Whatever happened to ...

Whispering_Jack

This is one that touches on my own curiosity more than anything else and it's about promising footballers who create some interest and then fade away into obscurity. The history of the VFL/AFL is littered with them but they are becoming more rare under the modern system of drafts.

There was the story discussed here a while ago about a player mentioned in a brief Demonwiki item - former Highett full forward Graham Douthie who came down to Melbourne and kicked eight goals in his first practice match - an intraclub game at Albert Park on 1 March, 1969. 

According to the Age report on the following Monday entitled Demons have new spearhead hope he kicked six on regular full back Graham Osborne to three quarter time and two more in the final quarter (from drop kicks) when moved to CHF. 

Douthie kicked only one goal in his second practice match and, though he was assigned number 40, he never played senior football.

A different story is one about a young Cranbourne player Rian Healy whose story was referred to me early last year. As a 17-year- old he was outstanding for Cranbourne in the opening round of the MNPFL Casey Cardinia competition kicking five goals in a game played under lights - Cranbourne Eagles Young Gun Steps Up. It was his first game after graduating up from the Under 16s.

His coach, former Demon Doug Koop said he was ready to play after doing a preseason with the Dandenong Stingrays.

"He's not your typical skinny 17-year-old. He has a decent body on him and he really showed some good signs," he said.

After that I heard nothing much about him although it was reported that he was nominated for the Pakenham Gazette Young Gun Award. Apparently, he only kicked one more goal in five games with the seniors and he finished the season in the under 18s.  

I wonder what happened to him. Was he a flash in the pan? Is he trying out for the Stingrays or will he, like Douthie and many others, end up fading out of the limelight?

What's happened with Waylen Manson?

I could also ask what happened with dazzledavey36? One of the most skillful players I've seen in Forum Footy but you haven't come down lately. Are you still playing footy?

Manson, as we know, failed to get drafted and hasn't been seen at the NTFL club Waratah since (nor have Brendan Fevola and Kayne Pettifer). In the interim Waratah have dropped most of their matches with the exception of last week when they beat competition easybeats Darwin well, um, easily.

My Darwin spy tells me the word from the Waratah camp is they expect to see the above trio back soon but, in Fev's case that's unlikely because he's been in hospital after a spider bite and a staph infection. Fev won't be back at Casey either because apparently, they're not spending on costly players - all of their recruiting is apparently aimed at locals and former TAC players.

I'll follow up my sources to see if there's any news about Manson.

Waratah playing ATM and trail the top side Nightcliff by 8 goals about 5 minutes before half time. None of those big name fly ins playing for them today. They're 4th on the ladder after being undefeated to round six and will probably drop another spotbafter this round.

Next up is Aussie's team, the Tiwi Bombers, but Wona hasn't done much since coming back from his ankle injury. He could be up against another former Dee in Shannon Motlop.

I remember us drafting a guy named Micah Berry from Melbourne Grammar in the early 90's and he was really pumped up at the time. The Hun got him to a write a diary of his first pre-season with the Demons as I recall and he seemed on the cusp of it all but alas .... never played a senior game.

*Edit - Just Demonwikied him and it seems he went on to greatness in A & B section ammos.

"Named on the interchange of the Old Melburnians VAFA "Team of the Century" in 1999."

Edited by Range Rover

I remember us drafting a guy named Micah Berry from Melbourne Grammar in the early 90's and he was really pumped up at the time. The Hun got him to a write a diary of his pre-season with the Demons as I recall and he seemed on the cusp of it all but alas .... never played a senior game.

As is being discussed on the Barry Prendergast thread right now, recruiting ain't an exact science, is it?

3031 making the move to maggies this year! you play at all? moved up to wang with the missus :)

Good to hear dazzle. I'm way past it age wise and didn't play much after I left school. Came up here in 1986.

Hope you have a good year at the Maggies.. I probably taught a couple of your team mates. Quite a few of our past students have played for either the Wang Maggies or Hawks (and Sydney Swans, Collingwood and Carlton for that matter :) Give a yell if you want at [email protected]

I remember us drafting a guy named Micah Berry from Melbourne Grammar in the early 90's and he was really pumped up at the time. The Hun got him to a write a diary of his first pre-season with the Demons as I recall and he seemed on the cusp of it all but alas .... never played a senior game.

*Edit - Just Demonwikied him and it seems he went on to greatness in A & B section ammos.

"Named on the interchange of the Old Melburnians VAFA "Team of the Century" in 1999."

God forbid Herald Sun ever open up their archives online I'd love to see that.

Vearing, Jungwirth, Catlin, Dowsing from the fabulous 1966 season. In fact what happened to the whole team did they slip through a wormhole in space. Also what happened to our premiership ruckman, Graham Wise...

The last time I spoke to Graham he was up in Albury. He had or has a motel (the Fountain Court Motor Inn in David Street) near Sodens Hotel. As he is now 69 I would suggest that he no longer has the motel . There is a G L Wise in North Albury which could be him. The Melbourne Past Players would probably know. I can not remember the secretaries full name but he is the father of Linda Pearce the Age tennis writer. Give Lynda Carroll a call at the club and she might know where and what Graham Wise is doing these days.

Kicking goals on Graham Osborne wouldn't necessarily mean a player could kick goals on a more, er, experienced full back. My recollection was that Osborne (number 7?) was one of those players like Greg Hutchison and more recently Lynden Dunn. That is, a player of no fixed position who would willingly fill holes but was never able to hold down a position (or to put it in Herald sun speak "didn't make the position his own").

Kicking goals on Graham Osborne wouldn't necessarily mean a player could kick goals on a more, er, experienced full back. My recollection was that Osborne (number 7?) was one of those players like Greg Hutchison and more recently Lynden Dunn. That is, a player of no fixed position who would willingly fill holes but was never able to hold down a position (or to put it in Herald sun speak "didn't make the position his own").

I remember Graham Osborne well ( also had a brother at the Dees for a short while ).

He played at the dees for something like 10 years to get 100 games up.

Spent as much time in the twos as the seniors.

When he a had good day he was an good backman but on his not so good days he was bloody arwful.

Was an average player at best, Hutchinson and Dunn are much better players than Osborne ever was.

I remember Graham Osborne well ( also had a brother at the Dees for a short while ).

When he a had good day he was an good backman but on his not so good days he was bloody arwful.

Was an average player at best, Hutchinson and Dunn are much better players than Osborne ever was.

I recall Ossy as a player who played foreward and back. Had the odd day out. I think of a Brad Miller type. Never a star.

I would say Lynden Dunn is in the same boat as Osborne. Plays on the fringes. Has brainfades and cant cement a position as his own.

Kelvin Osbourne?

Kelvin Osbourne?

Close but it was Ken Osborne and he wasn't Graham's brother.

Graham worked in settlements at one stage at the NAB and had a son playing at Sandy in the early days of the alignment with Melbourne.

He had a number of ordinary seasons and was a bit mistake prone at times until moved to full back very late in his career where he found his niche to be a pretty good player for a little while.

Close but it was Ken Osborne and he wasn't Graham's brother.

Graham worked in settlements at one stage at the NAB and had a son playing at Sandy in the early days of the alignment with Melbourne.

He had a number of ordinary seasons and was a bit mistake prone at times until moved to full back very late in his career where he found his niche to be a pretty good player for a little while.

Are you certain they were not brothers?

Well I have been labouring with a mistaken identity for 40 years!

truly ordinary footballer was Graham and in celebration of my own unremarkable feats on the footy field I celebrate him as my favourite demon

Funny you should say that nutbean as I used to have a soft spot for him.

In spite of his sometimes poor games, seemed to typify the Dees of that time

Best intentions but ordinary results.