Everyone Stand Up And Applaud Mark Neeld

Range Rover

Or, he's asking everyone to play a brand of footy that has so far proven to be very unsuccessful and some of the players don't believe in it. He has no track record to fall back on.

They're players. They don't get to decide which game plan to follow. That's the point of a coach. If they won't follow instructions, they can [censored] off elsewhere.

• Like 2

I am sure we all understand how tough AFL footy is and that if you are a bit off you can get belted. Being "off" includes things like skill, talent, attitude, pace, fitness, aggression, team orientation ( selfless play), courage, knowledge and understanding of the game plan , any of which or a combination of some, that may be below your opposition. It would be fair to say that we are "off" in most of these areas.

If I am correct with the above, then it can be no surprise what is happening. If that is the case and we believe we have a good coach as we all did when he was appointed, then he needs full support as many on here have posted and not be white anted.

We have been down for a fair while and the team needs a clean out and the addition of more players who can provide what is needed in all respects. Not necessarily nice boys but great footballers. I am not suggesting criminals but you all know what I mean.

Again as many have posted we need an injection of speed, skill and hunger for success. We have a strong draft coming. We will have high picks. We hopefully will get JV for a 2nd rounder thereby preserving our high picks. There are 2 players who GWS can trade and we might have the best picks to offer. We will have some players who can be traded for some value to improve our later picks. We should also be in the market to pick up a player who shows something but is not getting a game elsewhere like Sewell when we tried to get him and now say Kennedy and Hill who are playing well for the Eagles but were modest at their previous clubs.

Our good young players will get fitter , gain experience and understand the game plan better by next year and those who have tried and failed will be gone. We have the nucleus of a side but we need the injection of that skill, pace and hunger. The players that don.t care less should be discarded and the culture will change.

Both the Eagles and Bombers were pathetic and in one year improved markedly.

We need to back this coach, footy department and club and stop sniping. We can,t keep changing coaches all the time, maybe it really is the players we have who are just not the right players. Does anyone really believe that even God could coach us to a flag at the moment?

I hope I never have to say this ever again, but I hope we finish as low as possible this year so we have the best chance to fix this mess up. A few wins and a few spots higher could really stuff up our chances for the future. I will cop it this year for the last time as long as our choices in every situation after the season are the best ones that. Can be made.

I will be at the games hoping we play well for the rest of the year but deep down inside knowing that a small loss may be our best "long term result". At the same time Neeld will have my full support and hopefully that of all Dees.

• Like 6

Welcome to The Melbourne Demons, where we bag the cr@p out of our best and fairest and stand to applaud a coach who has taken us to 0-7 and pretty much bottom in every important stat...

Don't get me wrong, I like Neeld, a lot, and he may turn out to be a great coach, but this "positive" thread after what we've seen so far this year is an absolute joke.

• Like 4

Welcome to The Melbourne Demons, where we bag the cr@p out of our best and fairest and stand to applaud a coach who has taken us to 0-7 and pretty much bottom in every important stat...

Don't get me wrong, I like Neeld, a lot, and he may turn out to be a great coach, but this "positive" thread after what we've seen so far this year is an absolute joke.

It's only a joke to you because you don't - or won't - see the bigger picture Stuie.

Change is painful. Views such as yours are understandable and inevitable. But it's a wrong view nevertheless.

• Like 3

It's only a joke to you because you don't - or won't - see the bigger picture Stuie.

Change is painful. Views such as yours are understandable and inevitable. But it's a wrong view nevertheless.

I just think a lot of what is being said (by MFC) is BS. I've never seen a team go so far backwards while learning a new gameplan. Something is wrong with the players mentally, and I don't buy into this 'short term pain' kind of view, I expected it to be tough this year with a new coach, structure, etc... but we've gone too far backwards for that to be enough justification.

I guess my main point was just to point out how rubbish most of our supporter base (or at least how it's represented on 'Land) is when we get behind a guy who's been at the club 2 minutes and bag the hell out of a guy who's been at the club, what 8 years, when both are struggling.

That's the joke to me.

Looking like a bit of a "Jackson Pollock" right now RR .

I've had a good look at that "Blue Poles" . Made no sense to me .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Looking like a bit of a "Jackson Pollock" right now RR .

I've had a good look at that "Blue Poles" . Made no sense to me .

"Blue Poles" is a considered Pollock's most important work and is valued in excess of $40 million.

Method to the madness Macca. Method to the madness.

"Blue Poles" is a considered Pollock's most important work and is valued in excess of $40 million.

Method to the madness Macca. Method to the madness.

Yeah , and I still remember the controversy when Gough got the purchase through ! The art world is far more accepted now hey ?

Back to the footy , I genuinely hope you're right about Neeld's game plan RR . We'll know more in 4 or 5 weeks time .

Yeah , and I still remember the controversy when Gough got the purchase through ! The art world is far more accepted now hey ?

Back to the footy , I genuinely hope you're right about Neeld's game plan RR . We'll know more in 4 or 5 weeks time .

Without a functioning Midfield no gameplan can work.
  • Like 1

I just think a lot of what is being said (by MFC) is BS. I've never seen a team go so far backwards while learning a new gameplan. Something is wrong with the players mentally, and I don't buy into this 'short term pain' kind of view, I expected it to be tough this year with a new coach, structure, etc... but we've gone too far backwards for that to be enough justification.

I guess my main point was just to point out how rubbish most of our supporter base (or at least how it's represented on 'Land) is when we get behind a guy who's been at the club 2 minutes and bag the hell out of a guy who's been at the club, what 8 years, when both are struggling.

That's the joke to me.

Brent has been given ample chance to get behind the new coach. Instead we see a player who thinks it's all too hard and has decided to shop himself out via the media six rounds in.

"We are on a straight line and we will not deviate". Spare me.

• Like 2

Without a functioning Midfield no gameplan can work.

You make a good point re the midfield . So , what does Neeld do ? We've tried plenty through the midfield so far .

Free agency , trading and the draft is our answer short to long term . Really , we're just treading water for now unless 2 or 3 put their hand up .

The thing that worries me is we might have to pay way over the odds for any midfield free agent . That's why it's important to get as many wins as possible and get up the ladder . We need to able to offer a stable enviroment with a team that is going places . It can't be just about the money .

We'll see RR. I don't think you applaud a man for leaving an asdistant's re and taking a senior role. That's the name of the game and basic ambition. So far I've seen hard words and bulging eyes and rotten football. He may turn out like Hardwick (glad we didn't hire him) or a disaster. If the pain is well targeted I'll be very happy for him.

Great work neeld way to many super brats set in there old ways players don't run clubs they are there to be played& coached keep it up and continue to take control of this club cheero & go deed

Gotta get rid of the boys club and Neeld is doing just that

I'll back him and give him his deserved shot but gee does he have a basket case to deal with. The on field performances have been atrocious. And I'm yet to see anything to remotely enthuse me about our future.

It's hard to get away from this. The proof is in the pudding and thus far we are by far the worst in the league, not one player on our list has improved, and we have half a dozen first round draft picks playing in the vfl because they haven't showed the necessary appetite for the contest or application. We are a rabble.

The club is on it's knees and I'm yet to see anything on the field that suggests the players want to survive. Neeld has his work cut out if he wants the club to survive and for supporters to retain hope.

With hard decisions and good management he club will move forward with or without some or all of the current playing list

Bring it on!

You a re right about the "absolute joke" part, but just a bit off in terms of where to look to find it.

To begin, find a mirror...

Gotta get rid of the boys club and Neeld is doing just that

Is he clearing out the FD and MFC executive?

Why would the board or FD tell Neeld to abandon a game plan they hired him for, seven games into it? Jesus, I'm not happy at all with the way things are going, but you have to give it a little more time than that.

Agree. The Coach always wears the schtick for his failings and the faliing of others.

The Board in its infinte wisdom has appointed Neeld. Neeld is doing what he said he would do.

However, Neeld would not have reasonably contemplated the disposition of the team at Round 7 and the complete cave in of nearly the whole playing group. MFC have been competitive in about 3 quarters out of 28 this year (excluding pre season). We are so uncompetitive its embarrassing. After following MFC for well over 40 years what I have seen is as bad as I have ever seen MFC. Arguably worse because in the 1970s and 1980s we had a least Robert Flower to at least to give us sunshine.

I fully understand there have been unforeseen challenges that hit Neeld in the short term and I understand the timeframe for the adoption of a game plan.

But applaud what we have seen to date? FMD.

As supporters we have to stay the course, but it does not mean those that express valid and palpable concerns as to what there seeing should be subject to some of scorn from the blind faith evangelists who have not got a clue what is actually happening or how Neeld will deal with this.

Its early days in Neelds coaching career and things can turn around sometimes fast. But if what we are seeing today is continued through the rest of this year, then 2013 will not be a comfortable year for Neeld or the Club.

In many respects on and off the field this Club has gone backwards in the past 2 years some of which the previous coach took the rub. HIs departure has done little to deal with the issues that still plague MFC.

Supporters have every right to sensibly consider and ask "What have MFC done?" when faced with the absolute calamity that presents itself every time the umpire holds the ball high and blows his whistle to start a game.

• Like 1

i would think it very much does. How so not?

When you're offered a 3 year contract and those requesting your services acknowledge the amount of change that's required you've basically been given an imprimata to implement all that you deem necessary. It's possible that some of those changes may have been canvassed during the interview process. To have the courage of your convictions in those circumstances isn't overly meritorious. I wouldn't expect any less; and I doubt the club has been surprised by many of his subsequent decisions.

Guest José Mourinho

There's also a fine line between courage and stupidity.

I'll still back Neeld and think he's the man for the job though.

Without question.

It reminds me of when Clarkson and Hardwick began their coaching career. Both of their clubs were off to a very slow start, but after time things began to change.

Hawthorn has been one of the most successful sides over recent years, and the tigers are even starting to show a bit

• Like 2

We have been beaten in uncontested possesion and on the scoreboard in every game since NAB 2, except the Saints game.

You're the coach, earn your paycheck, make adjustments and do something about it.

I actually could care less about most of the other stuff. It doesn't matter what age, level or even sport you are playing, if you are continually getting beaten the same way every week, it is your job to make adjustments and do something about it.

I don't want to hear about our personnel, because I have seen many of our players in our team be able to play that way, so find a blance and get on with coaching.

Edited by Jerry Lundergard

Kahuna's ? To take on a head coaching job ?

They either remain an assistant on way less money or take the job of a head coach on about 3 - 5 times more money . Often with a 3 year guarantee . Sympathy for any coaches , any time , is misguided . Go and join the general workforce if you can't handle being a head coach . Oh , and be prepared for a bit of a paycut .

Coaches get well renumerated for their time . At least 6-7 times the average Australian wage and up to 15 times this amount . And there is a fairly good life after coaching . They're not forced to do it .

At the moment all Neeld has proven is that we don't know if he can coach or not . His game plan is ridiculous and won't work . It's only a matter of time before somebody in the media will take his outdated game plan to task . And then watch all the others jump in like vultures . Hardest team to play against ? What an absolute joke . Now , he might or should get much better . I hope so , but only those with blind faith will guarantee that .

Pressure needs to be put on Neeld . It should have happened after round 2 . He needs to abandon this game plan altogether and start again . I hope he's not too stubborn to change . All our attacking flair and creativity has vanished . Our teamwork is virtually non existant . That is Neeld's fault . The buck stops with him , as it should . I'm not calling for his head but he needs to lift his game .

The players don't get off the hook . Only Clark , Jones , Magner and maybe Bartram , Howe , McKenzie , McDonald and Rivers have had acceptable years so far . The rest are either way below form , injured or not good enough .

Hysterical much. We are improving.

One thing that hasn't been discussed in this thread (or perhaps I missed it) is that we are only now being able to compete with the better clubs in terms of the amount spent in the footy and recruiting department. We just haven't had the cashflow to be able to compete, but now we do (thanks Jimmy). We have been far behind the rest of the competition with our fitness and it's crazy to think that we can close the gap in just one season.

This season is a reality check for everything about our club. We have to improve in every single area if we are to survive and I believe that Neeld has the knowledge, temperament and energy to make the hard decisions and bruise ego's which will make us a better club. I don't see what happens within the club but it appears that there's a group of players who've had it very easy for a long time who may be reluctant to change, I also have a feeling that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 3

There's also a fine line between courage and stupidity.

I think this is my genuine concern. I'm worried that Neeld's timing is wrong for us. It's only early but his long term game plan looks outdated. Couple this with his so called 'hard nosed my way or the highway' mentality at the worst time to have that belief. Only last night on Fox Footy were they talking about how difficult it's going to be for clubs to rebuild over the next few years with the 2 new teams. One of the guys talking about that was Lynch - a player manager. If our senior players all look to step out we are talking about another 5 year rebuild after this year. We can't run on emotion forever in terms of membership base and the all important sponsors. This is why Neeld's playing a dangerous game with us. I hope he is right, because if he's isn't I'm very worried.

I am sure we all understand how tough AFL footy is and that if you are a bit off you can get belted. Being "off" includes things like skill, talent, attitude, pace, fitness, aggression, team orientation ( selfless play), courage, knowledge and understanding of the game plan , any of which or a combination of some, that may be below your opposition. It would be fair to say that we are "off" in most of these areas.

If I am correct with the above, then it can be no surprise what is happening. If that is the case and we believe we have a good coach as we all did when he was appointed, then he needs full support as many on here have posted and not be white anted.

We have been down for a fair while and the team needs a clean out and the addition of more players who can provide what is needed in all respects. Not necessarily nice boys but great footballers. I am not suggesting criminals but you all know what I mean.

Again as many have posted we need an injection of speed, skill and hunger for success. We have a strong draft coming. We will have high picks. We hopefully will get JV for a 2nd rounder thereby preserving our high picks. There are 2 players who GWS can trade and we might have the best picks to offer. We will have some players who can be traded for some value to improve our later picks. We should also be in the market to pick up a player who shows something but is not getting a game elsewhere like Sewell when we tried to get him and now say Kennedy and Hill who are playing well for the Eagles but were modest at their previous clubs.

Our good young players will get fitter , gain experience and understand the game plan better by next year and those who have tried and failed will be gone. We have the nucleus of a side but we need the injection of that skill, pace and hunger. The players that don.t care less should be discarded and the culture will change.

Both the Eagles and Bombers were pathetic and in one year improved markedly.

We need to back this coach, footy department and club and stop sniping. We can,t keep changing coaches all the time, maybe it really is the players we have who are just not the right players. Does anyone really believe that even God could coach us to a flag at the moment?

I hope I never have to say this ever again, but I hope we finish as low as possible this year so we have the best chance to fix this mess up. A few wins and a few spots higher could really stuff up our chances for the future. I will cop it this year for the last time as long as our choices in every situation after the season are the best ones that. Can be made.

I will be at the games hoping we play well for the rest of the year but deep down inside knowing that a small loss may be our best "long term result". At the same time Neeld will have my full support and hopefully that of all Dees.

Excellent post. I too hope we win as few games as possible for the reasons you mentioned. I don't want and I'm sure there won't be any tanking, but I'm fully cognisant of the benefits of losing for this one last time.

Garry Lyon touched on the impact a change of coach can sometimes have in the first year. The Saints coming off a finals campaign won only 4 of their first 11 in 2007. At the time I remember the former coach and many others being critical of Ross Lyon half way through his first year. The calibre of players at his disposal included Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dal Santo, Ball, Goddard, Robert Harvey, Gehrig, Hudghton, Milne, Gilbert, Gram and Baker. Not a bad baker's dozen, yet they struggled big time with a foreign game-plan and structures. Imagine the difficulty our young mob is having with such a quantum shift in playing style. Alistair Clarkson won only 5 games in his first year. Players at his disposal included Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Sewell, Batemen, Joel Smith, Brown, Lewis, Dixon, Crawford, Croad, Roughead and Young. Not a bad group either, but many of them were young and all and sundry were calling for Clarkson's head. Franklin played 20 games for 21 goals. At that point no-one knew he'd become the star he has. I believe that we also have talent, even though right now we're considered a laughing stock.

Things can and will change once some players mature, the style becomes second nature and we get some class into the midfield.

• Like 6

I actually think weve gone forwards. To lose to Hawthorn by 66 points. Baileys first game we lost by 100 plus. Dig this up next year and if we dont get within 33 points maybe start going mental but give the guy some time.