Everyone Stand Up And Applaud Mark Neeld

Range Rover

What befuddles me is the rhetoric the Club gives its members and supporters, I did the "Walk to the G" in 2010 before our first game against the Swans. The powers that be, i.e. CC and CS spruiked to all and sundry about our "Window of Opportunity" or to be more precise our "Bifold" of Opportunity" in having a premiership tilt from 2013 onwards.

In that same year CC talks on TAC Cup Future Stars how J. Fitzpatrick will be a great Melbourne fooballer. Let's hope his "super powers" in identifying great talent is better than mine.

Last year at a function in Darwin before the Port game this bifold of opportunity was also spruiked.

Sadly it is plain to me that the Club is having us on, or more likely has no idea about running a football club and identifying real talent on the field. We put our faith in the recruiters and the development of players at the Club. It is just another carbon dioxide tax con.

We are not stupid supporters, we can tell a good player when we see him. How often have you gone to training or looked at games and had this inkling straight away that this recruit just isn't that good. Yet we generally ignore our instincts and put faith in the club that they know what they are doing.

Let's face facts, our recruiting has been below par over the last decade or more. Identifying talent and having a balanced list both in size, structure and age has been a big problem. Because most of our top 20 -30 picks have not been successful we have relied on late picks and rookies to field an average team at best with little leadership qualities.

If I was Mark Neeld I would take a big role in recruiting and make everyone accountable. Unless we recruit well in the next 2 years he is DOOMED to fail. At the moment I don't think the players are fully supportive of Mark and his game plan. Unless this is turned aroung quickly Mark will be just another failed MFC coach.

You make some good points Theo. Neeld was right on to this football industry speak, gobbledigook nonsense among MFC officials from the moment he walked in the door ... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/mark-neelds-hardline-approach-to-lift-dees-out-of-the-doldrums/story-e6frf9jf-1226193168855

The recruiting department under Prendergast came under particular scrutiny.

From that interview back in November with Mark Stevens ...

Neeld was forced to learn the jargon at Melbourne, quickly. He was surprised not only by different job titles but also the language used by recruiters and other football staff.

"With draft time coming up and trade week on, one of the first things I did was go into recruiting meetings. I stopped it after 10 minutes. I didn't actually understand the language they were using," Neeld says.

"I spoke the other night at a sportsmen's night about the fact I don't understand some of the titles people have in the footy industry . . . I just don't know what they mean. "Well, here, my title is coach, Leigh Brown's title is forwards' coach and so on. It's that simple."

Supporters should read that article to try to get a better understanding of what Neeld faced both on AND OFF the field when he arrived at the club. Read between the lines. Our culture was putrid.

• Like 1

I admire the loyalty and the optimism of the Neeld defenders and truly hope they are correct .But after 7 rounds we sit below a club that has been in exsistence for 1 year and another for 2 .Gee, they have made good ground on the 150 year start they gave us .It is not that we havent won a game -we havent even remotely looked like winning one .I find absolute frustation and emptiness in watching us play.I might be missing it all but I cant identify any discernible focus much less a game plan .We are shambolic .Why would you stand up and applaud Neeld ?.At best you can make a case for giving him more time to turn things around but I unlike others see no signs of any turnaround.Can anyone name a measurable positive to date ?

• Like 4

I admire the loyalty and the optimism of the Neeld defenders and truly hope they are correct .But after 7 rounds we sit below a club that has been in exsistence for 1 year and another for 2 .Gee, they have made good ground on the 150 year start they gave us .It is not that we havent won a game -we havent even remotely looked like winning one .I find absolute frustation and emptiness in watching us play.I might be missing it all but I cant identify any discernible focus much less a game plan .We are shambolic .Why would you stand up and applaud Neeld ?.At best you can make a case for giving him more time to turn things around but I unlike others see no signs of any turnaround.Can anyone name a measurable positive to date ?

Neeld is weeding out those that have hunger and fortitude from those that don't. There's nowhere to hide under his regime. This is a positive. A huge one.

When the victories come ... and they will come ... they will come with a spirit that we have not seen at this football club since the Northey era. You want success? ... you've got to earn it the hard way.

There was a scene at the end of a Jack Nicholson film called About Schmidt where he is touring a history museum in middle America, marveling at the courage and achievements of the first settlers who made their way out West. He comes across a plaque which says ...

The cowards never started

The weak died on the way

Only the strong survived

They were the pioneers

This same thinking must now pervade the Melbourne Football Club at all levels.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

I'd argue Neeld's job is harder than Sheedy's.

Neeld is weeding out those that have hunger and fortitude from those that don't. There's nowhere to hide under his regime. This is a positive. A huge one.

When the victories come ... and they will come ... they will come with a spirit that we have not seen at this football club since the Northey era. You want success? ... you've got to earn it the hard way.

There was a scene at the end of a Jack Nicholson film called About Schmidt where he is touring a history museum in middle America, marveling at the courage and achievements of the first settlers who made their way out West. He comes across a plaque which says ...

The cowards never started

The weak died on the way

Only the strong survived

They were the pioneers

This same thinking must now pervade the Melbourne Football Club at all levels.

I keep hearing about this "weeding out" process, but what proof of this is there? Do we know about what happens behind closed doors? No. Have we tried out as many players as we could to see whose up to it? No. I'm not saying it isn't happening, because I, like the rest of us, DO NOT KNOW. So frankly, I'm not buying it without physical proof, not just rhetoric.

How do we know victories will come? Just like improvement will come after tanking? Just like premierships were going to come after all the draft picks? We DO NOT KNOW this.

We've been told to be optimistic and positive for far too long. I'm angry, I'm upset, I love this footy club and I'm devastated about where it's at and the lack of hope.

There were a lot of people standing up for Bailey in the tough times too, but you know what, they DIDN'T KNOW.

• Like 3

I keep hearing about this "weeding out" process, but what proof of this is there? Do we know about what happens behind closed doors? No. Have we tried out as many players as we could to see whose up to it? No. I'm not saying it isn't happening, because I, like the rest of us, DO NOT KNOW. So frankly, I'm not buying it without physical proof, not just rhetoric.

How do we know victories will come? Just like improvement will come after tanking? Just like premierships were going to come after all the draft picks? We DO NOT KNOW this.

We've been told to be optimistic and positive for far too long. I'm angry, I'm upset, I love this footy club and I'm devastated about where it's at and the lack of hope.

There were a lot of people standing up for Bailey in the tough times too, but you know what, they DIDN'T KNOW.

Well the start was to make 2 very young Men Co Captains. And the Leadership group has none of the old clique within.

Some have been dropped to the VFL.

Aand some will not survive this year.... later.

Keep the faith Stuie. They say it's darkest right before the dawn.

I see hope. I see hope in the faces of Bartram, Jones, Mckenzie, Clark and Magner as they fight tooth and nail for the pill, setting a standard for the kids to follow.

If you want to get angry ... get angry with those in the team that won't get with the program!

• Like 4

Neeld deserves the same opportunity Bailey was afforded.

It is hardly Neelds fault the players can't perform fundamental football skills especially seasoned senior players.

All this pain and angst should be directed at the old regime.

I said at the start of the season consider this season with the same attitude as the start of 2009.

We played unaccountable football and although at times it had flare at soon as there was pressure we folded.

Players need to fundamentally adhere to structure and a defensive intent thats polar opposite of what they knew.

It will take 2 to 3 years to see the rewards. That's how it is that's where we are I don't like it and I frequently get the shits and crack it.

Neeld comes from an elite environment he won a premiership and at the time was in charge of an elite midfield.

He needs time to turn the ship and while it sucks I'll let him have a go at fixing the joint.

• Like 3

I find it funny that some people on here actually believe Neeld doesn't want the players to spread and look for the footy and be daring and bold. Yes, it may be the by-product of the focus on defence that Neeld has implemented but it is the players who don't trust each other and crowd their teammates with the footy, don't give options to players running out of the backline, and don't run through the lines.

It isn't Neeld shackling their ankles - they just aren't doing it.

The FD are trying to teach them some defensive intent and they, for probably a cacophony of reasons, are not able to do it and play some decent footy (when we get the ball).

• Like 5

I'd argue Neeld's job is harder than Sheedy's.

No kidding. Sheedy's job is to spend breakfast time devising the latest ways of stirring the pot through the media, then spends the rest of the day sitting back while Chocko coaches the side.

No kidding. Sheedy's job is to spend breakfast time devising the latest ways of stirring the pot through the media, then spends the rest of the day sitting back while Chocko coaches the side.

Remind me again Nasher where are they on the ladder?

Sorry I forgot 2 places higher than the Dees.

And they have been going 7 matches we on the other hand have been going 100+ years.

I don't think Sheedy is the dill

The dills lie much closer to the Yarra river.

I find it funny that some people on here actually believe Neeld doesn't want the players to spread and look for the footy and be daring and bold. Yes, it may be the by-product of the focus on defence that Neeld has implemented but it is the players who don't trust each other and crowd their teammates with the footy, don't give options to players running out of the backline, and don't run through the lines.

It isn't Neeld shackling their ankles - they just aren't doing it.

The FD are trying to teach them some defensive intent and they, for probably a cacophony of reasons, are not able to do it and play some decent footy (when we get the ball).

It should be a no-brainer that there must be more instructions than "Kick it long down the line to a contest" . But that's all we've really seen so far .

You can't know for sure whether our players are supposed to be "spreading , looking for the footy and being daring and bold" . Are you sure that Neeld isn't "shackling their ankles" ?

I only post on what I can see . Anything else would be a guess .

Neeld has gone on record as saying we have put our "attacking mode of play" on hold for the time being until the players learn the defensive aspects of the game . Or words to that effect . Just have a look at the way we're playing . The players seem unsure about what to do - often

It's my belief that our attacking flair has been stifled by this over-emphasis on the defensive aspect . That's what we've been witnessing anyway . Unless you or anybody else can see anything different that I can't see .

If you are correct and Neeld is instructing the players to be daring and bold etc etc then the players aren't taking it on board . And that in itself is a major problem . The message isn't getting through .

You say the players are just not doing it . All of them ? I could understand a few but not all of them .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

It does take balls of steel to do what he is doing. The size of this task again cannot be limited to the outcomes we all see on the field.

Bailey certainly couldn't do what Neeld has done.

Every week these knee jerk emotional reactions to losses fail to consider the holistic point of view around everest that the club has in front of it.

It does take balls of steel to do what he is doing. The size of this task again cannot be limited to the outcomes we all see on the field.

Bailey certainly couldn't do what Neeld has done.

Every week these knee jerk emotional reactions to losses fail to consider the holistic point of view around everest that the club has in front of it.

Unfortunately people seem to go into meltdown, disown the club, not renew memberships, call for sackings and question all his decisions being incompetent. He is one preseason and 7 games in. No other coach has ever had so much expected of them in such a short period of time.

Unfortunately people seem to go into meltdown, disown the club, not renew memberships, call for sackings and question all his decisions being incompetent. He is one preseason and 7 games in. No other coach has ever had so much expected of them in such a short period of time.

Let Mark Neeld do what we need him most to do. Once again I urge you to continue to support the coach and the club.

By sounds of that Chairman Graeme Kennedy, Bailey wouldnt be continuing this type of development. (ie dropping Jack W and starting Jack G or T on the bench in games). .please save the presidents speech, I think Neeld brings a steely resolve across the media but let's stop blowing wind up his ass y'all and wait n see....the board is still very much accountable more than ever for this in

2 yrs time that's it

Neeld could've stemmed the flow and lost by 5 on Fri night! The club is bout supporters/ yes members and god help us if we have to watch that trash 2nd half of yr & next yr as well

• Like 3

With all due respect rp , your opinion is speculation . Unless you are in the inner sanctum at the club .

You don't know for sure whether our players are supposed to be "spreading , looking for the footy and being daring and bold" . How are so sure that Neeld isn't "shackling their ankles" ?

I only post on what I can see . Anything else would be a guess .

Neeld has gone on record as saying we have put our "attacking mode of play" on hold for the time being until the players learn the defensive aspects of the game . Or words to that effect . Just have a look at the way we're playing . It's atrocious .

It's my belief that our attacking flair has been stifled by this over-emphasis on the defensive aspect . That's what we've been witnessing anyway . Unless you or anybody else can see anything different that I can't see . And don't give me any crystal ball stuff . I'm not interested .

Well Macca I have found something we are doing well.

We are not doing much attaching, so the players are listening and following his direction perfectly.

• Like 1

Well Macca I have found something we are doing well.

We are not doing much attaching, so the players are listening and following his direction perfectly.

I've had a bit of a dip this weekend but I'm tired of losing and I'm not going to accept mediocrIty . That doesn't mean I want the coaches head or anything like that . Far from it but blind loyalty to unacceptable performances is just not on .

All that "Be patient" , "Keep the faith" jargon annoys me . I started barracking for this club in 1965 . Missed by 1 year hey ? I was 28 years old when I saw my 1st final . I know what patience is all about . There are plenty on this site with similar stories .

Cheers OD

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

If you dont think Neeld wants the players to run hard & spread to create options in attack and is telling them to stand around like a bunch of bewildered statues then you are not listening to what Neeld is saying in his press conferences and media interviews and have little understanding of how the game is currently played. What do you think he is telling them to do if not run and spread and create options in attack? Listen to his interview on SEN Saturday midday if you can find it online - he is not happy with the performance thus far and is clearly unhappy the players are either unwilling or unable to to implement his gameplan at this stage for whatever reason (fitness, intellect, skill etc). He seemed particularly scathing of Sylvia who I daresay will be playing at Casey in a couple of weeks if he keeps that rubbish form up judging by Neeld's comments.

If you dont think Neeld wants the players to run hard & spread to create options in attack and is telling them to stand around like a bunch of bewildered statues then you are not listening to what Neeld is saying in his press conferences and media interviews and have little understanding of how the game is currently played. What do you think he is telling them to do if not run and spread and create options in attack? Listen to his interview on SEN Saturday midday if you can find it online - he is not happy with the performance thus far and is clearly unhappy the players are either unwilling or unable to to implement his gameplan at this stage for whatever reason (fitness, intellect, skill etc). He seemed particularly scathing of Sylvia who I daresay will be playing at Casey in a couple of weeks if he keeps that rubbish form up judging by Neeld's comments.

Well if he's saying all this and the players aren't listening to him then that's a problem yeah ? Either way it ain't working .

What's your solution Dr Gonzo ? I get tired of people continually talking about a problem and they're only solution is to drop this player or that player . That is not a solution .

Dropping Sylvia fixes nothing . It's scapegoating .

Remind me again Nasher where are they on the ladder?

Sorry I forgot 2 places higher than the Dees.

And they have been going 7 matches we on the other hand have been going 100+ years.

I don't think Sheedy is the dill

The dills lie much closer to the Yarra river.

I think you need to adjust your tongueincheekometer there old dee.

What Neeld wants is one thing. What he is able to achieve is quite another.

People talk about giving Neeld the same chance as Bailey...

What, an under resourced FD,

a CEO and FDM that undercut at every opportunity,

a coaching group on coppers and pence,

a gym of a bike and a few possums,

a List Manager at the END of his tenure?

Under that kind of shizen, Bailey, over 4 years, had 10 wins over the first 11 rounds.

Neeld will not have 1.

Guest José Mourinho

Well, if we take that view, I still believe Neeld's job is much harder than Choco's too.

All the GWS players come to the club with a significant level of buy-in from the very beginning.

There are kids happy to just be getting their first games, and old blokes who have come there by choice.

All eager to

Neeld has a surly bunch, accustomed to losing, taught to play a drastically different way, trying to unlearn old bad habits, and some of them even appear to be resisting the change, or struggling with it. There's not a great difference in the mix of ages between the 2 clubs.

Not to mention the intense scrutiny, pressure and criticism Neeld has experienced, whilst at GWS they are given a free pass.

GWS is building a culture from scratch, MFC are trying to eradicate an already embedded bad culture.

Whilst, if you believe Neeld and Craig, the culture is largely very good at MFC, I still believe there are those who have been tainted by the past.

Some will take time to change, and some of those will take too much time and effort to make it worth the club sticking by them.

I shall applaud Neeld when it is deserved. Right now he has to work his guts off. "Head down Bum up"

I hope he is a long term coach. But sitting at 18th after 7 rounds is not a good start. But he is contracted for 3 years.

Many of our list will be made redundant at seasons end, that is when i begin to applaud.

• Like 1

Well if he's saying all this and the players aren't listening to him then that's a problem yeah ? Either way it ain't working .

What's your solution Dr Gonzo ? I get tired of people continually talking about a problem and they're only solution is to drop this player or that player . That is not a solution .

Dropping Sylvia fixes nothing . It's scapegoating .

If the players (certain players, certain senior players) are unwilling to go along with the new hard, disciplined approach implemented by the new FD, the new FD comprised of people from successful clubs who know how hard you have to work to finish top 4 consistently and win a flag, then that is absolutely a problem with the players. As has been mentioned by others if guys like Sylvia would rather just do enough to get by as an AFL footballer rather than exerting themselves to go beyond merely getting games and actually being successful then I hope that he or others like him are dropped and then cleaned out at the end of the year. Dropping Sylvia may fix nothing in the short term but it helps to set the standard of what is acceptable and helps to redefine our culture just as moving him (or others like him who refuse to understand how hard they have to work to be a successful modern AFL player) on at the end of the year will.

I am not happy about this either but the fact is we were sold a lemon 4 years ago. Not to say all the work over the last 4 years has been for nought, but the work that has been done is not enough and there is still further work to go (in developing the players drafted since 2007 and in further culling/refining our list). This is not Neeld's (or the new FD's) fault - the people still around who can take some of the blame and should be held accountable are guys like Schwab, McLardy and the board as well as some of the senior players who have been around for long enough now to have built up an elite fitness base (they are paid athletes after all) regardless of the expectations of the prior FD.

I have the feeling I could write a thesis on what is wrong with the MFC but I will leave it there for now and just say that I have complete faith that Neeld is the right man to turn our CULTURE around and this must be achieved before we start seeing results on the field. So whether he will lead us to consistent top 4 and/or a flag remains to be seen but he is the right man for the club right now. We can assess in a couple of years whether he will be the man to take us forward - though I have faith he will be and I think he is definitely going about it the right way. Every champion team has had a basis of strong defense before attack. Melbourne teams for the last 20 years have been the complete opposite which leads us to look very good against mediocre oppisition and against good opposition on off days but when it counts we fall to pieces as we only want to kick goals (as individuals) rather than prevent them (as a team). That is why we got smashed in '88 & 2000, that is why we fell apart in '90, '94, '04, '05 & '06. Our club has a soft underbelly and this is known by everyone else in the AFL.

So this is not a quick fix 3-4 year rebuild this is the complete rebuild of the club from the foundations up. But once it is done it will more than likely not just see us be "competitive" but also successful and successful for long periods that will mean next time we have a downward turn it will not see us down the bottom of the ladder for years at a time.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

What Neeld wants is one thing. What he is able to achieve is quite another.

People talk about giving Neeld the same chance as Bailey...

What, an under resourced FD,

a CEO and FDM that undercut at every opportunity,

a coaching group on coppers and pence,

a gym of a bike and a few possums,

a List Manager at the END of his tenure?

Under that kind of shizen, Bailey, over 4 years, had 10 wins over the first 11 rounds.

Neeld will not have 1.

But this isn't just plug 'n' play. Sure Bailey had less to work with but Neeld has inherited the same legacies of these issues. Having these resources now is fine but you can't expect them to have immediate effect. The same players are there now whose development has been stunted. You can't just make up several years of lost development over one pre-season.

Agree Dr. G yes some of the Backroom Boys at the MFC are now right in the gun. Our current situation is unacceptable, but it is what it is.

The next AGM should be interesting. Supporters will not cop sh!t again, too much cash is involved from our own pockets.

• Like 1