Brock McLean article - "Tackling footy's silence on gays"

pitchfork

I can see where Ben is coming from.

I too am not a huge fan of the AFL leading the pack on social issues. I can understand why they do it. But personally i would prefer them to just concentrate on Australian Rules Football.

These other issues will take care of themselves.

I have a disability & i don't want the AFL to make an issue out of it, apart from having elevators accessible.

The AFL don't have to touch everything. The Players association should be well versed in "Coming out" not the AFL Brand imo

Performance enhancing drugs are illegal, as are illicit drugs, so by all means educate the players as to what is allowed and what isn't when it comes to AFL footy. And players won't perform well on alcohol, so that needs to be addressed. Strong cultures at club level indicate that behavioural issues need to be addressed with your playing group. I want our club do educate the players as much as possible to get maximum performance.

But in regards to running social issues I want the AFL to STFU, whereas you, and others want them to have a voice. You want them to take a lead. You like them having a stance on social reform. I get it. But I don't. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough.

It can be argued that with its stance on drugs and alchohol, the AFL is indirectly teaching young people about what is acceptable social behaviour and what is not.

I think you will also find that the AFL has taken steps to help eradicate bullying from schools, because not only is it a social issue, it is also an issue that affects group/team culture... and guess what, I am pretty sure you will find that there is a strong link between bullying and sexuality.

Do you believe the AFL should not get involved in the issue of bullying or helping to raise funds for the fight against breast cancer etc?

That's horrible, and I have no qualms saying that they are clearly horrible people.

Those "Old School Sicilian parents" are only reflecting the society in which they were brought up. They're not so horrible and it's as much for people like them as their loved ones who are gay, that make education and awareness within the community so important. In the next generation or in the generation after that, the stigmas that cause tension and pain within such families will hopefully no longer exist.

I think the AFL, like any workplace, has a mandate to openly protect its employees against discrimination.

In a way, I liken this conservation to racism in sport. The AFL, rightly, have played a big part in fighting racism in the game on both sides of the fence (obviously there is still much to do).

That was a social, moral issue that the AFL chose to address, I believe that this is another.

• Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

Those "Old School Sicilian parents" are only reflecting the society in which they were brought up. They're not so horrible and it's as much for people like them as their loved ones who are gay, that make education and awareness within the community so important. In the next generation or in the generation after that, the stigmas that cause tension and pain within such families will hopefully no longer exist.

I think they are horrible.

It's one thing to conform to ingrained social norms, but to do it at the expense of your relationship with your child, and to not recognise the pain you're causing them...

It's stubborn ignorance at its worst.

I need to clarify this.

You're accusing me of condoning discrimination in the work place, or elsewhere ? Please confirm.

You read what I said and you consider yourself a pretty smart guy ; did I say that or did I say you didn't care? What do you reckon?

There is not one "out" AFL footballer and why do you reckon that is? Perhaps it's neanderthals like Akermanis that prevent it or do you think it's because there are just no Gay footballers?

The reason they don't come out is because of, get this, discrimination in the workplace.

Now if the AFL don't act they are condoning discrimination in the workplace; correct?

I think they are horrible.

It's one thing to conform to ingrained social norms, but to do it at the expense of your relationship with your child, and to not recognise the pain you're causing them...

It's stubborn ignorance at its worst.

Maybe they think they are doing what's best for their son, because they think that they need to make him choose not to be gay (in the strongest way possible) otherwise their god will send him to hell.

I think it's nearly impossible to call someone a horrible person based on so little information. I'm very forgiving of someone who makes a bad decision for the right reasons, far more than someone who does the right thing for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I think the AFL, like any workplace, has a mandate to openly protect its employees against discrimination.

In a way, I liken this conservation to racism in sport. The AFL, rightly, have played a big part in fighting racism in the game on both sides of the fence (obviously there is still much to do).

That was a social, moral issue that the AFL chose to address, I believe that this is another.

I think this issue is almost identical to race in sport, and should be treated as such.

Guest José Mourinho

Maybe they think they are doing what's best for their son, because they think that they need to make him choose not to be gay (in the strongest way possible) otherwise their god will send him to hell.

I think it's nearly impossible to call someone a horrible person based on so little information. I'm very forgiving of someone who makes a bad decision for the right reasons, far more than someone who does the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Possible, but that misguided an attempt to help is tantamount to abuse.

I don't think many people intend to be horrible people -- they just are.

Possible, but that misguided an attempt to help is tantamount to abuse.

I don't think many people intend to be horrible people -- they just are.

If their number 1 belief is that god will send a gay person to hell, then how could that person feel that it was misguided?

If their number 1 belief is that god will send a gay person to hell, then how could that person feel that it was misguided?

Well, if god's involved, maybe they are just being irrational rather than misguided ;-)

The AFL's job is to do what's best for all of the clubs and the game itself.

What is good for the AFL is to make everyone feel included. Hence they take a lead in many social issue to increase the size of the AFL community. If you want to see how this action has worked, and how inaction hasn't worked, then have a look at Rugby League.

Thats were i cant understand the issue, no one has said gays cant play footy, whats the big deal, the AFL need to worry about the game, not homosexuals.

Edited by mjt

You read what I said and you consider yourself a pretty smart guy ; did I say that or did I say you didn't care? What do you reckon?

Firstly, how would you know whether I "care", or not ? Indicate my contribution that suggests I don't care.

Secondly, if you don't "care" that something is happening aren't you implicitly condoning it ?

There is not one "out" AFL footballer and why do you reckon that is? Perhaps it's neanderthals like Akermanis that prevent it or do you think it's because there are just no Gay footballers?

The reason they don't come out is because of, get this, discrimination in the workplace.

Now if the AFL don't act they are condoning discrimination in the workplace; correct?

Doubt it mate.

If the bloke could play footy the club wouldn't give a siht.

It's the media circus it would unleash thats the fear.

Until a player decides he want to be a gay posterboy it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by My TD
  • Like 1

And I thought there were posters on Ology looking for a blue!!

sheesh whats so difficult with this one.

Brock stood up for family and common sense against hypocricsy discrimination and bigotry.

Well done.

All the AFL has to is obey the law as it stands and,,seeing as how at this point in time they arnt yet a religion, they cant discriminate.

His sister looks pretty happy in the photo with her friend and very happy to be photographed with her brother.

My guess is there are a few AFL players who are feeling a bit better as well.

• Like 1

Worst post ever.

You just want the good old days where women couldn't vote and you didn't have to share the drinking fountain with them "coloured" folk...

Just stating an opinion but......

I would wager that your neck is a darker shade of red than mine.

The young man in question was being pressured by his parents to produce a wife or at least a girlfriend and he decided to end the sham; he really hoped they would understand but they didn't and seemingly won't.

Are they evil, bad or just a product of their own upbringing, I don't know, but it is just dreadful for the boy concerned. Fortunately he still has his brother and sister and all his many friends including my son.

Firstly, how would you know whether I "care", or not ? Indicate my contribution that suggests I don't care.

Secondly, if you don't "care" that something is happening aren't you implicitly condoning it ?

Read your own post #11.

I couldn't care less either way

It can be argued that with its stance on drugs and alchohol, the AFL is indirectly teaching young people about what is acceptable social behaviour and what is not.

I think you will also find that the AFL has taken steps to help eradicate bullying from schools, because not only is it a social issue, it is also an issue that affects group/team culture... and guess what, I am pretty sure you will find that there is a strong link between bullying and sexuality.

Do you believe the AFL should not get involved in the issue of bullying or helping to raise funds for the fight against breast cancer etc?

I don't see how raising money for cancer has anything to do with social justice. And no-one would be in favour of bullying in schools, so I don't see these as great examples of social reform. It's a bit like violence against women. Do you need to be told it's bad by the AFL to know it's not acceptable ? Just administer the game thanks.

I believe that multiculturalism is an exceedingly flawed policy, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the AFL having a "multiculturalism" round, which would be another social agenda with which I'd disagree. Multiculturalism - not to be confused with immigration - has failed all around the world with many nations now admitting it was a flawed policy. A concept that encouraged and financially rewarded migrants for not assimilating.

The young man in question was being pressured by his parents to produce a wife or at least a girlfriend and he decided to end the sham; he really hoped they would understand but they didn't and seemingly won't.

Are they evil, bad or just a product of their own upbringing, I don't know, but it is just dreadful for the boy concerned. Fortunately he still has his brother and sister and all his many friends including my son.

The situation is definitely horrible. The son is a very innocent party that is caught up in the middle of an awful situation through no fault of his own.

Read your own post #11.

I couldn't care less either way

The more I read of you the more I learn how thick you are. I couldn't give a toss about someone's sexuality, i.e. "I couldn't care less", but how does that translate to condoning "discrimination" against individuals, or groups in the workplace, or other areas of life ?

Thats were i cant understand the issue, no one has said gays cant play footy, whats the big deal, the AFL need to worry about the game, not homosexuals.

No, the people who govern any organisation have a responsibility to stop any anti social ways, cultures, behaviours, that hide amongst any lingering ignorance within the umbrella of their organisation.

Many lingering issues still live on within footy, in some areas & we are only just tackling the indigenous issues which we still don't understand fully.

We know they're are Indigenous issues White Australia has brought onto the displacement & cultural destruction of the 'Indig' communities.

They have been left struggling between a Rock & a hard place.

So its a learning experience, which is painful for all sides on the Issue.