The Tom Scully Saga

I was interested that Garry said that he met with Tom to discuss a business interest Tom has that Garry has experience with. If I had signed a contract with GWS, I certainly wouldn't be having lunches with a Melbourne great discuss mutual business interests. But that is just me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in regards to the article... Bailey said the right thing, he believes Tom will be a 13 year player. It allows Tom to gain the belief that the club trusts him, and even if he is going to go it puts him in a spot of extreme betrayal.

If Bailey had said anything other then the fact that he was confident, then scully will feel like an outsider. Somebody who not even the coach will put trust in. The last thing we want!!!!

And the other thing.... Perhaps scully and his manager are putting off contracts, so that the Melbourne Football Department will go into a state of panic and put on a pay rise in a bid for him to stay. If this is the case.... then i'd say smart move by scully...

FFS, trying to type on a train with an Iphone is not easy!!!!! Never used the word fact, so nit-pick away

People rarely say 'this is fact' - they say it the way you did - with a declaration like "he is gone."

If you meant - my interpretation is that he is gone then say "my interpretation is that he is gone."

cant name names but had a chat with a prominant afl person at the weekend, and stated that MFC were desperatley trying to arrange a big money deal to keep him but cant afford it. the club are seething as they want it out in the open but until his contract ends their hands are tied. they want Scully to front up but wont. look to be honest i really hope its not true and refuse to believe it but if he was staying he'd just say it, like other players that have throughout the season. lets hope this person is wrong

For what reason would AFL officials need to be privy to ongoing negotiations between Scully's management and MFC?

What was Garry's Body Language like....Was he uneasy (trying to look away?) If he knows something, but said no comment you would easily see it. At the Same time if he was truthful and really doesn't know, it would be easy to tell.

Garry would hear a lot from the MFC walls...If he doesn't know, nor does anyone thus far IMO.

Carro asked him 'what did you talk about' and he turned around, stared at her and replied 'Life'. He knew the question was coming and didn't give anything away.

That said, Hutchy did ask him that if Tom came to him for advice, what would his advice be, and his instant reply was actually emotional, came out with 'For god's sake stay!'

Guest Artie Bucco

Great post Tarzan.

I really like the imagery of the club scrambling to "desperately" find a way to give Scully a big money deal, when the salary cap is in place and they'd have known for a long time what they could and couldn't offer him.

It's not like they'll find a wad of cash under an old premiership cup, with a little-known clause attached allowing us to pay it to him outside of the cap.

If it means we have to lose a player like Bate or Dunn, so we dont have their salary included in the cap, we will do it.

We'll trade Bate, Dunn, Warnock & our 1st round pick for Mark Blake if need be (assuming he's on a lower salary).

christ, am i back at school??? Spelling and Grammar corrections on DEMONLAND!!! typo Bush Demon, no spellcheck, you'll survive though!!!

i dont usually mix in prominant afl circles, just last saturday, but this person has a high regard in footy circles as a champion player and a champion bloke. never said it was fact, just expressing what i heard, we're all worried about the scully situation and are allowed to comment. lets hope for MFC that its all a load of S*&t and he stays. The AFL should be held accountable for giving GWS to tempt players like Sculls with wads of cash, give clubs like us with poor finaces no chance.

As Oscar Wilde would have said, (apologies to Monty Python), "There is only one thing worse than correcting a spelling error and that is being corrected for correcting a spelling error".

Here's my factoids, in any order:

1. The delay in reaching a decision will pump up Scully's contract value;

2. Scully has made an 'in-principle' commitment to the Dees with his earlier press conference.

3. This in-principle commitment can be over-ridden if Big Kev can get his mits on our Tom.

4. Tom's number one priority is to believe he can play in a premiership team.

5. MFC's premiership window has never been this good with our beautiful list.

6. Jimmy Stynes is the numero uno man manager and having him at the head of our organisation gives us the edge in retaining our player.

7. The media-frenzy is again building up and may hasten a decision. Last Saturday what

s-his-name Maclure said on ABC774 that if our Tom hadn't signed in four weeks he would be gone.

Guest Artie Bucco

Mark McClure is one of the bigger idiots in the football media.

I cant take anything he says seriously.

As Oscar Wilde would have said, (apologies to Monty Python), "There is only one thing worse than correcting a spelling error and that is being corrected for correcting a spelling error".

Here's my factoids, in any order:

1. The delay in reaching a decision will pump up Scully's contract value;

2. Scully has made an 'in-principle' commitment to the Dees with his earlier press conference.

3. This in-principle commitment can be over-ridden if Big Kev can get his mits on our Tom.

4. Tom's number one priority is to believe he can play in a premiership team.

5. MFC's premiership window has never been this good with our beautiful list.

6. Jimmy Stynes is the numero uno man manager and having him at the head of our organisation gives us the edge in retaining our player.

7. The media-frenzy is again building up and may hasten a decision. Last Saturday what

s-his-name Maclure said on ABC774 that if our Tom hadn't signed in four weeks he would be gone.

correcting grammar and spelling is irrelevant, but anyway, i like your points there, i hope he stays, god he was good the other day, hope he has a field day on monday, win or lose

I really like the imagery of the club scrambling to "desperately" find a way to give Scully a big money deal, when the salary cap is in place and they'd have known for a long time what they could and couldn't offer him.

It's not like they'll find a wad of cash under an old premiership cup, with a little-known clause attached allowing us to pay it to him outside of the cap.

I must've just dreamt that Judd is Visy environmental ambassador then eh?

I must've just dreamt that Judd is Visy environmental ambassador then eh?

Yeah, I 'm sure the board will be exploring any avenues similar to that.

We may have fewer fans but ours our connected and can certainly do something similar to the BS that Carlton pulled for Judd.

Edited by rpfc

We may have fewer fans but ours our connected and can certainly do something similar to the BS that Carlton pulled for Judd.

If I were the club I would be getting a cashed up member/s with plenty of coin spare to make a 'donation' to Casey Council. They would then be able to make Tom the MFC 'ambassador' to Casey. Problem solved. Tom is from the area so its a good fit IMO.

Personally I'm not sure whether GWS care if they sign him or not. As long as his contract hurts us they'll just come hunting again next year. Watts, Trengove, Gysberts all out of contract. Let the games begin.

Personally I'm not sure whether GWS care if they sign him or not. As long as his contract hurts us they'll just come hunting again next year. Watts, Trengove, Gysberts all out of contract. Let the games begin.

Gysberts signed for 2 this year, he is out of their reach. Trenners will stay if Tapscott stays. Watts is in their reach & may be a target, I think he'd rather stay in Melbourne. You never know I guess.

if we had the ability to do that chris Judd would be wearing no.3 and skipper of the MFC

if we had the ability to do that chris Judd would be wearing no.3 and skipper of the MFC

We are a completely different club now, both on the ground and off. Don't underestimate howhaving a personality like Stynes in charge can open doors that would be normally locked tight. Stynes' background through 'Reach' is all about getting into the pockets of the rich and wealthy, he is the most ideal person to be in charge for this period with the two new clubs comin gin trying to poach players.

Great post Tarzan.

If it means we have to lose a player like Bate or Dunn, so we dont have their salary included in the cap, we will do it.

We'll trade Bate, Dunn, Warnock & our 1st round pick for Mark Blake if need be (assuming he's on a lower salary).

AGAIN, i'm only going on what i heard. Never assumed there was a pot of gold we could unearth under a premiership cup.

Breaking it down, to get through unscathed, we only really have to sign 2 players in 2010 and 4 players in 2011.

If any players outside those mentioned below were to be lured away, it would SUCK, but it wouldn't effect the projectory of the list in my opinion.

2010:

- Scully

- Sylvia

2011:

- Garland

- Jamar

- Jurrah

- Trengove

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767361

Jarka says most of it below but I will add that there is a difference between having those supporters and being able to tap into their clout.

We have had them, but only when Jimmy came with his impressive board have we been able to do the latter.

We are a completely different club now, both on the ground and off. Don't underestimate howhaving a personality like Stynes in charge can open doors that would be normally locked tight. Stynes' background through 'Reach' is all about getting into the pockets of the rich and wealthy, he is the most ideal person to be in charge for this period with the two new clubs comin gin trying to poach players.

cant name names but had a chat with a prominant afl person at the weekend, and stated that MFC were desperatley trying to arrange a big money deal to keep him but cant afford it. the club are seething as they want it out in the open but until his contract ends their hands are tied. they want Scully to front up but wont. look to be honest i really hope its not true and refuse to believe it but if he was staying he'd just say it, like other players that have throughout the season. lets hope this person is wrong

If this is infact set in stone truth the MFC should be playing Tom at Casey till the year is out.

I do not believe anything is signed yet on either side. A prominent AFL person would love Sculls to go up north....it would help the AFL pay the bills they have now created.

If this is infact set in stone truth the MFC should be playing Tom at Casey till the year is out.

There's a sure way to make him sign!!