Key Forward Wanted.

Deano74

18 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Time to get a King perhaps....

St Kilda forward Max King’s career is being wasted.

The towering 202-centimetre key forward, selected at No.4 in the 2018 national draft, should be entering the prime of his career, dominating big games in front of appreciative crowds and emerging as one of the AFL’s premier spearheads.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/forget-the-contract-max-king-must-leave-the-saints-20240529-p5jhjn.html

I do think Cornes is a bit of a peanut but he's right here IMO -

• Sydney tried to lure Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton with a reported $12 million contract across 10 seasons. King is a superior player to Naughton and 12 months younger.
  • King would not be short of suitors in Victoria – think Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon and Geelong, who should be looking for a replacement for their club games record holder, Tom Hawkins

Wonder what the trade and wage would need to be to get him over the line? We have gone heavy with young forwards recently so need to be cautious how much is traded away i guess. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, roy11 said:

• Sydney tried to lure Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton with a reported $12 million contract across 10 seasons. King is a superior player to Naughton and 12 months younger.
  • King would not be short of suitors in Victoria – think Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon and Geelong, who should be looking for a replacement for their club games record holder, Tom Hawkins

Wonder what the trade and wage would need to be to get him over the line? We have gone heavy with young forwards recently so need to be cautious how much is traded away i guess. 

North of 800k a year probably.

How much draft picks are we willing to spend?

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2024 at 07:56, spirit of norm smith said:

The search continues in 2024

Since Neita retired in 2008, Dees have tried to find the TARGET key forward   The Kernahan, Lynch, Pavlich, Lloyd, Sumich, Modra, Brown, Riewoldt , Dunstall, Carey type of forward to kick 5 or more and on occasion save the day.  It’s the hardest task to do. Rare yes. Every club is trying and few succeed.

Perhaps only Darling, Curnow, Daniher , Hawkins, Franklin, Kennedy, Dixon, Walker, Cameron, Lynch would be successes of the last decade   

We’ve traded and drafted a few over the past 15 years 

Liam Jurrah

Jack Watts

Mitch Clark

Lucas Cook

Chris Dawes

Jesse Hogan❤️

Sam Weideman 

Liam Hulett

Ben Brown 🏆

Jacob Van Rooyen*🤞

Matthew Jefferson*🤞

Josh Schache 

Tom Fullarton

and tried to remodel a few defenders into forwards like Tom McDonald 🏆 and Harry Petty.  

Some were short term successes then for a variety of reasons- such as injury, personal circumstances - didn’t quite make it    

The search continues … 

To be fair, Jesse Hogan would work still. But other than that one wonders.

Why do we recruit players like the last two on your list and now never play them?

Throw in Grundy and you have to wonder what we were thinking at times?

But, I give Jvr a definite pass.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

To be fair, Jesse Hogan would work still. But other than that one wonders.

Why do we recruit players like the last two on your list and now never play them?

Throw in Grundy and you have to wonder what we were thinking at times?

But, I give Jvr a definite pass.

I am ready to go,wont cost much

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

North of 800k a year probably.

How much draft picks are we willing to spend?

he's already on that, so to sign him up given the expected salary cap rise i think you can safely assume over $1m on a renegotiated deal

aints would rightly demand two first round picks, i'd expect

personally i'm not a huge fan of him - he seems to have one thing he does really well, which is to be tall

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I was heading into the lifts at work yesterday, a colleague and member of the St Kilda cheer squad yelled out to me that we're into Tim Membrey. She had absolutely no good reason to go out of her way to tell me this so i'll take it as some kind of truth. 

Either we've been seduced from the Sandringham stat sheet from last week or this is a carry over from a few years back when a poster was adamant we tried to trade for him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, No. 31 said:

The Dees should most definitely trying to lure one of the King brothers. It could be like Lynch to Richmond and result in another Flag IMHO.

I think it may be too late .

By the time we fix our fwd line I reckon the window will be closed

We won a flag and then wandered to second chances two years in a row.

We may get a third as the comp is so even but I can't see us doing it four years in a row.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think it may be too late .

By the time we fix our fwd line I reckon the window will be closed

We won a flag and then wandered to second chances two years in a row.

We may get a third as the comp is so even but I can't see us doing it four years in a row.

it took geelong 11 years to get back to a premiership, from 2011 to 2022

the whole time they were there, thereabouts, including a grand final appearance in 2020

i would love another one sooner rather than later, but that 'geelong model' of constantly competing seems to be what we want to be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, whatwhat say what said:

it took geelong 11 years to get back to a premiership, from 2011 to 2022

the whole time they were there, thereabouts, including a grand final appearance in 2020

i would love another one sooner rather than later, but that 'geelong model' of constantly competing seems to be what we want to be

Wouldn't it be better to take the Hawthorn or Richmond approach? maximize a great list, win as many flags as possible. Then rebuild for the next iteration, however long it takes (5 or 6 years).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Wouldn't it be better to take the Hawthorn or Richmond approach? maximize a great list, win as many flags as possible. Then rebuild for the next iteration, however long it takes (5 or 6 years).

not according to our football club, clearly

i personally think they are maximising the opportunities now while still prepping for the future

also, hawks and tigs both tried to rebuild on the fly, as geelong did throughout the 2010s, and they have failed miserably and bottomed out / look set to bottom out

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2

On 30/05/2024 at 16:07, Diamond_Jim said:

Time to get a King perhaps....

St Kilda forward Max King’s career is being wasted.

The towering 202-centimetre key forward, selected at No.4 in the 2018 national draft, should be entering the prime of his career, dominating big games in front of appreciative crowds and emerging as one of the AFL’s premier spearheads.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/forget-the-contract-max-king-must-leave-the-saints-20240529-p5jhjn.html

I thought on Sunday how dispiriting it must be to play in front of a cheer squad of maybe a dozen scattered fans.   
I am sure WCW would give him a warm welcome.  

• Thanks 1

The interesting thing about this thread was that we did end up going out and spending big on a key forward that year, who notched up something like 30 goals and 50 marks in his first ten games with us.

We were also on the verge of assembling a truly devastating forward line, until it all fell apart for various reasons and we've struggled to patch one together for various reasons ever since. 

• Thanks 1

Tom lynch would surely be available, he would be a nice upgrade to Ben Brown / Petty he would give us a few years while we are still in the frame

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

19 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

When I was heading into the lifts at work yesterday, a colleague and member of the St Kilda cheer squad yelled out to me that we're into Tim Membrey. She had absolutely no good reason to go out of her way to tell me this so i'll take it as some kind of truth. 

Either we've been seduced from the Sandringham stat sheet from last week or this is a carry over from a few years back when a poster was adamant we tried to trade for him. 

He's much better depth thrn Schache. Even when he's played at AFL level this year he's hit the scoreboard still atleast.

• Like 2

JVR out. BBB fragile.  Schache not intense/good enough.  

Dees forward line v dockers 

Petty- defender tried as a forward 

Turner - defender tried as a forward 

McAdam - 29 year old injury riddled ex Crow 

Fritsch 👏👏️4x leading goalkicker as a 6’2 medium sized forward

• Like 1

23 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

We’ve traded and drafted a few over the past 15 years 

Liam Jurrah

Jack Watts

Mitch Clark

Lucas Cook

Mitch Clark.Should /could have been an absolute gun .Most gifted forward i have ever seen at the Dees save for the early Schwarta.Almost sabotaged his own career at 3 clubs .It is a crying shame that we only only got a glimpse of his ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/05/2024 at 10:56, roy11 said:

King is not necessarily a better prospect than Naughton. What is he better at?

Marking ?

Splitting Packs ?

Versatility ?

Accuracy ? 

Team Play? 

Really not much between them and Aaron can play back as a possible champion. 

But Naught’s  is not available in any case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garbo said:

Tom lynch would surely be available, he would be a nice upgrade to Ben Brown / Petty he would give us a few years while we are still in the frame

His body is also mostly cooked, if we are going to invest to recruit someone it should be a younger prospect.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

On 30/05/2024 at 16:24, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'd prefer to interpret this as meaning our kpf's will hit their straps in 2024 and 2025. 

How many games did Podsiadly win for Cats?, and when he went off in the GF Bartel was a match winner in 2011. Melksham if available is our Pod.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 58er said:

How many games did Podsiadly win for Cats?, and when he went off in the GF Bartel was a match winner in 2011. Melksham if available is our Pod.

Sorry 

22 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

NO not at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 58er said:

Sorry whoever wanted Yhe Pod this is a reply to you Can’t find your comment but this is my reply. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1