Tom Scully

Whack!!!!!!

I actually agree with a lot of what Mark Stevens says here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dees-neednt-fret-over-losing-scully/story-e6frf9jf-1226100018552

What still confounds me is why the greater wobblies are pushing for Tom anyway? It reeks of Sheedy and his desire to inflict damage on the Dees after being spurned for the coaching job. Why, for example didn't gws offer the huge bucks to a much higher credentialled player, did they all knock him back?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe M Stevens should tap Skulls phone as he obviously has no f*#!^N idea whats going on. Also i love how the club are standing behind Scully but if he sh%$s in their faces i will be very disappointed.

Scrutiny from who? Any more or any less than any other number 1 draft pick?

Interesting way to look at one of your own. Ahhh well each to their own.

Are you serious, what World do you live in?

BTW it may be news to you but if he leaves us he won't be one of our own any more. How will you view him then, if that's the case?

Guest hangon007

Definitely a different one to many, many around here .... but thats a badge of honour. B)

BTW it may be news to you but if he leaves us he won't be one of our own any more. How will you view him then, if that's the case?

I never disrepect any present or past players ... so I would back him tooooooo the hilt.

But thank-you for asking.

You do realise that he is still an MFC player right?

FFS people, calm down.

Yes, I'm aware he is still an MFC player, and rest assured there is complete calm here.

The sky won't fall in if he goes, and the article makes some very good points about where he is at and his relative importance at present.

It's tough on the kid that he is being put through the wringer at present, and certainly the tone of the article is a little harsh, but it probably highlights more the strange target Tom is for GWS, particularly as their marquee signing.

We've had debates and polls about whether he'll stay or go but I think it's time to have a poll to see who wants him to stay and who wants him to go.

I'd do it but I'm not sure how to do a poll on here.

I'll kick it off, I want him gone, purely for the disrespect he's show the MFC.

Guest The Tweed Pig

It's tough on the kid that he is being put through the wringer at present, and certainly the tone of the article is a little harsh, but it probably highlights more the strange target Tom is for GWS, particularly as their marquee signing.

No it's not. Haven't you read on here that it's only the supporters doing it tough? It's apparently no distraction to Tom, or the club, just the supporters.

Yeah, right.

Robbie, I suspect we're on the same page here - but I don't think the issue is simply as black and white of 'stay or go'.

I would like him to stay, but only on the basis that:

- he doesn't rip so much dough out of our cap that we compromise our future, resulting in the loss of other required players as a direct consequence of his contract terms, eg, Sylvia; and

- he puts an end to this pathetic saga immediately and abandons his selfish desire to 'sign in his own time', respects the club and the damage this saga is doing to it (which is firmly in his control), and signs now.

Given that I doubt that either of the above will occur, I am leaning to wanting him to tell the the MFC that he intends to accept the GWS offer and allow the Dees to re-sign our other important players (principally Sylvia) and to secure two first round draft picks as compensation.

I suspect we picked the wrong horse in Scully. But, if that ultimately proves to be the case, at least we did so in good faith. The potential lessons learnt - interrogate what actually motivates these kids to want to play AFL football. There must be a massive 'team component' to their motivation.

IMO it beggars belief that anyone (let alone a 20 year old without any tertiary qualifications) would wilfully not want to know the terms of a proposed employment offer of, say, $5-6 million over 5 years. That in itself smells very bad to me. Clearly I'm not the only one holding that view.

I have tried to stay out of this epic, but I have to say, the longer this has gone on, I have moved from "putting my hard earned" on Tom staying to being fairly convinced he is gone. Before I go any further, I accept that the scenario I raise can be nothing but speculation, but I believe it reasonable to put forward the premise in any event.

To state the obvious, AFL footy is a business and all clubs, out of necessity, have had to become more professional in the way they run their businesses. Of course, some do it better than others. That said, I would think the MFC would have been in the process of gauging Tom's inclinations, both informally, one on one and in more formal meetings. That would occur simply as a result of player management and welfare processes, In the locker room, it would be natural for his "mates" to talk to him about his prospects for 2012.

To me, the options for Tom are stark. He can accept the GWS offer, take the money, set himself up for life, but I would say his chances of footy success with a start up team are low at best, for the next 5 years. The Suns are far better placed in that regard in my view. If he takes the money and goes.....fair enough and good luck to him. Alternatively, he can commit to the MFC, the "mates" he currently plays with and be part of a footy side on the rise and hopefully to consistently play finals over the next 5-7 years. If he is inclined to choose the latter and I hope he does, then to me, there is no need to wait until the end of the season to announce that commitment. The delay in making his decision can only be a distraction to playing footy.

In short, the longer this goes on, the more it is likely that he will leave............... and I think the club already knows that. So be it, but as others have said on this topic, hopefully we are smart enough in negotiating compensation for Tom, that there will be a much brighter upside.

I admire your professionalism Tom, but surprise me and make the statement we would all like to hear. Unfortunately, I don't think he will.

Whack!!!!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dees-neednt-fret-over-losing-scully/story-e6frf9jf-1226100018552

I agree with EVERYTHING Mark Stevens says. Tom Scully's value to this club is wildly overrated. I'm pleased he has pointed out the poor kicking efficiency and lack of overhead ability. He has distinct abilities no doubt, but I find it amazing that he is being offered the kind of money we would expect for 'complete' players, of which he shown no signs of being. Jack's Watts and Trengove on the other hand...........

I think my post may have been deleted, but I did say I had a suspicion that TS would be dropped this week.

If indeed it is truly because of his knee, then he is not worth the gamble in my honest opinion. He has already missed a good proportion of this season due to the knee.

If it isn't the knee, then what else would you put it down too?

I agree with EVERYTHING Mark Stevens says. Tom Scully's value to this club is wildly overrated. I'm pleased he has pointed out the poor kicking efficiency and lack of overhead ability. He has distinct abilities no doubt, but I find it amazing that he is being offered the kind of money we would expect for 'complete' players, of which he shown no signs of being. Jack's Watts and Trengove on the other hand...........

Lot of truths in that article, but the kid didn't ask for all this hype. Still, he is in a pretty nice position to be in to be deciding between millions and millions. Good luck to him, whatever his choice may be.

I think my post may have been deleted, but I did say I had a suspicion that TS would be dropped this week.

If indeed it is truly because of his knee, then he is not worth the gamble in my honest opinion. He has already missed a good proportion of this season due to the knee.

If it isn't the knee, then what else would you put it down too?

There is no mention of which knee is keeping him out tomorrow, but if it is 'the' knee, then the club would be insane to offer him anything more than a 2 year contract.

Edited by QueenC
Moving quote

Lot of truths in that article, but the kid didn't ask for all this hype. Still, he is in a pretty nice position to be in to be deciding between millions and millions. Good luck to him, whatever his choice may be.

It's true, it's not his fault, but he will have to face up to the 'million dollar man' tag his whole career, and if he isn't good enough to live up to it, it will be destructive to himself AND to whichever club he is at.

Edited by QueenC
Moving Quote

Guest hangon007

Yes, I'm aware he is still an MFC player, and rest assured there is complete calm here.

The sky won't fall in if he goes, and the article makes some very good points about where he is at and his relative importance at present.

Are you implying this whole GWS saga might be a smoke screen & mirrors ploy by GWS or Velocity?

It's true that Scully hasn't asked for all the hype and attention, but only he can put a stop to it and he hasn't.

He could have made his decision known by now, spent a few days looking at contracts and working it out.

His stubborn attitude is the cause of all this media attention and I for one have stopped feeling sorry for him.

He has put himself in this limbo so he has to deal with the hype. Sadly the rest of us supporters and teammates and club officials have to go along for the ride too.

Whack!!!!!!

I agree with all of it. If I had a choice between GWS taking one of Scully, Trengove, Watts, Frawley, Gysberts, Jurrah or Sylvia then Scully would be my preferred. He is an accumulator of possessions who Bulldogs games aside has not for mine directly affected the result of a game with his performance in his 2 years. He will get stronger but he will not get taller, quicker or better endurance. I doubt his kicking will improve but I may be proven wrong.

The key with Scully is he offers us a difference in our midfield set that we dont currently have. If I knew that we would get two first rounders and I was sure we could use these to attain two of the GWS 17 year old picks then I would take it and run. Unfortunately we cant be sure.

Guest hangon007

Robbie, I suspect we're on the same page here - but I don't think the issue is simply as black and white of 'stay or go'.

I would like him to stay, but only on the basis that:

- he doesn't rip so much dough out of our cap that we compromise our future, resulting in the loss of other required players as a direct consequence of his contract terms, eg, Sylvia; and

- he puts an end to this pathetic saga immediately and abandons his selfish desire to 'sign in his own time', respects the club and the damage this saga is doing to it (which is firmly in his control), and signs now.

Given that I doubt that either of the above will occur, I am leaning to wanting him to tell the the MFC that he intends to accept the GWS offer and allow the Dees to re-sign our other important players (principally Sylvia) and to secure two first round draft picks as compensation.

I suspect we picked the wrong horse in Scully. But, if that ultimately proves to be the case, at least we did so in good faith. The potential lessons learnt - interrogate what actually motivates these kids to want to play AFL football. There must be a massive 'team component' to their motivation.

IMO it beggars belief that anyone (let alone a 20 year old without any tertiary qualifications) would wilfully not want to know the terms of a proposed employment offer of, say, $5-6 million over 5 years. That in itself smells very bad to me. Clearly I'm not the only one holding that view.

Clearly. But does that make what you say right? But, you are entitled to your opinion.

"I would like him to stay, but only on the basis that:" ... interesting its your way or the highway.

Sounds like the blame game for Tom at Melbourne has already started. mmmmmmm ... interesting.