• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The worst season of footy in my life, 2012

tonatopia

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you Demonlanders who put up with my relentless barage of anger, frustration and bewilderment with the MFC.

We all belong to the MFC and we all want success, we just have different points of view. Please forgive me if I hurt anyones feelings.

Back to business.

I am still furious with the MFC board who gambled our clubs future by putting it in the hands of Garry Lyon, who then offloaded the responsibility of re-building the club in the hands of the inexperienced Dean Bailey instead of the proven Kevin Sheedy. This, by far, is the single biggest mistake that I have seen the club make.

You would think we would learn, but no! Again we give Garry Lyon the responsibility for choosing another coach, and he, for the second time, gambles our now fragile future by selecting an unproven apprentice M.Neeld over his master M.Malthouse and L.Mathews (who recently stated that he would have considered the position if only he was asked, ooops).

This is the reason why we are where we are.

I hope we are successful in 2013, beacuse if I hear another excuse, I will vomit. Especially when I hear Neeld now constantly peddling the 'lack of experience' excuse, while he pre-maturely retires Green and shows Moloney and possibly Rivers the door.

I really feel like this club is a becoming more and more irrelevant. And to think that blood and soul players like Moloney have lost faith, makes me wonder wtf IS GOING ON!

2013 is going to be mighty interesting, for if we don't show signs of success, the next rebuild will be made from the top down, not the bottom up.

Carn the Demons!!!!!!!!!

Good to see some passion, Tonatopia but no, no, no. Who is to say these four horsemen of the apocalypse (Sheedy, Matthews, Roos*, Malthouse) would have been any different. It's not all about the coach. The club seems to have a deeper malaise which is around loss of purpose in the national competition. let's just hope it's like the lawnmower which won't start after six goes (previous dud seasons, i've lost count) but sputters to life on the 7th. don't forget other clubs are facing big issues in the national comp. and we just have to get lucky with recruiting. bringing in mitch clark and hopefully another big marking forward may make all the difference.

* to make it add up to four.

I can't see any improvements int he team. Scored 40 points in four quarters. What are they going to do in the preseason? Sack some senior players and put the excuse in the youth. Junior was aked to retire prematurely and Green retired now. Where is the experience coming from. Port Adelaide assistant coach first because he was an assistant in a permiership team and then another assistant coach from a premiership team. 2008 was a disaster now 2012 was more than disaster.

I don't know what the answer is. When other clubs are called a proud club, I keep on saying our club is a proud club too.

Someone has to stand up for this club. Who is going to be that. As a supporter I will do what I can.

Great post, tonatopia.

Sheedy for 2-3 years would have really hardened a lot of these soft, precious kids up. Dare I say it, we probably wouldn't have drafted as many of them as we have.

Look at the terrific job he has done at GWS. I genuinely believe they are closer to a flag than us, particularly when you consider Neeld will turn over 20 players in the next 2 years.

It really is staggering that we bring in a media personality for a few weeks every few years to pick a coach, then let him leave back to his media commitments.

The worst thing for me is how little passion I feel. It was a horrid season, and I should [censored] off or worried about where we're heading / excited about where we're heading... but nope, nothing.

It's just meh, kick back and see what happens...

Once upon a time I cared so much more.

• Like 3

Great post, tonatopia.

Sheedy for 2-3 years would have really hardened a lot of these soft, precious kids up. Dare I say it, we probably wouldn't have drafted as many of them as we have.

Look at the terrific job he has done at GWS. I genuinely believe they are closer to a flag than us, particularly when you consider Neeld will turn over 20 players in the next 2 years.

It really is staggering that we bring in a media personality for a few weeks every few years to pick a coach, then let him leave back to his media commitments.

I don't know what would have happened had we got Sheedy, may have been good, who knows? But I don't believe GWS can be qualified as 'closer to a flag' we have beaten them twice, easily. Most of their best performers from this year will be retiring and being replaced by underdone kids (Brogan, Power, Mcdonald, Cornes) they have no dominant ruck or KPD and will be relying on young kids, putting huge pressure on them to perform. They are overpaying Scully by quite a margin and face salary cap and poaching issues over the next few years. Their core midfielders are good but not elite. They are relying heavily on drafting well this year, which is unpredictable. They will change coach at the end of next year. They have no club history, no culture and there is a large amount of resentment in the football community at large and finally if GC has taught us anything the second year can be far worse than the first, which for GWS would be diabolical. Not saying I see a flag in our near future, but I think both clubs are so far away that arguing one is closer than the other is farce

• Like 1

What worries me is there is no passion on the field. Which is why i hated Jack Trengove's statement last week...wake up call my ass.

It's the same every week.

Nobody REALLY CARES deep down.

The MFC is in trouble regardless of what the club spits out.

For once I Think Tona has a valid point. Sometimse its not what is being said but who is saying it. Perhaps a coach with some premiership experience (as a player or as senior coach) might have been a better choice? Im a Neeld fan but I can tell you that there hasnt been much to hang your hat on this year.

A terrible season by any standards and probably the worst I can remember.

2013 will tell us a lot more than 2012. This is a new FD (and a couple more changes are about to happen), which will assemble its own squad.

Neeld's game style is a polar opposite to Bailey's, so it stands to reason that he needs to reshape the squad, the way it trains, and the way it plays. All of which takes time.

A new FD needs at least two seasons to show its worth. Coaching appointments are big decisions because they take at least a couple of years to show their worth.

Forget 2012. It was another painful season after the false dawn of Bailey but there is still the same opportunity there to make rapid progress.

• Like 1

Good post Tona, and as you say, we are all MFC supporters.

As I have said elsewhere, this has been the worst and most divisive year at MFC I can remember in over 50 years.

The club needs to take bold, strong, innovative actions, and not just fall back on blaming the playing group - here's hoping the club is up to it.

The worst thing for me is how little passion I feel. It was a horrid season, and I should [censored] off or worried about where we're heading / excited about where we're heading... but nope, nothing.

I did in 2008-09. I believed in hope that we would turn good soon. There were exciting young recruits to be got! So it was easier to put up with horrible losses.

The hyperbole was such that the press and industry competitors "bought in" to it as well.

Doing it again is tiresome.

EDIT: I'm even tempering my faith in the great white hope of Viney. He'll be a star but I've been stooged before.

Edited by Deers

I hear ya brother.

SERIOUS QUESTION.

How many Demonlanders will not renew Membership next year?

Have just had enough...drained of passion?

I am right on 50/50 at the moment

2012 was just beyond the realms.

Club is going to have to work real hard & show me results from now on.

Life is too short to be emotionally drained by a football team forever.

• Like 3

Understand fully WYL.

I paid my 2013 membership a couple of weeks ago, but it was the closest I have come to not renewing.

Things had better improve from here on.

I have never felt like this before. Guys fighting to stay on our list didn't give a wimper on the grass.

They don't care. Why should i part with hard earned folding greenery for a club that obviously wishes it had, but ultimately has no passion.

It's those dam blazers!!

I have never felt like this before. Guys fighting to stay on our list didn't give a wimper on the grass.

They don't care. Why should i part with hard earned folding greenery for a club that obviously wishes it had, but ultimately has no passion.

It's those dam blazers!!

Harden up 'princess'
  • Like 1

The club needs to harden up not me. That is exactly my point.

Wyl.....Since I have been on this site,I don't think I have ever seen a postive post from you....ever....It's the clubs fault....It's the players fault.......It's the admins fault......It's the coaches fault......and all of this whole situation is Brent Moloney's fault......You don't like it when the club makes decisions to harden up as it takes time......And don't mention the Geelong game from last year......I think I will get my rope and head to the shed....Oh no I wont....I have to have somes drinks with my family.....Thank God for them....

It's those dam blazers!!

I feel this way. I will renew, but I don't feel like it and do it because I know it's the right thing to do. However, I pay for 5 other memberships every year for relatives and none of them care anymore, so that is 5 memberships I'm not wasting money on anymore and renewing. As much as I love the club, this year was the worst year in my lifetime I feel, and I get no pleasure watching the team anymore. I see no passion, I see no fight, but worst of all I see no hope going forward. Back in 2010 watching our young team play I thought we'd be hitting top 4 about now. Instead we have gone backwards in 6 years of rebuilding. If it wasn't for wins over expansion teams, which I don't consider real teams, then we've had one win this year. One win. And we are last. We hold no respect from anyone because we are terrible and weak and have been for decades, but the worst part is I see no hope. I don't see how we will improve and we sure as [censored] won't be getting near a flag in the next 5-10 years.

Edit: forgive typos this was typed on a phone.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 1

The worst thing for me is how little passion I feel. It was a horrid season, and I should pissed off or worried about where we're heading / excited about where we're heading... but nope, nothing.

Coping mechanism. I'm the same, but I'm assuming I'm going to feel something again when we start winning. I was on a huge high after the Essendon game - this is just proof to me that the passion isn't dead, it's just dormant.

Would love to know what timD thinks about this.