Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

Odd.

Tom really, really does not want to go.

That Dale Holmes is prepared to discuss him suggests everything is now fully transparent: the offer is there and he has not decided.

Mike Sheahan is on suicide watch.

Cancel the watch part, just let nature do what's best.

It's fair to say that a lot of water had passed under the bridge since the offer from GWS was first put to Tom - most notably the sacking of the Coach and more recently the signing of some key players.

All this will be adding to the delay in the decision (even though I guess Ward has had similar outcomes at the Dogs) and I believe it must be playing a big part in Tom's analysis of not only the status quo, but also looking ahead into that 5 years of potential GWS shambles.

He's a smart kid, no doubting that, and I really would not be surprised if a large weighting of the decision was based on who the Coach will be - whether that's announced before Tom's decision or after.

So, should we barrack like hell for the Swans this week? MFC call a presser next Wednesday to announce Ross LYon as coach and Scully hass signed a 4 year deal.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more footy journos than players these days and the need to stand out to get ahead, and that means writing, saying, and tweeting things that they really don't care to corroborate fully.

Quite a lot of articles these days seem to be opinions in the guise factual reporting.

I've heard a few people mention the term "presstitutes" of late, seems more and more appropriate.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Of course it's sad to lose him. It's a bummer to lose a no.1 draft pick for 'so-so' compensation.

You STILL didn't answer the question.

It was:

Will you be happy or sad if Tom decides to stay?

Odd.

Tom really, really does not want to go.

That Dale Holmes is prepared to discuss him suggests everything is now fully transparent: the offer is there and he has not decided.

Mike Sheahan is on suicide watch.

{Longtime reader, first time poster this thread}

Absolutely. Hence why Gerard checked with Mike On the Couch for the umpteenth time. Gold.

This, Garry Lyon's comments on his discussions with Tom he mentioned on Monday night, and James Frawley's indicative response after the game on Sunday would suggest that Tom hasn't made his 'decision' as yet. Of which he is now in the process of doing.

I could now hear a pin drop on those who have referred and/or inferred to him as a liar.

I'll continue to take Tom on his word.

I think I've said that many-a-time. Last time before his decision. Carry on.

Sunny up here in Sydney and no sign of Tom. :P

The original article from Robinson and Ralph had a bad smell to it in my opinion. For the umpteenth time in this saga, it was full of absolutely nothing, other than Sheedy trying to create more exposure for his brand (which is what he is getting paid to do), and journo's stupidly taking the bait and running with it. There was absolutely no proof that Scully was going to "check out the facilities", and the only one that was claimed to advise him to do so was Sheedy himself!

Now we have some words in the press conference from their CEO that are starting to confirm what Tom has been telling us all year. Is their CEO lying? Who knows. But going by the quotes in the SMH, I am growing with confidence by the hour. But I still think one thing is certain, Tom hasn't made up his mind. Credit to the kid if he walks away from what the GWS are offering, and unless it is made public from the MFC what it actually is that we are paying him, it is quite unfair to suggest that we are paying him way over the odds.

What was Trengove's recent contract extension worth?

I agree, 3/4 of that article was quotes from Garry Lyon and Russel Robertson. It took two blokes (Robbo and Ralphy) to put together the other 1/4. Either they are not very good Journo's or it is all pi55 and wind!

There were no reports of what the $$ component was on JT's contract extension was or Colin Sylvia's for that matter. It was reported that JT was not fussed about how much he received for doing something he loved.

He does try to pass it off as fact - by implying any one who thinks other wise needs to "wake up" or is an "idiot"

Disagree - certainly a bit of [censored] for tat - aggression met with aggression but I have been sparring with RR for 6 months on this ( embarrassed to say) and disagreed with 98% of his opinion but havent been called an idiot yet ( the day is still young). I dont think he has passed anything off as fact

C'mon Vines. Harden up a bit. Compared to the sprays I've copped over the year for holding my opinion that's nothing.

You STILL didn't answer the question.

It was:

Will you be happy or sad if Tom decides to stay?

Happy? Yes ... but it would be tempered a little by the fact that I think he dragged this out unecessarily.

More accurately I would be embarrassed that my analysis was so off key and would probably post some sort of apologetic mea culpa that will be howled down and laughed at by those who hold the opposing view to mine.

My question to you then is ... will you, Rpfc and others feel similarly embarrassed when he leaves or will you let your ego get the better of you and steadfastly buy into the nonsense that he made his decision this week?

I suspect it will be the latter.

Edited by Range Rover

People saying the coaching situation may be a deciding factor, GWS has Sheeds for god sake.... unless Choco is goimg to coach i dont see how we can appoint anybody worse than Sheeds, seriously is a wanka, definition of senile

Maybe signing Trengove up ect may help, Scully knowing that all the other "young guns" will be on board for 3 years at least

People saying the coaching situation may be a deciding factor, GWS has Sheeds for god sake.... unless Choco is goimg to coach i dont see how we can appoint anybody worse than Sheeds, seriously is a wanka, definition of senile

Maybe signing Trengove up ect may help, Scully knowing that all the other "young guns" will be on board for 3 years at least

If you believe what 'people' say then its more likely that he is trying to find out GWS's alcohol policy on end-of-season trips.

Happy? Yes ... but it would be tempered a little by the fact that I think he dragged this out unecessarily.

More accurately I would be embarrassed that my analysis was so off key and would probably post some sort of apologetic mea culpa that would be howled down and laughed at by those who hold the opposing view to mine.

My question to you then is ... will you, Rpfc and others feel similarly embarrassed when he leaves or will you let your ego get the better of you and steadfastly buy into the nonsense that he made his decision this week?

Can you give me the third choice if he leaves ? - I will say - Tom said he wanted to make his decision seasons end - with the absense of any facts to the contrary I have no reason to believe otherwise. If any proof comes out to the contrary that shows that a deal had been done last October, this April, June or July I will be the first to say - RR you were right and TS you are lying %#$#$%^%$^$& and Nutbean is a first class fool.

I am still in the camp that beleives Ablett vacilated throughout last season and the decision was made after his spat with Bomber Thompson. Others will swear it was way earlier in the year.

May be old fashioned but Tom would be putting together his Pros and Cons list about now...

Pros to staying at MFC

• Team mates and established relationships
  • Team more developed than GWS
  • Home town, established routine...
  • New coach in ... (Tom knows ;-))
  • Possibility of finals in 2012 and beyond

Cons to staying at MFC

• More money at GWS

May not have covered all the factors at play and am undoubtedly biased. Any other issues (pros and Cons) you'd be weighing up in Tom's shoes?

Pro's

Plays home games on the greatest ground in Australia

Close to family

Best supporters

Con's

GWS is a 5hithole

More accurately I would be embarrassed that my analysis was so off key and would probably post some sort of apologetic mea culpa that will be howled down and laughed at by those who hold the opposing view to mine.

I don't care if he goes or stays, but i have to say i hope he does stay, just so i can see Range Rover apologize for an argument with RPFC that has gone for about 6 months.

Hell, or vise versa

Con's

GWS is a 5hithole

The only problem with GWS will be playing to very small crowds and getting belted for a few years to come. The idea of living in the West of Sydney is a furphy.I would like to know where the football ground is in Brighton because I reckon 70% of footballers live there.

Lots of the Lions live on fantastic properties on the gold coast. Just because you play in the West doesnt mean you will live there.

Edited by nutbean

I don't care if he goes or stays, but i have to say i hope he does stay, just so i can see Range Rover apologize for an argument with RPFC that has gone for about 6 months.

Hell, or vise versa

I am with you mate, there arguement, no it is more a heated debate to be fair has been rocking since before Toms Presser (well Before)

I don't mind a good arguement myself, but i can't keep it up for that long!!!!! Kudos.B)

Can you give me the third choice if he leaves ? - I will say - Tom said he wanted to make his decision seasons end - with the absense of any facts to the contrary I have no reason to believe otherwise. If any proof comes out to the contrary that shows that a deal had been done last October, this April, June or July I will be the first to say - RR you were right and TS you are lying %#$#$%^%$^{:content:}amp; and Nutbean is a first class fool.

I am still in the camp that beleives Ablett vacilated throughout last season and the decision was made after his spat with Bomber Thompson. Others will swear it was way earlier in the year.

Really Nutbean ... you'd still hold that view? Fair enough but I think it just stretches believability beyond its limits to think that he sat down on Monday, opened the envelope with the offer in it and made a decision by the end of the week. I mean ... come on.

If he goes, it vindicates the Ox, the journos and anyone who's known/suspected a bit of bluff and bluster has been going on.

That'll be embarrassing for the journo bashers on here and I look forward to their responses on the matter. Some apologies to David Schwarz will be in order because I think his reputation has taken a fair hammering over the course of the year.

Edited by Range Rover

Let's put it in to perspective though

It's announced GWS are interested in Scully in Feb?

Scully holds a presser in March, at his request, where he denies an approach / discussions

In may Stynes states he had a sit down with Tom, Tom told him to his face no approach

Scully has maintained he will decide at seasons end

A whole lot of rumour, innuendo, speculative journalism follows

Positions from some in the media get watery

Journos are shown up to be making wrong calls (Carlisle from Port, Walker from Crows)

They nail a couple (Ward / Palmer) however, these guys state their decision wasn't cemented until late (Ward says late last week he'd pretty much made up his mind)

We hear Scully is going to tour the facilities

GWS CEO says its news to him, Tom's been given an offer and is obviously deciding, including talks with Melbourne

So surely it's simpler to believe, Scully is merely doing what he said initially, deciding after the season is done

Otherwise it's Stynes, Lyon et al. lying to save their / the clubs reputation (which in reality is BS as if anything we'll receive sympathy from many if he does go) AND the GWS management who have all agreed to extend Tom, GWS and the MFC the courtesy of delaying the announcement so we can save Tom face, and the club face and allow them to spread out their marquee signings

Maybe you just need to simplify your view of the whole thing

Guest Thomo

The only problem with GWS will be playing to very small crowds. The idea of living in the West of Sydney is a furphy.I would like to know where the football ground is in Brighton because I reckon 70% of footballers live there.

Lots of the Lions live on fantastic properties on the gold coast. Just because you play in the West doesnt mean you will live there.

I don't understand why the crowd size would make any difference to a player.

As for the other pro's and cons listed, after watching Gold Coast this year I'd say a player has more chance of playing in a premiership at GWS than MFC in the next decade. They will also have better funding and better facilities. I'd also rather live in a warmer Climate on the beach in Bronte than Berwick. Western Sydney may be a hole, but the good places in Sydney are much better to live than anywhere in Melbourne.

The only pro’s I can see to stay at MFC are friends and family in Melbourne, and loyalty to the club. Money, premiership success, facilities, stability and lifestyle are all in Sydney.

So, should we barrack like hell for the Swans this week? MFC call a presser next Wednesday to announce Ross LYon as coach and Scully hass signed a 4 year deal.

In my utopian world, that is exactly what will happen.

Can only hope..

Let's put it in to perspective though

It's announced GWS are interested in Scully in Feb?

Scully holds a presser in March, at his request, where he denies an approach / discussions

In may Stynes states he had a sit down with Tom, Tom told him to his face no approach

Scully has maintained he will decide at seasons end

A whole lot of rumour, innuendo, speculative journalism follows

Positions from some in the media get watery

Journos are shown up to be making wrong calls (Carlisle from Port, Walker from Crows)

They nail a couple (Ward / Palmer) however, these guys state their decision wasn't cemented until late (Ward says late last week he'd pretty much made up his mind)

We hear Scully is going to tour the facilities

GWS CEO says its news to him, Tom's been given an offer and is obviously deciding, including talks with Melbourne

So surely it's simpler to believe, Scully is merely doing what he said initially, deciding after the season is done

Otherwise it's Stynes, Lyon et al. lying to save their / the clubs reputation (which in reality is BS as if anything we'll receive sympathy from many if he does go) AND the GWS management who have all agreed to extend Tom, GWS and the MFC the courtesy of delaying the announcement so we can save Tom face, and the club face and allow them to spread out their marquee signings

Maybe you just need to simplify your view of the whole thing

You need to stop taking everything you see at face value and start using a bit of grey matter.

"Lying is football's second language and clearly it's biggest blight"

- Patrick Smith

Really Nutbean ... you'd still hold that view? Fair enough but I think it just stretches believability beyond its limits to think that he sat down on Monday, opened the envelope with the offer in it and made a decision by the end of the week. I mean ... come on.

If he goes, it vindicates the Ox, the journos and anyone who's known/suspected a bit of bluff and bluster has been going on.

That'll be embarrassing for the journo bashers on here and I look forward to their responses on the matter.

I have no idea when the offers came but everyone is telling the same lie as Tom - the offer didnt come from GWS until 4 weeks ago (ish) - and if it is lie then i am believing it as I havent seen anything to the contrary.

Did he know the offer when there were officially given - I suspect he had some idea and I am not going to dissect every word said by every person but I think he has probably been thinking about it and is true to his word that he didnt want to make his decision until season end.

If he goes it vindicates no one until someone presents facts of a different timetable that Tom has outlined.

You do seem intent on a formal offer being given last year. One of my gigs is doing integration for a group of companies ( combining services) and one of my best strategies is putting offers on hold. "I can do this for your group at such and such - can i come and see you" - No - i am not looking at this now.....one month later i get the same freakin phone call but the verbal offer has increased. No - I am still not looking into this now. By the time I say I am now open to offers what is officially put on the table is vastly different to what the through away offer on the phone was - much better. And I I have no problem in saying I havent received an offer. My opinion is that longer Velocity refused to take an offer for Scully the better the contract would be.

I have no trouble at all believing that an offer didnt come until late in the piece because thats my turf and what I deal with.

I have no trouble at all believing that Tom didnt want to give the contract a thought until after the season.

I don't understand why the crowd size would make any difference to a player.

As for the other pro's and cons listed, after watching Gold Coast this year I'd say a player has more chance of playing in a premiership at GWS than MFC in the next decade. They will also have better funding and better facilities. I'd also rather live in a warmer Climate on the beach in Bronte than Berwick. Western Sydney may be a hole, but the good places in Sydney are much better to live than anywhere in Melbourne.

The only pro’s I can see to stay at MFC are friends and family in Melbourne, and loyalty to the club. Money, premiership success, facilities, stability and lifestyle are all in Sydney.

1/ All players agree that the love playing to the big crowds - every second week to 10000 people ? fun !

2/ dont necessarily agree with you about premiership window

3/ facilities are good at the MFC

4/ lifestyle - well at least where you live - agreed !

5/ money - agree

Hell, or vise versa

I will apologise to Demonland if it comes out that Tom had agreed to go to GWS before the end of the season.

That is what I trusted his word on.

If he leaves, he leaves.

What I object to is the impugning of Tom and those who believe his word, based on little more than rumour and their own 'logical' conjecture.

He is a Demon until he isn't.

You need to stop taking everything you see at face value and start using a bit of grey matter.

"Lying is football's second language and clearly it's biggest blight"

- Patrick Smith

Theres the rub - you could be right or wrong.

Tom staying or leaving proves nothing either way.

You may be 100% right that he has committed all the way along the line and MFC may talk him into staying this week.

Heres the difference between us - I deal in what I do know - not in what I dont know.

Where there is conflicting information I try to sort fact from heresay from fiction.

Your theory is good but without any proof period. Toms statements are clear but you are right - he could be telling whoopers.

It costs me nothing to believe in the persons statement who this is about.

Until someone firsthand to the situation comes out and says - "this is how it went down" - Tom staying or going will prove no-ones theories right.

So face value it is.