Nine Days in the Top End

Barney Rubble

My marble was odd, or was it even can't remember, so was not an issue for me.

But I embarked on a career of sex and dugs and rock an roll and didn't take up running until I was 29.

I quickly found alove for it; was quite good at distances.

Since then have travelled the world. Lived in Thailand since 2000 and still runnearly every day.

I have run in the heat of the Middle East, The humidity of Hong Kong and Thailand.

So, I know the effects strenuos exercise has in hot climes like Darwin.

That is why I fully support this program the club is doing.

I like to think that Neeld and Missen are ahead of the curve.

Do you run with the bangkok HHH?

Knock em down rains has and always will be the very first rains of the wet season, not the last. The idea of the knock em down rains, which normally occurs in Nov/Dec, is that it knocks down all the spear grass that has grown during the dry. What you say doesnt make sense as it would already be flat from the whole wet season, someone has led you up the garden path.

As for climate change, dont agree. Weather is a cycle thing that has happened for thousands of years. At the moment the weather is confused as to whether it will be an El Nino or La Nina, which is due to sea surface temps and levels in the Pacific Ocean. Whilst I agree there are holes in the ozone everywhere, these weather patterns have been happening for many years.

Not trying to beat you down mate, but weather is something I do know a bit about. Enjoy your weekend.

Now you have me wondering if my mind has become feeble so I did some research and found this

Darwin

World

Pacific

Australia

Darwin

In association with Lonely Planet

Weather

Indigenous Australians from this area divide the year into six seasons, but in Darwin people generally prefer to think in terms of the 'wet' and the 'dry'. The wet season begins in October, when humidity levels begin to climb, until by January and February the combination of heat and humidity is quite stifling. The end of the wet is characterised by the fierce storms Aborigines call 'knock 'em down storms'. By contrast, the dry is a delicious time of year - sunny and warm.

Month Average high temp Average low temp Average rainfall Average a.m. humidity Average p.m. humidity

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/destination/weather#ixzz2EQTG33iN

Plus the fact that the speargrass grows in the wet season which is burnt off in the dry.

Some of these pre-season conditioning experiences seem to be trying to address the main causes of fatigue. The main causes of fatigue in an afl game are fuel depletion and the build up of metabolic by-products that are both delayed by developing a higher oxygen carrying capacity and a more efficient aerobic energy system. Of equal importance is the players ability to keep their body temperature at a level that is not over the top. They do this by hydrating properly and cooling themselves, even in the winter! Poor thermoregulation means that the body will send more blood to the skin and organs to keep the core temperature down instead of sending enough blood to the working muscles to supply oxygen energy and to clear the metabolic by-products - therefore rapid fatigue.

The body can be trained to do a better job at thermoregulating and therefore, reduce the onset of rapid fatigue and this could be one of the objectives of the team's Darwin camp.

I thought that an athlete had to train at significant altitude for about six months to really develop more red blood cells, unless they combined a short term period of altitude training with EPO or blood doping. The same gains could be achieved with hypoxic tents or rooms in Melbourne.

The team-building positives are probably the main benefit of all AFL team's training camps.

Thanks Pearl. My thoughts too on the altitude stuff was that it was not long-lasting - OK for Le Tour de Drug, but maybe not for a 6 month footy season.

Your comments re training for thermoregulation were interesting - I guess that could be better maintained during a season by "hot box" training rooms.

Do you run with the bangkok HHH?

No, but I run every day with a group of mostly Thai friends in a park on the northern outskirts of Bangkok. We start around 5:30am - because of the heat.

One of the nice things about Thailand is the way they organize what we in Melbourne call "fun runs". There is a very extensive calender of events nearly every Sunday. Thais call them "mini-marathons" which are around 10km (1/4 marathon). Now it is a little cooler (known as "winter"...hahaha) there are several full Marathons, including the Bangkok Marathon, each November. The most enjoyable aspect of the runs in Thailand is the after run "party". Sometimes these can be quite bizarre with girl groups (ala K-Pop style) and local bands performing at 7:00 am ! There's also lots of free food and drinks (not usually alcoholic any more though!!). Everybody gets a meddle and a shirt. And in keeping with the atmosphere, sponsors often supply some pretty decent prizes, apart from cash. I won a fridge at one event. Comes in very handy for keeping the beer cold !!

Now you have me wondering if my mind has become feeble so I did some research and found this

Darwin

World

Pacific

Australia

Darwin

In association with Lonely Planet

Weather

Indigenous Australians from this area divide the year into six seasons, but in Darwin people generally prefer to think in terms of the 'wet' and the 'dry'. The wet season begins in October, when humidity levels begin to climb, until by January and February the combination of heat and humidity is quite stifling. The end of the wet is characterised by the fierce storms Aborigines call 'knock 'em down storms'. By contrast, the dry is a delicious time of year - sunny and warm.

Month Average high temp Average low temp Average rainfall Average a.m. humidity Average p.m. humidity

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/destination/weather#ixzz2EQTG33iN

Plus the fact that the speargrass grows in the wet season which is burnt off in the dry.

Interesting, but I still stand by my first comment. Everyone that I know up here, including the aborigines, call the first big storm of the wet the knock em down rains. Storms normally gradually fizz out at the end of the wet, very rare to have a so called fierce storm right at the end. Also, naturally all spear grass isnt burnt off, only in isolated areas generally.

Meanwhile back on topic, it is very humid today after yesterdays rain. Hope the boys survive the long trek.

Interesting, but I still stand by my first comment. Everyone that I know up here, including the aborigines, call the first big storm of the wet the knock em down rains. Storms normally gradually fizz out at the end of the wet, very rare to have a so called fierce storm right at the end. Also, naturally all spear grass isnt burnt off, only in isolated areas generally.

Meanwhile back on topic, it is very humid today after yesterdays rain. Hope the boys survive the long trek.

Funny how things change change from generation to generation, the sudden short fierce storms in March were always called knock em downs in the seventies and eighties.

I don't know where the boys are going to do their trek; it is very hot and harsh and hilly in most areas I have been.

If you get to talk to any of them let them know about the air conditioned rock (Nourlangie Rock) near the aboriginal rock art. this has to be seen to be believed. A huge overhanging rock and because of natures siting of the terrain the breezes just channel through resulting in a 20 deg drop in temperature. Was a very popular spot for the locals on their walkabouts.

Maybe a good cooling down spot because they will need it. There is no let up from the heat, a 34-40 km trek is a fair ask at the best of times but up there with 45 deg hills, rough surface, little shade, snakes and goannas, dodging boomerangs (joke the aborigines have more sense to be about at that time of day) as well as carrying a couple of gallons of water, will see them looking for bedtime. My mind boggles.

Hope the lads are watching the big NTFL game up there between Tiwi Bombers and St. Marys.

The Tiwi side is:-

S Mungatopi J Puruntatameri D Munkara B Palipauminni R Tungatalum T Bongetti R Kantilla A Wonaeamirri E Darcy K Height M Dunn E Tipungwuti K Puruntatameri B Barden C Kerinaiua D Barden G Cunningham R Pupangamirri D Mungatopi M Fairweather A Tipungwuti S Tipuamantamirri

Anthony Tipungwuti is the classy indigenous player who has been with Gippsland Power for three seasons and tipped as a good chance to go in the rookie draft next Tuesday.

Hope the lads are watching the big NTFL game up there between Tiwi Bombers and St. Marys.

S Mungatopi J Puruntatameri D Munkara B Palipauminni R Tungatalum T Bongetti R Kantilla A Wonaeamirri E Darcy K Height M Dunn E Tipungwuti K Puruntatameri B Barden C Kerinaiua D Barden G Cunningham R Pupangamirri D Mungatopi M Fairweather A Tipungwuti S Tipuamantamirri

I'm sure someone posted that some of the players had the intention of catching up with Wona. Be great if the whole squad went.

I am very happy to see the boys finally drink a mug of concrete. I hope it doesn't take too much of an edge off of them for the season proper but I think in the long term, it will pay dividends. I hope that it will be similar to Hawthorn's trip to the Kokoda Track when Clarko first took over and put us on an upward curve.

Confirmed that the team is at the game tonight.

Matt Burgan's tweet:-

Now watching #ntfl match St Mary's v Tiwi at TIO Stadium. Aussie Wonaeamirri playing. #deesindarwin http://t.co/T4IkfrVP

The game is for the Wonaeamirri-Gregory Cup (I think part of the name is after Aussie's late dad). ¼ time score: Tiwi 5.3 (33) lead St Marys 2.6 (18).

Funny how things change change from generation to generation, the sudden short fierce storms in March were always called knock em downs in the seventies and eighties.

I don't know where the boys are going to do their trek; it is very hot and harsh and hilly in most areas I have been.

If you get to talk to any of them let them know about the air conditioned rock (Nourlangie Rock) near the aboriginal rock art. this has to be seen to be believed. A huge overhanging rock and because of natures siting of the terrain the breezes just channel through resulting in a 20 deg drop in temperature. Was a very popular spot for the locals on their walkabouts.

Maybe a good cooling down spot because they will need it. There is no let up from the heat, a 34-40 km trek is a fair ask at the best of times but up there with 45 deg hills, rough surface, little shade, snakes and goannas, dodging boomerangs (joke the aborigines have more sense to be about at that time of day) as well as carrying a couple of gallons of water, will see them looking for bedtime. My mind boggles.

Very interesting skills. I never ever knew that, Ive looked online and it backs up what you say & I have even talked to a few people who agree with me so maybe its been lost from generations. Quite remarkable, I have never even heard of what you say before. They are going to Kakadu from what I hear. That rock sounds brilliant, might have to check that out myself soon!!! The heat here at the moment is horrendous!!! Mind boggles also.

Anthony Tipungwuti is the classy indigenous player who has been with Gippsland Power for three seasons and tipped as a good chance to go in the rookie draft next Tuesday.

Try pronouncing those names with half a carton under your belt Jack!!!

• Like 4

Confirmed that the team is at the game tonight. Matt Burgan's tweet:- The game is for the Wonaeamirri-Gregory Cup (I think part of the name is after Aussie's late dad). ¼ time score: Tiwi 5.3 (33) lead St Marys 2.6 (18).

Gregory was the first Tiwi Islander to win the Nichols medal, which is the NTFL equivalent of the Brownlow.

Just been to the ground with the boys, watched the first game then everyone, except flash took off at 1/4 time in Tiwi v St Marys game which Aussie is playing. The guy still has all the skills but just not the fitness.

I was only there for an hour sitting with flash, Mitch, Dom Barry & Rodan. Flash was so happy to be back home, havent talked to him much before but hes a very nice fella.

Who looks fit:

Grimesy

Frawley - Looks ripped

Jamar - Fittest Ive seen him

Tom McDonald

Taggert - I dont know if spotted the wrong guy but god he looks big in the chest & arms, definite midfield role looms if injury free.

Tynan

Dean Kent - not sure what his numbers are but hes a ripped young lad, barrel chest & a swagger to go with it.

J Viney - hes a solid kid.

Rodan.

I didnt see Jonesy anywhere, probably went for a run the freak.

Who looked unfit: Bare in mind the heat.

Watts - looked stuffed & skinny, also been ill. Sometimes I want to wipe that smirk off his face.

McKenzie

Matt Burgan

Neeldy had bark off his knees, I asked him what happened & he just laughed.

Dawesy looked a bit tuckered out.

Anyway not much just a little info. A lot of new faces, will get around to meeting them all soon.

Dees did a training session with kids between games.

• Like 11

Hi All.

I just went down to Dees' training this morning at Gardens Oval.

Conditions were obviously hot and humid but there was a nice breeze coming through, it would help that this oval is close to the ocean. They trained for a good three hours or so this morning.

Training consisted of many full match simulation drills, including what looked like a full match of 10 minute quarters. Standouts in this match included Dom Barry - this kid is something else, smooth mover and beautiful kick, dominated, got the best GPS results out of everyone, very high numbers ... he reminds of a young and better version of Aaron Davey. Others included Nicholson - by geez he is quick and didn't stop running, Jeremy Howe, Jimmy Toumpas, Rory Taggert, Aaron Davey, Tom McDonald , Chip, Colin Garland, Dean Kent and James Strauss. Jack Watts' skills were outstanding however, he left training early and when I saw him last he had strapping around his shin/calf? I'm a Watts fan but he looks skinny - maybe suited to a wing than a backman's role?

There were other full ground drills where there were stoppages on all four flanks then it turned into two balls going each way then Neil Craig would yell out and there would be only one live ball which had to get down the other end for a goal, hard to explain! Lots of ruck/midfield drills, one after the other. At the end guys were doing repeat 50m sprints, taking in turns, Nicholson dominated this not slowing up once.

I had a long chat with Howie who with Dom Barry absolutely killed the GPS results, up and over 20km for a training session. Howie looks so fit!!!

Davey, Nicholson and McDonald also did well here. They can't get away with anything with video cameras everywhere, getting tracked up to the second with GPS through laptops around the ground.

I was asking Howie, Tom McD and Sellar how they were handling the heat and they just laughed and said it's different. Howie looked spent. Tom Mc said the benefits of training in humidity were not to do with breathing but to do with muscle stamina, kind of like they push there bodies to max out here in heat then in the cooler weather they can cope for longer at a time due to their core temp - something like that!! Tom Mc also said that some players have lost 5-6kg in a 40min session through fluid loss.

A big chat also to Matt Burgan in the shade, seems quietly confident but doesn't let up much. I asked Dave Misson how the players were coping and he said Friday was tough but they've acclimatised much better, they've had to re adjust the program slightly due to the humidity.

I met Jimmy Toumpas - bloody lovely kid. Would like to keep him as a pet!!! Just a great happy easy going guy and is absolutely loving being a part of the MFC. Players have been great to him and he loves living with the Vineys. He's had a good time up here, not liking the heat too much but said they've eased him into training which has helped. He too come off early, as did Jack Viney.

You will laugh at this - I told Jimmy Toumpas don't you dare do a Scully on us or I will hunt you down!!!! He laughed and said we don't need to worry, he couldnt be happier! Also said he's looking forward to the 38km Kakadu trek.

Jones trained all morning then while everyone was having ice baths he just kept doing laps!!! Freak. Sylvia looks very clim & trim, had a decent back rub before leaving.

Anyway guys I'm off. Got to fly to Sydney but I'll be back Tuesday so will hopefully get one more training report to you before the Dees fly home on Thursday.

Dark horses for this year:

Taggert, Tynan, Dean Kent!, Barry.

I must say our skills are the best and sharpest I've ever seen.

• Like 36

I'm very excited about the big Kent.

If Barry, Toumpas, Viney and the big Kent can fast track themselves to regular best 22 players the dynamics of the whole side will change quickly.

I agree mate. Those boys were standouts in match simulation. Kent played on the wing and owned it, fast and accurate, was great to watch.

In fact the skills have picked up remarkably.

• Like 1

I agree mate. Those boys were standouts in match simulation. Kent played on the wing and owned it, fast and accurate, was great to watch. In fact the skills have picked up remarkably.

Hells, you mentioned that Davey was a standout. That's great to hear. In what way was he? I watched him train a couple of weeks ago and he was last in every run. Did he run and make space?

Hells, you mentioned that Davey was a standout. That's great to hear. In what way was he? I watched him train a couple of weeks ago and he was last in every run. Did he run and make space?

As I mentioned there was a lot of match simulation so yes he ran and made space well, kicking beautifully. Was one of the top GPS results too which the boys were stirring him up saying he's old etc but can still run.

• Like 1

I think all this high altitude and humidity traning is more of a mental thing for the player.

Everyone says you have to train in these conditions for years to feel the benefits.

It's all a mental thing to push through the pain in that last quarter when they think there's nothing left in the tank to keep on pushing and pushing your self till the end of the game.

I think its great for bonding and it sounds like the new recruits are fitting in well. Its good to get updates on the website. Read on the mfc site about neeldys knee in bandages and wont say what happened. He is obviously just one of those people that just gets on with it and doesnt let it bother him.