WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

Dawes will play the second option presenting forward - drawing defenders allowing Clark to go one out and allowing Byrnes and someone else to crumb up. Im excited for Hogan (2014) and Fitz as well because these big blokes around will make it soooo much easier for them to learn the trade.

• Like 1

I hope not. he doesnt have a super attractive wife to justify him overstaying in that case does he?

How did we go from a forward 50 of Neitz, Vardy, Uze and Schwartz to Older Neita, Holland, Miller and Robbo to Green, Wonna, robbo, and Jurrah. When you consider that you've got to wonder what was going on - sure Nolan and a few others were fails, but we really never had a chance...

Dare I say, whilst ol Frosty had his shortcomings, effort and 2nd efforts weren't his short-suit. He just wasn't suited to the #1 fwd role, a role he invariably had to pay at times because we were so short staffed.

Nor will Dawes have to play as the lone tall up the sharp end. He'll be part of a setup that I genuinely think will worry defences.

What can Dawes do. He can pack crash mark, he can lead up mark and he's better than a fifty/fifty at goal. He knows how to drag a defender up the ground out of the way if need be and he's a solid unit with a reasonable tank. If not asked to do something he's not best suited to(rucking) he should partner Mitch very nicely.

Both are capable of either FF or CHF and will no doubt swap and cover depending on what/who plays on them on the day.

Most importantly he will cause our 3rd up fwd some largesse as we'll now have more breathing room from matchups.

In the past looking to the season and pontificating as to where sufficient goals would come from or the year , I'd suggest you can mark Dawes down for 1-2 per game, hopefully 2-3. Added to a possible 60-70 /season from Clark and there's your basis of effective scoreboard damage.

This ought to be interesting, watching our forward line up develop.

• Like 4

Dare I say, whilst ol Frosty had his shortcomings, effort and 2nd efforts weren't his short-suit. He just wasn't suited to the #1 fwd role, a role he invariably had to pay at times because we were so short staffed.

Nor will Dawes have to play as the lone tall up the sharp end. He'll be part of a setup that I genuinely think will worry defences.

What can Dawes do. He can pack crash mark, he can lead up mark and he's better than a fifty/fifty at goal. He knows how to drag a defender up the ground out of the way if need be and he's a solid unit with a reasonable tank. If not asked to do something he's not best suited to(rucking) he should partner Mitch very nicely.

Yes, while they are somewhat similar Dawes plays a far more physical game than Miller did. Miller worked really hard, but he wasn't comfortable crashing packs for some reason. It used to drive me nuts that he didn't play the big body role we needed.

As far as im concerned Chris Dawes is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only do we now have someone to take some of the workload off Mitch Clark but we have also infuriated Collingwood's supporters in the process! Chris is getting some really bad abuse on a Collingwood site. Oh well a last second winner by Chris in the next Queens Birthday clash should be enough to shut them up. 2013 can't come soon enough!

• Like 2

Nor the number 2 or 3 role if his form at Richmond was anything to go by ha hah.....

One of the more interesting things Cam Mooney had to say during his time on Trade Radio yesterday was surrounding the effect the big Q would have had on the Magpies forward line. It's generally excepted that Q was recruited to fulfill the 'Leigh Brown role', which as we know relied upon Cloke and Dawes. Mooney thought the recruitment of Q makes the trade of Dawes kind of seem strange. They are obviously either not pursuing the same tactic/set-up or as some have suggested the salary cap has forced Dawes to be offloaded

Anyway I would see with our pursual of Pederson we are seeking a forward structure similar to Collingwoods of 2010. Clark playing the Cloke role, Dawes playing his and Pederson the Leigh Brown gig.

Who else in our side will play a role in our forward half will be interesting. I'd love to see Pettard involved, obviously Byrnes will. Howe as the Fasolo type, Barry as a future crumber. Who else? Williams, Blease?

All bow to Can "Einstein" Mooney. He needs to get all his ducks in a row I would suggest before commenting. Hes getting things half right wrt to us.

Nor the number 2 or 3 role if his form at Richmond was anything to go by ha hah.....

I think Brad played a pretty good role for the Tiges actually

Im pretty sure Neeld has his own variations of game plans

Yep we are always looking at a game plan from 2-3 yrs ago......

Look, I hate to break it to you, but effective key forwards have been in vogue for 100 years and will be in another 100 years. They're not always easy to come by but the teams that have them are invariably at the pointy end of the ladder.

• Like 5

I heard Cam on trade radio and wanted to ring in but couldn't.....I wanted to say if the draft was over and MFC had

#3.....Viney(obvious top 10 pick)

#4.....Wines/Tompas/O'rourke

#13...Hogan

#28...Dawes

#35...Barry(selected to go in the thrid round)

#49...Ray

50+...Pederson

I reckon you would be pretty pleased with that

Look, I hate to break it to you, but effective key forwards have been in vogue for 100 years and will be in another 100 years. They're not always easy to come by but the teams that have them are invariably at the pointy end of the ladder.

Careful with the "key forward" quote.

Dawes has kicked 5, 5 16, 27 and 30 goals.

Dunn has kicked 6. 8, 26, 16 and 9

Bate has kicked 8,19,13, 27, 19, 4 and 8

He ain't the messiah and isn't a strong mark overhead (averages 4.9 against Bate 5.4 and Dunn 4.3)

Having said that I think he will be handy because he seems to me more competitive than Bate or Dunn.

Careful with the "key forward" quote.

Dawes has kicked 5, 5 16, 27 and 30 goals.

Dunn has kicked 6. 8, 26, 16 and 9

Bate has kicked 8,19,13, 27, 19, 4 and 8

He ain't the messiah and isn't a strong mark overhead (averages 4.9 against Bate 5.4 and Dunn 4.3)

Having said that I think he will be handy because he seems to me more competitive than Bate or Dunn.

I wasn't talking about specific players, just the concept of having up to 3 power forwards.

Edited by Ben-Hur