Jumping the Gun

RalphiusMaximus

New Vet's rule for 2013 is 10 year's service, they got rid of the 30 years old. That means Jamar and Rivers qualify in 2013 (and for unrestricted FA). Davey and Sylvia debuted in 2004 so 2012 is their 9th year so they don't qualify until 2014. Wouldn't surprise me if 2012 was Brad Green's last year.

Interesting, I didn't know that. That flexibility should come in quite handy for clubs down the track.

The OP makes a very good point - I reckon we'll need minimum 5 vacancies. With the new coaching set-up everyone is starting from scratch and anything could happen - this time last year Martin and J.Macdonald were probably in the gun but both have been retained.

Yeah, easily.

Does anyone know how long Sellar's contract is for? I would have thought 2 yrs but I suppose 1 yr isn't unreasonable.

Does anyone know how long Sellar's contract is for? I would have thought 2 yrs but I suppose 1 yr isn't unreasonable.

Players picked in the ND automatically get 2 years. That applies to James McDonald at GWS too ...

Players picked in the ND automatically get 2 years. That applies to James McDonald at GWS too ...

18.7 When a first year Player is first drafted by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a playing contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been drafted as a Rookie or where the Player is over 23 years of age by 31 December in the year in which he is selected by a Club.

18.8 Where a person, who has nominated for the AFL Draft, can demonstrate to the AFLGeneral Manager that the provisions of sub clause 18.7 would operate to unreasonably restrain him from obtaining employment with an AFL Club as a professional footballer, the provisions of the sub clause 18.7 will not apply.

Sellar is too young but this rule stipulates 'first year players' which I don't think applies to re-drafted players. Junior would have to be on a 1-year contract.

Having said that, we are without a CBA right now as the other has expired and the new one not finalised.

Edited by rpfc

Sellar is too young but this rule stipulates 'first year players' which I don't think applies to re-drafted players. Junior would have to be on a 1-year contract. Having said that, we are without a CBA right now as the other has expired and the new one not finalised.

OK thanks for that

It's very worthwhile to discuss the fact that we'll need to find a number of vacancies and that won't be easy. The mature age recruiting in the rookie draft won't make it any easier because those players will be pushing for faster elevation too. The Max Gawn injury illustrates how dangerous it is to start naming names too early - Jake Spencer stocks have risen sharply.

Edited by old55

It's very worthwhile to discuss the fact that we'll need to find a number of vacancies and that won't be easy. The mature age recruiting in the rookie draft won't make it any easier because those players will be pushing for faster elevation too. The Max Gawn injury illustrates how dangerous it is to start naming names too early - Jake Spencer stocks have risen sharply.

Yes, if he can break into the team suddenly it becomes an issue where we have to decide to nix him and put faith in a bloke who has had 2 knee recos before he is 20...

If Spencer can break in show anything at all he will be kept from where I sit.

Cook will be a very good player in two or three years time, We got Clark for the now and a lot of forwards developing for the future. You do not draft these types of player to get rid of them before they are given the time to develop and put in the work to get the best out of them

Remember it took D Neitz three or four years to be the type of footballer that he became

In his first season, at 18 years old, he picked up a Rising Star nom.

In his second season, at 19 years old, Neitz played in the Victorian State of Origin team.

In his third season, at 20 years old, he was again picked for Victoria and was also an All Australian.

Spencer just moved up one position in the pecking order but he'll still need 1-2 injuries in order to break into the team.

Time to throw a spanner in - Davey to be traded end of the 2012 season. Won't fill a role in Neeld's structure a la Medhurst at Collingwood.

And before you all boo and hiss, we haven't seen much out of him in two years in my opinion, and it's an opinion I maintain - I think he's played one good game in the last two years, and that was early 2010.

Edited by Striker475

I reckon it has even less to do with Spencer's stocks if you're talking about list management, unless you think Gawn's likely to do his knee for a third time.

Spencer's contract is up for renewal at the end of 2012, Gawn will still be in recovery mode then. Jamar is injury prone.

Yes, if he can break into the team suddenly it becomes an issue where we have to decide to nix him and put faith in a bloke who has had 2 knee recos before he is 20...

If Spencer can break in show anything at all he will be kept from where I sit.

It's not just us who will decide. Unlike many I rate Spencer. He is a huge man, he is surprisingly quick and has better skills than many think. But above all that he is very competitive.

If he does manage to stake any sort of claim we will be in list management horror because Spencer may attract significant interest from other clubs and not only will we have to decide on his status we may have to put a much sharper price on it. Having said that we should keep in mind that we do have Mitch Clark and Jack Fitzpatrick sitting in the wings so much will depend on them. If Clark fails as a forward the waters will be further muddied.

Gawns unfortunate injury is the best Christmas present Jake could have got.

• Like 1

Yes! He has to lift in fitness, form and, most importantly, leadership.

He shouldn't be in the leadership group in 2012 and should focus on fitness and form.

Evolving into cat that is burning credits based on past glories.

Spencer's contract is up for renewal at the end of 2012, Gawn will still be in recovery mode then. Jamar is injury prone.

Agree I think Spencer could be very important for us now. He has been a sleeper and unfarily maligned alot of last year.

Edit: Just saw Fan's post and it captures the Spencer equation very well

Guest Thomo

Gawn could be cut. 20 years old with two knee reconstructions, if it looks like his knees are not going to cope with AFL he should be moved on. Anyone know his contract status?

It's not just us who will decide. Unlike many I rate Spencer. He is a huge man, he is surprisingly quick and has better skills than many think. But above all that he is very competitive.

If he does manage to stake any sort of claim we will be in list management horror because Spencer may attract significant interest from other clubs and not only will we have to decide on his status we may have to put a much sharper price on it. Having said that we should keep in mind that we do have Mitch Clark and Jack Fitzpatrick sitting in the wings so much will depend on them. If Clark fails as a forward the waters will be further muddied.

Gawns unfortunate injury is the best Christmas present Jake could have got.

You make some valid points, but you lost me when you started talking about Jake's skills. I'm sure he has the physical attributes to be an AFL ruckman, mentally who knows if he has what it takes to push himself to get to a better level. Skills wise, I'm not sure if he will ever be blessed with good skills. Probably the biggest deficiency in his game is his kicking.

. Skills wise, I'm not sure if he will ever be blessed with good skills.

He'll never have small man skills but there have been many a crash and bash ruckman who have carved out careers. I'm not saying he'll be an exceptional ruckman but he may well be one who is in the Jamie Charman, Steven King, Ivan Maric, Tom Bellchambers type. In todays game there aren't many ruckmen who you want to have the ball in general play so his around the ground skills don't have to be all that good for him to be a good serviceable ruckman. He needs speed to get to contests and endurance to be able to at worst negate his man and he needs to have good ruck skills.

He's not that far off being able to play AFL footy.

• Like 2

Time to throw a spanner in - Davey to be traded end of the 2012 season. Won't fill a role in Neeld's structure a la Medhurst at Collingwood.

And before you all boo and hiss, we haven't seen much out of him in two years in my opinion, and it's an opinion I maintain - I think he's played one good game in the last two years, and that was early 2010.

I think that this year was his only ordinary year. Last year I thought he was our best player for getting the ball out of our defence. In fact I think some people would not have been surprised if he was made captain a year ago.