Which Ex-Demons Will Thrive?

stuie

Just trying to get something different going seeing we're all so keen to talk footy and MFC but seem to be repeating ourselves quite a bit... Which former MFC players that found new homes during the offseason do you think will thrive at their new club?

I think there's a couple who could be fantastic players for their new teams but could easily turn out to be a losing gamble also, those players are Petterd and Gysberts. For similar reasons (injury and not taking opportunities with enough immediacy) these guys didn't quite reach their potential with us, potential they still have, but they could go either way.

The player I'm guessing will thrive the most at his new club is Stef Martin. Will step in and become the #1 ruckman at the Lions IMO, and with the new ruck rules favouring more athletic types the odds are stacked in his favour to be a valuable contributor for the Lions. I put him in a similar situation to Chris Dawes, struggles a bit when asked to play the dual role of ruck/forward, but when allowed to play his natural position he can shine.

Other players may well be solid from a list depth perspective, but Martin is my tip as the one to perform, and depending on the punt we're taking on our own ruck stocks (namely Jamar's form and Maxy's knees) we may well regret letting him go.

Just trying to get something different going seeing we're all so keen to talk footy and MFC but seem to be repeating ourselves quite a bit... Which former MFC players that found new homes during the offseason do you think will thrive at their new club?

I think there's a couple who could be fantastic players for their new teams but could easily turn out to be a losing gamble also, those players are Petterd and Gysberts. For similar reasons (injury and not taking opportunities with enough immediacy) these guys didn't quite reach their potential with us, potential they still have, but they could go either way.

The player I'm guessing will thrive the most at his new club is Stef Martin. Will step in and become the #1 ruckman at the Lions IMO, and with the new ruck rules favouring more athletic types the odds are stacked in his favour to be a valuable contributor for the Lions. I put him in a similar situation to Chris Dawes, struggles a bit when asked to play the dual role of ruck/forward, but when allowed to play his natural position he can shine.

Other players may well be solid from a list depth perspective, but Martin is my tip as the one to perform, and depending on the punt we're taking on our own ruck stocks (namely Jamar's form and Maxy's knees) we may well regret letting him go.

If Steph Martin thrives then it will be because Moloney will make him look good as he has something more to prove (last year was an aberration)! I also feel that Rivers will also prove to be a more than adquate replacement for Scarlett!

I'm going for a smokey - Bennell

Rather than be delisted, I Would've liked him demoted to the rookie list at the expense of Couch.

He was heavily maligned around here. He offered class, speed, skill but just too inconsistent.

The penny looked to be dropping just before he did his knee v Freo, which was a shame.

Who cares? They're nothing to do with us any longer. If they were good enough or committed enough they'd still be with us. They weren't, they're gone. End of story.
  • Like 1

I think Beamer & Rivers.

IMO Beamer will be a better fit for the Lions, & I expect him to fit in better with the Lions ways & with JBrown up there Beamer will take less of a front seat & just play.

In all that I think Voss is on the wrong track with the way he's gone about the list transition.

---------------

Rivers I think will play a similar role with the Cats as he has with us, releasing one of they're defenders to 'build up' & take Scarletts role in the team.

Who cares? They're nothing to do with us any longer. If they were good enough or committed enough they'd still be with us. They weren't, they're gone. End of story.

Hi Reverend I thought you had moved a parallel universe mate.

I detect a note of pessimism there !

Having said that I tend to agree with you

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

A fit Matthew Leuenberger will always be number one ruckman at the Lions however Martin may get back up opportunities nothing more IMO.

Rivers is most likely to shine as he joins a relatively settled and classy back half at Geelong.

Don't hold out much hope for the others.

I don't worry myself with ex's.

I understand where you're coming from fellas, so please try and understand the reason for this thread.

I'm just trying to generate some new discussion as I couldn't stand ANOTHER "which recruit will stand up" thread, or "this year is make or break" thread, bit sick of hearing it.

• Like 1

I understand where you're coming from fellas, so please try and understand the reason for this thread.

I'm just trying to generate some new discussion as I couldn't stand ANOTHER "which recruit will stand up" thread, or "this year is make or break" thread, bit sick of hearing it.

i know Stuie..Fair call but it's new discussion on players we turfed out...most of them went interstate so i will have no contact with them

just like many of my ex's...i prefer to discuss tomorrow mate.

• Like 1

Rivers will look okay playing a floating role in the Cats defence, Bennell will thrive at East Perth, Morton could ook impressive at times when Meth Coast are steamrolling teams and he plays an unaccountable role on the wing & wide spaces of Subi.

Very few of our ex players have shown much in teh past few years when we moved them on and like WYL and others said they are no ex-players.

Don't worry about who we haven't got, worry about who we have

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings towards Rivers. I understand why he wanted to leave, but think he's a bloody idiot for doing it during this Neeld rebuild. Good luck to him but it would be bloody brill to finish above the [censored] next year and rub ol Rivers' face in it!

And how is a thread on ex players any more insightful than those topics you claim to be bored of?

Didn't say it was more insightful, just said I felt Demonland was repeating itself a fair bit with the same 2 or 3 topics so wanted to throw something different in the mix.

Moloney will slot very nicely into a green (excluding Black) but highly talented Brisbane midfield. A clearance beast like him will be great for that list.

Very curious to see how Morton and Bennell do over at the best football department in the country, basically if they can't make it there they weren't going to make it anywhere.

No pessimism - just a lack of interest in the past. The future is all that matters and man, it is so bright. You'll know me at the G this year. I'll be the guy in sunglasses shielding my eyes from the brilliance emanating from the team as it runs onto the ground. Go Dees! It's going to be a great year. How's the diet?

• Like 1

that's exactly what i was wondering??

:)

Then you can read my reply as well WYL. You can stick to your typical "this year is make or break" threads that have been done a million times, I'm just trying to find some other MFC related things to talk about that might bring something new to the table.

But at least the typical threads are relevant. Ex players are as irrelevant here as salad is to a phil scully diet.

Anyway for the sake of the op and my boredom I think Rivers will probably thrive, I hope none of them do though. They are the enemy now.

But at least the typical threads are relevant. Ex players are as irrelevant here as salad is to a phil scully diet.

Anyway for the sake of the op and my boredom I think Rivers will probably thrive, I hope none of them do though. They are the enemy now.

I am soooo with you on the boredom front sista! Hence this thread, as irrelevant as it may be to some.... I'm more than happy for people to start some other threads with new discussion topics