Key Forward Wanted.

Deano74

bring Fev in fo 2 years. Yes he has been a bit of a [censored] but he has never really done anything too bad. Give the bloke a break. As long as there is a clause that if he even looks silly hes gone.

Cant see the footy club doing it though.

I can't see the footy club doing it either. Thank god they are far too smart for that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What this post proves, there is a major lack of key forwards. Id love someone like Kurt Tippett but hes outter contract end of next year.

Jesse White might be worth looking at.

I've been looking around the competition for young key forwards and I think I might have found 2.

Firstly, this kid Jack Watts. Is in the right age bracket, is 196cm and runs 20m in 2.8 seconds. He's shown great improvement this season, will only get bigger and strong and could take the competition by storm.

Secondly, how about a young kid Lucas Cook. Only drafted last year hasn't played a game yet, but has shown some terrific signs at VFL for a stick thin KPP. 196cm, has a frame to put on muscle and is a very smart footballer. Knows how to hit a target and can take a mark.

As a bit of a smokey, how about we trade for a kid called JAck Fitzpatrick. He had glandular fever and injured in his first 2 season but should be over them by next year. Is 201cm key forward! Exactly what we need to develop. Is the right age bracket.

All 3 of these young guys will be peaking when we are coming top 4 in 2-3 years time, so perfect age bracket.

Imo, trading for these kids is wayyyyy better than continuously discussing the same old spuddish piles of poo like Tom Hawkins and Jesse White. And I'd also much rather talk about Watts, Cook and Fitzpatrick than speak about the most promising young key forwards from other teams that are under contract and the other club would never release them (Kurt Tippet and Josh Kennedy)

What would it take to get it done?

Guest Tom & Jerry

MFC won't be recruiting Fevola in any circumstances, nor should they.

The word is Bulldogs & Tigers have had people having a look at Fevola recently.

Aadam Maric says hello. :wacko:

He is the only option we have and is unproven at AFL against top opposition. He has yet to nail the position at MFC for good reasons even if you struggle to work them out. We should have seek to find worthy alternatives for the FP role.

But if he is at Casey, what is the cost of upgrading him into our senior rookie spot.

Doesn't really change his status at Casey. However, does allow you to upgrade him assuming he can put a full pre-season in put his head down and his bum up and give it his all for 2 years.

So what is a senior rookie spot worth ... in a year you dont have any players eligible for a veterans spot or its a hyper weak draft down the bottom end ... sorry I dont know ...but probably not a hell of a lot.

What is the alternative?

Cost isnt the issue. MFC have rightly made a decision that Fev is not worth the risk both on the field and off the field. I am not sure why people want Fev for 1 or 2 years. He wont around for a flag challenge years so he takes up the spot and opportunities of another player.

The word is Bulldogs & Tigers have had people having a look at Fevola recently.

They must have watched VFL on the ABC. What does "The word" mean? Nothing its just a rumour. Tigers really need Fev when they have Riewoldt. And they need someone to sop their player welfare budget after Cousins retired.

And they need someone to sop their player welfare budget after Cousins retired.

LOL...well, almost.

It seems to me under Bailey MFC has sought players who have both skill and character. Fev had (maybe still has) the former, but fails the latter.

Interesting posts throughout this thread, but one option that seems to be missed is the possibility of playing Stef Martin as KPF with Jamar and Gawn filling the ruck roles. I'm not sure it's the best idea, but I'm pretty sure it's better than recruiting Fev, Jesse White or any other unwanted player at another club.

Guest hangon007

Cost isnt the issue. MFC have rightly made a decision that Fev is not worth the risk both on the field and off the field. I am not sure why people want Fev for 1 or 2 years. He wont around for a flag challenge years so he takes up the spot and opportunities of another player.

I hear what you are saying. But this year the pickings look very slim down the bottom end.

Cant we make an "speculative", not necessarily a 100% football, decision from time to time ... cant we take a "risk" now and again ... its a rookie spot. Or does our conservative nature as a football club kick in.

I am not sure why people want Fev for 1 or 2 years. He wont around for a flag challenge years so he takes up the spot and opportunities of another player.

Not sure you can say that with such certainty. Football is a funny game ... if it was all so predictable from game to game we would all be laughing. Maybe just maybe, Fev could be the difference against 1-2 sides that converts us from just missing out on spot x ... into making the finals in position y.

Ok so he is a rookie spot on your list ... but what is the alternative?

I hear what you are saying. But this year the pickings look very slim down the bottom end.

Cant we make an "speculative", not necessarily a 100% football, decision from time to time ... cant we take a "risk" now and again ... its a rookie spot. Or does our conservative nature as a football club kick in.

Risks are OK we take them every time we draft anyone. You do your homework, you weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision.

We need to get games into kids, Fevola's presence will stifle this.

We won't be challenging for a flag next year or the year after. Fevola will more than likely not make it to our next flag tilt.

Fevola has a history of stuffing up after being given repeated chances.

Calculated risks are often worth taking, after calculating the above Fevola won't come to our club.

Interesting posts throughout this thread, but one option that seems to be missed is the possibility of playing Stef Martin as KPF with Jamar and Gawn filling the ruck roles. I'm not sure it's the best idea, but I'm pretty sure it's better than recruiting Fev, Jesse White or any other unwanted player at another club.

I posted this last evening, concurring with your thoughts:

Looks as if Cook may struggle to get a run this year - haven't actually seen him - is he anywhere near solid enough for FF at this stage?

Martin is gaining many more strings to his bow this year - he has moved on significantly from being a third tall defender who can pinch hit in the ruck, to a dependable back up ruck who now can take a grab up forward, can kick goals and is very good at ground level for a man of his size. I reckon, especially with the progression of Gawnius Maximus, that Martin could be groomed as the big athletic body up forward in the Dawes mould.

Edited by monoccular

Risks are OK we take them every time we draft anyone. You do your homework, you weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision.

We won't be challenging for a flag next year or the year after. Fevola will more than likely not make it to our next flag tilt.

Calculated risks are often worth taking, after calculating the above Fevola won't come to our club.

Agree and well said.

MFC has done so much hard work to get the list to where it is, that they dont need to take silly or unreasonable risks or punts on a proven malignant element with significant baggage who is in the twilight of his career.

And MFC conservative on recruiting??? You have to be kidding me. :blink:

I would have thought the work to assess, review and support the recruitment and development of Jurrah, Wonna and Davey has been out of left field and exemplary. I know a number of AFL who looked at Jurrah were too "conservative" to pursue the Walperi warrior.

In addition the ability to identify a rough diamond like Stefan Martin and bring him through has been first class. The same could be said for McKenzie, Nicholson and Evans.

In addition, the Club has negotiated superb trades for McLean and TJ in recent years.

The Club has proven its smart enough to do the research on left field opportunities, make the sensible calls and clearly not making ridiculous speculative punts. On that basis Fev wont be at MFC.

I've been looking around the competition for young key forwards and I think I might have found 2.

Firstly, this kid Jack Watts. Is in the right age bracket, is 196cm and runs 20m in 2.8 seconds. He's shown great improvement this season, will only get bigger and strong and could take the competition by storm.

Secondly, how about a young kid Lucas Cook. Only drafted last year hasn't played a game yet, but has shown some terrific signs at VFL for a stick thin KPP. 196cm, has a frame to put on muscle and is a very smart footballer. Knows how to hit a target and can take a mark.

As a bit of a smokey, how about we trade for a kid called JAck Fitzpatrick. He had glandular fever and injured in his first 2 season but should be over them by next year. Is 201cm key forward! Exactly what we need to develop. Is the right age bracket.

All 3 of these young guys will be peaking when we are coming top 4 in 2-3 years time, so perfect age bracket.

Imo, trading for these kids is wayyyyy better than continuously discussing the same old spuddish piles of poo like Tom Hawkins and Jesse White. And I'd also much rather talk about Watts, Cook and Fitzpatrick than speak about the most promising young key forwards from other teams that are under contract and the other club would never release them (Kurt Tippet and Josh Kennedy)

What would it take to get it done?

Im not doubting the talent we have on stock but as u said 2-3yrs. In the mean time it would be good to snag a guy whom would be around 22-25 age, played 50odd games and could make immediate impact.

There has been plenty of examples of good players moving clubs, so to rule that out is silly. As for players improving with new clubs, you only look at Brown moving from North to play in Collingwoods Flag last year. Put it this way if they are outer contract they can be got. Geez look at the Pies, they recruited Brown, Jolly, Ball and added Tarrant and Krackour, So why wait. Yes we have to give up something, but it wont be a Watts, it may be someone like Sylvia or Morton.

The emergence of Martin has moved the goalposts significantly.

We are no longer looking for a Hale-second-ruck-type but a legitimate forward who can kick multiple goals.

Narrows the field and the possibility of finding one.

Fevola is not going to be apart of a flag winning team. Read into that statement all the different angles.

I reiterate my point about Gawn - if he is to play semi-regularly in the next three years it will be as a FP.

So I say train him up!

Guest hangon007

Ultimately, I will support us what ever the outcome. However, at times I hate this ... "We won't be challenging for a flag next year or the year after." I under stand the principle of managing supporter expectations ... but I'm not sure its the right message.

"Fevola has a history of stuffing up after being given repeated chances." History does not guarantee it will happen in the future ... if it does surely we can say we went into this with our eyes wide open, we gave the bloke a chance because he is trying to deal with his issues. Its all right to make mistakes, we are only human after all.

Ultimately, I will support us what ever the outcome. However, at times I hate this ... "We won't be challenging for a flag next year or the year after." I under stand the principle of managing supporter expectations ... but I'm not sure its the right message.

Considering the stratospheric expectations that some people had at the beginning of this season, it is the right message.

We thought - we are the Sydney game of 2010.

Without qualifying that by saying that we lost the only proper leader at the club and a seasoned pro in Junior and Bruce, and we became younger, and less experienced for the 4th straight year.

We have a ways to go.

PS. That doesn't mean we won't play finals or win them in 2012 and 2013 but that we will face teams better than us in the finals.

Guest hangon007

Agree and well said.

MFC has done so much hard work to get the list to where it is, that they dont need to take silly or unreasonable risks or punts on a proven malignant element with significant baggage who is in the twilight of his career.

And MFC conservative on recruiting??? You have to be kidding me. :blink:

I would have thought the work to assess, review and support the recruitment and development of Jurrah, Wonna and Davey has been out of left field and exemplary. I know a number of AFL who looked at Jurrah were too "conservative" to pursue the Walperi warrior.

In addition the ability to identify a rough diamond like Stefan Martin and bring him through has been first class. The same could be said for McKenzie, Nicholson and Evans.

In addition, the Club has negotiated superb trades for McLean and TJ in recent years.

The Club has proven its smart enough to do the research on left field opportunities, make the sensible calls and clearly not making ridiculous speculative punts. On that basis Fev wont be at MFC.

I can accept all you say, However, this point "on a proven malignant element with significant baggage" is quite offensive.

Brendan has a mental health problem that manifests when he consumes alcohol .. he is dealing with that. Sadly, he has been used as a "scape goat" when he is past his used by date at some clubs. However, when fully fit & getting his assistance for his problem ... just maybe, just maybe there is life in the "old boy" yet.

PS I never said our recruiting was conservative ... but I do think many of our supporters have a conservative nature.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

Considering the stratospheric expectations that some people had at the beginning of this season, it is the right message.

We thought - we are the Sydney game of 2010.

Without qualifying that by saying that we lost the only proper leader at the club and a seasoned pro in Junior and Bruce, and we became younger, and less experienced for the 4th straight year.

We have a ways to go.

PS. That doesn't mean we won't play finals or win them in 2012 and 2013 but that we will face teams better than us in the finals.

Are these expectations shared & discussed with the players & coaching staff? Too me you are having 50 cents each way, you sound half pregnant. There is no each way betting in this game. You cant hold a team back & say oh this is our year in 20XX ... its rubbish.

When you put limits on your staff ... guess what. You loose the very ones that will make the difference.

When you loose the will to win, sorry but you loose the will to fight on under any circumstances as a football club.

These excuses wash both ways.

LOL...well, almost.

It seems to me under Bailey MFC has sought players who have both skill and character. Fev had (maybe still has) the former, but fails the latter.

The Key to this is one of the rucks, Jamar/Gawn) becoming a dominant power forward with Martin holding a tall utility role like Leigh Brown. It falls over if one of the 2 rucks don't play well.

If things go wrong, it hurts the teams chances.

I can accept all you say, However, this point "on a proven malignant element with significant baggage" is quite offensive.

If you find it offensive you are putting a slant on it to suit your purposes not mine. Fevola's past is on the public record. Spruce it as you will. And you can spare the "scape goat" issue. Fevola is where he is because of Fevola..fully responsible and accountable. It would be good if he does continue his rehabilitation. He needs to tap into the right areas of support for his issues. MFC is not an appropriate platform for either Fev or the Club.

Your conservative comment was about the Club taking a risk with a rookie not supporters who dont have a say in the selection of rookies..

Are these expectations shared & discussed with the players & coaching staff? Too me you are having 50 cents each way, you sound half pregnant. There is no each way betting in this game. You cant hold a team back & say oh this is our year in 20XX ... its rubbish.

When you put limits on your staff ... guess what. You loose the very ones that will make the difference.

When you loose the will to win, sorry but you loose the will to fight on under any circumstances as a football club.

These excuses wash both ways.

So you are saying we can win the flag in 2012 or 2013 and we should recruit Fevola. Or are you half-pregnant. Own an opinion man!

Guest hangon007

If you find it offensive you are putting a slant on it to suit your purposes not mine. Fevola's past is on the public record. Spruce it as you will. And you can spare the "scape goat" issue. Fevola is where he is because of Fevola..fully responsible and accountable. It would be good if he does continue his rehabilitation. He needs to tap into the right areas of support for his issues. MFC is not an appropriate platform for either Fev or the Club.

Your conservative comment was about the Club taking a risk with a rookie not supporters who dont have a say in the selection of rookies..

Ok ... I think we will just have to agree to disagree. But you should never forget, hope you never get sick ... especially with a disease as mis-understood as mental health.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-coach-dean-bailey-not-excited-about-brendan-fevolas-11-goal-haul-with-casey/story-e6frf9jf-1226097106260

I don't buy into the Age thing, Barry Hall is 34 I think and still going ok. So im basing on the fact that a Fev would be fit to play etc, he could play to 35. How old was Alister Lynch when Brisbane won their flags.

All that matters is he is fit and playing to team rules and playing well. Then shouldn't matter what age he is.

Funny that you say this and he quits two days later.

Guest hangon007

So you are saying we can win the flag in 2012 or 2013 and we should recruit Fevola. Or are you half-pregnant. Own an opinion man!

Mate I'm saying its not a message we need to sell to our supporters or our players ... oh we are 2-3 years away.

Ok things are tough today ... ahhhhh ... we are 2-3 years away ... well I can dodge that fight ... no big deal. No excuses thank-you.

Re FEV ... until somebody can come up with a better alternative that fits our needs and clearly demonstrate it ... I'm not closed to the idea.

Interesting people are prepared to not put forward an alternative ... no they want to articulate an argument based on he is not the right fit for us. Goes both ways mate.

We are damn good at talking the talk ... but we aint good at walking the walk.

RESPECT ... is something in football you must earn. Loyalty in football is something that doesn't last 10-15 years it last a life time.

I dont fight in the trench for my country ... I look death in the face with my mates.

This club is out of synchronisation some are living in a different era.

Edited by hangon007

Mate I'm saying its not a message we need to sell to our supporters or our players ... oh we are 2-3 years away.

Ok things are tough today ... ahhhhh ... we are 2-3 years away ... well I can dodge that fight ... no big deal.

Re FEV ... until somebody can come up with a better alternative that fits our needs and clearly demonstrate it ... I'm not closed to the idea.

Interesting people are prepared to to put forward an alternative ... no they want to articulate an argument based on he is not the right fit for us. Goes both ways mate.

We are damn good at talking the talk ... but we aint good at walking the walk.

RESPECT ... is something in football you must earn. Loyalty in football is something that doesn't last 10-15 years it last a life time.

I have no idea what you are talking about.. I suspect that i won't be the only one.

Clearly we won't be recruiting Fevola for the many compelling reasons that have been offered.

Guest hangon007

I have no idea what you are talking about.. I suspect that i won't be the only one

Bazinga. You have hit the nail on the head. :)