Are we preparing to give up our draft picks?

Hampton 22

Guest José Mourinho

Geelong's first rounder won't be far off 13.

True, but our pick 12 wasn't far off Freo's pick 16 last year either.

In the end, we were simply able to offer more to both player and club, and that sealed the deal.

Do you agree that the only way we'll get Boak is if he chooses us over Geelong because of dollars ?

No I don't agree that it's the ONLY way, although I do agree that would be ideal, because then we'd only need to equal Geelong's best bid.

He has to be not dead set against coming to us and we have to offer him better $s than Geelong for this to happen, then if we offer Port a significantly better deal they can lean on him to accept our offer.

Edit: look there's an excellent argument for paying Boak $s way over what he's worth to get him to the club so we don't have to spend the early pick. Clearly Geelong is a preferrable destination success and location-wise for him, but if we offer him a 50% premium he would think twice. If we can afford it in the TPP it's more affordable than burning early picks. That's why I'm not against a stupendous offer for Cloke - if we can afford it in the TPP then we get him for free.

There'll be the inevitable cry-babies "ooh-woe we're paying them too much, much more than they're worth", but the caravan rolls on ...

You also need to take into account the Western Bulldogs, they will finish 14th giving them picks 6 and 7.

15th I hope with picks 5 & 6. We're not going to get Boak + 7 for 4 + 13 if Port finish 15th.

The argument that we don't want to spend pick 4 on Boak is a fine one but to support it with the alternative of pick 13 and a player is unsustainable. Pick 13 and a player is not going to get you near Boak, Geelong will be able to offer something quite similar. The only way he'll get to MFC is with pick 4 in the mix and a deal too good for Port Adelaide to ignore. I'm happy for posters to push the use 3 & 4 in the draft line but you need to accept that it means no Boak and stop icing your cake with that idea. The best case Boak solution is 4 + 13 for Boak + 7.

Caddy might be a different proposition because Essendon's first available pick will be well in the 30s after they use their first rounder on Daniher. 13 plus a player may have traction there dependingon whether anyone else gets involved.

We've got a lot of alternatives when you work in pick 3 for Jack Martin. This has the advantage of guaranteeing Viney in the 2nd round because I don't think GC will bid for him.

I still like Martin, Boak, pick 7 and Viney - it's a good problem to have.

Good, maybe (there must be a big question over the young lad living in the big smoke) & a clean deal IF agreed by all parties,,, BUT we could do better with guts hard work & application.

Take EM to task, stand your ground Melbourne...

No I don't agree that it's the ONLY way, although I do agree that would be ideal, because then we'd only need to equal Geelong's best bid.

He has to be not dead set against coming to us and we have to offer him better $s than Geelong for this to happen, then if we offer Port a significantly better deal they can lean on him to accept our offer.

In reality, if Boak says he would entertain the idea of going to Melbourne he's really chosen Melbourne, because clearly we would be offering far better coin.

It's one and the same to me.

Edited by Ben-Hur

It doesn't matter that Geelong hasn't activated their compo pick if they trade it.

If Port gets the pick then they are allowed to activate it for this draft, regardless of whether it has previously been activated by Geelong. It just means that Geelong can't use it to select a player in this draft.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter that Geelong hasn't activated their compo pick if they trade it.

If Port gets the pick then they are allowed to activate it for this draft, regardless of whether it has previously been activated by Geelong. It just means that Geelong can't use it to select a player in this draft.

I know that, but picks are seemingly more valuable in this yeas draft, they could trade it to be activated for next years draft, but Port are in a rebuild so it would need to be jazzed up with a player who'd impact next season.

Edited by dee-luded

That's not right. For a compo pick to be used in a draft, it must have been activated by a certain date. That date has now passed. You can't trade it and then the new owner activates it after the deadline.

"Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL season in that particular year."

• Like 3

EDIT: Going through the AFL rules I don't see anything supporting what I was saying. I think that I probably had my wires crossed and it is very probable that a club that has a compensation pick traded to it cannot change its activation status.

Edited by Axis of Bob

Once it is traded the new club can nominate to use it in that draft or not.

Looks like you were right.

" For the selection to be activated for any of the years 2012-2015 in the NAB AFL Draft of that particular year, Melbourne will be required to notify the AFL of its intention to use the selection by the last Tuesday of that particular year, prior to the start of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The club has the right to on-trade its compensation selection to another club.

If the club on-trades its compensation selection to another club, the selection may be used in that year's NAB AFL Draft Selection meeting, or in any other year up to the 2015 NAB AFL Draft."

Edited by Redleg

" For the selection to be activated for any of the years 2012-2015 in the NAB AFL Draft of that particular year, Melbourne will be required to notify the AFL of its intention to use the selection by the last Tuesday of that particular year, prior to the start of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

If the club on-trades its compensation selection to another club, the selection may be used in that year's NAB AFL Draft Selection meeting, or in any other year up to the 2015 NAB AFL Draft."

That's what I remember, but I don't know whether or not that applies only to us trading the selection last year, or if it applies to any year.

It is funny that we both conceded to each other, and now appear to be arguing the exact opposite points!! :)

Well, there ya go. It's true.

That's what I remember, but I don't know whether or not that applies only to us trading the selection last year, or if it applies to any year.

It is funny that we both conceded to each other, and now appear to be arguing the exact opposite points!! :)

Certainly a strange rule that allows a non activated compensation pick to be traded and then activated by the new owner, after the deadline. Then again it is an "AFL" rule.

How about this one as a hypothetical?

Owner of compo pick doesn't activate this year by deadline, then has a poor year and finishes near bottom. Wants to use pick this year. Trades pick to another club. Club then trades pick back. Assisting club gets a player or improved position in a later round. Original club then activates the pick. What rule stops that?

ok ill ask.. Not being pedantic...but hell the AFL does get so.

Is it only active IF the originating club activates it and trades it on ?

Get very convoluted doesnt it. Theyre sneaky dem AFL bastards !!

In reality, if Boak says he would entertain the idea of going to Melbourne he's really chosen Melbourne, because clearly we would be offering far better coin.

It's one and the same to me.

I don't think it is, he might say:

I want to go to Geelong and over my dead body will I go to that rabble Melbourne - here Port would have to threaten to put him in the draft if we're offering a better trade deal.

or

I prefer to go to Geelong, even though Melbourne is offering better coin - here Port could convince him to go to Melbourne for a better trade deal

or

I want to go to Melbourne because they're offering better coin - here we don't have to better Geelong's trade deal.

As I posted in the Boak thread:

One interesting special variable this year in the Travis Boak story that works heavily in our favour is that if we bid against Geelong for Boak and offer Port a significantly better trade deal. If Port hangs tough with Boak and says go to Melbourne or go in the draft - if GWS finish last and Boak (out of contract) is picked by up them then Port get compensation picks. That makes it much more likely that Port would play hardball.

This rule was enacted to prevent uncontracted players going to GC or GWS via the draft, where they have all the early picks, and teams not getting any compensation.

I think the reality is that if he's only interested in Geelong a deal will get done.

Melbourne need to make an offer he can't refuse to win his services imo.

If that is the case let him go and start working on Wellingham,Beams or Goddard