1964 VFL Mobil Cards

bush demon

This posed shot of Matthew Boyd in the HS instantly reminded me of my treasured 1964 VFL Mobil swap cards. The picture highlights the "footballer-as-hero" image which first got me hooked on the Dees. Who were the Melbourne players in the 1964 cards? From memory, Brian Dixon, Tassie Johnson, Ron Barassi? (They may have been the '66 cards) .

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/one-for-all-and-all-for-one-at-doggie-kennel-with-matthew-boyd-to-captain-western-bulldogs-for-third-year/story-e6frf9jf-1226572966886

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1964-MOBIL-VFL-AFL-FOOTBALL-CARD-KEVIN-MURRAY-FITZROY-/111008455743?pt=AU_AFL_TradingCards&hash=item19d89e9c3f

I have some of the old school cigarette cards from the 1920's.

Chicken Smallhorn & Haydn Bunton from fitzroy ect...

A think I have a couple of Demons in the collection.Very cool to have & treasured gift from my late grandfather.

If only the drop kick was as easy as the instuctions inside

the back cover.

In order the Dees are:

Barry Bourke. Brian Dixon. Tassie Johnson. Hassa Mann.

Barassi is there at number two but he's in a dark blue top

with some white scribble on the front - Carlton.

Edited by deefender

bush demon, on 08 Feb 2013 - 07:45, said:

This posed shot of Matthew Boyd in the HS instantly reminded me of my treasured 1964 VFL Mobil swap cards. The picture highlights the "footballer-as-hero" image which first got me hooked on the Dees. Who were the Melbourne players in the 1964 cards? From memory, Brian Dixon, Tassie Johnson, Ron Barassi? (They may have been the '66 cards) .

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/one-for-all-and-all-for-one-at-doggie-kennel-with-matthew-boyd-to-captain-western-bulldogs-for-third-year/story-e6frf9jf-1226572966886

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1964-MOBIL-VFL-AFL-FOOTBALL-CARD-KEVIN-MURRAY-FITZROY-/111008455743?pt=AU_AFL_TradingCards&hash=item19d89e9c3f

Had the complete set of Mobil cards, and before that, Atlantic Petrol cards (predecssor of Esso) alas my dad threw them out in the great garage clean up of 1969 - might have been woth something today !

I have some of the old school cigarette cards from the 1920's.

Chicken Smallhorn & Haydn Bunton from fitzroy ect...

A think I have a couple of Demons in the collection.Very cool to have & treasured gift from my late grandfather.

Lucky fella, is there any chance you could scan those cards, the Demons, and post or email them ?

Even their names would be a service.

Shheeeeeit

I had the complete set of Mobil cards from each period around this time.

The reason I had them is that a distant relative from my dads side was the owner?? Mnager of the MOBIL petrol station on the corner of Highett rd and Bluff Rd Highett!

I also collected the complete "Shintaro" The Samurai card set and others which over time memory escapes me.

The Samurai set was particularly impressive given that as you collected each card, by completion if you turned them over you had a massive shot of SHINTARO on the back!!!

I reckon Star Trek, Man from Uncle, were others I collected over time!

They are worth quite a bit now ......... But alas they are all gone!!

BUT... I still have my "TRIANG" Train sets and" MOTORIFIC" TORTURE TRACK!!

I still remember the Ad

MOTORIFIC, ITS TERRIFIC!!

YAY

Ah for those days!

Nostalgically

"The Fence"

Well, on that note we have a link on Demonland to Easty's site - FOOTY RECORD HQ

On the home page, it says:-

I collect the following items:

VFL/AFL FOOTBALL PROGRAMMES

- Home & Away

- Finals

- Night Series/Pre-Season Cup

- Practice Matches

- Interstate/State of Origin

- International Rules (Australia v Ireland)

- Exhibition Matches (London etc)

MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB MEMORABILIA

- Annual Reports

- Team Posters

- Team Magazines (Demons World/Teamworks etc)

- Football Cards

- Robert Flower items (cards/posters/articles etc)

I've just today re-acquainted myself with this site and it might be worthwhile contacting Easty although I note it's a while since it's been updated.

I have a personal interest in the Demons World magazine because, in its early days, Redleg and I wrote most of the articles. I would really be interested in getting hold of some copies for myself if anyone has any.

Lucky fella, is there any chance you could scan those cards, the Demons, and post or email them ?

Even their names would be a service.

GSmith, what cards do you want scanned mate ? I have pretty much every MFC cigarette card / card released from 1900 to 2004 so i can scan for you whatever you need. If you are looking for a site that lists every MFC card released, check out http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dgreen2/. Best site on the net it lists every card ever released and has pics of them as well.

• Like 1

GSmith, what cards do you want scanned mate ? I have pretty much every MFC cigarette card / card released from 1900 to 2004 so i can scan for you whatever you need. If you are looking for a site that lists every MFC card released, check out http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dgreen2/. Best site on the net it lists every card ever released and has pics of them as well.

Thanks Neita, I have studied that site.

I have 700 images of past and present players out of 1288 that have played for the club.

Not an easy task to find more of the older images.

Your offer is appreciated.

The other things I found in garage recently were a stack of old football records I collected from 1972/73/74/75/76/77 I probably have a hundred or so and ALL ARE MELBOURNE GAMES. I also have many Melbourne Finals footy records from 87-91.

Might check my mums house for some other "Archived" stuff, you never know what might turn up that I assumed would be gone, but not forgotten!

Cheers 'The Fence"

On EBay there is a complete set of 1964 Mobil Cards from our premiership year. Would love to see those Demon images again. I remember collecting them each week and finally getting the whole set. They were all burnt when we went to the UK end of '64. The cost on EBay is about $300 I think.

These are all of the Melbourne Mobil Cards, from my collection:

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/dave74_photos/Mobil/

The oldest known Melbourne cards depicted are from 1904:

SnidersAbrahams1904SeriesA-GeorgeMo.jpg

Feel free to browse around all of the other Melbourne cards, plenty of great history in there!

Some of my other favorite looking series

http--,,--//s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/dave74_photos/Coles/

http--,,--//s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/dave74_photos/Kornies/1959/

Thanks Neita, I have studied that site.

I have 700 images of past and present players out of 1288 that have played for the club.

Not an easy task to find more of the older images.

Your offer is appreciated.

No problem at all mate, i have them all in folders so i can take pics of whatever you need. Do you have a list of the 588 player pics you are missing ?

These are all of the Melbourne Mobil Cards, from my collection:

Nice scans Dave. love the Mobilecards, my favorite set is the 1958 Atlantic Set

Feel free to browse around all of the other Melbourne cards, plenty of great history in there!

Some of my other favorite looking series

I can't bring up either of these ?

No problem at all mate, i have them all in folders so i can take pics of whatever you need. Do you have a list of the 588 player pics you are missing ?

Big job but I'm working on it.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Those old cards are fantastic. Thanks guys.

Would love to read those old Footy Records 71-74.

I had them all in a shoe box as a kid...no idea where they went.

Moving house always sucks.

I had those records too WYL....I didn't move house....I think the house ate them.......

• Like 2

I have all the footy records of finals Melbourne played in between 2007 and 2012

I see you've provided links too...

yeah i had mobil cards , used to wander in there on my way home from st joes primary , and ask for them , got a few , well quiet a few , but gone now , oh i wish , but thing i remember still to this day was the smell of the place , strange that , yeah i know hard to describe a smell like that , others i can , lol

The other thing you used to get from petrol stations was the club transfer I used to put on the window of the family car. I always thought the one with the Demon was the finest and most fierce and ... you know what? Back in those days, we were like that as a team.

The Demon transfer was a source of pride back in those days. These days, I cop a few sniggers when people see the logo on my car.