No.1 Trade Priority

Range Rover

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted the bottom option.

I think we have big-bodied KPFs on our list. I still call for Martin to play as our FF, and this can be justified by the improvement to his game in the ruck this year when he was forced to play the one position. Watts will be a big unit next year - let's not forget his form for about 2 months mid-season where players just kicked it in his direction because they had confidence in his ability. Words directly from the JWs mouth after the game Sunday was that for the past week or two he has been totally cooked - a long year, but a great development year. Only KPF I would look at is Fev as a rookie, but that's a controversial call.

A tough, quality, inside mid will come at a heavy price, and I just don't know who we have on our list that I would want to get rid of that would be worth the value we need to offer. Maybe Morton and our first-rounder to get someone quite handy, but I'm not sure if it will get us what we are asking for.

Small quick-crumbing forward is an interesting one. IF, and it's a bloody big IF, Aussie can keep it together, he is easily the man for the job. You just have to look at the games he's played to realise it, but for many circumstances, we just haven't seen the best of him consistently. I know he is big in body shape, perhaps Tapscott can fill this role? I'm looking at Blair and Fasalo as comparisons.

Laser-booted quick running defenders, well, I think this is probably one area that we are fine with. Blease can do it, Strauss was showing he can do it, Nicholson can do it, Bennell can do it.

I'm happy to keep waiting for these players to develop - will probably be another 2 years until I would look at the trade table with any great interest, and by that stage Free Agency will come in to play and hopefully we will have players tha tfill the right spots wanting to play for us for a change!

Edited by billy2803

Key Forward for sure! John Butcher would be great.. but we wont get him!

Tough, quality mid - already getting J Viney!

Small, quick crumbing forward - still got wonna to come back, plus a bunch of others that could do this

Laser booted, quick running defender - if Blease continues his form he will be perfect!

now for all of these players to get older and bigger!

My vote is for a small crumbing forward. Our list has Cook and Fitpatrick who are both totally untried and if Stef Martin continues to develop he might be considered KPF also.

Wonna could be a gun as a small forward but I am unsure if he will ever mentally be in the right place to play out a full season.

Maric has all the skills but seems to waste them with laziness and lack of effort when promoted to AFL standard.

If Blease continues to shine down back, maybe Tapscott can take the small forward role but he does not seem to be the crumbing type (Milne, Phil Matera, Aker etc...)

Josh Mahoney & co. have indicated that they will be active this trade period.

Interesting to hear that HT, thanks for the info. My only question is how would Josh Mahoney know? With a new coach coming in, Mahoney's future isn't 100% assured.

It will be an interesting place to be for the next couple of months, that's for sure.

Interesting to hear that HT, thanks for the info. My only question is how would Josh Mahoney know? With a new coach coming in, Mahoney's future isn't 100% assured.

It will be an interesting place to be for the next couple of months, that's for sure.

That thought did cross my mind too billy. But I just think that would be the general consensus from all within, particularly 'list management.'

Yes HT, but the question is what would YOU want

I've already voted dc....

I want a 'rolls-royce' midfield. I've always been pushing this.

I don't always get what I want though. I always wanted every footy swap card when I was a kid, but always managed to be one or two short of the entire pack.

I hope our club delivers.

I've already voted dc....

I want a 'rolls-royce' midfield.

I don't always get what I want though. I always wanted every footy swap card when I was a kid, but always managed to be one or two short of the entire pack.

I hope our club delivers.

Me too, but I'd settle for at least a Lexus one :)

I find it interesting that I am the only one voting for a quick running defender...

I feel with serious long term injuries to Strauss & Grimes, we need a little more depth in this area. Blease has come on. But if Tappscott is to be played midfield/forward as planned, our depth in small running defenders is pretty slim if Grimes or Strauss were to have further injuries concerns. Dan Nicholson, Blease and Bail are options but I think we need more depth as this is clearly one of the most important roles in modern footy. Davey will probably be on the way out in a year or two and Benell hasnt come along as hoped....

I feel with Fitzpatrick and Cook, combined with Watts we are going to be ok for big forwards. Having said that id still love to snare Butcher!

Inside mids we could use although we do have Viney on the way.

Still another quality running wing/defender in the mould of a grimes would be great.

I do consider it as a priority, but not necessarily our "No.1 priority".

I think we can make do with what we have at present. Blease, Strauss, Nicholson and Tapscott come immediately to mind.

We'll need more than just Viney IMO for the midfield.

Me too, but I'd settle for at least a Lexus one :)

Don't you envy the Hawthorn's, Collingwood's, Geelong's, Carlton's midfield's of this world ?

They're what I consider 'rolls-royce' midfields.

I don't want to end up with a North Melb midfield. That's what I consider a 'Lexus' one.

Don't you envy the Hawthorn's, Collingwood's, Geelong's, Carlton's midfield's of this world ?

They're what I consider 'rolls-royce' midfields.

I don't want to end up with a North Melb midfield. That's what I consider a 'Lexus' one.

Yes of course, but one trade won't get you a rolls-royce midfield

One mid trade, one mid draft, then Viney.....might be on the way for rolls-royce status?

Yes of course, but one trade won't get you a rolls-royce midfield

Absolutely, I consider it a stepping stone.

One mid trade, one mid draft, then Viney.....might be on the way for rolls-royce status?

Fingers crossed for that to happen, I would consider it being KOTD.

Fremantle got KOTD with Fyfe, so there is always hope.

I voted the bottom one. I reckon we can do all we need through the draft alone. As I've mentioned in a previous thread I'd like to see our draft this year go.

1st Pick: Line breaking, quick midfielder with good disposal or quality small crumbing forward.

2nd Pick: Whichever type of player we take with our first pick, we take the other here.

3rd Pick: Myles Sewell or Travis Tuck (inside midfielder who can play a run with role).

4th Pick: Fevola, quality tall KPF.

Addresses all our areas. Some may not like it but it's what I'd like to see.

I voted the bottom one. I reckon we can do all we need through the draft alone. As I've mentioned in a previous thread I'd like to see our draft this year go.

1st Pick: Line breaking, quick midfielder with good disposal or quality small crumbing forward.

2nd Pick: Whichever type of player we take with our first pick, we take the other here.

3rd Pick: Myles Sewell or Travis Tuck (inside midfielder who can play a run with role).

4th Pick: Fevola, quality tall KPF.

Addresses all our areas. Some may not like it but it's what I'd like to see.

I feel for Travis Tuck, but those are issues you generally don't get over quickly unfortunately.

Too big a risk there.

I feel for Travis Tuck, but those are issues you generally don't get over quickly unfortunately.

Too big a risk there.

Agree both he & Fevola would be huge risks!

That's why it's just what I'd like to see. I certainly don't expect it to happen.

Thought I'd voice an opinion on the topic because I reckon it's a very interesting one. I truly believe the primary reason we're not moving forward as quickly as we'd have liked is that our team is truly lacking is quality mature leadership. This aside, there are certainly some list management areas to look at.

By far and away our primary focus needs to be attracting an established, proven key power forward. We have promising developing tall forwards in Watts, Fitzpatrick and Cook (I'll throw Martin in that category also), but in all likelihood both Fitzpatrick and Cook's development over the next two years will be seen primarily at Casey.

In the here and now, we need a forward who could potentially be the difference between us playing finals in 2012 and not. Finals experience is invaluable for players and premiership teams are built on the back of this experience. The sooner we have a taste, the better off we'll be. We need to build the foundations for a forward structure that enables our boys to learn the art of playing in a side with a power forward, which will enable the likes of Fitzpatrick, Cook and Watts to seamlessly transition into that position for us when they are ready. On that basis, and looking purely at football ability, I reckon a committed Fevola is the right option here. Pick him up as a late draft pick, put him on base salary and pay him $12-$15k for each game he plays in the 1s. If he doesn't play the games, he doesn't cost us anything. Win-win for both parties.

The next priority should be towards attaining a genuine elite small crumbing forward (if available). I feel sorry for our current suite of small crumbing forwards i.e. Wona, Maric and old-school Davey because our post-Neitz era has not given them the opportunity to develop their craft like they should have been able. That's been unfortunate. Aaron Davey seems to have lost his way a little, and as we saw against Carlton, his move forward to re-invogorate his play just did not work. You can certainly pass lay some blame to his current mind-set, but I also believe he really lacked opportunities to feed off the crumbs of a KPF. He used to feed off Neitz and Robbo religiously and instinctively. We miss that.

I would love to see us make a play to GWS for the right to select Jaeger O'Meara (no more needs to be said) or 17 yr old Benny Kennedy from SA who looks an absolute gem of a small forward. His acceleration and awareness look elite already and would fill a need of ours in coming years undoubtably.

If we receive two first round picks for Scully, we should go hell for leather to attain the right to compete for one these two elite 17 yr olds who will start alongside Jack Viney in 2013. We should use a combination of Warnock, Bate, Dunn, Morton, excess first round picks, to give us the right to participate in the mini-draft. I don't think we can lose in this scenario.

Thoughts?