Lyon The Anonymous

Demon SeaMan

This is not a pot at the champ, stalwart, skipper of our very famous esteemed club , aside from this weeks events

But I am really concerned that he is indiscriminately damaging the situation more than he should. Here are my thoughts

yes he's in the media and needs to comment, divulge, criticize, scrutinize any footy club including MFC. Tough position he's in

yes he's a great mate of our president and confidante in some respects to any situation to do with MFC before and during Jimmys illness

Yes he has a great footy mind and his personality around the club would be invaluable to all concerned/ his tyres now being fully pumped

but Yes he has a conflict of interest if he manages to divulge any of the above or even state no comment for this this & this reason about MFC activities from hereon out and therefore it remains unjustified for him to get involved unless he gets on the board or in an official capacity

I really hate to say this but in my opinion G LYON should stay the HELL away if he knows what's good for his fellow Deeman

He can still do sportsmans nights, give inspirational speeches and present awards to MFC members, players and all else related

I think G Lyon will be a great benefit to our club especially at this time. With his knowledge of the game and being an icon of the MFC his role to act as a conduit between the front office and football department will be fantastic, he's cuts to the chase and doesn't mince his words when delivering a message. Won't love to see him put rocket up the teams keyhole before the game on saturday and let know what it truly means to play for the red and blue!

Go Dees!

we've all wanted Gary to contribute in a meaningful way for some time - hell he was part of the committee that appointed Bails! (in fact, could be the ONLY public contribution he has made to the Football Club structure)

But you just can't expect to say "never wanna be on the board/ i hate the politics" on one hand - but then swan in as De Facto President, calling shots at the club, on the other!

He obviously has a massive sway at the club even now (he has the Prez's ear!), so how does it help the Football Department who slavishly work on a strategy which has a long term view on the club, when Gary just rocks in on a Saturday and throws his $0.02 cents in! What sort of weight should be given to his opinion when he himself keeps himself at arms length from the day-to-day running of the place?

He's either all in (on board) and involved, or all out... how can he say he wants out of the politics when he's already a part of it!

Yes as mentioned initially he is indiscriminately hurting the club and he needs to make a decision. Officialdom at the club or a discrete confidante to Jimmy who in my opinion should now take an immediate back step fr healths sake and hand the reigns to Mclardy which from personally knowing Mclardy is successful at what he does administratively and has the immediate support around him. Ex potential clubman/ businessman that could come into the fray

Grinter

B Wilson Wtf is he

Icke

Ant McDonald

interested to hear of others from deeland Crüe

I'd love to see Rod Grinter as an assistant. His nickname wasn't 'Balls' for nothing!

Gary and Ox are both Demon champs that cop unfair comments in this asylum , They both have the club at heart and i am convinced we have a good mix of people from that late 80's era to take the club back to that period of success or better .Bailey ,whilst professional ,seemed a little too concerned with stats and outdated strategy to inspire fans and players .I am confident Viney will get some passion back into our game just from remembering his bull at a gate style of play . There has been too much talk of contracts and draft rules about this club .The fact are we have an obscenely talented ,extremely raw list of of talented dreamers that think they have the ability of Scully but wont make the same extreme commitment to the club or the game .Scully staying and the right coach will get this club looking extremely good for next year .I hope the players learn to respect , . the jumper and the game above cash and politics and talk of other peoples commitment besides their own . Compare what we paid OX and Gary back then under Northey to what we pay the attempted coup makers we call a leadership group .I exclude Maloney from Saturday because he was ill and shouldn't have played but he probably wouldn't pull out with broken legs .Aside from Maloney , the on-field leadership is now in the hands of Frawley and and some 20 year old kids . Old boys club or not ,the people who care about the club are coming through at the right time .If we cant get the right coach then pay Lyon enough to leave the media and coach .I'm happy to have Lyon ,CC ,Viney ,Flower and Stynes involved .Ox would be a top forward coach as well .

I must admit to being a little mystified about Garry's role, and how it relates to the role of Chris Connolly. I guess I've always been just a little vague on what Chris actually does at the Club, and this new (albeit temporary) role of Garry Lyon only adds to the mystery of what Chris Connolly is supposed to be doing. Chris also seems to have become the "invisible man" through the events of the last few days.

Can anyone enlighten me? Or, is it just another part of all that's been going on in the Club that is rather baffling?

Don't make out that Lyon is some sort of Saint. We was asked earlier in the year by Jimmy to help out and he didn't want to due to his other commitments, and that's fair enough it is his choice. So Jimmy had to take on more work at the club.,

After Saturdays game, Lyon got on radio and said that he would be speaking to Jimmy this week to sort it out. The next day it was all over the papers that Lyon would be approaching Jimmy to act. Lyon could have said that the club needs to sort things out, or he will speak with the club, or that he will get involved to sort it out, but instead he put the responsibility on Stynes, and Stynes then had no other choice but to directly get involved and face the media. That's not the action of a bloke looking out for a mate. He threw Jimmy under a bus on Saturday and now he is trying to clean up his own mess.

Garry is no Saint. He makes that very clear. He is helping out his mate, who he considers "Like a Brother".

That same mate is our ailing president.

What would you do Thomo?

If Garry refused to be involved he would also be attacked.

Classic Rock & a Hard Place...

I must admit to being a little mystified about Garry's role, and how it relates to the role of Chris Connolly. I guess I've always been just a little vague on what Chris actually does at the Club, and this new (albeit temporary) role of Garry Lyon only adds to the mystery of what Chris Connolly is supposed to be doing. Chris also seems to have become the "invisible man" through the events of the last few days.

Can anyone enlighten me? Or, is it just another part of all that's been going on in the Club that is rather baffling?

The Football Director is supposed to be the conduit between the Board and the FD - Leoncelli was the person in this position up until 2011.

Connolly's role is ambiguous but is more day-to-day than the Football Director.

The Football Director is supposed to be the conduit between the Board and the FD - Leoncelli was the person in this position up until 2011.

Connolly's role is ambiguous but is more day-to-day than the Football Director.

It appears the first thing required is a restructure and position description!

I wonder what was in the Andrews report and whether any recomendations have been put in place

So who is reporting to the board on FD matters ? Was it Jim? Is it now G Lyon?

No wonder communications have broken down. I hope in the very least G Lyon can determine the problems and assit in teir solution

Depends - Neil Balme performs the same role at Geelong.

Whilst I don't know exactly what that entails, there is a clear need for someone to perform the role.

He's like a cheap consultant who knows footy and can be expected to be loyal.

I don't really have a problem with it being a short term thing.

We need someone in that position - we have no-one putting their hand up except for someone who doesn't want to do it long term.

I'm certain that there is a past plaeyr out there that will be appointed footy director after Lyon departs.

So if Lyon can help:

- unite the club

- get a coach

- deliver some home truths

- get a football director

...then I am fine with it being a short-term thing.

Guest Thomo

What's Anthony McDonald doing these days?

Probably sitting around with Alex wondering how the hell their dud little brother turned into a champion.

Player Management with the one of the major player management agencies.

Isn't that Alex?

I though Anthony was a lawyer, from my fuzzy recollection of course.

If he's a player manager, I'd assume that counts him out as it's a conflict of interest.

Obviously.

Edited by e25

Isn't that Alex?

I though Anthony was a lawyer, from my fuzzy recollection of course.

If he's a player manager, I'd assume that counts him out as it's a conflict of interest.

Obviously.

I thought Anthony had some position at the club and also is involved in finance broking.

I thought Anthony had some position at the club and also is involved in finance broking.

That definitely rings more of a bell.

I also thought he had some current involvement with the club.

For some reason he's just the name that jumped out at me.