shown nothing. Will start at Casey.

- Sellar will get the nod in his place, although like others I'm not yet convinced. Has that not-quite a ruckman ... not quite a KPP look about him.

- Jamar has trimmed down and looks seriously fit. Played well I thought. Another you should get in your fantasy sides coming off a weak 2012 (cheaply priced).

- Not sure Toumpas is ready based on what I saw. Suspect he'll need a stretch at Casey to find his feet.

- I thought Matt Jones and Tom Gillies did okay. I'd pick Jones ahead of Jordie McKenzie every day of the week.

- Where the hell is Viney?? Is he injured? Can anyone shed light?

- Sylvia, McKenzie, Dunn and Grimes didn't do enough. Not good enough from senior players. I'm going to be on their case this season. 'Raise The Bar' boys.

- 'Hulk' Hogan is absolutely a special talent. Even more impressive was watching the 17yo confidently bark orders at seasoned senior players. Finally a player with swagger!

- Howe was virtually unsighted all game. Another with a fairly pretty ordinary pre-season.

- Rodan and Byrnes need to provide greater support to Nate Jones. They both went missing for large chunks of quarters. It's all about work-rate, although granted the heat was unforgiving.

- On the Suns ... Dion Prestia will be a gun. Makes good decisions and is relentlessly hard at it. We should have a serious crack at him.

- The Suns will be 20% better than last season and will put the frighteners on a few more fancied sides. Some of their young tall-timber types like Sam Day, Gorringe and Dixon are really coming on, particularly Day.

- I'm chucking a $50 on the Little Master for a second Brownlow.

Took some photos as well. I'll try and get around to posting them tonight.

Cheers, RR

Cheers RR

Interesting points - on Howe could there be some upside that the kid can only get better as the season goes on??

3 x 30C plus games in a row for the Dees - not very favourable conditions, did the Dees fade or were the Suns too good.

PS: Not that it matters - but I reckon the Suns won't be a pushover up there this year - but I do think we should smash them at the G

I am going to wait. We did have quite a few players out and for all the gimmes a team might drop, every now and again they will win one they have no business winning. Remember the game again Port at Renmark? The team that was fielded had no business winning.

That being said, if Melbourne comes out against Port at full strength and gets rolled, I will start to be concerned.

I am going to wait. We did have quite a few players out and for all the gimmes a team might drop, every now and again they will win one they have no business winning. Remember the game again Port at Renmark? The team that was fielded had no business winning.

That being said, if Melbourne comes out against Port at full strength and gets rolled, I will start to be concerned.

Agree 100%

I am willing to be patient - but if we lose at Port at the G - I will be very disappointed

• Like 1

Though this game was only practice and perhaps arranged in haste I would have expected a more comprehensive dress rehersal at this late stage of the preseason. Appears from some of the anecdotal evidence from attendees that preperation and organisation was not optimal.

Edited by Muvver Jones

port have beaten swans and west coast in the last 2 weeks

The Swans and WC have bigger fish to fry and can afford to be disinterested but for Port it has been a confidence builder for supporters and no doubt a help with their membership drive. Not the case for us. Edited by Muvver Jones

We could wait until about a 3rd of the way through the season before making an objective appraisal. We'll have a bit more of an idea after the round 8 clash against the Tigers. A lot is going to depend on Clark, Dawes and our midfield.

The team we sent to the Gold Coast was a fair way short of full strength. If you look at the positives of all the practice matches, we ran North close, had one bad quarter against the Saints, beat Port and we had tiring legs against a fresh Richmond outfit.

Our Key forwards along with our midfield will be the key to our year. Dawes needs to produce but Dawes may need a fit and firing Clark in the team in order to excel. Sellar is another who probably needs to stand up. Key forwards win you games.

As for our midfield, there are a number of our players who have the potential to be good or very good players. A better scenario would see Jones battling 3 or 4 others as our best midfielder. Viney, Grimes, Trengove, Sylvia, Toumpas, Magner, Blease, Jetta and Tapscott should all have a goal of being more effective than Jones. A few of our other new players or lesser lights should have this same ambition.

Edited by Macca

Why is beating Port supposed by some to be so easy that we'll be wrist-slitting if we lose. Every game will probably be a struggle this year.

Because most consider their list not as good as ours, they have a first year coach, we should be at pretty much full strength, and it's at our home ground.

Why is beating Port supposed by some to be so easy that we'll be wrist-slitting if we lose. Every game will probably be a struggle this year.

Port have never beaten the Dees on the G - I'd like to keep that record

Because most consider their list not as good as ours, ....

Gosh, if that is right it must be even more depressing to be a Port fan.

Anyway given our influx of new players who haven't played much together, and maybe no Mitch & JT, I still think odds are pretty even. So I'll be keeping the razor blades in the drawer till later in the season.

The MFC ought to sell red and blue monickered razor blades.....make a fortune for the club !! ;)

• Like 1

Because most consider their list not as good as ours, they have a first year coach, we should be at pretty much full strength, and it's at our home ground.

Hartlett, Boak & Brad Ebert would waltz into our midfield for starters. I'm not saying "expect to lose" but those who are assuming that a win is a fait accompli are setting themselves up for a big fall.
  • Like 4

Hartlett, Boak & Brad Ebert would waltz into our midfield for starters. I'm not saying "expect to lose" but those who are assuming that a win is a fait accompli are setting themselves up for a big fall.

There midfield is miles better than ours, it will be a tough day at the office.

I'm talking overall list not just mids. I haven't heard too many footy people say Port's list is better than ours, on paper of course. I'm not assuming a win, how can you when you follow the Dees, but a loss to Port (who we beat with very few of our good players 2 weeks ago) on our home ground would be extremely deflating to the very few hopes we have for this year.

The MFC ought to sell red and blue monickered razor blades.....make a fortune for the club !! ;)

Yeah you could have used them after the MCG test.