Tom Scully

Rogue

Don't know. But amazing that the Ox would go on record and say that don't you think?

Why is that amazing?

What are the ramifications for him if Scully stays?

Name a journo that has only made comments and opinions when they're 100% certain?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people are 'not saying', as you put it, is that Melbourne are already resigned to the player leaving and everything you saw yesterday is smoke and mirrors. Melbourne's sole focus now is to get the best possible compensation deal it can and Velocity Sport's focus is to maintain the image and integrity of it's client.

So the recent news was a farce?

We had actual quotes from Velocity. Not rumours from unnamed sources. Not the 'word,' not whispers, not 'talk around the traps'...

Why did Schwab even need to go on SEN yesterday? Think about that. The only thing his media appearance was going to achieve would be a sh!tstorm of media articles today on the Scully issue.

Huh?

Schwab could have spent the evening catching up on the Harry Potter movies and their would still be these articles in the paper. I don't even recall many of these articles even mentioning Schwab.

He knew it. The Ox knew it. And I'd say most football insiders and media people know it as well.

Only the truly naive will continue to refuse to do so.

What do they know?

I have heard all these contradictory rumours when it comes to these so called 'football insiders' that even if you were to believe them - you would still be up against it understanding what the frack is happening.

I will believe actual quotes from the actual people involved. Tom and his management, Cameron and Dean, and whatever statement gets walked back from those at GWS.

You can believe nefarious and agenda-ridden rumours all you like.

Don't know. But amazing that the Ox would go on record and say that don't you think?

lol

No it isn't.

He is a journo, and he isn't an eighth as good a journo as he was a player...

'Isn't it amazing journos go on record with BS'

lol

So the recent news was a farce?

We had actual quotes from Velocity. Not rumours from unnamed sources. Not the 'word,' not whispers, not 'talk around the traps'...

Huh?

Schwab could have spent the evening catching up on the Harry Potter movies and their would still be these articles in the paper. I don't even recall many of these articles even mentioning Schwab.

What do they know?

I have heard all these contradictory rumours when it comes to these so called 'football insiders' that even if you were to believe them - you would still be up against it understanding what the frack is happening.

I will believe actual quotes from the actual people involved. Tom and his management, Cameron and Dean, and whatever statement gets walked back from those at GWS.

You can believe nefarious and agenda-ridden rumours all you like.

Okay Rpfc, there's not much I can say anymore. Your mind is made up and that's fine.

I'd be very surprised if at least some of you are now not starting to at least question your previously held beliefs about this issue.

Exactly, we're back to calling Scully a liar again. The fun never stops.

It's the 2011 MFC Merry-go-round. So much fun for all, but don't jump on with a full stomach or you may be sick :lol:

just a simple question:

Who actually has NEVER lied...or know someone who has NEVER lied ?

Its but a human condition... It happens

Okay Rpfc, there's not much I can say anymore. Your mind is made up and that's fine.

I'd be very surprised if at least some of you are now not starting to at least question your previously held beliefs about this issue.

Without sounding arrogant - and it can be tough - I don't think recent events have done anything but vindicate what Tom has been saying all along, and by extension what I have been saying.

I would think that this sorry chapter has exposed the BS that these footy journos play in.

I am biased - I know some of them - and I know that, like anyone, they can be thoughtless, rushed, rash, and stupid.

But if we went out on a limb like these journos do - we would be in trouble in our jobs.

They don't have that problem.

Example: Hutchy is consistently wrong abou things, and a sensationalist. The players hate him. How does he go? His business grows because of it and he is a veritable football-celebrity.

There are no repercussions for being wrong, that is why Schartz is so willing to go 'on record' with BS.

just a simple question:

Who actually has NEVER lied...or know someone who has NEVER lied ?

Its but a human condition... It happens

Well, ok, does RR think Tom is suffering from the human condition of lying when it came to his press conference?

When it comes to whether Tom has already signed for GWS?

Without sounding arrogant - and it can be tough - I don't think recent events have done anything but vindicate what Tom has been saying all along, and by extension what I have been saying.

I would think that this sorry chapter has exposed the BS that these footy journos play in.

I am biased - I know some of them - and I know that, like anyone, they can be thoughtless, rushed, rash, and stupid.

But if we went out on a limb like these journos do - we would be in trouble in our jobs.

They don't have that problem.

Example: Hutchy is consistently wrong abou things, and a sensationalist. The players hate him. How does he go? His business grows because of it and he is a veritable football-celebrity.

There are no repercussions for being wrong, that is why Schartz is so willing to go 'on record' with BS.

And they can't really be held accountable, except losing respect from the parts of the football industry.

Hutchy & Barrett - Crocmedia - apt name don't you think ?

I I dont know about some of this lack of repercussions etc. I would have thought that anyone in the media ( or otherwise for that matter) would need to tread carefully before besmirching anothers good character. There are such things as Libel and Slander still.

Based on what?

You have not put up anything of substance on this matter. Just pedalled other people's rumours and innuendo and unsuccessfully dodged other posters accusations about Scully being a liar. Not a good performance.

I I dont know about some of this lack of repercussions etc. I would have thought that anyone in the media ( or otherwise for that matter) would need to tread carefully before besmirching anothers good character. There are such things as Libel and Slander still.

But a lot of Sports Journos are implying this about Scully

If they're all wrong and he signs with Melbourne, they can just claim they got bad info

Do you think we're going to see all the big named sports journos sacked en masse?

Why did Schwab even need to go on SEN yesterday? Think about that.

I thought about it, and in my opinion the silence would've been deafening. No comment from Schwab yesterday would mean an acceptance that Scully is already gone, and that would've told me more about the situation than anything else could've.

Schwab is no dummy, he wouldn't have just woken up that morning to hear this new story and suddenly think, "i'm going on the radio to talk about it". I applaud his defense of Tom's character as well and call me naive if you want but in my eyes Scully has been vindicated in his statement earlier this year that he has not already signed on.

If they're all wrong and he signs with Melbourne, they can just claim they got bad info

Do you think we're going to see all the big named sports journos sacked en masse?

The problem with saying "you got bad info" is that the next time you try to break a story or go on the record people will doubt you.

Your reputation takes a hit. Like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, you lose credibility.

That is the ramification.

It's not that hard to understand.

ARGUMENTS -

IF Ox is so convinced he has either been told by GWS or Velocity that Tom has signed. Either way Tom has had to sign something so Tom has lied. He has lied to the Club/supporters, his friends/contacts (who have said that he will wait until the end of the year. Then the Club must know and they are cleverly carrying out a campaign to ensure decent compensation. The Club and its Board are not stupid or naive. Tom will have to live his being branded a liar and worse for the rest of his career. He will not remain at GWS he will move on to the next club willing to offer him more once his five year tenure is finished at GWS when he has to take a pay cut.

On the other hand Tom has not lied and the Club understanding the turmoil that it is creating has put its best offer to Tom for his consideration. Velocity says to GWS gee I believe you are interested in Tom playing next year what do you want to offer. Tom do you want to know what the offer is, No, I have told the Club and the supporters I will wait until the end of the year.

CONSIDERATIONS

Did Tom come home from China and say this Club is shite, I'm off. Where do I sign. Velocity knowing that he was unhappy approached GWS. Wanna make an offer!!

Is Tom so devious that he would take part in a press conference and put on his innocent face to plead that no I havent talked to them neither have my Management.

Why would the Club have only just put the offer to him if they had known that he had received an offer last year from GWS.

Have they just put the offer out there because he has signed and they are now playing Vlad at his own game. Dangerous that one.

Interesting comment by Bulcher that in referrring to GWS offer "if you believe what is in the papers".

Geez this is doing my head in and I presume from the 38 pages here the rest of the Melbourne supporters. The article in the Age is pushing me into believing that Tom has gone and the Club is in attack mode. I hope not. But either way there will be damage if he leaves or stays. If he goes we lose a leader and AAA player and if he stays we may leave ourselves open to attack on our other junior premium players.

I come back to Dean Bailey asking Chris Johnson if he really wanted to play for the MFC and if he didnt that it was best that he go. Maybe if Tom does go we take this attitude. We want players with passion for their Club and their team mates. We dont want players who at the end of the game just think well that is another $000,000 in the bank.

It is emotive and that is why the NFL's signing of contracts mid season will not work in the AFL.

The problem with saying "you got bad info" is that the next time you try to break a story or go on the record people will doubt you.

Your reputation takes a hit. Like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, you lose credibility.

That is the ramification.

It's not that hard to understand.

So the majority of Sports Journos are going to lose their credibility if they're wrong?

Name one sports journo who has only ever posted 100% fact

whether you sources are good or bad if you go into the public domain and shout for al lto hear and read "X" and its provable as either Libellous or Slander then the Utterer/Author is up for it irregardless.

You will note many are guarded and careful in crafting their comments. Invariably the paper/radio/tv for which these work would cop the fallout ( and pay the damages) so often these 'identities' are cautioned by legal depts.

It is still interesting that so much is bandied about.

So the majority of Sports Journos are going to lose their credibility if they're wrong?

Name one sports journo who has only ever posted 100% fact

You can't. But I disagree with this notion that journalists get everything wrong.

Research would show that they get a hell of a lot right, a lot of the time.

From the Ox's Twitter ...

gnaight ben davids @TheOx05 obviously you were totally wrong on the scully situation as he has only just gotten the offer. Do the club a favor and shut up!

TheOx05 David Schwarz @ @gnaight don't be so naive he got the offer last October.

So Ox and others version of events is as follows?

1. Scully signed his soul to the Devil last year in October around a similar time to when he left the china trip?

2. The rumour was leaked via Eddie early in the season

3. Scullys reputation was being called to question so MFC got him to do a press conference where he was non committal but positive enough for MFC to believe he would stay?

4. Still there were many who said a deal had been done.

5. Speculation continued to run rife, Velocity and Scully maintain no decision has been made and will not even consider any offers until the end of the season

6. MFC wanted to put a stop to it all so tabled a major offer - perhaps seen by the club as one too good to refuse

7. Velocity continue to preach the "no decision has been made and we will not even consider any offers until the end of the season" mantra but in the same breath have invited GWS to put their offer on the table now, not at the end of the season.....? Velocity say that although they have received the GWS offer, Tom Scully doesn’t know the details?

Its far from an open and shut case, but the conclusions which Ox and Co are leading us to is the following;

Scully signed in principal with GWS last October. Velocity and Scully have done their best to be “transparent” throughout the season so that when he signs with GWS at the end of the year they can say that the decision was made after the season not last October as the rumours had said. The reason Velocity have come out and talked openly about GWS tabling a formal offer now, is so that they can maintain he has not signed already and keep Scully’s reputation intact

Nutshell ^^^^

Well, ok, does RR think Tom is suffering from the human condition of lying when it came to his press conference?

When it comes to whether Tom has already signed for GWS?

as the Devils advocate I would ask ...Is Scully beyond any human conditions ? And if so why ?

whether you sources are good or bad if you go into the public domain and shout for al lto hear and read "X" and its provable as either Libellous or Slander then the Utterer/Author is up for it irregardless.

You will note many are guarded and careful in crafting their comments. Invariably the paper/radio/tv for which these work would cop the fallout ( and pay the damages) so often these 'identities' are cautioned by legal depts.

It is still interesting that so much is bandied about.

You honestly believe Mike Sheehan putting forward an opinion that "....I believe Scully has signed"

Or the Ox ".....I'm 98% certain"

is going to lead to civil action?

On what? Reporting their opinion?

And you think EVERY news outlet is going to cop it?

They've all had a go

You can't. But I disagree with this notion that journalists get everything wrong.

Research would show that they get a hell of a lot right, a lot of the time.

Who says journo's are never wrong? No one

But they're not always right either

Did Pavlich end up at Gold Coast?