Watts Dunn Jetta

Magner Jones Grimes

Howe Clark Sylvia

Byrnes Dawes Sellar

Foll: Jamar, Trengove, Viney

I/C: Rodan, Blease, Kent

Sub: Toumpas

Emerg: Davey, McKenzie, Terlich, M Jones, Tapscott

Pretty much based on consistency of performance in the NAB and ability to hit a damn target. Magner is the exception to the latter rule but he knows how to find the ball, something we desperately lack. Davey and McKenzie are highly likely to get picked but I wouldn't have them in my starting 22 at this stage. I acknowledge it's a risk having neither Tapscott or McKenzie who provide some much needed grunt in defence so Jordie slots in if Trengove is still not right. Likewise Tapscott or possibly Davey for Blease. Terlich unlucky.

• Like 1

If you'd seen any preseason training or practice matches you wouldn't be asking the question.

I'd bet my house on the fact that Neeld will have in the team for round 1.

I have seen the practice matches (but only the video footage of Renmark). Jetta has hardly set the world on fire so far. No, I don't go to training.

You have Jetta in your team, despite the fact that he only had four possessions total in week 1.

And you have him in your team ahead of Watts. I don't think that's justified by the preseason form.

You dont rate Nicholson? WOW

He is ultra competitive one on one. Does not get beaten to often. Plays tight

Has expolsive pace good run and carry . Kicking is above average. Your reason is??

The fact his kicking is not above average. It's in fact below average.

Competition for a spot is a good thing but Jetta is ahead of Nicho for mine. He is going to be one of the big improvers this year.

• Like 1

Terlich and Gillies ahead of Watts, and you accuse everyone else of being "footy dumb"...

They're better defensively. And Gillies plays tall with good physicality. He and Watts aren't even competing for a spot Stu.

Watts is running out of positions on the ground. He can't play as a tall in the back-line, because of his lack of any physicality and he's a liability on the smalls. We all know how agile he is, but the smalls get him on the repeat efforts.

I reckon he'd be better off playing the Gunston role in the forward-line. With Dawes and Clark providing the tall timber Watts could be dangerous running around like Howe.

I just don't see Watts being an effective defender. We all know his strengths, but if you're 196cms, can't play as a key back and get burnt by the repeat efforts of smalls then you're not going to make it as a defender. It's back to the forward-line for me.

Don't rack your brain though Stu, you won't get these comments either.

Edited by Ben-Hur

B: Jetta Frawley Garland

HB: Watts McDonald Dunn

C: Grimes Viney Blease

HF: Toumpas Dawes Sylvia

F: Howe Clark Byrnes

Foll: Jamar N.Jones Trengove

I/C: Tappscott, Davey, Sellar

Sub: Barry

Em: Strauss, Nicholson, McKenzie

You could call it either dreaming or hoping as far as the injuries go.

Sellar for backup ruck duties, Barry for the sub burst, McKenzie as emg seeing we don't really need a pure tagger against Port.

I have seen the practice matches (but only the video footage of Renmark). Jetta has hardly set the world on fire so far. No, I don't go to training.

You have Jetta in your team, despite the fact that he only had four possessions total in week 1.

And you have him in your team ahead of Watts. I don't think that's justified by the preseason form.

Jetta was great at Renmark, great in the intra-club and probably the star of the preseason.

I'll bet you want you want over his seletion for round 1. Name your price ?

They're better defensively. And Gillies plays tall with good physicality. He and Watts aren't even competing for a spot Stu.

Watts is running out of positions on the ground. He can't play as a tall in the back-line, because of his lack of any physicality and he's a liability on the smalls. We all know how agile he is, but the smalls get him on the repeat efforts.

I reckon he'd be better off playing the Gunston role in the forward-line. With Dawes and Clark providing the tall timber Watts could be dangerous running around like Howe.

I just don't see Watts being an effective defender. We all know his strengths, but if you're 196cms, can't play as a key forward and get burnt by the repeat efforts of smalls then you're not going to make it as a defender. It's back to the forward-line for me.

Don't rack your brain though Stu, you won't get these comments either.

So you go to all that trouble and still don't even understand that Watts is coming in straight for Rivers role?

So you go to all that trouble and still don't even understand that Watts is coming in straight for Rivers role?

No he's not. Gillies is.

Watts plays on smalls, like he did again yesterday. If you're taller than a pygmie Watts won't stand you.

For a guy that lives on here your depth of footy knowledge is a sick joke, Stu.

Jetta was great at Renmark, great in the intra-club and probably the star of the preseason.

I'll bet you want you want over his seletion for round 1. Name your price ?

If Jetta plays and Watts doesn't, I'll give you my Demonland sig rights for the year. Your offer?

Softy Wattsy will most definitely play. I made it clear that is the team I'd like to see.

Name your bet on Jetta not playing ?

So you obviously know better than Neeld then? Still don't know how you missed out on the senior coaching gig, did your laptop not work at the interview?

So you obviously know better than Neeld then? Still don't know how you missed out on the senior coaching gig, did your laptop not work at the interview?

Neeld is smart. He'd already be thinking along my lines. Expect to see him back in the forward-line at some point this year.

No he's not. Gillies is.

Watts plays on smalls, like he did again yesterday. If you're taller than a pygmie Watts won't stand you.

For a guy that lives on here your depth of footy knowledge is a sick joke, Stu.

You're saying Gillies will be our strong, tall defender, but that was not Rivers role. Watts will be on a man but be allowed to use his excellent play reading skills and judgement to leave his man to sweep the ball and deliver it with his top quality disposal, just like he did last year, and Rivers has for many years. Why would Watts have to play on a small forward? Did Rivers do that? WHy wouldn't you make the same argument about Gillies? He's no good on small quicks.... Oh that's right, he's not Watts so it doesn't count...

Softy Wattsy will most definitely play. I made it clear that is the team I'd like to see.

Name your bet on Jetta not playing ?

I made my offer - I don't have anything else to offer than my sig in an online forum.

My original question was if anyone cared to make the case for Jetta. I'm not sure that you have made it, other than saying that he played well in Renmark and intra club.

Neeld is smart. He'd already be thinking along my lines. Expect to see him back in the forward-line at some point this year.

Hang on. You didn't have him in the forward line, you didn't have him in the team at all.

You're saying Gillies will be our strong, tall defender, but that was not Rivers role. Watts will be on a man but be allowed to use his excellent play reading skills and judgement to leave his man to sweep the ball and deliver it with his top quality disposal, just like he did last year, and Rivers has for many years. Why would Watts have to play on a small forward? Did Rivers do that? WHy wouldn't you make the same argument about Gillies? He's no good on small quicks.... Oh that's right, he's not Watts so it doesn't count...

Do you even watch footy. Rivers played the zoning off third tall, which is what Gillies will play.

And do you ever watch who Watts mans up ? They're invariably always small. He doesn't get the third talls. Gillies has also relegated Garland to the smalls, which he can do because of his pace. Frawley, McDonald and Gillies take the talls and Watts, Garland, Terlich, or Jetta, Strauss, Nicholson the rest.

Edited by Ben-Hur

B: Jetta Frawley Garland
C: Grimes Viney Blease
F: Howe Clark Byrnes
Foll: Jamar N.Jones Trengove
I/C: Tappscott, Davey, Sellar
Sub: Barry
Em: Strauss, Nicholson, McKenzie
You could call it either dreaming or hoping as far as the injuries go.
Sellar for backup ruck duties, Barry for the sub burst, McKenzie as emg seeing we don't really need a pure tagger against Port.

I am pretty convinced that we won't see Barry in the starting team, even as the sub. Your three nominated emergencies will all will be considered before him IMO. Also I think Neeld has Dawes in mind for FF and Clark for CHF.

Hang on. You didn't have him in the forward line, you didn't have him in the team at all.

No, because he's a crap defender and right now that's where he's being played. Pretty obvious.

If Neeld moves him forward, which is my prediction, he'd be in my team as a forward.

I made my offer - I don't have anything else to offer than my sig in an online forum.

My original question was if anyone cared to make the case for Jetta. I'm not sure that you have made it, other than saying that he played well in Renmark and intra club.

I like Jetta's aggression, tackling, pace, reliability by foot and I reckon there's a spot for him running off a half-back flank. Especially after such a strong preseason.

If he's named for round 1, which is a deadset certainty, I guess the coaches do too.

I am pretty convinced that we won't see Barry in the starting team, even as the sub. Your three nominated emergencies will all will be considered before him IMO. Also I think Neeld has Dawes in mind for FF and Clark for CHF.

Yeah, I'm more hoping than expecting with Barry, just excited to see him play. And you're spot on, actually put Dawes and Clark the wrong way around! Plant the tree at FF and put the flying superman at CHF. Wouldn't be surprised to see Clark deep sometimes tho, he's really surprised me with his crumbing ability.

• Like 1

I like Jetta's aggression, tackling, pace, reliability by foot and I reckon there's a spot for him running off a half-back flank. Especially after such a strong preseason.

If he's named for round 1, which is a deadset certainty, I guess the coaches do too.

Great. As a fifth year player and fully fit, I hope he kills it this year.

The fact his kicking is not above average. It's in fact below average.

Competition for a spot is a good thing but Jetta is ahead of Nicho for mine. He is going to be one of the big improvers this year.

Nicholson was going at 71.7% effective disposals per game last year. Is that below average?

Do you even watch footy. Rivers played the zoning off third tall, which is what Gillies will play.

And do you ever watch who Watts mans up ? They're invariably always small. Ge doesn't get the third talls. Gillies has also relegated Garland to the smalls, which he can do because of his pace. Frawley, McDonald and Gillies take the talls and Watts, Garland, Terlich, or Jetta, Strauss, Nicholson the rest.

Here's my take on it. If Watts plays back which I think he will it will be as an offensive rebounder, he won't be marked to play against any particular opponent pygmie or tall, that decision will be made by the opposition coach and will be in most cases their most effective defensive forward. Opposition teams won't want the ball in Watts' hands because he is one of the few in our team that can use the ball well and create scoring opportunities.

• Like 1

B: Gillies Frawley Garland

C: Grimes Viney Roden

F: Howe, Pederson Byrnes

Foll: Jamar N.Jones Mckenzie

I/C: Tappscott, Mckenzie, Jetta

Sub: Davey

Em: Strauss, Nicholson, Trengrove

That's my team for the firs week. Would have Trengrove and Clark in there but prob wont see them to rd 2 or 3.