• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lyon The Anonymous

Demon SeaMan

This is not a pot at the champ, stalwart, skipper of our very famous esteemed club , aside from this weeks events

But I am really concerned that he is indiscriminately damaging the situation more than he should. Here are my thoughts

yes he's in the media and needs to comment, divulge, criticize, scrutinize any footy club including MFC. Tough position he's in

yes he's a great mate of our president and confidante in some respects to any situation to do with MFC before and during Jimmys illness

Yes he has a great footy mind and his personality around the club would be invaluable to all concerned/ his tyres now being fully pumped

but Yes he has a conflict of interest if he manages to divulge any of the above or even state no comment for this this & this reason about MFC activities from hereon out and therefore it remains unjustified for him to get involved unless he gets on the board or in an official capacity

I really hate to say this but in my opinion G LYON should stay the HELL away if he knows what's good for his fellow Deeman

He can still do sportsmans nights, give inspirational speeches and present awards to MFC members, players and all else related

but Yes he has a conflict of interest if he manages to divulge any of the above or even state no comment for this this & this reason about MFC activities from hereon out and therefore it remains unjustified for him to get involved unless he gets on the board or in an official capacity

I really hate to say this but in my opinion G LYON should stay the HELL away if he knows what's good for his fellow Deeman

He can still do sportsmans nights, give inspirational speeches and present awards to MFC members, players and all else related

Jason Dunstall is footy director at hawthorn, and he has a similar, high profile media role as Lyon. Seems to work for them.

Jimmy needs Garry....That is it.

Mate in all cases above I agree

Lyons Jimmys confidante and just remains that way

Its damaging he gets involved further than that

It's officially unofficial in other words

Mate in all cases above I agree

Lyons Jimmys confidante and just remains that way

Its damaging he gets involved further than that

It's officially unofficial in other words

Jim does not have the strength to do what he knows must be done...He knows Garry will do it.

We must let it happen...Too much Sh!te has gone down.

Garry is a fresh voice and past captain.

Guest Thomo

This is not a pot at the champ, stalwart, skipper of our very famous esteemed club , aside from this weeks events

But I am really concerned that he is indiscriminately damaging the situation more than he should. Here are my thoughts

yes he's in the media and needs to comment, divulge, criticize, scrutinize any footy club including MFC. Tough position he's in

yes he's a great mate of our president and confidante in some respects to any situation to do with MFC before and during Jimmys illness

Yes he has a great footy mind and his personality around the club would be invaluable to all concerned/ his tyres now being fully pumped

100% agree.

Garry Lyon wants the best of both worlds. He wants to officially stay independent to keep the money rolling in from Chanel Nine, but he wants to pull the strings from behind the curtain.

After the loss he got on radio and threw a hand grenade saying that he was going to call Jimmy and tell him to sort it out. Instead of stepping up and taking a position of responsibly, he said that he was going to call the cancer stricken president who is fighting for his life and put added pressure on him to take action.

Lyon may be an ex-champion of the club, but unless he is officially involved in the running of the club he should not be adding more pressure to Stynes during the week.

Lyon either needs to take a position of responsibility within the club like Stynes, or stay as a media commentator like Schwarz. Taking pot shots and pulling strings from safety is weak.

Jason Dunstall is footy director at hawthorn, and he has a similar, high profile media role as Lyon. Seems to work for them.

Dunstall formally committed to the board, and became publically responsible for decisions, and was held accountable for his decisions by the members. He didn't snipe and pull strings from the side. He put his career and reputation on the line and was willing to face any consequences. Lyon has not been willing to do this.

If Garry does not want to risk the livelihood of himself and his family that is fine, but either get involved or stay out. Don’t take the weak option.

Jimmy needs Garry....That is it.

Yes he does, but he doesn't need someone to be putting pressure on him and trying to influence him without taking responsibility.

Garry is looking after himself.

Rubbish...He is stepping up to help a mate....and all of us.

Garry has made it clear he doesn't want to be inside the club full time...it's a huge job.

But he is going to sort this stuff out. Factions will be broken and people will talk again.

Let him be Jimmy's voice and Fist (if need be).

Guest Thomo

Rubbish...He is stepping up to help a mate....and all of us.

Garry has made it clear he doesn't want to be inside the club full time...it's a huge job.

But he is going to sort this stuff out. Factions will be broken and people will talk again.

Let him be Jimmy's voice and Fist (if need be).

If he had of got on radio and said "there are issues at Melbourne and Jimmy should not have to deal with this so I am going to step up because he shouldn't have to", that would be helping a mate.

Instead he threw a hand grenade and left Jimmy to face the media on Monday, while he tried to look like a martyr on his Monday night TV show. Weak.

Instead he threw a hand grenade and left Jimmy to face the media on Monday, while he tried to look like a martyr on his Monday night TV show. Weak.

Glad I'm not the only one to have seen it that way. Lyon has got some work to do in the next six months to help the club out, not [censored] on in his tv shows.

Yes as mentioned initially he is indiscriminately hurting the club and he needs to make a decision. Officialdom at the club or a discrete confidante to Jimmy who in my opinion should now take an immediate back step fr healths sake and hand the reigns to Mclardy which from personally knowing Mclardy is successful at what he does administratively and has the immediate support around him. Ex potential clubman/ businessman that could come into the fray

Grinter

B Wilson Wtf is he

Icke

Ant McDonald

interested to hear of others from deeland Crüe

Kennett just slammed Garry's involvement on SEN.

Reckons he needs to commit for longer, that he should take up a real position or no position and that it will take him much more than a 3 month commitment to have any impact.

Otherwise he should stay out as it'll be more damaging.

Anything that upsets/worries Jeffrey has to be a good thing surely! :lol:

Garry Lyon wants the best of both worlds. He wants to officially stay independent to keep the money rolling in from Chanel Nine, but he wants to pull the strings from behind the curtain.

Lyon either needs to take a position of responsibility within the club like Stynes, or stay as a media commentator like Schwarz. Taking pot shots and pulling strings from safety is weak.

Some interesting points.

I have no issue with McGuire and Dunstall who work in the media and have taken formal roles within their Club with the responsibility and accountability that goes with it.

I note that Lyon does not like the Club politics. Well, I would have thought Lyon has been pulling strings as a "confidante" or a "mate" and was certainly up to his arm pits in it. While its his right to give opinion in the media, some of his public criticism of people at the Club gives his clandestine role at the club is disturbing.He has hardly been indepedent over the past 2 years.

Good luck to Lyon in the short term as filling the void and addressing the issues. However once that is completed it should be a case that if he is "in" he takes a formal position or not then he is out. If he is in I think he could make a useful contribution as there is a lack of football experience on the Board.

Says he doesn't want to take a formal role.

Has said that forever.

Spends most of his time this week positioning that he is still not taking a formal role just helping out an old mate.

What do you do if he decides to offer himself up for a formal position at the culmination of this sh*tstorm?

Which GL are you talking to?

Hopefully he can assist in the here and now.......forget about him long term

Kennett just slammed Garry's involvement on SEN.

For the first time probably ever, I completely agree with Kennett's comments.

We don't need a knight on a white horse to sweep in and out.

You either want to stick around in a formal role, or don't get involved at all. Nothing will change with Jim's health in 6 weeks (unfortunately), so Gary will want to quite quickly find a very very good replacement for himself or else Jim will just want to come back to take the reins.

It's all just too easy for Lyon.

Are you serious?

Lyon is coming in to fill a role BECAUSE THERE IS NOBODY ELSE TO DO IT.

He'll be there shortly until he can find someone to assume the role.

I think it's beyond clear that he doesn't want to be there, but he's doing it to save Jimmy from having to do it.

He's not doing it for the glory.

FFS...

I think this is a good thing for the club.

If nothing else, Garry is a straight shooter, and will cut through the BS to the crux of the issues.

I trust he has a enough common sense, and the best interests of the club at heart to do the right thing.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/120190/default.aspx

Garry Lyon has been criticized on this very website for years FOR NOT BEING INVOLVED..Now that he has made a commitment to go in Head first and Do something to try and sort things out...He is still being criticized!!

Make up your mind people...He has stepped up.

IMO he will be involved for a lot longer than 6 months....but who knows that other than Garry really.

If he had declined Jim's plea, how would people react in here???

Get behind G Lyon at least until we see some agenda.

Garry Lyon has been criticized on this very website for years FOR NOT BEING INVOLVED..Now that he has made a commitment to go in Head first and Do something to try and sort things out...He is still being criticized!!

IMO he will be involved for a lot longer than 6 months....but who knows that other than Garry really.

Yes I agree go for it Gary

It is odd isnt it..lol. Hes damned either way.

We can all only do what we can do.

Appreciate any and all efforts Garry...as Im sure Jim does to.

It is odd isnt it..lol. Hes damned either way.

We can all only do what we can do.

Appreciate any and all efforts Garry...as Im sure Jim does to.

I can understand people outside or in the media for having a weak crack at him, But i can't Deal with it on Demonland.

Jim is in big trouble health wise now, and Garry has stepped up to take over, because Stynesy asked him.

What Garry said last saturday and again on monday night was not negative at all. He was saying things we didn't want to hear, but we knew them to be right.

Same with the Ox....

Don't think....DO.

100% agree.

After the loss he got on radio and threw a hand grenade saying that he was going to call Jimmy and tell him to sort it out. Instead of stepping up and taking a position of responsibly, he said that he was going to call the cancer stricken president who is fighting for his life and put added pressure on him to take action.

Lyon may be an ex-champion of the club, but unless he is officially involved in the running of the club he should not be adding more pressure to Stynes during the week.

Dunstall formally committed to the board, and became publically responsible for decisions, and was held accountable for his decisions by the members. He didn't snipe and pull strings from the side. He put his career and reputation on the line and was willing to face any consequences. Lyon has not been willing to do this.

If Garry does not want to risk the livelihood of himself and his family that is fine, but either get involved or stay out. Don’t take the weak option.

Yes he does, but he doesn't need someone to be putting pressure on him and trying to influence him without taking responsibility.

What a load of 'tish!

Garry did not throw a hand grenade & say he was going to tell Jim to sort it out - he said he would Jim - thats all. He then added that results like this can really kill a club. He alos said that the club had to stay strong and not inpload. How is that throwing hand grenandes? On Monday night he said he had not spoken to Jim much of late about the club & was surprised to hear see what was going on. Remember, this is a man who had just watched the game on TV while comentating on another game - he was gutted (like we all were). Garry isnt weak or taking pot shots - he tells it like he sees it - thats his job!

I just wish people would give him a break & get behind him!!

Guest Thomo

I can understand people outside or in the media for having a weak crack at him, But i can't Deal with it on Demonland.

Jim is in big trouble health wise now, and Garry has stepped up to take over, because Stynesy asked him.

What Garry said last saturday and again on monday night was not negative at all. He was saying things we didn't want to hear, but we knew them to be right.

Same with the Ox....

Don't think....DO.

Don’t make out that Lyon is some sort of Saint. We was asked earlier in the year by Jimmy to help out and he didn't want to due to his other commitments, and that's fair enough it is his choice. So Jimmy had to take on more work at the club.,

After Saturdays game, Lyon got on radio and said that he would be speaking to Jimmy this week to sort it out. The next day it was all over the papers that Lyon would be approaching Jimmy to act. Lyon could have said that the club needs to sort things out, or he will speak with the club, or that he will get involved to sort it out, but instead he put the responsibility on Stynes, and Stynes then had no other choice but to directly get involved and face the media. That's not the action of a bloke looking out for a mate. He threw Jimmy under a bus on Saturday and now he is trying to clean up his own mess.