Complete rubbish, you should be ashamed of yourself. There are issues with our club, but alienating certain segments of our supporter base is only going to divide and split the club rather than unite it. The MCC and its members are one of these groups that add significant financial backing to the club, further the MFC was born and inside the MCC for over 130 years. Why alienate them or any member who happened to go to a private school? Jim Stynes spent his time as President undoing the damage crap like this creates. We are a diverse club with diverse supporters from almost all imaginable demographics. The MFC does not stand for one group or another, it stands for united supporters regardless of their demographic. Wearing a traditional blazer has no effect on whether we win a premiership like you suggest, but the financial support of certain demographics of our supporter base will. The MFC stands for all members and it is time you joined and embraced the diversity of the club or resigned your membership. There are plenty of other clubs to support. The club does not need idiots trying to divide it. It needs leaders from all demographics uniting its members and supporters to the one common cause…….. A PREMIERSHIP.

GNF I agree with a lot of what you say.

However I do believe That the MFC appears to be the club of the "upper Class" of Victoria and lets acknowledge that the MFC sprang from those roots.

The vast majority of non MFC supporters view the MFC as something from the 1850's to the 1960's

They see us trying to cling to those origins when the world moved on 50 years ago.

They see us as on "old Boys" club with little relevance in the 21st Century.

The introduction of the "Blazer " promotes that image and as you say does nothing to help us win games.

I think the "Blazer" potentially discourages potential supporters and members because they do not see it as something they wished to be aligned with in this age.

While we continue to push this image large sections of the general population will have nothing to do with the MFC.

Complete rubbish, you should be ashamed of yourself. There are issues with our club, but alienating certain segments of our supporter base is only going to divide and split the club rather than unite it. The MCC and its members are one of these groups that add significant financial backing to the club, further the MFC was born and inside the MCC for over 130 years. Why alienate them or any member who happened to go to a private school? Jim Stynes spent his time as President undoing the damage crap like this creates. We are a diverse club with diverse supporters from almost all imaginable demographics. The MFC does not stand for one group or another, it stands for united supporters regardless of their demographic. Wearing a traditional blazer has no effect on whether we win a premiership like you suggest, but the financial support of certain demographics of our supporter base will. The MFC stands for all members and it is time you joined and embraced the diversity of the club or resigned your membership. There are plenty of other clubs to support. The club does not need idiots trying to divide it. It needs leaders from all demographics uniting its members and supporters to the one common cause…….. A PREMIERSHIP.

Well, as I said, everyone's entitled to their opinion. And for the record, I am not ashamed in what I said. It's my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Maybe they could get you out there to do the on-field entertainment but I doubt the ground staff would want to clean up after the high horse you rode in on.

It's no battle cry the way it's done now and regardless of our on-field performance, it will never be anything other than quaint. A guard of 10 regal hornblowers announcing the arrivals of our champions...in velvet jackets if you like...now that would not be quaint. And opposition supporters won't have a giggle as they do and forever will towards the busker/bugler/trumpeter, they will be furious, there'll be steam coming from their ears! But the team song should be played twice. As our players break the banner and as they throw their fists skyward at the final siren! The more I hear it before the game, the less I feel like I'll be hearing it at the end if the game...

I totally agree with the OP. It's terrible!

If all we've got to create a strong MFC image is old-fashioned traditions derived from an upper-class private school culture then we're in trouble. That culture is divisive by its very nature. There aren't many who want to be associated with a snobby, wanky and "privileged" club image. Anything that promotes an exclusive image is excluding those who don't fit that image. That's why so many of us cringe at such things.

We are the longest running football club in the world and we wrote the rules of the game. There is more to our history than school blazers and bugles.

And, to be less dramatic, the trumpet just sounds bad as well. One trumpet gets lost in the G. Compared to the music and recorded version of our song it sounds weak and tinny. That alone is enough to deflate any building excitement. Success on the field is not going to make it sound any cooler.

One more issue is that we don't need to attract old people to our club, we need to need to attract young people. So if its young people who are hating blazers and buglers then maybe that alone is enough justification to stop it.

Just when I was about to organise a jolly old fox-hunt wtih the Demonland faithfull,

All this pish and tosh emerges about the blazers and the blasted buglers.

I suppose that puts the khybosh on that .

dreadfulll show

What what..

If all we've got to create a strong MFC image is old-fashioned traditions derived from an upper-class private school culture then we're in trouble.

Culture is diverse. It's not all about satisfying 20-year-olds with rock music. Some of us are more advanced in years you know.

And trumpets have been used in a huge variety of musical genres. Satchmo, Dizzy Gillespie, James Morrison et al would be horrified to think their instrument was a symbol of "old-fashioned traditions derived from an upper-class private school culture".

• Like 1

Me too RR. I still like the D'land idea that he arrives in his white Land Rover and takes off his ski jacket to reveal his velvet smoking jacket underneath. Laugh at it now but in 2 years when we are smashing teams opposition fans will hate it so much it will drive them crazy.

I agree, but at the moment it's plainly embarrassing.

• 2 months later...

I refuse to believe that if we were winning people would think the bugler is a good thing.

If we were winning, we'd be seen as arrogant or cocky.

Either way, it's cringeworthy, out of place, unnecessary, adds nothing, and really has to go before the other 17 clubs realise how pathetic we are.

GNF I agree with a lot of what you say.

However I do believe That the MFC appears to be the club of the "upper Class" of Victoria and lets acknowledge that the MFC sprang from those roots.

The vast majority of non MFC supporters view the MFC as something from the 1850's to the 1960's

They see us trying to cling to those origins when the world moved on 50 years ago.

They see us as on "old Boys" club with little relevance in the 21st Century.

The introduction of the "Blazer " promotes that image and as you say does nothing to help us win games.

I think the "Blazer" potentially discourages potential supporters and members because they do not see it as something they wished to be aligned with in this age.

While we continue to push this image large sections of the general population will have nothing to do with the MFC.

Good-the larger sections of the populace can go and support Collingwood. If they dont like our superior attitude then tough [censored].

I agree with RR in that we should embrace the stereotype ,the blazers ,the ski trips ,the smoking jackets ,the old boys club thing and the Buglers.

We can embrace it because it is no longer really relevant but it continues to annoy the scum that come to our ground in Jolimont .

Obvoiusly ,if we are winning on the park it helps to infuriate "those people" .

We should amp up all this stuff as we win and draw bigger crowds.

• Like 2

Who is that Biff? Looks familiar...

Thats our Lawyer WYL-everything's under control.

Oh good. My lawyer is Sol from "Breaking Bad"..great operator.

Excellent-my spiritual advisor is Al Swearengen from Deadwood so we have it sorted.

Al....now there is a man. I am planning to visit Deadwood next year hopefully. Shots at the bar.

"The world abounds in C#$t of every kind"

I'll see you there.

Best script ever written Deadwood.

Best script ever written Deadwood.

Agreed-which explains why they never made another series-the idiots.