• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - 21st February, 2013

JJJ

Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Vlaustuin, Grigg, Dea, Batcherlor, Houli, Maric, Tuck, Foley, Morris plus Sam Lonergan as depth.. thats a pretty formidable midfield.. im actually pretty impressed the way they have built their side up. They have just about every position in their lineup coverd. Dont mind dimma as a coach. Wish we went for him but thats a different story. I can see why its an attractive club to be at. And just to think 3 years ago we were considerd to be more talented and closer to playing finals.

• Like 3

one of the comments I 'accidently' overheard from the RFC staff was that we had a forward line (when fully healthy) that would worry most teams but they thought our lack of midfield power would be our downfall. hardly ground breaking news but when you compare our midfield to the Tiges you see our talent shortfall.

The other thing that was kind of interesting was how the RFC staff critiqued our stoppage work. We set up differently with Jamar than we do with Spencer apparently as Jamar provides more clean ball. One of them who I did not recognise joked that Viney's presence may change that.

Pass on what you heard to the club ... can't hurt!

[email protected]

• Like 1

Grimes, Toumpas, Jones, Viney, Rodan, Trengove, Blease, Kent, Evans... I think our midfield is less than12 months away from being as good!

You left out the other Jones and Sylvia.

But this midfield is still two sparkling young draftee mid-fielders short. Some of those listed don't have the sparkle. Mind you, they're better than Maric for a start.

I chose my nominations carefully. I only took a risk on one! I'll stand by that. I am always amused and sometimes irritated by the over estimation of opposition. In this matter I concur with Northey. There are players on the Richmond midfield list that would inspire no fear in the Vineys and Toumpas's of the world.

one of the comments I 'accidently' overheard from the RFC staff was that we had a forward line (when fully healthy) that would worry most teams but they thought our lack of midfield power would be our downfall. hardly ground breaking news but when you compare our midfield to the Tiges you see our talent shortfall.

The other thing that was kind of interesting was how the RFC staff critiqued our stoppage work. We set up differently with Jamar than we do with Spencer apparently as Jamar provides more clean ball. One of them who I did not recognise joked that Viney's presence may change that.

"apparently as Jamar provides more clean ball."

I find that really interesting triple j and I would invite some comments. My observation of Jamar, apart from his one stellar year, is that the tapouts he wins are largely ineffective. This is because he tends to tap downwards rather than clearing the stoppage. Unless you have a bulldozer under there it is very difficult to get a clean possession.

• Like 2

I was talking about Ivan Maric.. have him anyday over jamar or spencer. If Rodan retires at years end and sylvia leaves via free agency we must go hard for quality midfielders. Even looking at Gws at poaching a couple. Yes we have viney and toumpas but at zip games. Its going to be our massive weakness as its our only downfall. I didnt think we did that well in really going hard for a couple of midfield depth like trying to chase koby stevens or even trying for a Sam Lonergan who has still plenty to offer. This year we must go for tall midfielders and small forwards in the draft.

We have become so used to our draft picks not developing that we seem to have given up hope. I have confidence that a few gems will be unearthed from players already on our list. Keep an eye on Kent, Evans, Barry, Taggert, Terlich, Tynon, Jones, & Stark. A few may surprise along the lines of Kelly, Carrazzo & Stanton

• Like 1

Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Vlaustuin, Grigg, Dea, Batcherlor, Houli, Maric, Tuck, Foley, Morris plus Sam Lonergan as depth.. thats a pretty formidable midfield.. im actually pretty impressed the way they have built their side up. They have just about every position in their lineup coverd. Dont mind dimma as a coach. Wish we went for him but thats a different story. I can see why its an attractive club to be at. And just to think 3 years ago we were considerd to be more talented and closer to playing finals.

Cotchin & Delidio with Martin on the way. Morris is a back pocket, Houli half back, Conca hasn't settled a postion yet, Vlastuin a half back in the champs last year, Foley good player but always injured.

If Cotchin goes down they look a bit thin on the ground.

Defence is still weak and they rely to much on Jack up forward.

I'm not sold on them yet and I think their recruiting at the end of season was poor, they went to the well one to many times on picking up experience from other clubs....but it's still to be seen. It might be a good lesson for us come seasons end.

• Like 2

Why is the Richmond midfield better....oh that's right it has got them into the finals the last few years hasn't it.......no not really but the media says so, so it must be right........let's wait and see shall we...our midfield is completely different....Richmond has no idea how it is going to perform.....we know exactly what Richmond has to offer.........there is no Foley tomorrow......Cotchin is now captain as well....who says the pressure won't get to him.......

You are going to hate me Sat

but me

• Like 1

Cotchin & Delidio with Martin on the way. Morris is a back pocket, Houli half back, Conca hasn't settled a postion yet, Vlastuin a half back in the champs last year, Foley good player but always injured.

If Cotchin goes down they look a bit thin on the ground.

Defence is still weak and they rely to much on Jack up forward.

I'm not sold on them yet and I think their recruiting at the end of season was poor, they went to the well one to many times on picking up experience from other clubs....but it's still to be seen. It might be a good lesson for us come seasons end.

Houli has stints in the midfield as does Conca aswell. I rate Morris and wished we snapped him up when he did the pre season with us but in saying that I hope dean terlich or Matt jones has the same impact this year like he did last year. Vlaustuin also played as an oballer for Northern Knights aswell so can run through the middle.

I think Chaplin will be a good inclusion but. But I think we have them coverd there aswell.

And yes your right in regarding jack up forward but like I said I reckon our weakness is our midfield. There outside run and carry is great to watch when on a roll. But that's why we recruited Jones, Toumpas and Barry.

[/

JJJ - thanks for the reports and the incognito detective work. One of the better insights for a training report.

Wtf is Roost It & his critique company when you need them!

JJJ has thrown down the gauntlet to you all. Opposition detective work - hahaha. Loved it!

I'd put our back 6 and front 6 ahead of Richmond and North when up and running.

Our midfield falls behind and still needs the talent of Swallow or Cot him. Hopefully Toumpas can be that class

Personally I don't think Richmond or MFC will play finals this year.

Edited by Roost It
  • Like 1

I think it pays to keep in mind that we made 14 changes to the list for this season.

WE put in 2 good players, 3 or 4 some would say are has beens, a few kids as good as they might be are going to take a couple of years

and a bunch of guys on there second chance at AFL level who did not make it the first time around.

Now we all hope some of these will be inspired selections but keep in mind our list has not suddenly changed from a bottom to finals team overnight.

Don't expect too much tomorrow night.

• Like 1

I think it pays to keep in mind that we made 14 changes to the list for this season.

WE put in 2 good players, 3 or 4 some would say are has beens, a few kids as good as they might be are going to take a couple of years

and a bunch of guys on there second chance at AFL level who did not make it the first time around.

Now we all hope some of these will be inspired selections but keep in mind our list has not suddenly changed from a bottom to finals team overnight.

You've got SOL tonight OD.

We've put in a couple of premiership players, Viney, Toumpas and Hogan and a couple of other hard nuts.

Happy for the games to begin.

Dreaming.

Dreaming is right. Cotchin will be the best midfielder in the league by the years end.

Who will be there starting CHF I think they need someone else to stand up and help jumping jack but apart from that they are ready for finals

• Like 1

Dreaming is right. Cotchin will be the best midfielder in the league by the years end.

Who will be there starting CHF I think they need someone else to stand up and help jumping jack but apart from that they are ready for finals

I think they want Vickery but his body hasn't held him up the last two years.

Big call. He might be second best.

You've got SOL tonight OD.

Not at all Bbo I am just stating the facts on the players we have put on the list this year.

e.g Roden Started life at Richmond and was an average player in an average team, moved to Port where he had a few average years with the occasional good game, Port dropped him from their list last year obviously they thought he would not take them anywhere.

We picked him when there were no other takers.

Now I expect he will add some strength, some experience and play a few good games in 2013 but he will not turn our mid field into world betters

Our list is improved but it has not been transformed into world beaters.

I am just reminding everyone to keep a little perspective.

We've put in a couple of premiership players, Viney, Toumpas and Hogan and a couple of other hard nuts.

Happy for the games to begin.

This is the classic mistake we always seem to make at the MFC

we pick some kids with potential after good junior careers and think they going to work wonders over night.

For god's sake they are 18 year olds they will have some good games this year but like all kids in their first year

they get weary.

Please don't expect miracles from these guys in 2013.

Three quarters of the miracle workers from the last 7 - 8 years are no longer at the club.

So am I!

Re the difference in training:

Both teams trained at a similar intensity but the biggest difference was the pace and delivery compared to us. I agree it is almost impossible to make any definitive statements but the difference was quite stark, no pun intended. They never missed a target once the ball was in the hand of the 'release player'. Couldn't say the same for us.

Comparing our midfield of mostly NQR players and theirs is a painful task. We have players who are physically gifted and hard at the contest but either cannot kick or consistently make the wrong choice. Bail, Nicholson, McKenzie, Rodan, Magner etc all have problems in these areas while some of our more talented players have other dowfalls. Trengove is one paced and Sylvia, our most gifted player, struggles to maintain focus and find the footy.

Jones is as close as we have to an A-Grader but he isnt near the level of Cotchin or dare I say it, Deledio. Both of those players can win their own footy, break lines, bring others into the game and go forward and kick goals. Who can do that for us?

• Like 2