Key Forward Wanted.

Deano74

Guest hangon007

Clearly we won't be recruiting Fevola for the many compelling reasons that have been offered.

Clearly. Thanks for that. I accept the views of the many.

But you should never forget, hope you never get sick ... especially with a disease as mis-understood as mental health.

I never made any reference to a mental illness. It was your cheap self serving shot. And its ungracious to make a judgement about Fevola's mental state when you have no more knowledge about it than whats on the public record. As much publicised as Fevola's antics have been around alcohol, there have been many more where alcohol had not been involved.

I have no idea what you are talking about.. I suspect that i won't be the only one.

Clearly we won't be recruiting Fevola for the many compelling reasons that have been offered.

A bizarre rant at best.

Mate I'm saying its not a message we need to sell to our supporters or our players ... oh we are 2-3 years away.

Ok things are tough today ... ahhhhh ... we are 2-3 years away ... well I can dodge that fight ... no big deal. No excuses thank-you.

Re FEV ... until somebody can come up with a better alternative that fits our needs and clearly demonstrate it ... I'm not closed to the idea.

Interesting people are prepared to not put forward an alternative ... no they want to articulate an argument based on he is not the right fit for us. Goes both ways mate.

We are damn good at talking the talk ... but we aint good at walking the walk.

RESPECT ... is something in football you must earn. Loyalty in football is something that doesn't last 10-15 years it last a life time.

I dont fight in the trench for my country ... I look death in the face with my mates.

This club is out of synchronisation some are living in a different era.

You're special!

Its been talked about that we lack a big bloke to hold down a forward position. We tried to get Hale this year without luck.

Times right at the end of the year for us to snag a name from another side.

Has to be Big & Strong (eg. Brown Collingwood)

Why couldn't we try for Taylor Walker from Crows 194cm and 98kg hes a big bugger and would compliment Jurrah, Watts.

I think even Tom Hawkins would be a good target, Wasn't he in same era as Watts?

Anyway you get my drift, I think its one of our missing links.

Who should target ?

There are still many options in the club

I'm not overly confident that garland is going to get to the height we need for an assault on the top four (in a few years) I think he has plateaued. Then rivers is actually on borrowed time, 2 years 3 at the most.

Hence if we want to do something now. Martin CHB.

Gawn goal square and changing with Jamar.

We have Tom McDonald, Fitzpatrick and Cook all to try yet. So don't be to hasty with trading what we don't need.

Guest hangon007

You're special!

Thanks mate ... I know you dont mean it. But I will wear it as a badge of honour that I'm so "special" around here. :)

Jamar and Gawn Ruck and back up ruck Martin the key forward.

I'm with you on that - I can envisage, given Stef's amazing progress this year, his athleticism, ball handling and aggression,and his new found general confidence and goal kicking ability, him becoming a Dawes type strong big forward and a far better back up ruck man than Dawes. He also has experience and ability to take on a tall strong forward if needed.

(I could also by the way see Stef becoming a big ruck-rover type - he has the athleticism and he tank to do this).

This would allow us to let Gawnius Maximus continue his development as a ruck man backing up TMR.

Guest hangon007

I'm with you on that - I can envisage, given Stef's amazing progress this year, his athleticism, ball handling and aggression,and his new found general confidence and goal kicking ability, him becoming a Dawes type strong big forward and a far better back up ruck man than Dawes. He also has experience and ability to take on a tall strong forward if needed.

(I could also by the way see Stef becoming a big ruck-rover type - he has the athleticism and he tank to do this).

This would allow us to let Gawnius Maximus continue his development as a ruck man backing up TMR.

I'd be surprised If we could afford to use these tactics against the strong midfield players of the Hawks, or Blues,,, Cats maybe, but skilled stadium is narrow & with our inexperienced forwards, it may be difficult there. Against the Eagles @ etihad we may be able to try to stretch them down back,,, & following that game, I think it's worthwhile tactic for the Tigers, GoldCoast & Port games...

• 12 years later...

The search continues in 2024

Since Neita retired in 2008, Dees have tried to find the TARGET key forward   The Kernahan, Lynch, Pavlich, Lloyd, Sumich, Modra, Brown, Riewoldt , Dunstall, Carey type of forward to kick 5 or more and on occasion save the day.  It’s the hardest task to do. Rare yes. Every club is trying and few succeed.

Perhaps only Darling, Curnow, Daniher , Hawkins, Franklin, Kennedy, Dixon, Walker, Cameron, Lynch would be successes of the last decade   

We’ve traded and drafted a few over the past 15 years 

Liam Jurrah

Jack Watts

Mitch Clark

Lucas Cook

Chris Dawes

Jesse Hogan❤️

Sam Weideman 

Liam Hulett

Ben Brown 🏆

Jacob Van Rooyen*🤞

Matthew Jefferson*🤞

Josh Schache 

Tom Fullarton

and tried to remodel a few defenders into forwards like Tom McDonald 🏆 and Harry Petty.  

Some were short term successes then for a variety of reasons- such as injury, personal circumstances - didn’t quite make it    

The search continues … 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

The search continues in 2024

Since Neita retired in 2008, Dees have tried to find the TARGET key forward   The Kernahan, Lynch, Pavlich, Lloyd, Sumich, Modra, Brown, Riewoldt , Dunstall, Carey type of forward to kick 5 or more and on occasion save the day.  It’s the hardest task to do. Rare yes. Every club is trying and few succeed.

Perhaps only Darling, Curnow, Daniher , Hawkins, Franklin, Kennedy, Dixon, Walker, Cameron, Lynch would be successes of the last decade   

We’ve traded and drafted a few over the past 15 years 

Liam Jurrah

Jack Watts

Mitch Clark

Lucas Cook

Chris Dawes

Jesse Hogan❤️

Sam Weideman 

Liam Hulett

Ben Brown 🏆

Jacob Van Rooyen*🤞

Matthew Jefferson*🤞

Josh Schache 

Tom Fullarton

and tried to remodel a few defenders into forwards like Tom McDonald 🏆 and Harry Petty.  

Some were short term successes then for a variety of reasons- such as injury, personal circumstances - didn’t quite make it    

The search continues … 

Might be just me but i think we've only ourselves to blame.  For far too many years we've played a player-non specific style of attack.   Was all about the system ( rubbish as it was ) thar relied on the style of play more than the idea of being  player-centric. We therefore didnt look for the right types ar draft or look to throw $ at someone....as we had it 'covered' 

Well we don't.  That KEY , and key being the operative word , Forward just isnt on our books atm.   Not one one that actually works ( properly, reliably , effectively)

Possibly BBB was to be one.... but our forward craft torched him. In his day Watts was one....but we ( and by we....they....the ones out there ) ignored him. 

Petty looked like one for 5 mins...  but time's  up it seems. Tmac ...kinda....but he's playing out his golden days .

A good kpf often doesn't  hit his straps til around 24/25..  Youll not find one at draft ready to go.  Good ones get paid to stay..  good luck there.

Ive always thought outside the box....  Id be scouring for a Ponsiadly type.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Petty looked like one for 5 mins...  but time's  up it seems.

I was really hopeful that Petty could be the difference maker. But i had this little knawing thought in the back of my head that maybe he did well in those few games purely because opposition clubs and in particular defenders, hadn't put time into Petty (i.e research on how t play him as a forward). Hence, some could argue that as melbourne broadcast he would be our key forward, every club and defence has put the time into how to play him to win (like Howe when he was here, let him run and jump and he'd beat you every time, body him and he became impotent). So to me now the ball is in Petty/melbs court to teach him how to overcome whatever tactics/positioning the oppositions best defenders are using on him and if not then it's back to defense. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Deano would be proud/not proud that this thread cracked the 10 year mark.

The Bulldogs and their search for a key back, the Cats and their search for a ruckman, some clubs just struggle to address certain areas.

We don't need a worldbeater, just a contributor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wunders said:

I was really hopeful that Petty could be the difference maker. But i had this little knawing thought in the back of my head that maybe he did well in those few games purely because opposition clubs and in particular defenders, hadn't put time into Petty (i.e research on how t play him as a forward). Hence, some could argue that as melbourne broadcast he would be our key forward, every club and defence has put the time into how to play him to win (like Howe when he was here, let him run and jump and he'd beat you every time, body him and he became impotent). So to me now the ball is in Petty/melbs court to teach him how to overcome whatever tactics/positioning the oppositions best defenders are using on him and if not then it's back to defense. 

And then you look at the club and its forward coaching......

Just sayin' 

Something that often bemuses me is how is it that a good defender, and by any metric Petty is.... then finds it hard to not employ what they know about nullifying a forwsrd.... in becoming one !!  It's the same bloody coin at the end of the day. I do see the argument hovering that will say...it's about the delivery. I will give that some currency. It invariably,  imho, comes down to footy nouse. Good forwards just know how to be in space, lose their minders, use their bodies ( timing ) .  I guess some ARE better reading the play in defence . This seems to be Petty. I agree...either he plays down back...or for another team. He's not our forward arc solution.

Again... I'd be putting out smoke signals to our recruiters and scouts...... any big boys out there in the other leagues, kicking bags. He can be as rough around the edges as all get...but can he play, has he the rudiments  ??? Imo...a kpf doesn't need a tank....just be one ;) 

• Clap 2

59 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Pierce from Freo will eat Petty and spit him out.

All Petty needs to do is stop him marking it 

• Like 2

Surely the couches would rather Petty go back to defence than go to another club...is that what is likely to happen to him if he goes elsewhere to end up in defence again?  Is that his preference does anyone actually know?

• Thinking 2

Time to get a King perhaps....

St Kilda forward Max King’s career is being wasted.

The towering 202-centimetre key forward, selected at No.4 in the 2018 national draft, should be entering the prime of his career, dominating big games in front of appreciative crowds and emerging as one of the AFL’s premier spearheads.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/forget-the-contract-max-king-must-leave-the-saints-20240529-p5jhjn.html

• Like 3
  • Thinking 2

7 hours ago, beelzebub said:

A good kpf often doesn't  hit his straps til around 24/25..  Youll not find one at draft ready to go.  Good ones get paid to stay..  good luck there.

Ive always thought outside the box....  Id be scouring for a Ponsiadly type.

I'd prefer to interpret this as meaning our kpf's will hit their straps in 2024 and 2025. 

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1

On 18/07/2011 at 14:42, PaulRB said:

Given the MFC FD has had a year to check out Fev, if they went with him to fill the FF hole for a couple of years, I'd be happy that they have done the due dilligence required and know how to continue the dev of Cook and Fitzy with him in the team...

I’ve got nothing to say, Paul. I just like the idea of replying to a 13-year-old post 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’ve got nothing to say, Paul. I just like the idea of replying to a 13-year-old post 🥳

Yes ,  the 2011 solution from Paul was to recruit Fev , and then look to Lucas Cook and Jack Fitzpatrick as our key forwards… it did not age well 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes ,  the 2011 solution from Paul was to recruit Fev , and then look to Lucas Cook and Jack Fitzpatrick as our key forwards… it did not age well 

Desperate times my friend! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2