Enough with wanting to pick up other clubs rejects

Parma

I've been quite hooked on reading the possible trade and rumor threads. Its like trying to guess what Santa is going to bring.

However I think that some people are in fantasy land(and I say that with the utmost respect as this forum is made of peoples hope) We currently have the dollars and draft picks so lets buy 1 or 2 big fish if we can coax them and draft the best kids. I dont think we are in a position to get players that cant get a game in a top 8 club and hope they become players that will take us to finals. I know people will say what about Josh Kennedy etc. Yes it happens sometimes but we cant afford to take a chance.

We need proven contributors and kids that NEELD can mould into his thinking.

I've been quite hooked on reading the possible trade and rumor threads. Its like trying to guess what Santa is going to bring.

However I think that some people are in fantasy land(and I say that with the utmost respect as this forum is made of peoples hope) We currently have the dollars and draft picks so lets buy 1 or 2 big fish if we can coax them and draft the best kids. I dont think we are in a position to get players that cant get a game in a top 8 club and hope they become players that will take us to finals. I know people will say what about Josh Kennedy etc. Yes it happens sometimes but we cant afford to take a chance.

This isn't an either/or proposition. When we talk about Byrnes or Stevens we are not giving up high draft picks - we are just looking at players that can make an immediate impact that won't cost the earth.

I wish people would stop thinking like this is a zero-sum game - you can improve your fortunes in 2013 without sacrificing the future desire for a flag.

• Like 8

Lolz... Yeah BIG FISH! Who exactly do you propose? What "big fish" are available? How many of them want to come to MFC? You claim others are living in fantasy land and then you say something totally unrealistic... Sheeeesh

We're on a slow build. At this stage none of the "big fish" or "A graders" want to come to MFC, so we go after some medium fish and some B graders so we can improve enough to start to attract the big fish.

• Like 2

Lolz... Yeah BIG FISH! Who exactly do you propose? What "big fish" are available? How many of them want to come to MFC? You claim others are living in fantasy land and then you say something totally unrealistic... Sheeeesh

We're on a slow build. At this stage none of the "big fish" or "A graders" want to come to MFC, so we go after some medium fish and some B graders so we can improve enough to start to attract the big fish.

Seems pretty basic doesn't it?

Why don't you try think about list management from a more wholistic viewpoint. It's not just about drafting kids or stars, if it were that simple everyone would be doing it. The list needs to be built from every way possible meaning: mature age, trades, FA & the draft, and any other vantage point the club can think of. Our list has holes in it whichever way you look at it & I want the club to improve in any way they can by using the system in every way.

• Like 5

Goddard - Wellingham - Caddy - Monfries - Lynch - Jacobs - etc these are the players im talking about

• Like 2

Put it this way: at the moment we are effectively the worst team in the AFL and don't have anywhere near enough 'good' players to make up a 22 and are therefore very average, so we have to play our own rejects. The point is that the rejects of other clubs are slightly better quality than our rejects so can play a role to improve the side immediately, if only a little. That's my take anyway.

• Like 2

Disagree. I think we should get every player that has been mentioned on Demonland, all 73 of them.

• Like 3

I thought you were talking about "big fish"...... None of those players are that.

Agreed, Goddard is the only one that comes close. In reality there aren't really any 'big fish' around at the moment except maybe Tippett and the asking price would be well above what he is really worth imo.

Edited by ThePassenger
  • Like 1

Goddard - Wellingham - Caddy - Monfries - Lynch - Jacobs - etc these are the players im talking about

I'd take any of these (perhaps excepting Monfries).

The complicating factor in the recruiting of 'reject' players is the compensation for FA players. If we lose Moloney and Rivers (which appears probable) then we need to think about how our recruiting affects our compensation, which comes in the form of draft picks (calculated on the mysterious Demetriou algorithm).

So the statement that recruiting from other clubs doesn't affect our drafting isn't entirely correct.

• Like 1

Agreed, Goddard is the only one that comes close. In reality there aren't really any 'big fish' around at the moment except maybe Tippett and the asking price would be well above what he is really worth imo.

I'd be prepared to pay Tip A LOT! But he'll either stay or go to QLD I reckon.

• Like 1

In terms of trading though, I'd prefer to hold on to picks 3/4 for drafting prospects. I reckon one of these have to be on the table for that deal.

Yeah good point, I'd be ok with pick 3/4 for Tippett, I think... But I'd be nervous about it. I reckon pick 13 would have been close IF he wasn't so set on QLD.

Drafting is so risky, I love Todd Viney but I don't have supreme confidence in him as a recruiter, Tip seems a safeish bet.

Yeah good point, I'd be ok with pick 3/4 for Tippett, I think... But I'd be nervous about it. I reckon pick 13 would have been close IF he wasn't so set on QLD.

Drafting is so risky, I love Todd Viney but I don't have supreme confidence in him as a recruiter, Tip seems a safeish bet.

To think we got Clark with pick 12... Honestly my confidence in recruiting is totally shot after the last 10 years, as I expect it to be for most MFC supporters lol.

• Like 1

In terms of trading though, I'd prefer to hold on to picks 3/4 for drafting prospects. I reckon one of these have to be on the table for that deal.

I'm an unabashed fan of Tippett. He's worth pick 4 to me. He's a 25 yo who is a proven goal scorer over the past four years.

I think it is more a matter of whether he wants to come to Melbourne.

Recruiting top players doesn't offer a magical solution - how about getting players who simply want to play and are prepared to do the hard work? There are many young players out there who would welcome the chance to put in the hard yards just to get the chance of playing for an AFL team - look wider recruiters.

Recruiting top players doesn't offer a magical solution - how about getting players who simply want to play and are prepared to do the hard work? There are many young players out there who would welcome the chance to put in the hard yards just to get the chance of playing for an AFL team - look wider recruiters.

I already have confidence in Neeld in this area - look at Magner and Couch, both blokes who are prepared to work their arses off for a spot on a list

To think we got Clark with pick 12... Honestly my confidence in recruiting is totally shot after the last 10 years, as I expect it to be for most MFC supporters lol.

Clark may be a sign of good things to come, lets hope this FD can get it right. They started well, we have to trust they know what they are doing.

Poor post mate. Most of the players we are talking about are proven players (byrnes), or young with potential. Look at Grigg as an example - a reject almost from one and a GREAT player at Richmond. lets face it - other clubs 'rejects' are probably a step up from some... Darren Jolly was basically a disgruntled 'reject' from the dees - gees that one didnt pan out... LOL

I don't think it really matters if they develop into another Kennedy or not, they may become B graders or something similar and premiership teams (I know this is obviously a while away) are nothing without these sorts of players supporting their guns!