The Tom Scully Saga

It's good that you believe in Tom but I believe your view is very simplistic.

I don't share it for reasons outlined in my posts. It would be nice to live in a vaccuum where nothing impacts negatively on anything else. But we don't.

I get simplistic on the deceit angle. Because the argument that Tom is a traitor is also a 'simple' argument.

If you think Tome has signed for GWS, you think he is a liar.

Simple, but true.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm sure Tom is absolutely sweating now that Jon Ralph has turned up the heat. :rolleyes:

This.

I'm sure he's not sweating either, but this article is the first that has really put focus on his character, and how he will be perceived should he leave based on the comments he has made previously.

I'm expecting no response to this from the Scully camp at all, but interesting to see a closer scrutinity and focus on his character should he leave.

:rolleyes:

GC17 had a full-house by comparison. Bikini-clad girls as you step out of your beach front condo for a morning run. Now that IS worth an extra ace!

I'm not panicked. I just believe in swift, decisive action rather than pussyfooting around.

I also believe in setting precedents whereby other players on our list don't put us through this again.

Players did not go to GC17 for the lifestyle - it was money.

Players are considering GWS because of the money.

Swift decisive action and players not putting us through this again ???? come into the real world of football contract negotiations any time you are ready. The only reason we are all so panicked is because GWS is transparent in their aim to attract players. However players putting us "through this" has been happening for ever and a day and will not stop, especially with the advent of FA. There was a Collingwood offer on the table for Brad Green which is why his last contract took so long to negotiate. Cloke to Essendon the year before last, Pavlich's negotiations of his contracts. Players in demand will put clubs "through this". Its called contract negotiations on a wanted commodity.

It panned across him for a second.

And he didn't look any different to the other blokes.

Reading way too much into things, here guy and gals.

Yeah, when he copped blurred vision due to the excessive Powerade being thrown around whilst trying to sing the song with gusto.

Swift decisive action and players not putting us through this again ???? come into the real world of football contract negotiations any time you are ready. The only reason we are all so panicked is because GWS is transparent in their aim to attract players. However players putting us "through this" has been happening for ever and a day and will not stop, especially with the advent of FA. There was a Collingwood offer on the table for Brad Green which is why his last contract took so long to negotiate. Cloke to Essendon the year before last, Pavlich's negotiations of his contracts. Players in demand will put clubs "through this". Its called contract negotiations on a wanted commodity.

This is a different kettle of fish to run-of-the-mill contract negotiations due to the possibility of compensation.

How will you feel if we wait until it's too late at the end of the season and the AFL says, "we've already come to a decision on that matter and we're giving you an extra second round draft pick as compensation for losing Tom".

What if we can start lobbying the AFL now for compensation and possibly receive something better, maybe a top 10 or even a top 3 pick?

And this says nothing of the constant media circus surrounding this issue that does nothing for any party involved (except create a stir for GWS).

The MFC needs to take care of its interests first. Tom's second.

And you truly do have your head buried in the sand if you think lifestyle is not a factor (among many) to go elsewhere.

Im sure there ARE those that might prefer training in the milder weather of a Sth Qld Winter than the rain and wind of Melbourne's !!

Yes...all very classic Sheedy-esque Seagull and Martian speak.

What do you take from that :

I havent spoken to him, I dont do contracts, cant say if anyone else at clubs has or hasnt.. Well blow me down thats all cleared up !! lol

Sheeds does make the point you wouldnt want to contract ( to early ) a player who might carry injuries. Perhaps theyve been waiting to see how well Scully recovers(ered ) from his knee niggles.:rolleyes:

Sheeds said everything and nothing.

Thats Sheedy :)

Yes...all very classic Sheedy-esque Seagull and Martian speak.

What do you take from that :

I havent spoken to him, I dont do contracts, cant say if anyone else at clubs has or hasnt.. Well blow me down thats all cleared up !! lol

Sheeds does make the point you wouldnt want to contract ( to early ) a player who might carry injuries. Perhaps theyve been waiting to see how well Scully recovers(ered ) from his knee niggles.:rolleyes:

Sheeds said everything and nothing.

Thats Sheedy :)

He bleated at a Crown function that they have "got the midfielder we were after". Then contradicts that by saying it would be stupid to sign anyone.

IE: Sheeds is being cagey, dishonest, or senile or my preference, a combination of the three. He and Gubby are playing games.

He bleated at a Crown function that they have "got the midfielder we were after". Then contradicts that by saying it would be stupid to sign anyone.

IE: Sheeds is being cagey, dishonest, or senile or my preference, a combination of the three. He and Gubby and playing games.

They have a sack full of $9 million...so they can say whatever they like in reality :lol:

IE: Sheeds is being cagey, dishonest, or senile or my preference, a combination of the three. He and Gubby are playing games.

Of course they are...This is surprising because ??? lol

Hes as good as Gawn! Dont wanna see him in red and blue again. If you are not willing to decide straight away you dont deserve to be at the club. I would not play him for the remainder of the year. Not in AFL, VFL, VFL2. ANYWHERE!

This post was in Jon Ralph's blog on this morning's HS site.

"Demon from Hell of North Western Australia Posted at 3:38 AM Today

GWS , have got Rich ,Walker and Palmer . Rich is the gun Sheedys talking about, Scully is a furphy, remember I wrote this , on this day,,,there are some yher decent ones , on his list ( Bate has beeen talking with them, Morton as well, Warnock will go, there from Melbourne, others are from WCE, Bulldogs,Essondon and one suprise from Carlton and Collingwood."

I hope this person knows as much as they appear to. Losing Morton would be a shame but I have no confidence that he will reach the heights that many say he will. I have also heard a rumour that Bate was planning to chuck it in at the end of this season and pursue his musical interests, especially if he couldn't get a regular game. He is certainly playing like he doesn't really care too much. I could easily cope with the above scenario if it meant that Scully stays.

This post was in Jon Ralph's blog on this morning's HS site.

"Demon from Hell of North Western Australia Posted at 3:38 AM Today

GWS , have got Rich ,Walker and Palmer . Rich is the gun Sheedys talking about, Scully is a furphy, remember I wrote this , on this day,,,there are some yher decent ones , on his list ( Bate has beeen talking with them, Morton as well, Warnock will go, there from Melbourne, others are from WCE, Bulldogs,Essondon and one suprise from Carlton and Collingwood."

I hope this person knows as much as they appear to. Losing Morton would be a shame but I have no confidence that he will reach the heights that many say he will. I have also heard a rumour that Bate was planning to chuck it in at the end of this season and pursue his musical interests, especially if he couldn't get a regular game. He is certainly playing like he doesn't really care too much. I could easily cope with the above scenario if it meant that Scully stays.

That would be a pretty good result. A little list un-clogging and a pick or two as compo that could be amalgamated into something.

A win-Win.

that blokes got bloody good eyesight from all the way over there !!! :)

Guest Artie Bucco

This has Gubby Allen's fingerprints all over it.

In Nathan Buckley's autobiography, Gubby Allen is directly quoted about his strategy to get Buckley to Collingwood.

Here are some that I have copied directly out of the book.

I thought: 'How are we gonna stop him from going to North?' We had to somehow extricate him from the contract with the Kangaroos. The only way I could see us having a chance of getting him was if I created mayhem. That was my job for twelve months. I spent virtually all my time on getting Nathan Buckley to Collingwood. I said to Gerard Sholly, our recruiting manager: 'We need to get Bucks a fake manager.' Gerard said: 'We'll get Simon Kerry.'

Simon was a mate of his, and I knew him too - he was a recruiting bloke for us out in the Western Border league, based in Mount Gambier. I said: 'He's perfect.' I had Simon ringing Andy Ireland and Greg Miller and pushing the Collingwood line.

I was making stuff up over the phone for Simon to tell them! He'd go back in there and tell them, and then he'd come back and say: 'Now what?'

There's heaps more. He likes to play mind games.

Bucks never knew much about what was going on behind closed doors, and I deliberately didn't tell him any of that stuff. I just kept reassuring him: 'Everything's sweet; you'll be at Collingwood.' I had to keep him content because the last thing I wanted was for Bucks to get nervous and think: 'This won't happen.' I wanted him to think it was easy to get to Collingwood, even though it wasn't.

And for those that don't think Mike Sheahan is at all influenced in what he reports on Scully:

I answered the phone and a voice said: 'G'day, Mike, it's Bucks.' I hadn't even met him and here he was announcing himself using his nickname. And he spoke to me like he was older than me. He said: 'We're considering this other offer from Geelong.' I thought it was a great story, and we ran it as our back-page lead. It was only later I found out I'd been sucked in. They'd breached the rules, so they'd created this diversion. I wasn't really happy to be used as a media pawn.

I told Bucks to do it. Mike was one of my mates, and he was filthy on me. I denied it for about 5 years. Mike would say: 'You got me on that one,' and I'd say: 'Mate, I'd never do that to you.' I believed I had a five-year amnesty with our friendship!

After another very ordinary display by our beloved Dee's, he may think his best option is nth of the border, and good luck to him if it sets him up. I personally want him to stay like all other Dee supporters, but except for the (very) occasional good performance why would you stay and play with a club that takes one step forward and ten backward on the playing field

Assuming GWS will be similar to GWS, GWS will be doing worse than we are.

We might have got spanked by Collingwood, but you might be forgetting we also belted GC by about the same margin (and Adelaide too).

Guest Artie Bucco

Does anyone think, if Scully hasn't yet signed, that articles like Ralph's today only help our cause?

With tag lines like "Will Tom be called a TRAITOR?" it would give him a nice little preview of how he'll be regarded if he does go.

Does anyone think, if Scully hasn't yet signed, that articles like Ralph's today only help our cause?

With tag lines like "Will Tom be called a TRAITOR?" it would give him a nice little preview of how he'll be regarded if he does go.

Probably not. It's one club's group of supporters you have to put with sh!tcanning you for two, maybe four hours a year.

Not a huge consideration I would've thought. And with only two years at the MFC under his belt (a la Buckley/Brisbane), he hasn't really become part of the fabric yet.

Guest Artie Bucco

But Buckley has been branded FIGJAM and a deserter from Brisbane, and that stigma, although faded, still remains.

It would tarnish his legacy and his brand, if he cares at all about that.

I firmly believe he'll stay anyway, but I'm just interested in the perception of the effect these things would have.

I know many on here skim over AB's posts, as he is as subtle as meat mallet, but one above is a beauty.

Graeme Allen is a brilliant strategist and incredibly deviant.

I believe he is the cause of Schwarta's 'percentile' and Sheahan's views too.

We need to not get carried away.

Edited by rpfc