I've had enough of Malthouse

So why isn't there massive hysteria about Carlton's pre season? It hasn't gone that well but it has been taken that it is just pre season form. I'm not saying that the comments about watts are totally incorrect I'm trying to point out that the hysteria behind it is.

I don't think there is hysteria from the couple of people in the media that have expressed a couple of sentences of opinion. Rather it's the "outrage" expressed by some hyper-sensitive supporters that makes the issue bigger that what it is.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

I am waiting for the 4 point games to begin and if JW was showing this form in round 10 I could understand the amount of the criticism coming his way. That's my problem at the moment it isn't the criticism apart from some things Malthouse has said but its the amount of criticism coming so early in a bloody pre season.

The irony is that if Jack hits form when the real season gets underway some will claim that the comments have had the desired effect.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 2

The irony is that if Jack hits form when the real season gets underway some will claim that the comments have had the desired effect.

Crap I didn't think of that! When Watts hits some form Bloody Malthouse is going to take credit for it.

If only watts had the desire, heart, guts whatever you want to call it that bartram does.

And if only Bartram could dispose of a ball and make decisions like Watts can.

Guest Thomo

Nothing wrong with what MM said in that interview. Infact I agree with just about everything he has said about Jack. It's up to Jack to step it up and prove them wrong. By the way when Malthouse, Lethal & Carey all share a similar opinion you should probably take it on board.

Has there been three shitter blokes in football??

I don't think there is hysteria from the couple of people in the media that have expressed a couple of sentences of opinion. Rather it's the "outrage" expressed by some hyper sensitive supporters that makes the issue bigger that what it is.

You are probably right maybe I am being over sensitive and if you can't tell I don't really like Malthouse. But I would still have the same problem if all the talk was about a player from another club's form over pre season.

Anyone stop and think that it may be from Neeld where these Malthouse comments are coming from? As much as I love Jacky boy, they are bloody spot on. Just look at the way Hurley imposes himself in a game. But could you imagine the backlash through media outlets if Neeld said the truth about where Jack is at? He said one line about him early in the preseason and tha tline keeps getting dragged up.

Malthouse has ensured the football world will focus on how Jack reacts out on the field. This could be an absolute masterstroke from Neeld.

Billy, I think you have a point, I have a little twist on it. I don't think it has come from Neeld, but what I do think it is assisting Neeld. Neeld may have mentioned to Mick, this boy Jack is one of the most talented footballers I've seen, Mick watches a couple of games and to assist Mark to fire this bloke up starts to get in to him. It is not hard to agree with Mick that Jack has to show more intensity. His best string of games came after the media went him, then him being the sub against Gold Coast, then we had 8-10 games starting with West Coast which in my opiniion is the best Jack has played for the club.

I guarentee you one think Jack will be having a red hot crack this week, he will leave nothing in the tank, I hope he gets a bit of luck and rewarded for his efforts.

Malthouse is right. Jack in his first two nab cup games has played timid, always appearing on the outside trying to get past someone shepharding the opposition. He needs to affect some clearances at ground level and attack a lot harder in the air.

he is playing soft.

Edited by Bay Riffin

I think some are reading a little too much into this.

1. It's a journo echo-chamber where news is made by journos and (re)reported by journos.

2. Neeld playing games with public pressure on Watts? Are you kidding me? At this point it's not going to get anything more than a "here we go again" shrug from a bloke who has had his name constantly married with the phrase "was he worth the investment?" since the day he was drafted.

I think Neeld just talks honestly to all and sundry at the minute (I am sure he will grow out of that), and he is backing a personal honest chat with Jack to improve what he needs to improve.

Malthouse is right. Jack in his first two nab cup games has played timid, always appearing on the outside trying to get past someone shepharding the opposition. He needs to affect some clearances at grough levels and attack a lot harder in the air.

he is playing soft.

Have you watched the games live at the venue?

This comment couldn't be more wrong, Jack's work of the ball and his ability to contest has been very good. Last week he didn't take many marks but he wasn't beaten in the air and always brought the ball to ground. Our plan last week was kicking long to a contest and he contested and did the team things when out of position like spoiling and blocking.

I am waiting for the 4 point games to begin and if JW was showing this form in round 10 I could understand the amount of the criticism coming his way. That's my problem at the moment it isn't the criticism apart from some things Malthouse has said but its the amount of criticism coming so early in a bloody pre season.

If Jack was a seasoned veteran and was being "selective" in his efforts and was working his way into it for the real season there would be no concerns, but he is not. He is a kid who needs to pull out all stops to impress the coach so he can play round one.

Malthouse is right. Jack in his first two nab cup games has played timid, always appearing on the outside trying to get past someone shepharding the opposition. He needs to affect some clearances at ground level and attack a lot harder in the air.

he is playing soft.

What about the last 15 games that actually mattered?

You know, AFL games.

He carried himself like a man-sized footballer then didn't he?

• Like 1

Malthouse is going to love taking credit for Jack's career when he is dominating .

A few on here will say it was the kick Jack needed. The smart ones will know it was always coming and Jack didn't need a completely un-warranted and un-fair bashing he has got in the media not only this week but from 5 minutes into his career.

• Like 1

Viney12, You can still have an influence and make contests, it doesn't have to be J.Brown like. What people are saying is they would prefer to see him have an impact or have urgency to get involved and impart some physicality instead of sitting out when it suits.

That in part is what Mick is saying, and it won't be the last player he has an opinion on in special comments in 2012.

As for Jack, he'll take it in board. I have no doubt Neeld will be expressing some of these thoughts to Jack one on one for the betterment of his development.

He did this, though, last year - he showed everyone he could take a contested grab, and have an effect on contests (and apply pressure in the forward line - a la his goal against Richmond where he made Houli crap his dacks)

He was poor round 1 NAB cup in torrential rain that didn't suit tall forwards and yes, he had little impact vs, collingwood and looked as though he couldn't work his way into the game

My issue with the media, commentators, supporters (Melbourne and opposition alike), is that it's like we go on rewind with Watts after a poor or quiet game

Everyone shut up during his purple patch, where he was showing hunger and desire, where he was one of our shining lights in an otherwise dimsal period. 2 rounds in to the mickey mouse stuff and all of a sudden were back to 2009 vs, Collingwood levels of criticism

• Like 2

he is playing soft.

Does it really matter at this time of year so much to everyone that his form and every man, woman and child's opinion on it are plastered in the papers, radio and websites. That's what I am trying to get at. I agree Bay Riffin his form hasn't been good but I don't think a 20 year old KPP deserves this attention during the pre season whilst other players all across the league who haven't shown the best of form don't receive squat!

Anyone stop and think that it may be from Neeld where these Malthouse comments are coming from? As much as I love Jacky boy, they are bloody spot on. Just look at the way Hurley imposes himself in a game. But could you imagine the backlash through media outlets if Neeld said the truth about where Jack is at? He said one line about him early in the preseason and tha tline keeps getting dragged up.

Malthouse has ensured the football world will focus on how Jack reacts out on the field. This could be an absolute masterstroke from Neeld.

C'mon Billy. Do you think there really is a vast difference between Hurley and Watts? I've seen Watts impose himself on games just as much as Hurley. This is a myth

Anyway, I have faith that Neeld and Co will be helping young Jack cope through this and more than likely using it to their/his advantage.

• Like 1

Amazing we won, considering the lead weight Watts apparently was...

Always good to see journos looking at the bigger picture.

Rather than retread the same bloody debunked "Watts wasn't worth it" story from last year.

• Like 1

He did this, though, last year - he showed everyone he could take a contested grab, and have an effect on contests (and apply pressure in the forward line - a la his goal against Richmond where he made Houli crap his dacks)

He was poor round 1 NAB cup in torrential rain that didn't suit tall forwards and yes, he had little impact vs, collingwood and looked as though he couldn't work his way into the game

My issue with the media, commentators, supporters (Melbourne and opposition alike), is that it's like we go on rewind with Watts after a poor or quiet game

Everyone shut up during his purple patch, where he was showing hunger and desire, where he was one of our shining lights in an otherwise dimsal period. 2 rounds in to the mickey mouse stuff and all of a sudden were back to 2009 vs, Collingwood levels of criticism

It's hit the fan because 3 highly respected player/coaches/special comments (respected is debatable) all had the same opinion on Jack and then the journalists all scramble like seagulls to a Sunday afternoon fish and chips picnic and feast on these comments. Plus he carries the #1 DP tag which carries more emphasis than a pick 19 say.

The facts are he was relatively quiet in a game that was won (which seems to have got lost), after showing glimpses in 2011 of what we come to expect as his biggest fans. We want him to continue on the J curve of improvement. It's a big ask and it requires some patience for many. Let us see what he produces this week and over the first half of 2012 with a new look forward line first . I'm sure the plaudits will soon come and Mick and co may be the first to hail young Jack, seeing as they're on the cutting edge of commentary.

Im just gonna come out and say it: I loved reading every word about that article. Agreed the comment about Watts not being worthy for the no. 1 pick was derisive and unconstructive, but every other part of that article made me smile inside. I'm hoping Jack won't see it as a character assassination but rather something practical and use it as fire to burn his critics in the future.

C'mon Billy. Do you think there really is a vast difference between Hurley and Watts? I've seen Watts impose himself on games just as much as Hurley. This is a myth

Anyway, I have faith that Neeld and Co will be helping young Jack cope through this and more than likely using it to their/his advantage.

I rate Hurley. I rate what Hurley has done so far in his career higher than what Jack has done. But as I said McQueen, I'm far from hitting the panic button (Jack is one of my favourites).

Neeld probably asked Mick to help him out by going public with a rocket for Jack.

And Elvis killed Kennedy.

Elton John was married to a girl at some stage wasn't he? See, stranger things can happen.

It's hit the fan because 3 highly respected player/coaches/special comments (respected is debatable) all had the same opinion on Jack and then the journalists all scramble like seagulls to a Sunday afternoon fish and chips picnic and feast on these comments. Plus he carries the #1 DP tag which carries more emphasis than a pick 19 say.

The facts are he was relatively quiet in a game that was won (which seems to have got lost), after showing glimpses in 2011 of what we come to expect as his biggest fans. We want him to continue on the J curve of improvement. It's a big ask and it requires some patience for many. Let us see what he produces this week and over the first half of 2012 with a new look forward line first . I'm sure the plaudits will soon come and Mick and co may be the first to hail young Jack, seeing as they're on the cutting edge of commentary.

Just because these guys know the game, were champions etc. doesn't mean that they're not sharing the same level of disdain against Watts that most of the football community seems to

Like I said, his good form of last year is erased in these guys minds due to 1 poor showing in a NAB cup match

Watts clearly isn't afforded the benefit of a quiet game without all the old perceptions resurfacing

Edited by Viney12