• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Where the improvement will come from in 2013.

Norm Smith's Curse

Here is my take on 2013.

First thing we will see at the start of the season is a totally revamped midfield. A new midfield coach will click things together and we will see a young Josh Caddy and Jack Viney rotating through with Col Sylvia given more time in this area. We may see another senior recruit in this position but one who has played AFL footy. This new engine will inspire confidence in the team and lift things so that we are at least competitive and heading in the right direction.

There will be an emphasis on speed, spread and kicking to targets that will see many of out current list fall to the wayside.

With a solid preseason we will see further development from Blease and Gysberts. Grimes confidence will increase.

Jones, Clark and Howe - three players that have relished the new standards under the Neeld regime will continue to be stand outs. A new season and new hope will spark them into much improved performances on the back of a solid preseason.

Our forward line will most likely see two new players to stand alongside Clark and Jack Fitzpatrick (who will blossum given the protection and player drawing of big mitch). A new crumbing forward will add a much need potency to our forward structure.

Our back half will continue to see improvement from Tom MacDonald, alongside Frawley who will improve next season after a second preseason under Misson.

My call next season is for a breakout game by a young Trengove.

You will note the absense of a few from this discussion.

Personally I didnt notice Chips lack of fitness under the old regime. Actualy I didnt notice it with many of the players though they always looked a little small in comparison to the opposition..

I did notice Chips uncertainty and lack of enthsiasm this year though,from the very first game, and would suggest that he hasnt taken kindly to the schoolteacher and his approach.

He'll probably be looking elsewhere in 2014 I reckon....and there will be plenty of takers.

The second pre season,the new fitness regime and understanding a new game plan arnt at the root of

transforming the malaise that afflicts this club.

And its not all Baileys fault either.

• Like 1

Player attitude is one area needing a significant improvement. We appear to have a number of players who know they are amongst the 'regulars' each week who seem content to coast along.

It would not surprise me if Neeld trades or delists one or two of these to make a statement. Was it Malthouse who got rid of Sav Rocca early in his coaching days at Collingwood?

We have more players on our list whose places I'd question than we can afford to get rid of. But I do expect a couple of 'big names' to be axed.

Quite right Jimmy.Most of the obvious suspects are de lists because trades are haarder to acieve than everyone seems to think,especially when the quality is so low.

I reckon Watts is on shakey ground unfortunately.Sylvia may have saved his job with Beamer seemingly being made the example

Bail and the likes are at least triers...who do you think might be a 'name' that Bailey might sacrifice?

Personally I didnt notice Chips lack of fitness under the old regime. Actualy I didnt notice it with many of the players though they always looked a little small in comparison to the opposition..

I did notice Chips uncertainty and lack of enthsiasm this year though,from the very first game, and would suggest that he hasnt taken kindly to the schoolteacher and his approach.

He'll probably be looking elsewhere in 2014 I reckon....and there will be plenty of takers.

The second pre season,the new fitness regime and understanding a new game plan arnt at the root of

transforming the malaise that afflicts this club.

And its not all Baileys fault either.

Not every player thrives from being smashed on the track.

Along with all the other fantasys' that abound in groups like this is the one that says that after 10 games Clak is almost Johnno Brown ,that he's coming bacck better than ever after his injury and that he can carry the forward line on his own.

Not every player thrives from being smashed on the track.

In the pre season the story was one of a tailored plan for each player (shock amazement...duh) ,but around here the stock explanation has been punishing pre season,new game plan...... time and time again.

I'd suggest coaching requires a little more finesse and less generalisation than that.

I hope Neeld agrees with me and wish the blanket generalistions from supporter could reflect that.

Chips form (average) and attitude (read confidence) are almost my greatest concerns in this train wreck because...... we have a promising FF,an exciting forward/mid in Howe ,a promising back in Tom Mac(if his disposal improves) a mid in Jones who hasnt peaked yet,and in Chip a potential AA F Back.

You could almost fill in the spaces around them and build a team

Having Jamar & Gawn rotate through the forward line will be a big positive. Takes a key back and eases the pressure on Clark.

Agree. Under-rated area of improvement, this. We've gone most of the year with not only no ruckman, but no resting ruckman. With Jamar and Gawn next year, we'll have both. Immediate improvement in clearances, and someone to take a tall defender.

If we can bring in an established mid to assist Jones, McKenzie, Trengove and Grimes, that will help too, with a ruckman working for them.

Another pre-season for Nicholson helps him develop his speed and spread off half-back, which will also help. Frawley can only get better, and McDonald can only get stronger, which makes our FB/CHB combo improve.

Up forward, Howe can spend 3 months in remedial set shot goal kicking class, Clark will be back hungrier than ever, the resting ruckman takes the heat off, and we should be going after someone from another club who can help out (not entirely sure who is available or any good, but there will surely be someone). Fitzpatrick may even be a new forward for us, based on the last few weeks at MFC/Casey.

Removing Bennell, Morton, Dunn, Bate, MacDonald, Moloney and one or two more list-cloggers means more games for Tapscott, Tynan, Gysberts and Taggert.

We have half a dozen players to build a side around. We can start with Clark, Frawley, Grimes, Howe, Jones & Trengove having fitness & career best form on their side. Blease, McDonald, McKenzie & Watts need to work hard on becoming more well rounded players, all have the raw tools to make it. Performing better at the draft table than in previous years & netting at least two of Toumpas, O'Rourke, Mayes, Wines, Stringer, Menzel, Garlett as well as Viney.

Gysberts, Morton, Sylvia, Garland, Moloney, Martin & Tapscott mightn't be all be at the club next year but they are far better players than their 2012 form suggests.

Todd Banfield, Greg Broughton, Nick Suban, Mitch Brown (Geel), Josh Toy, Jed Lamb, Koby Stevens & Andrew Strijk could be afforded better money & opportunity at Melbourne, all should be at least sounded out during this trade period. Securing a couple of these types will go a long way to making the MFC a better side in 2013. Then there is the pipedream of a rejuvenated Liam Jurrah playing 15-20 games.

All of these factors could make us a significantly improved side in 2013, things can turn around but there is a hell of a lot of hard work to pass before then.

Its always good to be positive but I think you are being a little kind to some players and perhaps havent read the "due diligence" thread where a poster who does know what he's talking about say that player managers are flatly refusing to talk to MFC recruiters. MFC is on the nose from more than spuds like Mark Robinson

• Like 1

Its always good to be positive but I think you are being a little kind to some players and perhaps havent read the "due diligence" thread where a poster who does know what he's talking about say that player managers are flatly refusing to talk to MFC recruiters. MFC is on the nose from more than spuds like Mark Robinson

I read that statement & if true sums up a lot...we are so far behind now that catching up could be a miracle.

I'm hoping for 'improvement' to come from getting my expectations a little nearer to reality than they were this year.

Nine months ago I thought we could finish in the 8th-12th range based on the changed approach we saw pre-season. After 3 games, I sunk to a low which lasted all season. I now accept the wisdom of those here who say another rebuild must be given time, and that a clear out will take more than 1 season to implement. I really don't want to become further jaded and desensitised, so my goal is to find some way to lower expectations and yet still find positives in next year's form.

In terms of new or improved player talent, 2012 has been a really scratchy year. Part of my enjoyment in 2009 - 2011 was going along to watch the development of our up and comers with potential - in no order - Trenners, HWSNBN, Gys, Strauss, Jordie,Tappy, LJ, etc. This year, I loved the form of Clarky, Jones, Howe, Tommy McD and some improvement from Blease and others, but I reckon we should see more players than that taking steps forward. Really hoping to see an increased list of players who deserve to be watched in 2013.

Edited by bjDee

Its always good to be positive but I think you are being a little kind to some players...

Sorry I must've missed when the thread premise changed from 'where can improvement come from in 2013?' to yet another wrist slashing thread.

...and perhaps havent read the "due diligence" thread where a poster who does know what he's talking about say that player managers are flatly refusing to talk to MFC recruiters. MFC is on the nose from more than spuds like Mark Robinson

I said "should be at least sounded out", it's ironic that you're seemingly advocating we don't even approach opp players based on a rumour in a thread title: DUE DILIGENCE.

It wouldn't be earth shattering news if we weren't that attractive to potential recruits & I understand supporters being upset by that, but surely the club should be leaving no stone unturned in improving the list?

If that's going to mean a few (even all) approaches are met with scorn so be it.

• Like 2

ive just looked right through that thread and I cant see that anywhere. Can you refer me to the post number? thanks.

ive just looked right through that thread and I cant see that anywhere. Can you refer me to the post number? thanks.

I'm really hoping to see some better kicking from our midfield group. If they can start hitting targets rather than bombing blindly we may see some better scores on the board.

Fitzpatrick has bulked up nicely in the two's, and with another pre-season could be in a good place to be our second tall forward. He and Mitch could be a very nice combo up there if they can both stay on the park. If we somehow manage to get Jurrah back on the ground as well, that could start to look like a truly scary forwardline.

We have a wealth of options in our backline at the moment although they are still top-heavy. A lot depends on whether Bartram can get back from his knee problem. Otherwise we are going to be very reliant on Strauss and Nicho to be our small defenders, and this could continue to pose problems. Tynan has shown some promise in this area, and could be an option.

Most of us still haven't seen Taggert play, but he's got some people very interested. If he can get his body sorted out and get onto the field we could see some improvement through the middle. Obviously we want to bring in Viney for this area as well. Trading for an quality mature mid would be a big help as well.

Big names looking at being sacrificed at the moment: Morton, Moloney, Martin, Petterd, Gysberts and maybe Davey. I can see all of them being on the table at trade time. Of the five, only Martin and Morton have shown any liking for the new coaching style. The others seem to have dropped off sharply. Morton has stated repeatedly that he likes what the new coaches are doing, but he still hasn't been able to nail down a spot in the side and Martin is a very tradeable commodity and we have players to cover for his loss.

Robbie F #44

Robbie F # 44. He's a Foundation Member and I have no doubt his statement is true. Of course it doesnt mean that no one will come to the Dees but it isnt a good sign.

Now, don't take this as doubting either you or Robbie F, but how does being a foundation member equate to knowing the interactions between the club and player managers?