Getting a Grip

Maldonboy38

Yes, we are all steamed up after losing another winnable game at Etihad, with some familiar weaknesses on display. Fellow demonlanders, it really is hard to stick tough sometimes after 45+ years of watching the same patterns emerge. However, after a good breakfast, a match review with my Demon-loving family, and a kick of the footy with my boys, I would like to give some measured response to last night. The last 20 minutes was unforgivable, but apart from that period alone:

At times our football was breath-taking. Our movement out of defence caught the Doggies repeatedly by surprise. Frawley, River, Strauss, Nicho etc... were not terrible and our loss does not sit with them.

Our running through the corridr (or at least at the edge of the centre square) was first class at times with a great overlap pattern.

We got it into forward 50 enough times to win the game.

We equalled thier tackles, or near enough.

Contested possession was even

we blooded another first-gamer (although it was probably the wrong night to do it)

It was only as the Doggies applied pressure in a small space that we began that horrible pattern of 6-8 handballs in close to turn it over, and because we had all spread forward, we got burned bad on the turnover. Our stoppage play shows deficiencies against mature, skillful midfields (Pies, Hawks, Blues and now dogs). Improvement will come after another pre-season, and 2013 should be the year when the bodies are amture enough to demonstrate skill in tight spaces.

Our kicking for goal is an official worry now. We are missing 5-10 easy shots every week. All the great work done through defence and the midfield is being ruined by forwards either taking it too easy, not concentrating, or lacking simple skills at important times.

If anyone remembers the years that Barassi was at Melbourne, he almost killed Flower's career. He was played everywhere because there were few with his skill, poise and courage in the team. I feel the same is being done to Watts. If he plays all over the ground to cover gaps, his forward maturity will slow down and it is now our forward line that is our main lack. I am a fan of the way Bailey has stuck to his development plan but think he is holding Watts back from developing the skills required for a key forward.

The roller coaster is frustrating, but when we do play well it is great footy. Our problems ar fixable and depend on a strong, injury-free preseason leading into 2012. This will prove to me whether the team that is emerging is as good as the early 90's team that could have/should have won a flag.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its lonely when no one responds to your post so I had to add a reply.

To sum up your post you think players are lacking in skills, being forced to play out of positions and not being given direction.

Now I wonder how many other threads her basically say the same . The difference is they are not as polite as you are regarding our curent situation :mellow:

Honestly, I thought the biggest difference between the teams last night was that only one side wanted the ball. In contested situations, our players repeatedly stood back and let their opponents get first touch and then tried to tackle them. There were only a few occasions when they charged in and fought for the ground level ball. It was a return to the "bruise free" style of game that drew so much criticism after the Carlton game. I don't know whether they were intimidated by the bulldogs' attack on the ball or simply lacking in endeavour, but it was a sad thing to watch.

Honestly, I thought the biggest difference between the teams last night was that only one side wanted the ball. In contested situations, our players repeatedly stood back and let their opponents get first touch and then tried to tackle them. There were only a few occasions when they charged in and fought for the ground level ball. It was a return to the "bruise free" style of game that drew so much criticism after the Carlton game. I don't know whether they were intimidated by the bulldogs' attack on the ball or simply lacking in endeavour, but it was a sad thing to watch.

+1 Spot on.

The team should be fined $7000 for being on the ground as spectators.

Maldonboy 38 I think I am a similar vintage and have watched the Dees for a little longer.

I feel the same way I have for a lot of those years.

DOWN.

Thank god there is no Game next week.

I can forget about the bloody MFC for a week.

Maldonboy will we live long enough to see anything different.

Today I doubt it.

But who knows on Saturday 16th July!

It's true, our best last night was as good, if not better, than theirs.

Problem is, we just cannot perform at our best when under pressure and/or trailing in a match. Save for the Brisbane game, when we have fallen behind this year, the contest has ended. We cannot seem to work our way back into games once the other side gets going.

I think we were flat after consecutive 6 day breaks.

Weak excuse, but I think that's the reason.

AB I think you are grasping at straws mate.

I doubt it would be different if we played them tonight or tomorrow or monday.

I think we were flat after consecutive 6 day breaks.

Weak excuse, but I think that's the reason.

I agree. I felt coming into this game that after we put two wins together, we were always going to struggle with a 6 days break.

I don't think we played particularly worse than last week against the tigers. It's just the fact we played against a more mature, and more experiences team ( esp. their midfield) who punished our every mistake and exposed our current deficiencies. The lack of leadership when our backs are against the wall is still a concern though. The margin should not have been allowed to blow out so much and whenever we got a bit of a run going I didn't see any of the leaders trying to fire us up.

The ranting and roaring from Richmond fans today sounds very familiar and I think a degree of patience is just required, as much as it sucks. An article on the AFL website provides a reasonable perspective

The ranting and roaring from Richmond fans today sounds very familiar and I think a degree of patience is just required, as much as it sucks. An article on the AFL website provides a reasonable perspective

Good article, with a lot of merit....still does not excuse the lack of leadership once a side challenges us. But yes the club must look forwards & push this group whilst being fair.

I would like to see Trengove made captain, if not now certainly next year...a bold move, yes. But a statement that does need to be made.

I think the Bombers are showing tonight, that when you have a good attitude and intent, your age, body size and experience means very little.

This is not to say that this will be a weekly event for Essendon, however, it is what we all ask as supporters of our club. An honest effort.

couldn't agree more....will we play the same way over the next month???

You always look for positives and assess the reason we lost, here is both our best players last night were Trengove, Watts, McKenzie, Petterd, Howe and some had Strauss and Jones, the bulldogs best players Griffen, Cooney, Hudson, Gia, Higgins. The positive is our young players are coming on the negative as it is with most our losses ou senior players go missing. Our loss to St Kilda was the same we allowed there good players to play well.

When I wrote the topic up this morning, I really wanted to give a big-picture perspective of the game, without focusing only on the poorer parts of the game. I reckon we have a great list, a game plan that can work, and a coach who is ready to do the hard yards. But when we lose... we get monstered.

But even I can't get a grip on these matters:

• Our lack of leadership when we are losing, especially when opposition get 3-4 goals in a row. Moloney can hold his head up - very little has diverted him from being physical and vocal. Rivers has been good this year but his leadership is limited. Green & Davey have been very disappointing in terms of leadership. Looking back on Neitz, Viney, Lyon - its a great pity to see such hesitant and ineffectual leadership.
  • Our lack of aggro and intensity. We rarely have even 5 players play with a "hunter" mentality even when we win. Maybe the Richmond game was the only exception. McKenzie and Trengove should be learning this, not leading it.

Guest milpod

McKenzie and Trengove should be learning this, not leading it.

We have overlapped our leadship group to no avail.Make a stand appoint a kid with passion,skill hardness.Let the MFC be about revolution not evolution.

As MFC members we have seen finches on the Galapagos islands change species in the time between our flags.

• Our lack of leadership when we are losing, especially when opposition get 3-4 goals in a row. Moloney can hold his head up - very little has diverted him from being physical and vocal. Rivers has been good this year but his leadership is limited. Green & Davey have been very disappointing in terms of leadership. Looking back on Neitz, Viney, Lyon - its a great pity to see such hesitant and ineffectual leadership

I think this is the key, fortunately it won't be like this forever. We have a bevy of young leaders on our list.

Guest milpod

Look at Essendon Tonight....That is the sort of attitude we MUST find....Bottom line.

I agree,have not seen it at the MFC since Brad Green made carlton pay.

The team is developing. We are out of childhood and into puberty.

I remember puberty. They were turbulent times. I won't go into detail.

The team's collective voice is breaking and it has acne. It can look and sound clumsy but it is getting bigger and stronger.