• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farren Ray

H_T

So you leap from an internet rumour to an MFC footy department decision?

I love and hate this time of year, both at the same time.

Yeah well you know these things start somewhere right or wrong, I'm happy to offer an opinion and like everyone else on this forum I am entitled to my own!

Ok I'll start again IF IF IF and AGAIN I say IF this actually happens then yeah I'd question the Footy Dep't decision. I reckon a few more would as well!

But it aint up to me... just those who are paid some tidy money to get it right!

Ok ?

We are not chasing any quick fixes. Neeld's focus appears to be clear. I read it like this: he expects within the next 18 months or so for a heap of players to reach 50-80 games maturity and then we can seriously challenge. Up until that time he wants to add to our list 23+ year old stop gap players with big bodies and great attitudes to help us through this next 18 months or so. Go back 12 months and look at Magner, Couch, Williams, Sellar etc... and you will see the beginnings of his thought process.

If we do get Rodan, Farren Ray, Ottens etc... it is likely Neeld does not see them as part of a finals campaign, but definitley sees the need for them in the interim. We need them while the younger boys get to 50-80 games.

Farren Ray is a big yes from me. Although he is not a big body as such others Neeld has recruited, he plays his best footy when the game is really tight; he is coming from a strong team at St. Kilda; he is quicker than a lot of our boys; and he has experience.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, what?

I'm assuming very liberal use of 'someone like'...

Well I mentioned that Farren Ray was a handy shut down/run with player in the midfield.

Considering McKenzie has that role in our team at the moment I thought it would make sense that if there's more competition for that role in the squad, then McKenzie would need to lift his game to keep his spot.

Just like if we were to secure Jordan Russell. It would put the heat on someone like James Strauss or Dan Nicholson.

Some people here really need to relax. Anyone who thinks a superstar is coming to Melbourne is absolutely kidding themselves. Get used to that fact and realise we will have to draft kids or maybe a Farren Ray or someone because no star will come to us in the position we are in, In regards to Ray I say go for him. Who would have thought Maric, Grigg and Houli would all play so well at RIchmond. He's 26 mature, experienced and a goal kicker when hes not tagging. I say go for him.

• Like 4

Theres only one thing wrong with your logic Maldon Boy 38 Magner, Couch , Sellar are depth only and would not be expected to be the type to launch a game plan on!

Edited by picket fence

We are not chasing any quick fixes. Neeld's focus appears to be clear. I read it like this: he expects within the next 18 months or so for a heap of players to reach 50-80 games maturity and then we can seriously challenge. Up until that time he wants to add to our list 23+ year old stop gap players with big bodies and great attitudes to help us through this next 18 months or so. Go back 12 months and look at Magner, Couch, Williams, Sellar etc... and you will see the beginnings of his thought process.

If we do get Rodan, Farren Ray, Ottens etc... it is likely Neeld does not see them as part of a finals campaign, but definitley sees the need for them in the interim. We need them while the younger boys get to 50-80 games.

Farren Ray is a big yes from me. Although he is not a big body as such others Neeld has recruited, he plays his best footy when the game is really tight; he is coming from a strong team at St. Kilda; he is quicker than a lot of our boys; and he has experience.

That all sounds grand but then why say repeatedly that 'no stone will be left unturned' if in fact we never intended to lift most of those stones? Why is our name being used in relation to just about every free agent out there thus far?

Theres only one thing wrong with your logic Maldon Boy 38 Magner, Couch , Sellar are depth only and would not be expected to be the type to launch a game plan on!

OK - you might be right - Farren Ray is more than a team fill up, but I maintain the basics of my position. The Dees will recruit 3-4 players who are 23+ with bniggish bodies to help us through an interim period and who will provide "depth". Farren Ray fits into this category in some ways, but will come with benefits, and they are that he could maintain his place in our midfield because he is better than some of those who are currently in it.

• Like 1

That all sounds grand but then why say repeatedly that 'no stone will be left unturned' if in fact we never intended to lift most of those stones? Why is our name being used in relation to just about every free agent out there thus far?

Turning stones implies you will look in every angle, every crevice, every hidden and secret spot and it sounds like our recruiters are doing just that. It does not mean you will take hold of everything you find. A lot of players from other AFL clubs simply won't want to come to the Dees in our current position - only those good enough for AFL but are out of favour or out of form will end up with us, unlesswe offer major $ like we did to Clarke.

• Like 2

I guess my point is that the perception when you have club statements saying that, and with papers and rumour pages continually linking us to failed bids on various players, is that we are out there being aggressive and being snubbed. I am not saying this is the correct perception and prettymuch everything that Whispering Jack says makes sense.

But there seems some confusion among supporters about what we are trying to do - primarily becuase the club isnt at liberty to tell us which is fine - but also because statements like leaving no stone unturned can mean very different things to different people.

• Like 1

I reckon Ray would be good pickup, lets make him a demon.

Ray is amazing with run and carry and would surely fill a void that we need.

Also we could give maybe a player and a late pick should do it

• Like 3

I reckon Ray would be good pickup, lets make him a demon.

Ray is amazing with run and carry and would surely fill a void that we need.

Also we could give maybe a player and a late pick should do it

Good points

*fingers crossed on this one*

with a midfield like next year:

Viney, Trengove, Jones, Ray, Wellingham, Mckenzie, Toumpas.. there is alot of potential for a real gun midifeld.

Than we could afford to have Sylvia and howe at half forward, grimes at half back.. where they are supposed to be..

could be the start of something big

because it always starts with the midfield..

Edited by Grimseyisgod
  • Like 2

Apperently Tim Harrington said tonight that we are quite keen on him? or am i wrong?

No...he said he was being considered but it was a matter of priorities and balance between youth and experience.

Maric, Grigg, Houli - all young and on the improve, forced out of decent teams as they weren't getting the games but still at an age that improvement with regular game time wasn't unexpected.

Burns, Ray etc, past their best and whilst potential will add leadership they wont be long term success.

Now I certainly think its reasonable to get a few in as we have absolutely zero leadership left if Rivers goes (Davey our oldest players then a huge gap) but I hope we still trim down the list low enough to get young guys in. And I'd still look for someone to be our Houli/Grigg/Guera at Hawthorn etc.

I remember saying we should take FR when he was up for trade and the Doggies took him... I would be happy to see him in the red and blue... besides, every team needs a Christian Slater look alike to satisfy the true romantic in us all.

I remember saying we should take FR when he was up for trade and the Doggies took him... I would be happy to see him in the red and blue... besides, every team needs a Christian Slater look alike to satisfy the true romantic in us all.

The Saints took him from the Dogs by trade....

And Christian Slater?....... You feeling alright ht?

The Saints took him from the Dogs by trade....

And Christian Slater?....... You feeling alright ht?

I think the meds are wearing off... of course it was Doggies to Saints (don't know what I was thinking). You don't see the resemblance to Christian Slater (that was the one thing that stood out about him for me)?

Maric, Grigg, Houli - all young and on the improve, forced out of decent teams as they weren't getting the games but still at an age that improvement with regular game time wasn't unexpected.

Burns, Ray etc, past their best and whilst potential will add leadership they wont be long term success.

Now I certainly think its reasonable to get a few in as we have absolutely zero leadership left if Rivers goes (Davey our oldest players then a huge gap) but I hope we still trim down the list low enough to get young guys in. And I'd still look for someone to be our Houli/Grigg/Guera at Hawthorn etc.

Ray, who I can't say I'm a fan of is only 26, not exactly past his prime

The trading seems to be a reflection of what Neeld and Co think of the list after his first year. 11 uncontracted players not renewed yet and on the block plus a few contracted players. That makes over 13 players. Now that's what I call a clean out.

Obviously doesnt' think this group will get the job done enough for his contract to be renewed at end of 2014.

Worry for me with Farren Ray is he isn't a free agent so we will have to give something up for him. Hope to hell it isn't overs. Wouldn't mind if he was a free agent but he isn't.

Think the trading period is going to be the critical stage for us not free agency. Free agency means you get a player without having to give up anything, so little downside. But trading means you have to give up something so we'll see soon enough what we think of how on top of the trading they are. Brisbane, Carlton & St Kilda went down the recycled player track and it didnt' work. Hope panic isn't setting in on this list and that's what we are going to be watching. I have more faith in the Club these days but lets see.

Edited by It's Time

If the price is right (ie, 2 year deal, reasonable $s only have to trade a 3rd rounder for him) then get him. Will likely be best 22 or close for at least 2 years while all the young players continue to develop. Very inexperienced team. Successful clubs have shown you can't get better by just throwing kids the wolves. So yeah, if it is a bit of a deckchair shuffle for say Ray in, Bate out...if the price is right I think that's a good (but not great) reshuffle.

Really don't think a Ray pick up will get in the way of trying to land a Wellingham (loooking unlikely but WCE still have to stump up to Coll) or Dawes or Caddy.