Who could be cut? (if we made the call now)

jurrahcane

Gone: Jetta (not good enought to warrant a year out), Bennell (pace good, heart & footy smarts are non existent), Bate (just not there right now), Green (lost any pace & agility)

50/50: Fitzpatrick (he may not develop, only glimpses), Petterd (give me something Ricky)

On the very edge: Joel Macdonald, But I do like his G&D), Lynden Dunn (will need to show he is more consistent)

Possible trade: Cale Morton (to Eagles for Koby Stevens or to Sydney for Brett Meredith)

We need to cut 6, and elevate Daniel Nicholson. This gives us 5 picks in superdraft say 3,4 (Viney),12, 22, 42. The top40 are up to standard but this draft is not deep.

why not? we are halfway through the year with one.win on the board.

We will not make the finals so what is the harm in talking delistings?

The eagles will never take Cale after the trouble they had with the Morton family.

Depending on who you mean by we....Demonland posters would go for Cale Morton in a heartbeat, but for Stevens? I dont think WC take drugs anymore since the departure of their infamous son, but hey never know your luck in a big wide world.

Let's have a look at the list.

Bail has shown some glimpses, and also some glaring deficiencies. One thing he does though is try all day, which Neeld loves.

Bartram may be a surprise loss if his knee is as bad as they are making out. This could be the salvation of one of our mid-tier players.

Bate at this stage hasn't done enough, so would have to be on the block.

Bennell I think has had his chance and failed to take it. For all his pace and the occasional glimpse of silky skill he simply doesn't touch the ball often enough.

Blease is just beginning to show what he can do. Still needs to work on his defence, but will be kept.

Clark obviously will stay. Sets the standard in so many areas it's not funny.

Cook is starting to show signs that he will be able to play once he fills out a bit.

Davey might do better to retire, but I don't think he will. May be pushed, although his off-field role with the younger indigenous boys could save him.

Davis is a harsh one. He's nearing the end of his first two year contract and hasn't played a game. Could be that the coach isn't a big fan.

Dunn is our best defensive forward, but he is finding it hard to get games in that role for some reason. Again, it could be a case of not being on the coaches radar enough to be kept.

Fitzpatrick should be safe. Given the general rule that talls take longer and his impressive array of disorders, he should be given more time to find his way.

Frawley is a no-brainer. AA defender. Safe.

Garland is also safe. Even with his bad kicking, he is a regular starter and now has the extra string of playing forward.

Gawn will be back next year. Neeld won't throw away a 207cm ruck who he's never seen play.

I think Green is going to pull the plug and retire. Probably angle for a final home game later this year.

Grimes is safe. Named Captain and is playing better each week.

Gysberts needs to work on his endurance, but has the size and agility to be our Pendleberry. Should be fine even with his injury worries.

Howe is in no danger. Coach loves him.

Jamar just signed for three more years.

Jetta is another one who could be hard done by. I think he suits Neeld down to the ground, but if he can't get on the park and prove it he could be in trouble.

Jones is thriving under Neeld and will carry the banner for the new way of doing things for years to come.

Jurrah kind of depends on the outcome of his court case. If he winds up in Jail, could be the end.

MacDonald should be moved on at the end of the year. While he was a good player for us at the time, he is now being exposed with poor pace, decision making and skills. Still a good 1-1 competitor, but has been leapfrogged by younger, better players.

McDonald has had a great year and is certain to be kept on.

McKenzie I'm not 100% sure of. While he is loved by the fans, we have to admit that he is very limited. He fights and tackles, but his disposal and speed are issues. Might be a shock.

Martin has value in the second ruck/forward role, but has struggled with form and injury and his skills still aren't great. Might be floated as trade bait.

Moloney should be safe. Even though he has had a poor year, we need to keep some senior players around the place, and he could be it. Slim chance for trading, but my money is on his staying.

Morton is 50/50 to my mind. He has improved under Neeld, but he needs more discipline to go with the better output.

Petterd is iffy. He has had some injuries, but even so is clearly no tin Neelds best 22. Struggling to get game time. Trade Bait for mine.

Rivers has really stepped up this year. He's found his mojo again and is leading the way in the backline. Safe.

Sellar isn't the greatest player, but Neeld clearly likes what he brings to the table. In many ways he is a bigger, more athletic version of Warnock, and may well stay in that role.

Spencer needs to start showing something. He's about to hit 23, so even as a ruck he's just about to run out of time. Has to break into the seniors or he's gone.

Strauss was just starting to look like a player when his leg went. Should be ok, but I think we need to se him string some games together

Sylvia continues to frustrate us all. I think he will be on the trade table.

Taggert is fine. Write off this year, get his body right and we'll see what he's got next season.

Tapscott has consistently failed to show the level of talent he is supposed to have. We need to see some better efforts from him. Probably safe, but you never know.

Trengove is fine. While his disposals are down he is doing a lot of uncredited work on the field, and the coaches and teammates are well aware of it.

Tynan - see Taggert

Watts seems to have found his feet to some extent in the backline. It's good to see him gaining confidence. He'll be fine.

Looking at this, we could be seeing Bartram, Bate, Bennell, Davey, Davis, Dunn, Green, Jetta, Jurrah, MacDonald, Petterd Spencer and Sylvia in the firing line. That's 13 guys who either are on shakey ground or could be retiring due to age or injury (or prison time). Obviously some are more likely to go than others, but it gives us some idea of who needs to step up and show something. It's probably worth looking into their contract status as well.

• Like 3

Stopped reading the above post when mckenzie was suggested as a possible trade/ delist while Dunn is the teams best defensive forward...simply ridiculous

Dunn would be near the top of the trade/ delist list closely followed by bate, benell, jetta and Joel Mac

Green and davey should retire or be moved on, would like to see flash remain at the club as an indigenous affairs officer or some such role and green still has a good footy brain just a pity the body is letting him down. Would be good to see long term servants of the club retain some affinity with us after their playing days rather than see a repeat of the junior debacle.

The roughy who I think that will be offered up a trade bait would be Sylvia. Pre season indiscretion followed by the laughing after the performance against the swans would not be sitting well with need IMO.

P.s surely it's too early to be talking of getting rid of Troy Davis after only a couple of what were frankly quite encouraging nab cup games

P.s surely it's too early to be talking of getting rid of Troy Davis after only a couple of what were frankly quite encouraging nab cup games

Agree 100%, but for some reason they won't give him a game. If he hits the two year mark without a game to his name, to me that says the coaches don't want him.

As for Dunn and McKenzie, you generalize to avoid addressing the substance of my comments. Dunn's defensive work in the forward 50 is his biggest strength, and if Neeld is serious about winning a few games he will be a part of it. McKenzie is all guts, but his lack of pace and skill could see him fall by the wayside. I don't see how either of those points can be denied.

Guest KingDingAling

Id cut Dunn and Bate, I think Dunn will get a chance elsewhere.

Jetta is gone.

Jamar is lucky he signed!

He is playing like a spud.

• Like 1

Agree 100%, but for some reason they won't give him a game. If he hits the two year mark without a game to his name, to me that says the coaches don't want him.

As for Dunn and McKenzie, you generalize to avoid addressing the substance of my comments. Dunn's defensive work in the forward 50 is his biggest strength, and if Neeld is serious about winning a few games he will be a part of it. McKenzie is all guts, but his lack of pace and skill could see him fall by the wayside. I don't see how either of those points can be denied.

Does your 'Davis 2 year rule' apply to Lucas Cook as well? Otherwise I agree with most of what you say but McKenzie's hardness & ability to blanket the opposition's best mid should keep him safe & I see no reason why he can't be our answer to Cam Ling. Our list is in a shitful state of affairs when Dunn is best defensive (ergo small) forward. Sylvia will be put up for trade IMO.

Edited by Jimmi C

In regards to Bennell, I think it would help his development if he was given a role that suits his talents. He isn't a shut down defender/back pocket. His best games have been as a forward. He clearly has talent, the footy dept aren't getting enough out of him. He could be very damaging if played in a Varcoe type role. He does have deficiencies but clearly has enough talent. He is a keep IMO.

I think McKenzie will be fine. I get the feeling that Neeld is only now starting to see what we all love about him.

Not only that, he plays a very important negating role, and he does this better than anyone else on the list. Totally safe IMO.

I'd be disappointed to see Bennell and Morton traded/cut from the list at the end of this year. I think their upside is still good and it would be premature to end their MFC journey now.

I continue to be devastated and totally dismayed that we didn't pick Darling over Cook, but I find reassurance in some posts recently that seem to suggest he's developing nicely. Simply cannot cut this project early - that would be ridiculous in the extreme, and it would simply crystallise what still appears to be a massive selection mistake.

• Like 1

As seen with G/C and the Giants, any team requires experience around them.We will look closely over the next 11 weeks, whom should we let go as well as look at other lists and see whom we can gain.As other posts have already stated, I feel, the main ones that look like leaving us, are: Bartram, Bate or Dunn, , Bennell,Fitz, Green whom will gain a role in our footy dept, JMac,Morton may be traded along with Petterd, Sylvia whilst Spencer will have to start playing well to be kept.Lawrence is the only rookie,I feel we will let go.

I agree with others that experienced players will be looked at including, Stevens, Symes from Adelaide, and other fringe players whom we feel that will meet our requirements. In the VFL, I think Lockwood from Willie and Dwyer from Port and the current CHF,Khan Haretuku,born 19/10/89 ,199,101 kls- from Frankston whom was a rookie at St Kilda are worth a strong look at.We will definitely add experience and may pick only 4 including Viney from the Under 18's draft.

Edited by jayceebee31

Guest bluey

Never got the Tackles Mckenzie thing myself, "we love him" , we do?

The issue is more like we are carrying a complete midfield, Moloney,Trengrove,Tapscott, Mckenzie, Magner, really.. never going to get enough ball going forward to compete.

As far as "goners" go don't be surprised, Jurrah,Barts,Green,Spencer,Bennell are certs, not short of candidates.

Would really prefer not to go back to the VFL and search for the next Magner, Couch or Valenti either.

Can not see any way out except rebuild an entire midfield, starting with Viney and Jones I guess.

Green and davey should retire or be moved on,

According to Neeld, and quoted in todays "Age" Davey is a required player and only his lack of 4 quarter fitness is holding him back!

He also has a year of his contract to run!

Quantify before we speculate would be a good rule. If we don't want to use picks higher that 42 in the draft, that gives us 5 new players (including Jack Viney) plus any rookie promotions we want to do. That's the number we can be comfortable about delisting. Any other changes will have to come by trading for players or picks, and not using our picks 42 and earlier in those trades unless some oppotunity too good to refuse is presented.

So delist 5 plus the number of rookie promotions. Then look at what is left in the bait bucket for trades.

Quantify before we speculate would be a good rule. If we don't want to use picks higher that 42 in the draft, that gives us 5 new players (including Jack Viney) plus any rookie promotions we want to do. That's the number we can be comfortable about delisting. Any other changes will have to come by trading for players or picks, and not using our picks 42 and earlier in those trades unless some oppotunity too good to refuse is presented.

So delist 5 plus the number of rookie promotions. Then look at what is left in the bait bucket for trades.

Are you taking into account free agency also?

Hate to make my first post about delistings but having watched Spencer today on the box, i cannot imagine keeping a player who can't kick and who is so slow. I know he's coming back from a reco, but he couldn't kick before that either!

With Gawn, Jamar, Martin, and now Clark and Sellar all able to ruck I suspect he will be cut.

Davey will be kept.

Green will probably retire

Bennell - delist.

Bate and Petterd will look for opportunity elsewhere and both will get it.

Sylvia and Morton offered for trade. Probably only one will end up going.

Elevate Dan Nicholson into our main list

Concerned for Bartram. It is not so much a knee injury as a degenerative knee condition.

Definite: Spencer, Bate, Dunn, Green

Possible: Bennell, Jetta, Bartram, Macdonald, Petterd, Morton (contracted), Evans ®, Lawrence ®

I'd be thinking we'd want to clear about 6-8 main list spots for 4-5 draft picks, 1-2 rookie upgrades and possibly a mature age draft pick. We'd probably look for a few rookie selections as well with a balance like this year between young and old. It's not unreasonable to have 10 list changes with this group.

Davey will be kept.

Green will probably retire

Bennell - delist.

Bate and Petterd will look for opportunity elsewhere and both will get it.

Sylvia and Morton offered for trade. Probably only one will end up going.

Elevate Dan Nicholson into our main list

Concerned for Bartram. It is not so much a knee injury as a degenerative knee condition.

This list needs class. More class.

All of the players you have mentioned here, whilst having deficiencies, have class.

We can't have a team full of Magners. If we're ever going to be top 4, we also have to have class.

I will also be watching the progress of Michael Evans once he recovers - he has showed some good glimpses previously.

• Like 1