Melbourne in the news - Saturday 11th February, 2012

Whispering_Jack

An unusual practice/training session was held yesterday at Collingwood's old home ground, Victoria Park - Buckley, Neeld hoping practice makes perfect

Co-operation between Neeld and Buckley?

Never would have happened in the old days when Norm Smith and Phonse Kyne ruled.

I've been labouring under the impression that Mark Neeld has spent the off season building a bigger bodied stronger side in preparation for 2012 but according to Mark Stevens in The Herald Sun, apparently not so - Leaner Melbourne Demons keen to keep it mean.

You really have to love the media, don't you?

Last and definitely not least, the magnificent Martin Flanagan has produced this article in today's Age - Out to revive Demon days

I love his work and wish all Demons had the same positive aspect to the club as this gem of a man. 

Yes, we did have issues in 2011 but it's a brand new year. Let the footy begin!

Stranger things DID happen in the old days. Believe it or not , but brothers and rival coaches , Norm and Len Smith , actually shared a bench seat for the 1960 Second Semi Final Melb. v Fitzroy !

Looks like Sellar is going to get an opportunity. I wonder who will make way?

Sellar will take the role of full back

backline will look like this

Bartram Sellar Morton

Grimes Frawley Rivers

I like that Flanagan article, never a truer word than his closing paragrapgh:

To climb the ladder, Melbourne needs vigour, drive and ambition. Every step, it would seem, has been taken to provide them. But, at the end of the day, Melbourne will only become a power if and when a handful of its players - maybe as few as three or four - establish themselves as major figures in the game, ones who can command whole areas of play and tilt results their team's way. In the end, it is a players' game.
  • Like 3

I have just read the Martin Flanagan article.

The guy writes a book in one page. What a beauty.

Caroline Wilson aint fit to lick his boots after the rubbish she has churned out this week.

I hope all the players are given Martin Flanagan's work to read and study.

It is now time for them to perform. Won't be easy but AFL is a brutal sport. Light the fire Demons.

Some of you people here sure know how to ruin a good thread.

In case you didn't know what you are gospelling about is what the locker room was created for.

And your diatribes are soooo BORING.

Moderator Old55: Moloney posts moved to the Locker Room

Edited by old55
Moderator Old55: Moloney posts moved to the Locker Room

Some of you people here sure know how to ruin a good thread.

In case you didn't know what you are gospelling about is what the locker room was created for.

And your diatribes are soooo BORING.

Yep , you're probably right 'skills' , but it's the instigators of the thread going off the rails that are at fault primarily .

People taking potshots at our best player last year is always going to create conjecture . I don't always bite but I'm sick of the needless player bashing . 'Bossdog' said it best in post #41 .

By the way , do you not feel like defending Brent ?

Back on topic - Martin Flanagan is the best !

Cheers

Luckily Neeld is looking at this club , in terms of effectiveness, devoid of emotion. His assessments are clinical almost the opposite of how many view players.

This is how I've typically viewed our players, which I suppose is a little unusual from a supporter, but I put it down to living through exceedingly bleak times and assessing players and the club accordingly. I really appreciate the good ones, but they've been few and far between.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.