Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld

Real Demon

Here's a quick summary of the conference

From Schwab

Schwab confident of players recruitment

Internally they had standout candidates

Mark Neeld preferred candidate

Neeld has outright coaching ability

Coached western jets

Defensive line coach originally

Then midfield coach

Locked in at 6pm

Process was an open one informed Collingwood of their intentions to speak to Neeld

Congratulates Neeld

Mark Neeld

Thanks MFC and selection committee, family and filth

A lot of work to do a footy coach foremost

Can’t wait for the challenge

15 years of coaching football at different levels

Welcomes profile that comes with senior coaching

Coming from a professional organisation

MFC people he has met that they have pride and passion committed and working hard

Will be surrounded with successful people with successful approach

Combination of improving the list and developing the list

As a coach stands for the ‘hardest team to play against’

I'm feeling pretty confident he can turn things around for us! I am starting to get excited again :)

Any news on his assistants? Is Craig coming too or is Neeld going to bring his own men? I wouldn't mind someone with senior coaching experience being with him to act an advisor of sorts.

I'm feeling pretty confident he can turn things around for us! I am starting to get excited again :)

Any news on his assistants? Is Craig coming too or is Neeld going to bring his own men? I wouldn't mind someone with senior coaching experience being with him to act an advisor of sorts.

“I simply want us to be the hardest team in the AFL to play against”

From the Press Conference.

Ticks the box for me.

Go Dees!!!

I realise this is an unpopular sentiment here but I am a little underwhelmed by the appointment. Happy to become overwhelmed by results over the pre-season and seeing how he coaches. Oh I should add I just missed the press confernence, so unable to make an opinion on that, but thanks for Diablo's summary.

Won't make a difference whether I renew my membreship or not as some comments I've read have suggested.

I've noticed a few comments reegarding Clarkson being untried, he did coach in the VFL and had premiership sucess in his first year at Centrals in the SANFL, some comments here read as if he were a Tim Watson type appoinment at the Saints.

Edited by Rich Demon

Whether or not it was his "outside" impression of us I loved his choice of response. He could have fielded the question of what sort he wanted acheive with words like success ,premierships or even the dreaded competitive - he went with the word "hard". "We will be the HARDEST team to play against".

I think the wider football community does view us as a bit soft and even happy to be "ok" - certainly we are not perceived as having a hard ruthless edge. I talked to good mate of mine who barracks for cats and he pointed out that until Thompson the cats could not dispell the "handbaggers" tag. We havent heard it since Thompson turned them around. It takes a year or two of displaying hardness to be perceived as a hard team.

I realise this is an unpopular sentiment here but I am a little underwhelmed by the appointment. Happy to become overwhelmed by results over the pre-season and seeing how he coaches.

Won't make a difference whether I renew my membreship or not as some comments I've read have suggested.

I've noticed a few comments regarding Clarkson being untried, he did coach in the VFL and had premiership success in his first year at Centrals in the SANFL, some comments here read as if he were a Tim Watson type appointment at the Saints.

Of course you're underwhelmed because Neeld comes with no recognizable name, and there were no fire works at the press conference.

Coached his local team to 4 premierships in a row, that requires baddassness no matter what league you're in. Spent the last 4 years under Malthouse... yet everone would do a back flip if we landed MM- but his protoge leaves you underwhelmed?

It's an unpopular sentiment because it is unfounded and based on your own insecurity. Get behind the club.

Guest Jack Donaghy

Interesting - according to Schwab, they didn't ask to see a powerpoint or a video analysis from candidates.

on SEN talking now, btw

Edited by Jack Donaghy

I've noticed a few comments reegarding Clarkson being untried, he did coach in the VFL and had premiership sucess in his first year at Centrals in the SANFL, some comments here read as if he were a Tim Watson type appoinment at the Saints.

Clarksons resume prior to the senior gig at the Hawks reads no better or worse than Neelds. There is a huge amount of difference between a Clarkson/Neeld and a Watson (and even Hird).

The point that is being made is that the assistants like Neeld or Clarkson are untried as senior coaches and the Clarkson comparison is in response to the debate of an experienced senior coach as opposed to an untried assistant. Drawing the comparison to Clarkson is very valid.

Whether or not it was his "outside" impression of us I loved his choice of response. He could have fielded the question of what sort he wanted acheive with words like success ,premierships or even the dreaded competitive - he went with the word "hard". "We will be the HARDEST team to play against".

I think the wider football community does view us as a bit soft and even happy to be "ok" - certainly we are not perceived as having a hard ruthless edge. I talked to good mate of mine who barracks for cats and he pointed out that until Thompson the cats could not dispell the "handbaggers" tag. We havent heard it since Thompson turned them around. It takes a year or two of displaying hardness to be perceived as a hard team.

OMG, I remember them being called the "handbaggers" what a distant memory that is now!

And you are so correct lovely post! We are soft- now I don't know if Neeld meant hardest team as in physically, but I suppose you have to be pretty tough to be a hard team to play against, so I guess the two go hand in hand.

Can't wait to see the team that we assemble around him.

Of course you're underwhelmed because Neeld comes with no recognizable name, and there were no fire works at the press conference.

Coached his local team to 4 premierships in a row, that requires baddassness no matter what league you're in. Spent the last 4 years under Malthouse... yet everone would do a back flip if we landed MM- but his protoge leaves you underwhelmed?

It's an unpopular sentiment because it is unfounded and based on your own insecurity. Get behind the club.

Neeld could be Clarkson circa 2005 or Lyon circa 2007.

He may fail.

But a Malthouse could be a Malcolm Blight circa 2005 or a Sheedy 2012-2013 ( given long term leave of absense mid 2013 - due to senility)

Listened to Schwab on SEN and he let slip "when we were talking to Mick Malthouse", not sure whether they were talking to him about Neeld or about him coming across after next year as coaching director. Refused to talk about Craig one way or the other.

When they finished up Hudson said there were a couple of interesting things in there but we don't have anymore time. I reckon Schwab could talk under water wearing a gag.

Edited by RobbieF

Thought he spoke well with a very direct no BS approach and a hint of arrogance. The key thing which has slipped through and I amazed the media did not ask more about was that we have assured he will be surrounded with a strong group of successful people. That to me means large changes in our assistances coaches and other areas. Would be great to see Buttifant follow him to Melbourne.

Listened to Schwab on SEN and he let slip "when we were talking to Mick Malthouse", not sure whether they were talking to him about Neeld or about him coming across after next year as coaching director. ..........................

I'm sure he was talking to Malthouse as a 'referee' for our new coach.

I find the suggestion that I am not behind the club abhorrent. I do not diasgree with the appointment, I am not calling for Garry's head, I'm just a little underwhelmed at the decision and perhaps the timing of the announcement. I am more than prepared to give Neeld a chance based on what is done between now and round 1 and thereafter. I don't want to see us in this position again for a very long time.

I am already slightly more whelmed (I know) following Schwab's interview on SEN and Neeld's interview on DeeTV.

Anyway, I need to put a quaddie on.

Thought he spoke well with a very direct no BS approach and a hint of arrogance. The key thing which has slipped through and I amazed the media did not ask more about was that we have assured he will be surrounded with a strong group of successful people. That to me means large changes in our assistances coaches and other areas. Would be great to see Buttifant follow him to Melbourne.

Cameron doesn't give them the opportunity of asking questions he just keeps on talking, I'm not complaining just pointing it out.

I'm happy with him at the club and I'm happy with Neeld as Coach. Let's hope that he gets the people that he needs behind him and the supporters get on board as well.

I think Viney has thicker skin than that.

Viney will be fine, he stated he didn't want the job at first so he wasn't 100%, he will go back to the great job he had before Bailey got the flick. After hearing Neeld I think and HOPE he will be good, I hope he will be.

I'm happy with him at the club and I'm happy with Neeld as Coach. Let's hope that he gets the people that he needs behind him and the supporters get on board as well.

You missed one Robbie - the players !!!!

I am hoping the players embrace being the hardest team to play and learn and display what they will be taught by this man ( an effective forward press for one !)

I am already slightly more whelmed (I know) following Schwab's interview on SEN and Neeld's interview on DeeTV.

I am neither overwhelmed or underwhelmed - i will take a supportive what and see approach.

I am completely parallelo-whelmed

Viney will be fine, he stated he didn't want the job at first so he wasn't 100%, he will go back to the great job he had before Bailey got the flick. After hearing Neeld I think and HOPE he will be good, I hope he will be.

Schwab said on SEN that Viney had done a great job as interim and was seen as a key member of the football department moving forward. Wouldn't surprise to see him become a member of the frontline assistants next season.

He also said, as someone else mentioned, that powerpoints were banned (must have been reading Demonland). They spoke to the candidates about their philosophies, where the game was headed, how they wanted to play...

Some have mentioned it, but when he said:

I simply want to coach the team that's the hardest to play against in the AFL. That means, that all over the ground, we're going to be the hardest team to play against. That's our aim. Simple as that.

it was more than just word. He eyeballed the journo who asked the question, not a ridiculous over the top eyeball, but just looked at him, commanding his attention. I loved it, he seemed so in command, hard but calm. Fantastic. Can't wait to see what he does with our team.

it should be interesting seeing he's helped Collingwood be so destructive in the midfield too, something Melbourne really need. Along with Viney and his skills as a hard running player put forth to the players. Im looking forward to it, and do hope it comes off in the next few years.

Hoping he will bring across with him another highly rated Collingwood assistant - Scott Watters.

Edited by Harry Manback