Who should we pick up?

Grimseyisgod

Oki Doki! Here I go!

Pick 3 - Brodie 'Angry Man' Grundy.

Best available & will be a gun! Will play 22 games straight up & will win Rising Star!

Pick 13 - Ben Kennedy if available or best available.

Pick 23 - Jack 'The Son' Viney.

TRADE

Pick 4 & Cale Morton (ex-Pick 4) too Sydney for Luke Parker (ex-Pick 40) & Craig Bird (ex-Pick 59).

We use Pick 4 too get us 2 hardened young midfielders not one. Great work ethic both!

Jordan Gysberts (ex-Pick 12) & Lucas Cook (ex-Pick 12) too Geelong for Josh Walker (ex-Rookie Pick) & 2nd Round Pick.

We get a big forward without the expense & he is young.

Ricky Petterd too Gold Coast, Hayden Jolly too Adelaide, Aidan Riley too Melbourne.

Need too convince Riley too come too the Dee's. Hard bodied midfielder. Exchange of later picks may need too be involved also.

Geelongs 2nd Round Pick too Hawthorn for Shane Savage.

Clinical and dangerous inside 50. Our small forward!

Free Agents - Xavier Ellis (HAW), Danyle Pearce (PTA)

IN - Brodie Grundy, Jack Viney, Pick 13, Luke Parker, Craig Bird, Josh Walker, Aidan Riley, Xavier Ellis, Danyle Pearce, Shane Savage

OUT - Green (Ret), Davey (Ret), Morton, Petterd, Cook, Moloney (FA), Gysberts, Bate (FA), Jurrah, Davis (Delist)

I would like too trade a ruckman also - one of Jamar or Spencer. I think Martin has more value than both though! Very versatile.

Oki Doki! Here I go!

Best available & will be a gun! Will play 22 games straight up & will win Rising Star!

No first year ruckman has played 22 staight up let alone a won rising star, NN is a freak and couldnt do it

Rucks - Jamar(1st), Spencer(back up), Gawn(project)

Ruck/KPP - Clark(FF), Fitzpatrick, Sellar, Martin

Caint see it happening

He'll goto GWS when we trade pick 4 to them for the mini draft pick(J.Hogan)

• Like 1

Oki Doki! Here I go!

TRADE

Pick 4 & Cale Morton (ex-Pick 4) too Sydney for Luke Parker (ex-Pick 40) & Craig Bird (ex-Pick 59).

We use Pick 4 too get us 2 hardened young midfielders not one. Great work ethic both!

Jordan Gysberts (ex-Pick 12) & Lucas Cook (ex-Pick 12) too Geelong for Josh Walker (ex-Rookie Pick) & 2nd Round Pick.

Ricky Petterd too Gold Coast, Hayden Jolly too Adelaide, Aidan Riley too Melbourne.

Need too convince Riley too come too the Dee's. Hard bodied midfielder. Exchange of later picks may need too be involved also.

IN - Brodie Grundy, Jack Viney, Pick 13, Luke Parker, Craig Bird, Josh Walker, Aidan Riley, Xavier Ellis, Danyle Pearce, Shane Savage

OUT - Green (Ret), Davey (Ret), Morton, Petterd, Cook, Moloney (FA), Gysberts, Bate (FA), Jurrah, Davis (Delist)

I would like too trade a ruckman also - one of Jamar or Spencer. I think Martin has more value than both though! Very versatile.

This is rreally solid effort buddy.

but are you sure that its not a problem we havent picked up any guns! mature aged guns, such as Wellingham

Oki Doki! Here I go!

TRADE

I like it Grun Dee, I'll give it a shot.

FREE AGENTS

Danyle Pearce: Outside small running utility. Can play forward, midfield or off half back. 26 years of age, 154 AFL games experience, fifth in Port Adelaide's B & F in 2011 and 2006 NAB Rising Star winner.

Jordan Russell: Rebounding half back flanker capable of playing a shut down role with good disposal. 25 years of age, 116 AFL games experience, two top 5 finishes in Carlton B & F's and currently in Carlton's leadership group.

Shannon Byrnes: Small crumbing forward/midfielder. 28 years of age, 108 AFL games experience & 100 goals. Two time premiership player who comes from a winning culture. I initially prefered Jarred Moore from Sydney Swans for this role as he's two years younger and in Sydney's leadership group, however if you believe the media Shannon Byrnes is a done deal which is still a good get. Byrnes is quicker I'll give him that although has no right boot!

TRADES

In pre-arranged deal with GWS to allow us to take Viney in 2nd round,, Pick 3 to GWS for MD Pick 2 being Jesse Hogan (I suspect GC will trade Pick 2 to GWS for MD Pick 1 being Jack Martin).

Jordan Gysberts to Essendon for Scott Gumbleton: 24 years of age, 28 AFL games experience and 33 goals. At 197cm & 97kg he'd walk into our starting CHF position. When fit he's shown what he can do yet will struggle to gget a game at Essendon with their tall forwards. I'd back Misson to get him right. Essendon get a highly rated NQR midfielder with massive upside and former high draft pick and we get a highly rated NQR key forward with massive upside and former high draft pick. Sounds like a fair deal to me!

3 WAY DEAL

Ricky Petterd to Carlton

David Ellard to West Coast

Koby Stevens to Melbourne: 21 years of age, 11 AFL games experience, former early 2nd round draft selection formerly from Gippsland Power. Good inside midfielder and a good build at 187cm & 83kg. Has had a very good season with East Fremantle in the WAFL yet can't break into West Coast's strong midfield. Very good at the contested ball which is what Neeld puts a focus on.

Stefan Martin & our 3rd round Pick approx 45 to Collingwood in exchange for their 1st round pick which if they end up runners up as I suspect will be Pick 21.

DRAFT

MD Pick 2: Jesse Hogan, don't have a lot of info on Jesse apart from the fact that he's a massive unit who could become a dominate FF/CHF. Exactly the type of player we'll need and is the type of player that I'd be willing to wait another 12 months for.

Pick 4: Either one of Jonathan O'Rourke or Oliver Wines and I'm starting to lean towards O'Rourke. Similar heights and O'Rourke weighs in at 75kg compared to Wines' 83kg, yet O'Rourke is equally as fierce at the ball and has that burst of pace that Wines may lack from the contest. Considering we'll have Viney who's a similar player to Wines it's making me lean towards O'Rourke with this pick. He also is a very composed player and a good kick,

Pick 13: Either one of Ben Kennedy or Dayle Garlett as I'm sure at least one will be available, preference is Kennedy. 174cm & 76 kg lightning quick small forward/midfielder. Seems to have a touch of arrogance about him which I like and is able to play midfield also. Will be the perfect replacement for Shannon Byrnes if we get Byrnes as a free agent. The pieces start to fall together.

Pick 21 (from Collingwood): One of either Matthew Haynes, Jackson MacRae or Laine Wilkins: With this pick (if we were to get it) I'd be looking for a really quick outside midfielder capable of kicking goals ala Daniel Wells type and these three all meet the citeria. My preference would probably be for Wilkins from WA who comes in at 189cm and 78kg. Is expected to test off the charts at draft camp and is one of the quickest players there with good skills. Think a quicker and better skilled Cale Morton.

Pick 26: Jack Viney (F/S): Don't think anything has to be said really. I'm hoping he'll become our Sam Mitchell.

Pick 64 (approx): Paul Marschall, 20 year old from Central Districts in the SANFL who comes in at 187cm and 80kg. Running half back with good skills and rarely misses a kick, good pace to. I was also thinking of Dean Towers from North Ballarat with this pick but there's a good chance that he may not last this long.

Pick 82 (approx): Daniel Nicholson: Rookie upgrade.

Pre Season Draft: Khan Haretuku, 23 years of age, 198cm & 98kg. Kicked 30 goals this year playing for Frankston in the VFL and represented Victoria in the State league match this year. Can play either end of the ground and is exactly the type of player Melbourne need to get some depth in our KPF.

1st Rookie Draft Pick: Ben Ross, turns 24 years of age in approx one week. 179cm midfielder but can play in a number of positions. Played a grand total of 14 games for North Melbourne and was delisted at the end of 2010. Won the JJ Liston Trophy for VFL's top player this year and would help add some experience and dash to the team.

2nd Rookie Draft Pick: Travis Tuck, 25 years of age, 187cm & 86kg midfielder who played 20 games for Hawthorn and has spent the last 2 seasons playing with Werribee in the VFL after being fired from Hawthorn over the drug scandle. Seems to have turned things around and had two solid seasons. Like his brother, is a very good inside midfielder but also has a habbit of finding himself in space. Seemed to come close to being picked up by us last year and with what's sounding like could be a large exodus of Melbourne players this year could be a very useful pick up ala James Magner/Tom Couch.

So this would see:

Departures:

Clint Bartram (ret through inj?), Aaron Davey (ret through inj?), Brad Green (ret), Matthew Bate (FA?), Brent Moloney (FA), Jarred Rivers (FA?), Jordan Gysberts (trade), Stefan Martin (trade), Ricky Petterd (trade), Jamie Bennell (delist), Lucas Cook (delist), Liam Jurrah (delist), Kelvin Lawrence (delist).

Arrivals:

Shannon Byrnes (FA), Danyle Pearce (FA), Jordan Russell (FA), Scott Gumbleton (trade), Koby Stevens (trade), Jonathan O'Rourke (draft), Ben Kennedy (draft), Laine Wilkins (draft), Jack Viney (draft), Paul Marschall (draft), Khan Haretuku (p/draft), Ben Ross (r/draft), Travis Tuck (r/draft) & of course Jesse Hogan to arrive 12 months later.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 2

No first year ruckman has played 22 staight up let alone a won rising star, NN is a freak and couldnt do it

I know he was a spud, but didn't Josh Fraser play all 22 games in his first year?

I like it Grun Dee, I'll give it a shot.

FREE AGENTS

Danyle Pearce: Outside small running utility. Can play forward, midfield or off half back. 26 years of age, 154 AFL games experience, fifth in Port Adelaide's B & F in 2011 and 2006 NAB Rising Star winner.

Jordan Russell: Rebounding half back flanker capable of playing a shut down role with good disposal. 25 years of age, 116 AFL games experience, two top 5 finishes in Carlton B & F's and currently in Carlton's leadership group.

Shannon Byrnes: Small crumbing forward/midfielder. 28 years of age, 108 AFL games experience & 100 goals. Two time premiership player who comes from a winning culture. I initially prefered Jarred Moore from Sydney Swans for this role as he's two years younger and in Sydney's leadership group, however if you believe the media Shannon Byrnes is a done deal which is still a good get. Byrnes is quicker I'll give him that although has no right boot!

TRADES

In pre-arranged deal with GWS to allow us to take Viney in 2nd round,, Pick 3 to GWS for MD Pick 2 being Jesse Hogan (I suspect GC will trade Pick 2 to GWS for MD Pick 1 being Jack Martin).

Jordan Gysberts to Essendon for Scott Gumbleton: 24 years of age, 28 AFL games experience and 33 goals. At 197cm & 97kg he'd walk into our starting CHF position. When fit he's shown what he can do yet will struggle to gget a game at Essendon with their tall forwards. I'd back Misson to get him right. Essendon get a highly rated NQR midfielder with massive upside and former high draft pick and we get a highly rated NQR key forward with massive upside and former high draft pick. Sounds like a fair deal to me!

3 WAY DEAL

Ricky Petterd to Carlton

David Ellard to West Coast

Koby Stevens to Melbourne: 21 years of age, 11 AFL games experience, former early 2nd round draft selection formerly from Gippsland Power. Good inside midfielder and a good build at 187cm & 83kg. Has had a very good season with East Fremantle in the WAFL yet can't break into West Coast's strong midfield. Very good at the contested ball which is what Neeld puts a focus on.

Stefan Martin & our 3rd round Pick approx 45 to Collingwood in exchange for their 1st round pick which if they end up runners up as I suspect will be Pick 21.

DRAFT

MD Pick 2: Jesse Hogan, don't have a lot of info on Jesse apart from the fact that he's a massive unit who could become a dominate FF/CHF. Exactly the type of player we'll need and is the type of player that I'd be willing to wait another 12 months for.

Pick 4: Either one of Jonathan O'Rourke or Oliver Wines and I'm starting to lean towards O'Rourke. Similar heights and O'Rourke weighs in at 75kg compared to Wines' 83kg, yet O'Rourke is equally as fierce at the ball and has that burst of pace that Wines may lack from the contest. Considering we'll have Viney who's a similar player to Wines it's making me lean towards O'Rourke with this pick. He also is a very composed player and a good kick,

Pick 13: Either one of Ben Kennedy or Dayle Garlett as I'm sure at least one will be available, preference is Kennedy. 174cm & 76 kg lightning quick small forward/midfielder. Seems to have a touch of arrogance about him which I like and is able to play midfield also. Will be the perfect replacement for Shannon Byrnes if we get Byrnes as a free agent. The pieces start to fall together.

Pick 21 (from Collingwood): One of either Matthew Haynes, Jackson MacRae or Laine Wilkins: With this pick (if we were to get it) I'd be looking for a really quick outside midfielder capable of kicking goals ala Daniel Wells type and these three all meet the citeria. My preference would probably be for Wilkins from WA who comes in at 189cm and 78kg. Is expected to test off the charts at draft camp and is one of the quickest players there with good skills. Think a quicker and better skilled Cale Morton.

Pick 26: Jack Viney (F/S): Don't think anything has to be said really. I'm hoping he'll become our Sam Mitchell.

Pick 64 (approx): Paul Marschall, 20 year old from Central Districts in the SANFL who comes in at 187cm and 80kg. Running half back with good skills and rarely misses a kick, good pace to. I was also thinking of Dean Towers from North Ballarat with this pick but there's a god chance that he may not last this long.

Pick 82 (approx): Daniel Nicholson: Rookie upgrade.

Pre Season Draft: Khan Haretuku, 23 years of age, 198cm & 98kg. Kicked 30 goals this year playing for Frankston in the VFL and represented Victoria in the State league match this year. Can play either end of the ground and is exactly the type of player Melbourne need to get some depth in our KPF.

1st Rookie Draft Pick: Ben Ross, turns 24 years of age in approx one week. 179cm midfielder but can play in a number of positions. Played a grand total of 14 games for North Melbourne and was delisted at the end of 2010. Won the JJ Liston Trophy for VFL's top player this year and would help add some experience and dash to the team.

2nd Rookie Draft Pick: Travis Tuck, 25 years of age, 187cm & 86kg midfielder who played 20 games for Hawthorn and has spent the last 2 seasons playing with Werribee in the VFL after being fired from Hawthorn over the drug scandle. Seems to have turned things around and had two solid seasons. Like his brother, is a very good inside midfielder but also has a habbit of finding himself in space. Seemed to come close to being picked up by us last year and with what's sounding like could be a large exodus of Melbourne players this year could be a very useful pick up ala James Magner/Tom Couc.

So this would see:

Departures:

Clint Bartram (ret through inj?), Aaron Davey (ret through inj?), Brad Green (ret), Matthew Bate (FA), Brent Moloney (FA?), Jarred Rivers (FA?), Jordan Gysberts (trade), Stefan Martin (trade), Ricky Petterd (trade), Jamie Bennell (delist), Lucas Cook (delist), Liam Jurrah (delist), Kelvin Lawrence (delist).

Arrivals:

Shannon Byrnes (FA), Danyle Pearce (FA), Jordan Russell (FA), Scott Gumbleton (trade), Koby Stevens (trade), Jonathan O'Rourke (draft), Ben Kennedy (draft), Laine Wilkins (draft), Jack Viney (draft), Paul Marschall (draft), Khan Haretuku (p/draft), Ben Ross (r/draft), Travis Tuck (r/draft) & of course Jesse Hogan to arrive 12 months later.

I

I still think Spencer and Jetta are not AFL standard. I would seriously seek a trade for these two.

Edited by Theo

after everyone else ill give it a shot.

well i suspect that we need some midfielders and forwards so we most probably need to get some new young players on board.

Trades:

Cale Morton,pick 64 and Jamie Benell for Luke Parker of Sydney. Luke Parker is a really tough good young player. Sydney probably wont take just take picks for him but i think if we throw in Cale Morton and Jamie Benell for him it would seal the deal. hopefully

Stefan Martin and pick 13 for Sharrod Wellingham and pick 21. No more needs to be said for this, would suit Melbourne Completely and give Collingwood a really talented player in Stefan Martin as wellingham is also out of favour with Collingwood.

Ricky Petterd and pick 21 for Koby Stevens and Matt Rosa. This one to me is a tough one but West Coast are not giving Stevens a go and Rosa has previously been up for trade.

Draft:

Pick 3: Not sure what to do with this one, we can pick up another midfielder but we could pick up a forward of the future or maybe even trade this pick, not sure.

Pick 4: Nathan Hvorat, really really good midfielder and will be a star of the future, has been measured up to the lengths of Marc Murphy due to his good contested footy skills.

Pick 26: Jack Viney, Enough said.

Havent looked at this years rookie draft.

Free Agents:

Would love to see Jordan Russell at Melbourne, Shannon Brynes, Angus Monfries and Clinto Young.

Although in Free agency we having picked up any out and out guns like Travis Cloke or Brendon Goddard, we have gotten some good experienced players than will surely fill the gaps at Melbourne.

Players that will not be at Melbourne Next year:

Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers, Stefan Martin, Cale Morton, Jamie Benell, Lucas Cook, Kelvin Larwence, Troy Davis, Green, Bate, Pettard Jurrah.

Mate, you don't give up pick 4 for two averages players.

You wouldn't do it for five average players.

Far from average players, they have everything Neeld requires. You need to get new glasses or watch some more Sydney games.

I would give a up Pick 4 for Parker & Bird in a heart beat. As long as we keep pick 3!

Far from average players, they have everything Neeld requires. You need to get new glasses or watch some more Sydney games.

I would give a up Pick 4 for Parker & Bird in a heart beat. As long as we keep pick 3!

I watch plenty of Sydney and Bird is overrated and Parker doedn't excite me enough to give up a top 5 pick.

Stefan Martin and pick 13 for Sharrod Wellingham and pick 21. No more needs to be said for this, would suit Melbourne Completely and give Collingwood a really talented player in Stefan Martin as wellingham is also out of favour with Collingwood.

Are you able to explain how a player who is "out of favour" gets named in their 22 each week, if not starting 18?

Are you able to explain how a player who is "out of favour" gets named in their 22 each week, if not starting 18?

Buckley is playing Wellingham because he is a great player. If he was the same talent level as someone like Blair, i seriously doubt hed be in the team.

Wellingham has had some past issues about breeching the Leadership group pact that was made between the group.

The leadership also got very angry after the Kade Simpson incident issue, and that is previously on SEN and on 3AW i heard he was out of favour with Collingwood.

It does sound sketchy, i agree

Guest Rassilon

I'm very keen on the following

17 YO - Hogan, but if we get Viney in the 2nd round think you have to consider Plowman this year.

Trade for - Caddy (Pick 13ish), Stevens(Early 2nd Round) & Jacobs (Jarrah) - then would like to get something for Martin out of Collingwood or Geelong.

Free agents - I would love Cloke & Goddard but just dont think we are a chance. Re Byrnes at this stage I would prefer to trade for him - but that may change depending on who we loose as free-agents.

Draft - Would love Toumpas.

Edited by Rassilon

For all those mentioning Koby Stevens, just gonna throw in another reason he may not be be getting games at West Coast.

I know a group of 10 or 11 guys who've all played footy with Koby down in Bairnsdale. They were ectastic when he got drafted because it meant he was leaving town and the club. They described him as 'The world's biggest [censored]'. Apparently stupidly arrogant, showoff and didn't like coaches telling him what to do.

The boys have now developed some kind of drinking game in his honour. I haven't worked out the rules yet, but I know it involves shots if Koby gets a game (something about trying to forget that it happened?)

Re Byrnes at this stage I would prefer to trade for him - but that may change depending on who we loose as free-agents.

Can I ask why you would rather trade and there for given up something for Shannon Byrnes when we could just sign him as a free agent which would cost us nothing?

For all those mentioning Koby Stevens, just gonna throw in another reason he may not be be getting games at West Coast.

I know a group of 10 or 11 guys who've all played footy with Koby down in Bairnsdale. They were ectastic when he got drafted because it meant he was leaving town and the club. They described him as 'The world's biggest [censored]'. Apparently stupidly arrogant, showoff and didn't like coaches telling him what to do.

The boys have now developed some kind of drinking game in his honour. I haven't worked out the rules yet, but I know it involves shots if Koby gets a game (something about trying to forget that it happened?)

That is pretty funny! Hopefully you'd like to think he may have grown up a bit and the fact he isn't getting a game the penny may have dropped.

But if he is that kind of a guy, then I certainly can't see him fitting in with Neeld and what he's trying to create down at Melbourne.

Guest Rassilon
Can I ask why you would rather trade and there for given up something for Shannon Byrnes when we could just sign him as a free agent which would cost us nothing?

Free agents are net losses vs net gains for compensation. I'm factoring in we lose Moloney, Bate and outside chance we lose Dunn or Rivers. But I must confess Im not super keen on Byrnes.

Edited by Rassilon

I

I still think Spencer and Jetta are not AFL standard. I would seriously seek a trade for these two.

I think they'll give Spencer a two year deal, mainly as insurance for Max Gawn to see how he goes coming back from his knee.

If Gawn gets through 2013 pretty well then I'd expect Spencer to be traded at the end of that season for whatever we can get. Pretty low draft pick most likely.

As for Jetta, I still think he can make the grade.

3/Hogan

4/Wines

13/Best Available

23/Viney

Is my dream draft.. 4 walk up starters for us, arguably best 22 without playing a game -Culture changed, KPF locked up. We must nail this draft! NQR's from other clubs aren't going to be the difference. Although in saying that, if Neeld can identify talent that is available and he feels he can get something from them I will back his judgement.

Wouldn't mind a Byrnes or Russell type. Both bring pace at least. Something we lack. Maybe even a Pearce type. If we lose Davey we have no real small forwards at all. I'll be happy to try anything if I can get something through FA

• Like 1

Jake Spencer has potential to be a good player, but i dont think that Jetta is any good

Jake Spencer would be a handy player if we were in the 1980's but his skills are atrocious and, even if he is decent in the ruck, you just can't carry those types of players anymore. Every time he goes to kick every Demon fan shudders. Can't fault his effort but he won't make it.

Every time he goes to kick every Demon fan shudders. Can't fault his effort but he won't make it.

hahhaa, i cannot say i dont disagree, but i like his attack on the footy.

Mark my words though, id rather pick up Will Minson and have him sitting there.

But seriously, Gawn wasnt terrific either, he was ok

Maybe even a Pearce type. If we lose Davey we have no real small forwards at all. I'll be happy to try anything if I can get something through FA

Pearce is a half back flanker/wing.

Brynes is the replacement for davey, he can crumb and run

Would love the club to target JP Kennedy from Sydney - I belive contact talks are on hold with Sydney.Swans (not 100% sure)

Throw a truckload of cash at him and pick 13 + player (Gysberts/Cook/Martin) or pick 3 or 4 what ever gets the job done to Sydney

Not likely to leave Sydney but would be a great pick up - some real class in the middle

Would love the club to target JP Kennedy from Sydney - I belive contact talks are on hold with Sydney.Swans (not 100% sure)

Throw a truckload of cash at him and pick 13 + player (Gysberts/Cook/Martin) or pick 3 or 4 what ever gets the job done to Sydney

Not likely to leave Sydney but would be a great pick up - some real class in the middle

I agree, would potentially kill it for Melbourne.

Not only is he a good contested mark his clearance work is crazy good.

He is actually a freak