Gambling responsibly?

ucanchoose

I know this is going to sound like I'm getting on my high horse...............

Last night I had the boys (6 and 4) with me, and the wife. I had my camera taken off me at the door because it was too professional. (WTF?!?!?) Was taken to the cloakroom to hand it in, but I digress. We sat on level three until about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when it was time to leave because my wife had to work at 7am. On our way back to the clokeroom we were passed by some scantly clad women handing out pamphlets for "Dogsbet". I declined but behind my back gave the pamphlets to my children. After arriving at the cloakroom I noticed what my children had because they both yelled out "Look Dad, Dog betting!" I was instantly appalled and the women in the cloakroom asked where they got them from and didn't believe it was from them. My wife was about 5m behind us and saw them give it to them.

I politely (as possible) pointed out to her that what her staff was doing was illegal and immoral. She got loud. I got angry. My wife and I had an argument about this on the way to Southern Cross Station and other people confirmed that their children were approached too. I want to lodge a complaint. Does anybody have an email address or contact for the AFL I can send this to. I have an email address for Etihad Stadium and the Bulldogs but want this to go to head office as well.

Sorry if this isn't on the right board, or I sound like some kind of snob, but this is really annoying in my book,

But we are the nanny state arn't we.

I would be filthy on that type of behaviour. Go all the way.

What ever avenue you go down link me up and I'll lodge a complaint aswell.

I personally don't have an enormous issue with them handing out pamphlets but to hand them to your young children is a disgrace and that is where your complaint needs to be targetted.

That said there is a 'Deesbet' ad that goes up on the big screen at every one of our home games, so where do you start and finish on problems like this.. I dont know

Edited by Demon Land 7

Last night I had the boys (6 and 4) with me, and the wife. I had my camera taken off me at the door because it was too professional. (WTF?!?!?) Was taken to the cloakroom to hand it in, but I digress. We sat on level three until about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when it was time to leave because my wife had to work at 7am. On our way back to the clokeroom we were passed by some scantly clad women handing out pamphlets for "Dogsbet". I declined but behind my back gave the pamphlets to my children. After arriving at the cloakroom I noticed what my children had because they both yelled out "Look Dad, Dog betting!" I was instantly appalled and the women in the cloakroom asked where they got them from and didn't believe it was from them. My wife was about 5m behind us and saw them give it to them.

I politely (as possible) pointed out to her that what her staff was doing was illegal and immoral. She got loud. I got angry. My wife and I had an argument about this on the way to Southern Cross Station and other people confirmed that their children were approached too. I want to lodge a complaint. Does anybody have an email address or contact for the AFL I can send this to. I have an email address for Etihad Stadium and the Bulldogs but want this to go to head office as well.

Sorry if this isn't on the right board, or I sound like some kind of snob, but this is really annoying in my book,

I am so sick of the excessive emphasis on sport-related gambling in our society. It is bizarre that we have Ox talking about his problems on SEN punctuated by all of the gambling ads. It is obvious that alcohol, gambling and smoking generate obscene amounts of money. To see those pathetic "Nanny state" ads about cigarette packaging tells you how much money tobacco generates. If we rely on these things to generate taxes then we need to restructure the tax system. We'll end up like Greece.

By the way, I used to smoke, I do drink, I by a Tattslotto ticket about once every ten years and when I don't then I wonder why I bothered and I bet on the cup about every five years. Again, when I don't win I think "that was dumb". I'm not a complete wowser, just a bit sanctimonious.

The girls wouldbe from a moddelling/ pr/ marketing agency, if you could find out which one, send them an email. Miht be worth a phone call to a redio station too, the more embarassment for them the better.

Doesn't matter what agency they are from, they are contracted by the club, or Dogsbet, which is linked to the club. Far as I'm concerned it is the Dogs issue. I absolutely hate the gambling advertising in sport, but can tolerate it to a certain point. However that point has definitely been crossed by a country mile if some stupid, ignorant idiot is handing advertising to 6 and 4 yr old children. And I would think that it would be illegal to advertise gambling to an underage person in such a targeted way, and if it isn't, well it bloody well should be. Disgraceful. :mad:

Doesn't matter what agency they are from, they are contracted by the club, or Dogsbet, which is linked to the club. Far as I'm concerned it is the Dogs issue. I absolutely hate the gambling advertising in sport, but can tolerate it to a certain point. However that point has definitely been crossed by a country mile if some stupid, ignorant idiot is handing advertising to 6 and 4 yr old children. And I would think that it would be illegal to advertise gambling to an underage person in such a targeted way, and if it isn't, well it bloody well should be. Disgraceful. :mad:

I agree, I'm just forseeing the limp wristed response from the Bulldogs blaming a faceless third party.

I just tweeted a link to this page to Robbo. This reall s&*ts me badly. And unfortunately I reckon ur dead right Rich Demon. If nothing else, hopefully it might provide a catalyst for some kind of restraint on gambling advertising, as it is way out of control at the moment.

I agree, I'm just forseeing the limp wristed response from the Bulldogs blaming a faceless third party.

"To register your complaint by voice recording ... Press 1, to speak with someone in an unrelated department who will handball you off to someone else ... Press 2, to be put on hold listening to Kenny G for 15 minutes before the line inexplicably drops out ... Press 3" ....

Trying not to stereotype them, but I would imagine that the girls handing out the flyers were not the brightest. They probably thought that the kids were cute and they were giving them a present. It is not an excuse, but i'm tipping (no pun intended) that they did not even think about what they were doing. I dont think they are paid for their intellect.

It's my experience that pointing out to people that they are "illegal and immoral" almost always sparks a loud and angry exchange.

Speaking of which. I would have got loud and angry if I had bet a million dollars on Geelong to beat Essendon, like some bloke did yesterday.

It's my experience that pointing out to people that they are "illegal and immoral" almost always sparks a loud and angry exchange.

Speaking of which. I would have got loud and angry if I had bet a million dollars on Geelong to beat Essendon, like some bloke did yesterday.

Sometimes life just makes a beautiful, poetic point doesn't it?

I thought this might have been a thread about the guy who put $1M on Geelong to defeat Essendon.

I was thinking something similar :)

But seriously, that's really poor form. Go ahead and lodge all the complaints you want.

I'd complain. I hate all the advertising of the punt both at the game and in the media. Family of addicts to various things, so I figure I'm susceptible and try to stay the hell away from it. Doesn't always work, but when I have a flutter generally it's either MFC related or Cup day.

For them to even offer, let alone give it to your kids is terrible. They're already bombarded with ads, that just makes it far worse.

Edited by Striker475

I got a reply for the women who was supervising them. She was from Betezy

Basically she said that I was a liar, that my children and wife were also liars, that I had no credibility, that I was agressive and pretty much made up the whole story.

Very disappointing.... Wife in tears...... Oh well, them's the breaks.

No doubt the bloke could afford to put a million on the Cats. And, give big bettors usually straddle several options, he might even have put, say, 125,000 on Essendon (plus $8.00 pre-game)and broken even.

Go for it. Go hard at them.

http://www.3aw.com.au/contact-us Heres Neil.

Man the chicks who tried to give them to me weren't even hot. That's an outrage. And as if I would bet with dogsbet.

But to the girls on QB'day - thankyou for the fishermens friends, they were nice.

They're owned by Betezy, same as Deesbet.

And from their Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct:

"Responsible Advertising

Doggiesbet takes in obligations under the Trade Practices Act seriously and shall not be engaged in advertising that is misleading or deceptive, particularly in relation to winning.

Any promotions or advertising campaigns relating to gambling shall be in good taste, not offend prevailing community standards and shall not involve or encourage minors to participate."

The full Code is here: http://www.doggiesbet.com.au/Home/ResponsibleGamblingCodeofConduct.aspx

So I would contact the Trade Practices Commission, as this seems to be the Govt body they're beholden to...