Col Sylvia in 2013

P-man

That is exactly my point only 3 games in a year.

you asked me to find 3 games.

implying that he wouldnt have put 3 good games together.

you asked me to find 3 games.

implying that he wouldnt have put 3 good games together.

What I said is below.

"Grimseyisgod' can you tell me the year that he has done this in more than 3 games in a year?"

Only a bit of banter mate but my point is that he has never had a year were even a third of his games have been better than ok.

He has never been close to winning a club best and fairest I think that says it all.

I hope he has a good year in 2013 because we need him to badly.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

I think he is a restricted free agent at the end of 2013.

He might just walk

If he doesnt pull his finger out and get fair dinkum he'll struggle to even get a game. . He wouldnt be walking...hed be nudged !! Edited by belzebub59

What I said is below.

"Grimseyisgod' can you tell me the year that he has done this in more than 3 games in a year?"

Only a bit of banter mate but my point is that he has never had a year were even a third of his games have been better than ok.

He has never been close to winning a club best and fairest I think that says it all.

Never made it inside the top 5 in fact....

What I said is below.

I think all of you are pretty harsh on Colin.

Almost everytime he gets the footy, i feel as if something positive is going to happen.

I believe that with some consistency, Colin could bring his game to the next level in 2013, setting himself up for a HUGE 2014

• Like 3

I think all of you are pretty harsh on Colin.

Almost everytime he gets the footy, i feel as if something positive is going to happen.

I believe that with some consistency, Colin could bring his game to the next level in 2013, setting himself up for a HUGE 2014

Colin could do anything. But he never does consistently....

with all the talk of tanking i'm suprised people aren't talking about Col being played in the ruck during 2010 (from memory)

Also contested at least 3 ruck contests against Adelaide in R23, if memory serves correctly.

You get guys like Frawley, who when they come to the club, show pretty much straight away what they've got, and keep giving it.

Then there are guys like Nathan Jones, who start slowly but progress on a steady upward trajectory.

Then there are ones like Bate & Morton, who show glimpses of talent but never put it together for any extended period. (Juice Newton. We've had a heap of these in recent years.)

Regrettably, Sylvia is in the latter group. The leopard does not change its spots. If he hasn't put it together by now, he never will.

Chip is one of my favourite players, but there's no way he showed something straight away. He took quite a while before he came on.

Other than that, I agree.

IMO a fit Colin Sylvia would walk into any other AFL team.

Ironically, he'd have more value to the top 4 teams than to the bottom 4 teams.

And, to me, that says it all.

If we're genuinely building to a flag, we need Colin Sylvia up and firing.

He's the type of player that good teams need in big finals. He has the 'X' factor. And these guys don't grow on trees.

Many people here would prefer him to be Jordie McKenzie. But he's just not that type of player, or personality.

There's no doubt he needs to grow up and focus more. That said, I think under Neeld he has.

We'd be crazy to let him go.

• Like 5

IMO a fit Colin Sylvia would walk into any other AFL team.

Ironically, he'd have more value to the top 4 teams than to the bottom 4 teams.

And, to me, that says it all.

If we're genuinely building to a flag, we need Colin Sylvia up and firing.

He's the type of player that good teams need in big finals. He has the 'X' factor. And these guys don't grow on trees.

Many people here would prefer him to be Jordie McKenzie. But he's just not that type of player, or personality.

There's no doubt he needs to grow up and focus more. That said, I think under Neeld he has.

We'd be crazy to let him go.

Under the new free agency rules I find it hard to believe that CS will be at the MFC in 2014.

If he has a good year in 2013 the offers will come in from the other clubs who see they can get a good player for free.

If he has his usual year under the new FD they will not want to offer a contract at the same amount as he currently gets.

He will then seek another club who again can get him for nothing besides his payments.

IMO the only way CS will be at the Dees in 2014 is if the team improves considerably and he wants to stay and enjoy the possibility of finals in 2014.

And that's what concerns me. I'd extend his contract now.

The big problem as I see it RB is he may not want to.

Players coming up for free agency IMO would be mad to renew until the end of the season.

Especially players at clubs down the list.

although not as old as Rivers he will be in a similar situation.

If the Dees don't make big improvements in 2013 why stay.

Get a good contract with a team capable of finals apearances / winning games

To see out your last few years.

Col will benefit massively from the injection of bigger bodies into our midfield, HF and FF lines. I remember games over the past couple of seasons in which Col was our Full forward! We've relied too much on him, played him where we needed him rather than where he is best suited, etc... this combined with his injuries and persona means he's never settled in a position or role for too long in which he can really focus on being successfull.

Col will flourish up forward with Dawes and Clark as the big forward targets, and thrive in a solid midfield with Jones, Grimes, Trenners, Viney, Rodan, etc...

• Like 3

Many will consider this a biased view, and well may it be. Im about 9/10 over Sylvia for what its worth. Perennial tease. Hes shown migty litel for al of his talent. Now many will offer up a folder of excuses ( in their minds reasons ) as to why this has occurred and in all reality it doesnt matter sqwat as what is ...IS...and that is that hes a major underachiever.

Thats the preface. Barring injury I sense he may well step up in 2013 but not through any sense of self starting or honest self assessment. No. I think he will be shamed into it in a fashion.

And heres why. Sylvia was taken early as picks go. He was feted for his potential. In some ways he was part of a psuedo rat-pack of yongsters coming through. Here though Col relied heavily on his talent and little on effort or work ethic. A bit like the gifted student who only gets so -so marks. He hasnt pushed himself, he hasnt really needed to Weve been that bad a club at times hes simply got games on the merit of injecting him into the side in the great hope he'd fire.

We can go on ad nauseum but I think all will concur its been underwhelming to date. . However something has chganged dramatically. Neeld has now inducted to the club at leeast a half dozen or so footballers of varying ability but one common trait. They apply themsleves. They train and work there butts off and put in 100% of whatever they have on the day. This is the new 'line in teh sand" for all players to observe but if Sylvia has even the merest modicum of intelligence he will now have to at very least , monkey see-monkey do. His peers are now not so much the laughing clowning happy go lucky bunch of seasoned losers ( and I mean that inteh sense of they all experienced continual and institutionalised loss ) but a group of seasoned finalist and premiership campaigners.The bar just got lifted considerably.

Ego will hopefully drive Sylvia to finally pull his finger out in a fair dinkum effort. or he wil be cast into the shadows as an abject failure.

it will be interesting .

• Like 6

I think Colin could seriously become a really good player if he actually gets an opportunity with a half good midfield around him and a good supporting act

• Like 3

I think Colin could seriously become a really good player if he actually gets an opportunity with a half good midfield around him and a good supporting act

correct me if im wrong but i take from that that Col cant be a good player in his own right and that he would have to rely on others shoulders to stand in order to make his presence felt ?

what a crock if you dont mind. Hes got more talent and ability in his left toe than many an aspirant . What he lacks is sustained and motivated effort.

he should be leading, not leaning on !!

• Like 1

correct me if im wrong but i take from that that Col cant be a good player in his own right and that he would have to rely on others shoulders to stand in order to make his presence felt ?

what a crock if you dont mind. Hes got more talent and ability in his left toe than many an aspirant . What he lacks is sustained and motivated effort.

he should be leading, not leaning on !!

I agree that one of the downsides with Sylvia is that he should be leading.

I think that you are talking out of your other end because players like Joel Selwood are not the players that they are without the supporting cast.

You cannot judge Sylvia when he has never really ever had a star to shadow. Because i am sorry, we havent had a star midfielder in so long i cannot think.

Colin with a good supporting cast can become a leader.