The Tom Scully Saga

Rubbish! He is playing great football for the Demons and concentrating on that. The only person being "disrespected" is Scully, by the likes of you.

thats a joke dude - i want to concentrate on footy and not let contracts distract me - are you for real, how much of distraction would it be - his managment do all the work, it is not as if he needs to negiotiate himself - its the same old cliche.

I RESENT him big time and i am sure there are thousands of others that also resent him for this!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I've always been a Scully-to-stay believer and try to disregard most of the rumours and innuendo, but I'm not totally convinced with Scully's latest party line.

Pretty much only says he's "happy to be back playing footy." Says "a decision" will be made at the end of the year, rather than saying he'll negotiate a new deal at season's end. I was hoping to see some kind of indication that he saw his future at the MFC, but to no avail.

I know it's pedantic but I reckon you can make educated guesses based on media quotes. Ralph's article doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, just adding my $0.02 worth.

exactly what i thought. Seemed like a content bloke with no reference with dealing with the MFC at the end of year.

I disagree Hardtack. With the amount of speculation and media attention this is generating, members who are in fact the 'shareholders' of the club have every right to question what is happening here. Particularly with the unique GWS situation that has arisen. I don't think people are losing their heads or going feral, rather they want some sort of sign that he's going to commit. Much like our number two pick Jack Trengove did and number three pick Dustin Martin did with Richmond. If he signalled his intent to stay now and did the formal contract work at the season's end, all of this would be over. Be fair to your fellow supporters on this one. I think we're being treated with contempt.

The only one who has treated anyone with contempt here. is the AFL as they allowed this whole situation to arise. Scully is in no way beholden to the club and he is well within his rights to hold off negotiations until he sees fit to make whatever move he makes.

As a member, I am a shareholder, and as a shareholder I really couldn't give a rat's about Scully not committing until he is ready as long as he is giving his all in each and every game he plays. If we play finals football this year, that will do more for this club and the shareholders than any commitment from any player... and Scully is doing his best to see that we do play finals. As far as I am concerned, nothing else matters.

Edited by hardtack

Guest Guy Rigoni

Even though i've been fairly critical of the way Scully has handled this situation, was disappointing to hear him being booed during the first quarter by a fair amount of Melbourne supporters.

It has got to the point that even if he signs with the dees is rep is tarnished.

Yes, this is a perfect case study in how to get those that support you, off side. If he does stay, he'll be Mark Waugh-like for me -

a player that you admire for their brilliance, but find it hard to warm to. It's a massive shame but he has done it to himself (...and with a little help from his friends at Velocity Sports!)

Guest Thomo

He's gone. Jim Stynes told Steven Phillips at the presidents lunch today that he has signed, spoke to him just before. I was in the rooms after the game, and it seemed Jim told Dean after Dean did his presser once all players had pretty much left. Jim went to every player in the rooms to congratulate them when the boys were doing warm down, except Tom. He was the first player to go home.

Thought i'd let everyone know.

So Jim Stynes is confident enough in the fact that he is going to be telling people at the presidents lunch, but Bailey needs to give him an ultimatum to find out if he is staying? That makes no sense, you have really contradicted yourself. Mods should ban.

And with the work that Jim does with young people, do you really think that he would ignore a 19 year old bloke with a life changing decision regardless of what the final decision was?

i have number 31 on one of my jumpers. i'm as shattered as anyone. just saying, unfortunately he is all but gone. Dean should give tom an ultimatum to confirm or deny this week, with his spot in the side pending,

Very difficult to watch today...

I can't help but think that no matter what happens, we will all remember this saga.

This hasn't endeared him to the supporters of this great club and in my opinion his reputation may never recover.

He is acting professionally. Giving his all on the feild, and conducting contract negotiations off it. Why should he not be given the same respect that every other player in the AFL is given? Why is he different than Green, Jamar , Watts and Davey in the past, or Sylvia, Morton and Martin this year?

The last two players that held out for the best contract were the Captain and Vice Captain, saga's hardly remembered by the supporters or the club.

completly different circumstance yes a guy from victoria playing in the west to guy playing in victoria going to the west for 1 thing only = CASH!

dont defend the guy as he is disrespecting all of us!

How is he disrespecting all of us? By playing his best, preparing professionally, conducting his contract negotiations away from the media?

Unlike most, I don't think Scully is going to be a great player, very good but not great. His disposal is not up to AFL standard, and I would put him behind Watts, Frawley, Trengove, McKenzie and Gysberts. But he is acting professionally, and unless the facts change he should be given the respect that he deserves

Guest milpod

This is one area Rugby league has it all over us.Mid season defections by coaches and players with nary a second thought.Get use to it boys and girls,it will be here soon.

The hand ringing and teeth gnashing is all in vain.Unless you are Tom's family,manager or his partner your angst will fall on deaf ears.Why waste so much emotionally on one player?His inflated pay pack will exclude other talent.

It was always going to be difficult to keep so many early picks together,more so with expansion teams and unrealistic wages offered.I believe there are far more valuable players on our list we need to keep for our next tilt at the flag.

Remember that footy will be played differently when we are having our go at the cup.

It is dynamic within a season,let alone 1-2 seasons in the future.

thats a joke dude - i want to concentrate on footy and not let contracts distract me - are you for real, how much of distraction would it be - his managment do all the work, it is not as if he needs to negiotiate himself - its the same old cliche.

I RESENT him big time and i am sure there are thousands of others that also resent him for this!

Not a joke at all "dude" (faux Americanism that doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid)... he is waiting for the right time to negotiate and is well within his rights to do so. In the meantime he is concentrating on, and playing, very good football which is what he is paid to do.

I suppose you also think he has some sort of a moral obligation to a club he has played a handful of games for, who he did not support growing up, and who he had no say in going to? The AFL is the only villain in this whole mess... you would do far better directing your anger in their direction.

The only one who has treated anyone with contempt here. is the AFL as they allowed this whole situation to arise. Scully is in no way beholden to the club and he is well within his rights to hold off negotiations until he sees fit to make whatever move he makes.

As a member, I am a shareholder, and as a shareholder I really couldn't give a rat's about Scully not committing until he is ready as long as he is giving his all in each and every game he plays. If we play finals football this year, that will do more for this club and the shareholders than any commitment from any player... and Scully is doing his best to see that we do play finals. As far as I am concerned, nothing else matters.

Absolutely agree that this situation is thanks to our friends at the AFL - it makes a complete farce of the draft. And of course he is not beholden to the club - he can do whatever he likes, but as Norm Smith said so well back in 1965, it's about principle. If this early into his tenure he is willing to take this sort of approach, then I'm sorry, but he is treating our club with contempt.

You reap what you sow.

What if you are not the one sowing anything?

What if it is all speculation and rumour engineered to shake Tom loose.

Still jumping at shadows.

I mentioned a few months ago that it would be pathetic if we believed these rumours to the point where we abused or booed Tom as he wore the red and the blue.

Apparently, we have got to that sad place.

He is a Demon until he decides he doesn't want to be - let's not disgrace ourselves.

If this early into his tenure he is willing to take this sort of approach, then I'm sorry, but he is treating our club with contempt.

Well, I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that point; I just see him being the consummate professional concentrating purely on the job at hand and not allowing himself to be distracted; which is something to be admired in one so young.

Even though i've been fairly critical of the way Scully has handled this situation, was disappointing to hear him being booed during the first quarter by a fair amount of Melbourne supporters.

Really? i didnt hear this

What if you are not the one sowing anything?

What if it is all speculation and rumour engineered to shake Tom loose.

Still jumping at shadows.

I mentioned a few months ago that it would be pathetic if we believed these rumours to the point where we abused or booed Tom as he wore the red and the blue.

Apparently, we have got to that sad place.

He is a Demon until he decides he doesn't want to be - let's not disgrace ourselves.

If he signalled his intent the whole situation will go away. Simple.

He is doing what is well within his right, if anything him signing on will say something about YOU...if he signs he will have been honest the whole time

If he signalled his intent the whole situation will go away. Simple.

How is that dealing with it at the end of the year?

And if he said "I want to be a Demon next year" what then?

More questions, and possibly a promise he can't keep in the unlikely event of a poor offer from us or a sudden desire to not play for a club where the supporters boo him.

The questions will be "why don't you sign now then?", "why don't you sign a HoA?", etc.

Never ends.

I don't know if there's even any point answering those questions. The way we view footy must be poles apart.

I can only offer you a quote in reply ...

"Football is not matter of life and death ... It's more important than that." - Bill Shankly (Iconic Liverpool Manager)

Then you have lost it Rangey...

JUST READ THIS and you will realise how wrong you are.

I love your passion for your club. I share a similar passion, but i also have a grip on reality. I suggest you and many others around here get a grip.

Edited by Grandson of a gun

Thought i'd let everyone know.

Gee willickers, thanks......but that's a steaming pile if ever I heard one!

Sounds like a version of something a 13 YO girl would make up.

Have a another try with something more believable, that wasn't told to you fourth hand?

Then you have lost it Rangey...

JUST READ THIS and you will realise how wrong you are.

I love your passion for your club. I share a similar passion, but i also have a grip on reality. I suggest you and many others around here get a grip.

Come on now GofaGun, don't take things so literally.

My point was to suggest that many people invest emotionally in their football club. It hardly bears comparison to the mundane aspects of life. I've been going to watch the Dees for 25 years. There's probably posters on here who can double that tally. Year in, year out we head to the G and cheer our boys on with our friends and families, in the hope that one day we might see some red and blue ribbons around the cup. I'd love that to happen just once in my lifetime.

It would be nice to have players at the club who feel the same way.

Mercenaries can pi$$ off as far as I'm concerned.

I didn’t go today but went on the QB. I didn’t hear anybody booing him but what I didn’t like was the eerie silence after his mark and while he was lining up for a goal. There was no cheering or affection from the supporters just a very large murmuring sound as if all 70+ thousand just started talking about him behind his back. If I was him and felt no love from the supporters, got booed playing my heart out and was having all these negative things said about me (just read through the 34 previous pages for examples) why not seriously consider moving. It’s not like where really giving him the same support as others. If anything I think the majority of supporters are helping push him out the door rather than make him feel appreciated.

spelling...

Edited by double dee

I've been following this with great interest and I'm not sure what will happen, but at the end of the day, if Tom Scully leaves the MFC and that's the worse thing that happens to all of us, we'll be doing okay.

FWIW, BT's comments today during the game about a press conference are BS. Why should Scully allow the media free rein? Let them get after Neil Craig or Goddard or The Saints...

If true that is disgusting, pissweak and an absolute joke. If anyone wanted to do that near where I sit they wouldn't be sitting near me for long.

Come on now GofaGun, don't take things so literally.

My point was to suggest that many people invest emotionally in their football club. It hardly bears comparison to the mundane aspects of life. I've been going to watch the Dees for 25 years. There's probably posters on here who can double that tally. Year in, year out we head to the G and cheer our boys on with our friends and families, in the hope that one day we might see some red and blue ribbons around the cup. I'd love that to happen just once in my lifetime.

It would be nice to have players at the club who feel the same way.

Mercenaries can pi$$ off as far as I'm concerned.

Look it wasn't directed solely at you, I just thought I'd try to bring a bit of reality back into this forum so people stop getting so consumed by this one thing and perhaps can all take a collective breath.

Jimmy and co have done a fantastic job steadying our ship and building for the future.

We have all trusted him to do it right and he has. Perhaps we should be trusting the club again that they are handling everything right, just not in the public domain...

A little more faith in the club, a little less drama on demonland...

If true that is disgusting, pissweak and an absolute joke. If anyone wanted to do that near where I sit they wouldn't be sitting near me for long.

I watched the reply tonight and there was certainly some booing coming through the affects mike.....