• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Green's Vest

rpfc

Some bad puns there...

Thought there would be a thread for this...

Should be one at least.

He cannot be captain next year.

Discuss.

No... that does it for me.. no discussion required really :rolleyes:

Seeing as how we have an established precedent for sacking captains we might as well continue. Why would we want to have some stability at this stage of our development?

Stability, what stability.

We are on course for stability, but first we need to push through this storm and Many have to HTFU, before we come into prosperous times.

I'm still thinking giving anyone just one year as captain isn't acceptable.

Why?

Because it is a public sign that we made a mistake?

Who cares?

Nick Maxwell says that each year he has to get the captaincy - he doesn't inherent it.

We should make Brad 'get it' again, and I don't think he will.

Sh!t happens, this year has been a failure and Bailey has gone - the Leadership Group and the Captain should be 'stepped down' too.

I'm starting to think Col Sylvia...

Maybe I'm still giddy from that hanger in the goal square.

Trengove is the standout at the moment but obviously a couple of years away so it's really an interim captain's role. Not easy.

Sylvia?

We can't go down that road.

It's not even paved. Up until a couple of years ago, it was a very bumpy paddock.

I actually think that being captain is going to kill Brad Green's career, which is a real shame because he has been a very good player for us for many years.

We have to take the leadership role away from him as soon as possible, or it will end up hurting him and the team.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Can you name anyone who is capable or ready for any of that?

Moloney comes to my mind, but I'm still thinking giving anyone just one year as captain isn't acceptable.

"Just one year" is not acceptable? And why not?

I don't care about perception, expectations or anyone outside the club.

It's about doing what is best for the club, and damn the rest.

Removing Green as captain is best for the club.

I don't care if it happens now, or not until preseason, because I don't think it will make much difference.

Give it to Grimes, Trengove and Watts.

Shared captaincy to share the load between 3 young men who are born leaders.

Whether people like the idea of a shared captaincy, or think it is a cop out - I don't care.

It is the best set up for us right now, without overloading expectations on just one kid.

It's different, probably unpopular, but brave, sets a challenge to those blokes, and it will WORK.

Can you name anyone who is capable or ready for any of that?

Moloney comes to my mind, but I still thinking giving anyone just one year as captain isn't acceptable.

Clearly Grant Thomas as coach then and his belief in sharing the captaincy around year to year wasn't an acceptable practice....

In my opinion, captaincy is very important. Just because a bloke has been in the seat for one year, doesn't automatically guarantee two years, or three... .

Last year when after Junior was no longer on the list, many here voted Green as captain. And Moloney wasn't far behind, with Davey thereabouts. At the time, I voted Jared Rivers and many scoffed at the thought. Well all of Green, Davey in particular have had average times this year and Moloney is the quintessential Jeckyl & Hyde of 2011. Grimes has been MIA and Jones has been ok on occassions (like last night).

If we're looking at the current LG as a whole and leading by example, I have no doubt that Rivers has been the most consistent performer in doing his job for the team, week in, week out in 2011. He is probably the nonchalant (cool, unmoved) defender type. Admittedly had a difficult day at the office against Collingwood on QB'day, but otherwise unassuming and in control generally.

If the club is not hell bent in a total re-vamp of a LG shake-up which would see the current LG replaced with say the likes of Trengove, Watts, Grimes, Frawley, McKenzie, Scully and/or Garland - I would surround these young leaders with Rivers as skipper for 2012.

If you get a change watch Viney's press conference, it explains why Green had the vest, the club was concerned he wouldn't get through a full game. Thank god because he also mentioned that if Green wasn't the Sub Sylvia would have been.

This reason was also stated at a pre-game function. If that is the case would they have not considered the risk we may get an early injury and therefore you are bringing on a player who you are unsure will get through the game. I dont believe that to be the actual reason.

Guest Gareth Keenan

This reason was also stated at a pre-game function. If that is the case would they have not considered the risk we may get an early injury and therefore you are bringing on a player who you are unsure will get through the game. I dont believe that to be the actual reason.

Agree. I thought it was a pretty feeble attempt by Schwab to explain away the decision.

There's more to it, but I don't think we needed to hear it from Schwab's mouth to know it.

As an aside, notice how he shut down the bloke at the end asking why we keep players like Clint Bartram in the team?

I thought it was pretty damn funny. Just ignored him point blank and moved onto someone who had a real question.

I'm starting to think Col Sylvia...

Maybe I'm still giddy from that hanger in the goal square.

Maybe you are giddy from the thump Sylvia gave off that got him reported.

A dumb act at a crtical stage in the game that defies leadership.

However it should be noted that he did reverse his fortunes with a better 2nd half. But it does not excuse the brain fade.

I really don't think that it would be fair to sack Greeny after just one year at the helm.

To me, he really does try to hard to do "what is expected" of him, on and off the field, but doesn't do it successfully.

Maybe he is just settling into it?

He stood up against Essendon, and kicked a goal as soon as he came onto the ground yesterday. Unfortunately he missed his next two (crucial shots), which I think reflects his year. Doing his best to be who he is meant to be, but just coming up short.

Keep him there for one more year, and see what happens. He bleeds too much for the club to not be given at least that, and it's probably all he has left in him anyway.

Hope you believe when I say I am not having a go at you.

But this is what is wrong at the MFC, "Doing his best to be who he is meant to be"

Does not cut it.

We accept medicority too often at Melbourne.

Green was all Australian last year, it may be coincidence but since he got the job his form has been poor.

If he was not the captain he would have been at Casey weeks ago.

He seems a nice guy but that is not enough.

He is a poor captain in poor form in a side that will most likely finish in the bottom four.

Those are the facts.

One more year is not an option.

Out for someone who (a) deserves their spot in the team and ( b )someone who can inspire the team.

If he is lucky his form will improve in 2012 and he will get a game.

Right now he does not deserve one.

Edited by old dee

Green wasn't all australian last year old dee, he did make the initial squad though.

On fox footy show after the bounce last night they did highlight footage of when green came on and kicked a goal, he made a very obvious and pointed gesture of shaking his fist vigorously toward the coaches box. Think he made his feelings of being the sub quite clear

Clearly Grant Thomas as coach then and his belief in sharing the captaincy around year to year wasn't an acceptable practice....

In my opinion, captaincy is very important. Just because a bloke has been in the seat for one year, doesn't automatically guarantee two years, or three... .

Last year when after Junior was no longer on the list, many here voted Green as captain. And Moloney wasn't far behind, with Davey thereabouts. At the time, I voted Jared Rivers and many scoffed at the thought. Well all of Green, Davey in particular have had average times this year and Moloney is the quintessential Jeckyl & Hyde of 2011. Grimes has been MIA and Jones has been ok on occassions (like last night).

If we're looking at the current LG as a whole and leading by example, I have no doubt that Rivers has been the most consistent performer in doing his job for the team, week in, week out in 2011. He is probably the nonchalant (cool, unmoved) defender type. Admittedly had a difficult day at the office against Collingwood on QB'day, but otherwise unassuming and in control generally.

If the club is not hell bent in a total re-vamp of a LG shake-up which would see the current LG replaced with say the likes of Trengove, Watts, Grimes, Frawley, McKenzie, Scully and/or Garland - I would surround these young leaders with Rivers as skipper for 2012.

Great minds HT. I'm with you 100% on that one.

..then failed to make an impact on the game after that.

Haha too true! I didnt say he redeemed himself on one kick alone.

His first set shot miss in that last quarter has happened far too often this year for someone who used to be a dead-eyed dick. The second shot was quite a tough one so can be excused.

The problem with Green is he clearly does not have the pace to go up onto the wing/midfield/half back for as long a period as he has been able to do in the past, he seems to have lost that half a step that players quite often do in their twilight years. Hence he will be limited most likely to playing deep forward, which can be starvation corner when our midfield is (frequently) getting belted in the clearances.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Green wasn't all australian last year old dee, he did make the initial squad though.

On fox footy show after the bounce last night they did highlight footage of when green came on and kicked a goal, he made a very obvious and pointed gesture of shaking his fist vigorously toward the coaches box. Think he made his feelings of being the sub quite clear

You are kidding!

At the coaches box? Or the members (ie. the crowd) that were in the same direction?

But go on, continue believing everything you're told by the footy "experts".