Simon Buckley

Demon Jim

Fascinating that we now have an explanation for his departure. I've always wondered why Buckley (who seemed to fit the Bailey game plan so well in terms of play-on at all costs footy) - and Valenti for that matter - were given the chop, given his potential.

In hindsight, though, I think it's been a win-win. While Buckley would probably be in our 22 pretty regularly these days, I can't think of anyone I'd want him taking the place of.

Fascinating that we now have an explanation for his departure. I've always wondered why Buckley (who seemed to fit the Bailey game plan so well in terms of play-on at all costs footy) - and Valenti for that matter - were given the chop, given his potential.

In hindsight, though, I think it's been a win-win. While Buckley would probably be in our 22 pretty regularly these days, I can't think of anyone I'd want him taking the place of.

Reason's why we didn't keep him at the end of 2009:

A) Dodgy groins followed by hip injury that required surgery = backwards start for 2010

B) The trouble with his ex girl friend - never a positive

C) He wanted a trade

D) Those kicking skills can be up and down, the booming long kick certainly suits Collingwood's game plan more than ours at the moment

Of the quotes it is only this one that bothers me.

"I wasn't able to get on top of the injuries, and once I was out of the team I hardly had anything to do with any of the coaches," he said.

Surely it is the players out of the side who need the most coaching. Hopefully we've come a fair way with stuff like that since the end of 2009.

Even after he left for the Collingwood facilities it still took him 12 months to get himself right .

We couldn't have justified keeping him on the list anyway .

Guest Artie Bucco

Since he was mainly a HBF, would this be the area of Sean Wellman, who is no longer our problem?

Not trying to pass the buck, because it concerns me too, just asking the question.

Not sure those players need the most coaching, though.

Guest Artie Bucco

I've been hearing this from a friend who knows the Pies players pretty well. Very impressed with the man's character.

Yeah, I'm always impressed with the character of a bloke that damages his ex-girlfriend's car...

He may not be a bad egg, but he's not a good one either.

Even after he left for the Collingwood facilities it still took him 12 months to get himself right .

We couldn't have justified keeping him on the list anyway .

he was having a go at the crappy Junction oval facilities which is spot on but now we have just as good if not better facilities at AAMI, who cares what he thinks anyway. It's amazing how most of the blokes who have left in the last couple of years aren't even getting games, Johnson (delisted by Carlton), McLean not getting game, Bruce not getting game,Miller's doing bugger all etc etc........McLean and Bruce will be delisted at end of year

Edited by baysidedave

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

he was having a go at the crappy Junction oval facilities which is spot on but now we have just as good if not better facilities at AAMI, who cares what he thinks anyway. It's amazing how most of the blokes who have left in the last couple of years aren't even getting games, Johnson (delisted by Carlton), McLean not getting game, Bruce not getting game,Miller's doing bugger all etc etc........McLean and Bruce will be delisted at end of year

Could go a long way to explaining why we were so crap.

This guy was just a bad footballer, with a shocking football brain - let's not romanticize his time at the dees. He might be playing well with the filth but he was no where near, and still is no where near, our best 22

He wouldn't be in our best 22 but somehow makes it into Collingwood's the best team in the competition? Over rating our list I think. ut it's doesn't matter because he is doing well, hopefully we can as well.

I fail to see how our 'facilities' were responsible for Simon Buckley being one of the worst decision-makers I have ever seen play for the Melbourne Football Club. You could pluck someone from the crowd and insert them into Collingwood's 22 at the moment and they'd look ok. Admittedly, Collingwood has a great recent track record of developing extremely average footballers into capable players in a strong side, but Buckley was rightly delisted by the MFC, and if he was still here he'd be in the gun again. It's going to be hard enough finding players to delist this off-season.

it's always eaiser to get a kick in a good side...having very good players around you makes you look better than you really are.

that said...buckley sounds like he's got his body right and is happy at the pies...Melb had plenty of defenders coming through the ranks...Win Win for everyone.

It's going to be hard enough finding players to delist this off-season.

Really? What about any of Dunn, Bate, Maric, Spencer, Warnock, Newton, McNamara (although I appreciate the departure of the latter two may not "count" given their rookie listing). There may be others...and some of the above-named may be worth keeping. But I don't think it'll be too hard.

I fail to see how our 'facilities' were responsible for Simon Buckley being one of the worst decision-makers I have ever seen play for the Melbourne Football Club. You could pluck someone from the crowd and insert them into Collingwood's 22 at the moment and they'd look ok. Admittedly, Collingwood has a great recent track record of developing extremely average footballers into capable players in a strong side, but Buckley was rightly delisted by the MFC, and if he was still here he'd be in the gun again. It's going to be hard enough finding players to delist this off-season.

newton/mcnamara/lawrence/maric/wonaemearri ( delist then rookie)/warnock ( trade)/

This guy was just a bad footballer, with a shocking football brain - let's not romanticize his time at the dees. He might be playing well with the filth but he was no where near, and still is no where near, our best 22

I'm with you. He had pathetic decision making skills, and yeah he could kick long, but he could hardly hit a man. He was never in our best 22 and never will be. Anyone who says otherwise is living in LaLa land.

He is a stop gap player for the pies now, he won't be anywhere near their finals team.

Really? What about any of Dunn, Bate, Maric, Spencer, Warnock, Newton, McNamara (although I appreciate the departure of the latter two may not "count" given their rookie listing). There may be others...and some of the above-named may be worth keeping. But I don't think it'll be too hard.

Sorry - didn't want to turn this into a list management thread - just replying to a couple of the delisting ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. According to Demonblog here: http://mfcdemonblog.blogspot.com/ of those LDC and Dawi mentioned, Newton, McNamara and Lawrence are all rookie listed (and don't count, as LDC mentioned), while Dunn, Spencer and Bate are on the books for next year. Which leaves you with Maric, Wonaeamirri and Warnock. I'm not putting these guys on the chopping block with 10 weeks to play - merely pointing out that we don't simply have complete wastrels to delist this year. The list is in very good shape for the future if developed well.

Well said and I agree.

Sorry - didn't want to turn this into a list management thread - just replying to a couple of the delisting ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. According to Demonblog here: http://mfcdemonblog.blogspot.com/ of those LDC and Dawi mentioned, Newton, McNamara and Lawrence are all rookie listed (and don't count, as LDC mentioned), while Dunn, Spencer and Bate are on the books for next year. Which leaves you with Maric, Wonaeamirri and Warnock. I'm not putting these guys on the chopping block with 10 weeks to play - merely pointing out that we don't simply have complete wastrels to delist this year. The list is in very good shape for the future if developed well.

True

But maybe Bate and Dunn could be persuaded to move to the rookie list and free up two spots

Has been done before