Swans Culture

Sir Why You Little

You can call it a "buzz word" if you like, but it still has gravitas in team sport. Sir Alex Ferguson instilled a winning culture into Man U. Other EPL clubs have tried to buy an EPL title, failed and nearly went broke doing it. There's the difference............"culture"

My point exactly...you have to spend the money....United need to keep succeeding they are so far in debt, one poor season and they are gone......maybe the "culture" there is fear....

Everybody who plays professional sport wants to win, it is what drives them to be at the top, otherwise we would have the AFL at VAFA standard

My opinion is based on sport was fine about 40 years ago without all these fancy words, teams still won (and lost) and the work environment seemed to survive without them as well....I played sport to win, if I didn't think I could win at a particular sport I didn't do it......that is the 'culture'...it is just some are not as good as others...but it can happen......but it does not need a fancy word to define it....it is just a desire to win

I had the desire but being the height of a large garden gnome I took a battering trying to win, now with pins holding where the limbs and other bits join reminding me.........but I won quite a bit, just because I had desire to do it...if next year we have 46 guys with a desire to win no matter what the cost, we will....but maybe a team will be bigger and better, the desire will still be the same, just the bodies might not be....it has nothing whatsover to do with this overused 'culture' word...

• Like 1

My point exactly...you have to spend the money....United need to keep succeeding they are so far in debt, one poor season and they are gone......maybe the "culture" there is fear....

Everybody who plays professional sport wants to win, it is what drives them to be at the top, otherwise we would have the AFL at VAFA standard

My opinion is based on sport was fine about 40 years ago without all these fancy words, teams still won (and lost) and the work environment seemed to survive without them as well....I played sport to win, if I didn't think I could win at a particular sport I didn't do it......that is the 'culture'...it is just some are not as good as others...but it can happen......but it does not need a fancy word to define it....it is just a desire to win

I had the desire but being the height of a large garden gnome I took a battering trying to win, now with pins holding where the limbs and other bits join reminding me.........but I won quite a bit, just because I had desire to do it...if next year we have 46 guys with a desire to win no matter what the cost, we will....but maybe a team will be bigger and better, the desire will still be the same, just the bodies might not be....it has nothing whatsover to do with this overused 'culture' word...

You have to spend the money wisely to gain the right people.

You went a long way about DL, but you are right, so much that relates to performance is in the head.

I agree. Young heads are heavily influenced by the surroundings good & bad, & even the good stuff has it's negative edge.

IMO our kids get it too easy as they develop which to my mind softens them & when they get regular games with us, the developing seems to stop or be slowed.

Our lack of depth has caused us to throw games at kids, that hadn't worked hard enough for long enough to get those games. The games came to easy to them.

So IMO those who didn't have a thirst for physical contests, didn't have to learn to develop a harder contested footy mentality.

I like so far, the steps Neeld is taking. And I hope he continues to get the support needed to tackle such a hot topic as our culture, because if we can't get the culture right we'll continue to be unable to develop kids the right way.

It's a massive job he's taking on.

It Needs complete buy in from all at the club.

And he needs to move out the older ones who have been drenched in the old ways. Not they're fault but thats it.

Playing Jack Watts in that 2009 Queens Birthday game was a disgrace...Looking at it now you realize the Football dept. of the day had no idea.

Probably put Jack's development back years...time will tell..but i do wonder if he does not attack the contest 100% because of that first tackle he copped..

shake my head in disbelief remembering that moment...

Playing Jack Watts in that 2009 Queens Birthday game was a disgrace...Looking at it now you realize the Football dept. of the day had no idea.

Probably put Jack's development back years...time will tell..but i do wonder if he does not attack the contest 100% because of that first tackle he copped..

shake my head in disbelief remembering that moment...

I was in the same boat WYL. I didn't think he earned the spot but it was a marketing exercise.

But I reckon making kids wait for they're first game, they get more & more desperate & can overcome they're fears out of desperation for that first game.

Once they've started to get more 'Willing', to do the hard things, IMO is the time to promote them to the senior side.

But the culture of the Senior players needs to be Flint hard, & uncompromising. We haven't had this.

I don't like the word 'culture'; it reminds me of yoghurt.

It's the latest buzz word but that doesn't mean that it's unimportant. In any organisation, it is important to help individuals develop a sense that they are both valued as

1. individuals and

2. part of something bigger than just themselves.

The organisation should add an extra element to each individual's sense of who they are (however small). Otherwise, it is just a pay cheque. There are a million different ways to do this but often a key factor is to get the right people into the right positions of responsibility.

Elite sport requires another level of commitment on top of this, so it's even more important to get the right people running the show.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat WYL. I didn't think he earned the spot but it was a marketing exercise.

But I reckon making kids wait for they're first game, they get more & more desperate & can overcome they're fears out of desperation for that first game.

Once they've started to get more 'Willing', to do the hard things, IMO is the time to promote them to the senior side.

But the culture of the Senior players needs to be Flint hard, & uncompromising. We haven't had this.

Yes it was a disgraceful marketing excercise....scared the living crap out of the kid.,

No other club would do that.

Yes it was a disgraceful marketing excercise....scared the living crap out of the kid.,

No other club would do that.

We were broke and needed the money. This was just one of many examples of poor finances harming the club's on field performance. There is a strong correlation between financial health and ladder position. It's not universal, but then it's not far off being so. This is why the club's new found stability is so important (and under rated in my opinion).

Jack should have been allowed to finish school and start in the VFL the following season. He is now making up for lost time.

We were broke and needed the money. This was just one of many examples of poor finances harming the club's on field performance. There is a strong correlation between financial health and ladder position. It's not universal, but then it's not far off being so. This is why the club's new found stability is so important (and under rated in my opinion).

Jack should have been allowed to finish school and start in the VFL the following season. He is now making up for lost time.

Yes he should have.

He got "Spooked" & now we pay.

We would have still pulled a crowd that day.

Bloody Clown School.

I like what you say and agree that your points are valid but desire is also part of your culture.

I also had have the desire to win but like you took a battering and was not obviously as good as you. I chose other sports , pursuits that I could have success at and even when failing accepted that my opponents skills abilities or maybe even desire was better than my own.

I could and do accept an honourable defeat but can only accept it with the knowledge that in that defeat I gave everything, tried everything I knew and would learn from that defeat.

I also learnt that you can contribute with others who are more skilled to achieve team success way beyong your individual capacity that you can add to a team in even sometimes intangible ways and sometimes your own mediocrity can be applied at the right time or in the right place to contribute to success.

Being injured at the moment makes me appreciate that there is plenty to miss in the direct competition but my desire to contribute will make me rehabilitate and contribute in other ways to my teams performance.

I see and hope to continue to see those virtues displayed by my football club and with a total desire success will surely come.

Send the MFC boys up the north face of the eiger or maybe kakoda roped together...more team building excersises where they reach their breaking points and the team has to work and rely on each other

Yes, I know, everything was better in the past.

Even the bollocks were bigger then.

Actually they were. The male genitalia has been progressively shrinking for over 1000 years. The latest research shows an increased rate of shrinkage over the last 100 years. Some scientists believe that woman will eventually produce there own semen to fertilise their eggs rendering the male of the species obsolete.

• Like 1

Actually they were. The male genitalia has been progressively shrinking for over 1000 years. The latest research shows an increased rate of shrinkage over the last 100 years. Some scientists believe that woman will eventually produce there own semen to fertilise their eggs rendering the male of the species obsolete.

women with balls huh?

think i might have met a few already

• Like 2

believe, it or Knot!

Some may have already.

On a side note I believe that Melbourne will follow a similar path to sydney this year. The swans have a habit of trading out their 1st round picks for players from other clubs. I believe Melbourne will do the same. I think one of the first two picks will go to the mini draft for hogan and the other will go for a player like caddy plus a 2nd round pick. It may not be caddy but I think it will be. If he is happy to come to us. I think we will get some picks for the experienced guys leaving around the end of first round or second round and I believe Gys will be traded. We will have a number of picks from 20 to 45. Our first pick will be 13 in my opinion. I think with caddy and the mini draft pick that gws and gc will not nominate viney. It's very naive to think that the clubs have not met already to discuss this. We will use our picks on guys like nick Graham and garner. I would love for Kennedy to make it to 13 but I dont think it will happen.

I think the "bloods" culture was probably about before Paul Roos.

Im not sure who took it to Sydney but certainly Roos used it.

Perhaps coming from Fitzroy where the history and culture was so prevalent and going to a new club where there was little culture developed assisted.

I have said Culture cannot be the responsibility of one. The culture must by its nature belong to all. There can be a players culture a leadership group culture a coaching culture etc.

There has been much mention of a club culture and this will develop the more people identify aspects and "buy into them" to quote the current phrase.

I was listening to the club songs after the finals and wonder if our culture is reflected in our song.

I notice most clubs have winning in their words. Team is also strong

Our song is about the flag (the emblem of the team we love) and old acquaintance

I am certainly not suggesting we change the song I loved to belt out when we won but it is noticeable when we see the arrogance of the cakewalkers and the winning/ fighting expressions in so many songs. Our song may well reflect the culture of the past when winning was assumed to derive from the comeraderie??? of the group.

Whatever lets get that winning culture into our group. Make them realise it will not be given has to be earned and will only come with plenty of hard work and intensity. We will all join them and may be able to attract others to winning culture.

Its still a long way to go,

Jude Bolton said on On the Couch that it was Stewie Maxfield when he became Captain. Said he was hard as nails and had an uncompromising requirement to perform for all the players. Said he would tell players home truths if they weren't measuring up and didn't sugar coat the message. Or words to that effect. Interesting it came from the Captain and he got the players to buy into it. It didn't come from the Club or coaches. Big ask for two of the youngest Captains of all time.

Jude Bolton said on On the Couch that it was Stewie Maxfield when he became Captain. Said he was hard as nails and had an uncompromising requirement to perform for all the players. Said he would tell players home truths if they weren't measuring up and didn't sugar coat the message. Or words to that effect. Interesting it came from the Captain and he got the players to buy into it. It didn't come from the Club or coaches. Big ask for two of the youngest Captains of all time.

Looking back, I think it was probably Ron Barassi - the coach from 1993 to 1995 - who actually convinced the people at the Swans that they didn't just have to make up the numbers in the AFL.

Although I finished my career at Essendon, I consider myself a supporter of both the Bombers and the Swans, so I was bloody proud when Sydney won the 2005 premiership. It's amazing to think the Swans will soon play in their third grand final in eight seasons.

I take my hat off to the fellas such as Paul Roos, Stuart Maxfield and Brett Kirk, who established the ''Blood Brothers''culture that has made the club so strong. The latest coach, John Longmire, and the on-field leaders such as Adam Goodes and Jude Bolton, deserve plenty of credit.

Looking back, I think it was probably Ron Barassi - the coach from 1993 to 1995 - who actually convinced the people at the Swans that they didn't just have to make up the numbers in the AFL.

Although I finished my career at Essendon, I consider myself a supporter of both the Bombers and the Swans, so I was bloody proud when Sydney won the 2005 premiership. It's amazing to think the Swans will soon play in their third grand final in eight seasons.

I take my hat off to the fellas such as Paul Roos, Stuart Maxfield and Brett Kirk, who established the ''Blood Brothers''culture that has made the club so strong. The latest coach, John Longmire, and the on-field leaders such as Adam Goodes and Jude Bolton, deserve plenty of credit.

says it all really.

The Bloods Culture is there.

Play for the Team or leave.

Hawthorn would have a similar Rock Solid Culture.

If Hawthorn win next weeks GF they sit on 12 Flags.

They had 1 when we won in '64.

Makes my Blood Boil.