Neeld puts 2 H&A games in Darwin on the agenda

Diablo Deemon

Maybe the club will sell affordable packages. A deal through Webjet could be on the cards. Dare to Dream Robbie

Also, take a sickie on the Monday. Football is more important than work :-)

It isn't just me, if I go I have to take at least one son and grandson and that's minimum. Once the word gets round then there are two others that will want to go one in Melbourne one in Townsville, I looked at it last year and it was going to cost me the equivalent of a 10 day holiday in Hawaii after including accommodation and meals.

The fact is Neeld Aniher, Supporters refuse to turn up to games against the Power and Lions at the G anyway. Yes a good 20 to 25 thousand do turn up, but more dont.

With GC and GWS, it will only get worse. A few games in Darwin will mean more to the club than the faithful who do turn up to such games. Think outside the box and concede the G is home to many more clubs than us. Its not our fortress to own anymore

The fact is Neeld Aniher, Supporters refuse to turn up to games against the Power and Lions at the G anyway. Yes a good 20 to 25 thousand do turn up, but more dont.

With GC and GWS, it will only get worse. A few games in Darwin will mean more to the club than the faithful who do turn up to such games. Think outside the box and concede the G is home to many more clubs than us. Its not our fortress to own anymore

Maybe but if more games are played interstate are you still going to consider your membership good value?

I like the idea of 2 season games there, ideally against teams who don't play in the heat much so we'd have a nice edge.

Would also give us two night games to watch (ideally not only on Foxtel).

However, I do worry about recovery and how well we'd go the next round(s).

Hells Gate, thanks for the training updates, in your opinion, over the footy season is there a more ideal time to play in Darwin heat and humidity wise?

Could be a good move, boost memberships by selling Darwiners 3 game memberships and a discount flight down to Melb to catch one at the G...

• Like 1

Well said. Also we may only do it for 5 years to get ahead. By that time we should be winning a few games and crowds will be back at the G. Not all doom n gloom. Small sacrifices for big rewards.

• Like 1

It isn't just me, if I go I have to take at least one son and grandson and that's minimum. Once the word gets round then there are two others that will want to go one in Melbourne one in Townsville, I looked at it last year and it was going to cost me the equivalent of a 10 day holiday in Hawaii after including accommodation and meals.

Robbie I don't need to go to Darwin any more than I need to go Sydney, Adelaide or Perth.

I go to Brisbane because I have a brother there but I would not go if that was not the case.

I long ago accepted that there are now a number of games that I cannot see live.

On the subject of cost I find it hard to believe that with our sponsor we could not organise charter flights with full planes at reasonable prices.

Imagine a plane load of dees returning after a victory.

We are babies in the woods in this area.

The MFC needs to get a lot better at organising things for their fans.

The players can spend the whole off season in Darwin for all I care.

We belong at the G, all our 11 home games should be played at the MCG. Just is a pointless hassle to play home games in Darwin. Just make money by trying to fill the MCG. If we want to grow a fan base in Darwin, then let's encourage them to get to the MCG, where we're meant to be.

Ahhhh so that's how Hawthorn got such a large Tasmanian membership base

• Like 2

Maybe but if more games are played interstate are you still going to consider your membership good value?

If the club becomes a serious finals contender, sure!!!! I hate Etihad myself and dont like going there to see the team lose. MFC membership is good value, IMO

Well.

They might as well play them at Etihad

..same diff

Im not really ever for a Melbourne to plsy home games in Darwin

Swing a deal where a couple of away are there... So be it.

Robbie I don't need to go to Darwin any more than I need to go Sydney, Adelaide or Perth.

I go to Brisbane because I have a brother there but I would not go if that was not the case.

I long ago accepted that there are now a number of games that I cannot see live.

On the subject of cost I find it hard to believe that with our sponsor we could not organise charter flights with full planes at reasonable prices.

Imagine a plane load of dees returning after a victory.

We are babies in the woods in this area.

The MFC needs to get a lot better at organising things for their fans.

You are quite correct OD. I made my own arrangements for the Darwin trip and that was better than what the club offered.

Last time I checked, turnover of $35,000,000 (don't quote me) for profit of $137,000 doesn't scream viable business, and even that's after some amazing people kicked in another 700 large, and some nice accounting (all above board Caro, F%^& off)

It's a different game now. Hawthorn has been brilliant in their strategy and are now a powerhouse on and off the field. We play 22 times a year, as long as I get to the g 10 or 12 times, I'm a happy man.

As long as my club isn't just 'viable' and can by into the arms race, I'm a happier man.

When we win #13, I'm going AWOL for a month!

No brainer in my opinion!

• Like 3

I like the idea of 2 season games there, ideally against teams who don't play in the heat much so we'd have a nice edge.

Would also give us two night games to watch (ideally not only on Foxtel).

However, I do worry about recovery and how well we'd go the next round(s).

Hells Gate, thanks for the training updates, in your opinion, over the footy season is there a more ideal time to play in Darwin heat and humidity wise?

Could be a good move, boost memberships by selling Darwiners 3 game memberships and a discount flight down to Melb to catch one at the G...

Hi Paul.

Too be honest the time they do come up to play is the coolest time of the year plus they play at night, somewhere around 18-23'c - no different to a nice spring down in September down there, plus with little humidity at all and normally a nice cool South Easterly breeze.

Theres so much hype from the journo's down south about how hot and humid its going to be but its actually perfect. A little dewy if anything.

Good idea with the memberships. I didnt get to footy much this year but I still pay a full membership.

Whilst accommodation can be tricky to find and pricey, just shop around. Flights are cheap as chips if people book early enough, we've been Darwin - Melb for $120 each way that time of year. We all know the draw now, like any holiday, book well ahead.

As for recovery, I guess thats one of the benefits of this current trip.

By the way i'm willing to help any Demon out with accommodation options if I need too :)

• Like 1

Tassie is lot f'n closer than Darwin

This is essentially an old argument and a real sore point for many.

Where we train is one thing. Where we identify is another.

If NT want to make a bid fair enough.

Thanks HG. I'm coming up for the 2013 game, shame we have to wait for Round 17.

Should be a better game/experience than watching us play North at Eturd the following week.

Alot of Hawthorn & Collingwood's memberships are also "pet" memberships, ridiculous, but an option we dont have!!! :)

HG I think that is a little below us at the MCG .

We would rather remain easy beats than to sink to that level

My God next you will be telling me we have to allow Collingwood in.

Really

Alot of Hawthorn & Collingwood's memberships are also "pet" memberships, ridiculous, but an option we dont have!!! :)

No joke I would sign up both my dogs just to stick it to all the other owners in my park and the chance to purchase a MFC collar

Hells Gates I think you have just stumbled on something here

I'm a little torn on this one. As a business opportunity and making closer ties with NT communities it makes a huge amount of sense, as HG has pointed out. A great er presence could give us access to some freakish talent if nothing else. However, as a supporter I feel we need to keep our strong ties to our spiritual home at the MCG, and hate to see us volunteering to play games elsewhere. If we want a fortress, let it be in our true home and make teams afraid to face us at the 'G.

There is also the issue of recovery. I know they plan on having our team cope with the conditions better than anyone else, but the fact remains that teams playing in Darwin almost never win the next round. From that perspective we are basically conceding a win every time we go north unless we can arrange a bye the next round as a regular feature. That could be a disaster if we are borderline top 8.

• Like 1

I'm a little torn on this one. As a business opportunity and making closer ties with NT communities it makes a huge amount of sense, as HG has pointed out. A great er presence could give us access to some freakish talent if nothing else. However, as a supporter I feel we need to keep our strong ties to our spiritual home at the MCG, and hate to see us volunteering to play games elsewhere. If we want a fortress, let it be in our true home and make teams afraid to face us at the 'G.

There is also the issue of recovery. I know they plan on having our team cope with the conditions better than anyone else, but the fact remains that teams playing in Darwin almost never win the next round. From that perspective we are basically conceding a win every time we go north unless we can arrange a bye the next round as a regular feature. That could be a disaster if we are borderline top 8.

WCE and Freo Travel 7 hours every other weekend.

This is one of the great myths

When the WCE had the players they have won flags, when they had average teams they have played poorly.

Recover it seems to me is very manageable and only seems to effect poor teams

So it is probably the players not the "recovery"

WCE and Freo Travel 7 hours every other weekend.

This is one of the great myths

When the WCE had the players they have won flags, when they had average teams they have played poorly.

Recover it seems to me is very manageable and only seems to effect poor teams

So it is probably the players not the "recovery"

Not a myth at all. It's not the travel but the heat and humidity in Darwin that cause problems. Look at teams who play games there. I think there have been a couple of wins the round after (vs startup teams and such), but generally it's a loss.

Just a little quick research:

I couldnt find Hawks but....

Pet memberships at these clubs:

Collingwood $42

Sydney $35

Essendon $30

Bulldogs $30

North $30

Fremantle $25

WCE $15

I'm unsure whether they would count but it is extra $$$$.

good gift idea for kris kringles to give people

Not a myth at all. It's not the travel but the heat and humidity in Darwin that cause problems. Look at teams who play games there. I think there have been a couple of wins the round after (vs startup teams and such), but generally it's a loss.

Hold on, "look at the teams that play there"! there is another (better) reason why their following week is often a loss.

Teams on skid row have generally played in Darwin...

• Like 1

This maybe the case, but if the sport scientist were to have an imput and agree that recovery could be over come, and I hope the club looks at this side, then Darwin could be a winner for the club. The Hawks are a model to follow with the Launceston experiment and Norf are doing the same in Hobart. The club needs to look at revenue raising.