Time for Howe

tonatopia

Guest Artie Bucco

"Things must be getting boring"??

Jordie McKenzie is much more likely to provide the kind of spark we need.

I haven't seen him play at all, has anyone on here been down to Casey and watched him closely?

Have only seen a couple of Youtube Clips.

First Thoughts...Potential Gun???

I have seen him play twice, WYL, and I reckon he is one of those players who will make a smooth and quick transition into AFL standard football. He already has a large enough build, he can kick very well on both sides of his body, but it is his contested marking nouse that stands out. He not only knows how to jump, hold off his opponent etc.. but he seems to know WHEN to do these things. Cook is showing simiklar strengths. Howe may struggle against backmen like Scarlett or Fletcher but then so do most others.

I know Jordie will make an instant impact on intensity in our side, but I reckon with the excessive inconsistency being shown by many in our team, together with our injuries means people like Howe, Tom McDonald (who also looks ready)Blease, and even Gawn need to be considered, along with Evans and Nicholson when they are hopefully placed onto the main list due to long term injuries.

I have seen him play twice, WYL, and I reckon he is one of those players who will make a smooth and quick transition into AFL standard football. He already has a large enough build, he can kick very well on both sides of his body, but it is his contested marking nouse that stands out. He not only knows how to jump, hold off his opponent etc.. but he seems to know WHEN to do these things. Cook is showing simiklar strengths. Howe may struggle against backmen like Scarlett or Fletcher but then so do most others.

I know Jordie will make an instant impact on intensity in our side, but I reckon with the excessive inconsistency being shown by many in our team, together with our injuries means people like Howe, Tom McDonald (who also looks ready)Blease, and even Gawn need to be considered, along with Evans and Nicholson when they are hopefully placed onto the main list due to long term injuries.

Thanks so much for that. After watching Jack Darling rip it up over the last few weeks, i don't feel bad now.

Yes it is time now (or very soon) to give these kids there chance, they are our future leaders.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him come in this week.

When we start making finals it won't be as easy to blood the youngsters.

This year we can still think about development. Get 5-10 games into Howe, Blease, Strauss, Gawn and Evans. Wouldn't even mind giving a taste of senior footy to McDonald, Cook and Nicholson even though they're all a few years away

I haven't seen him play at all, has anyone on here been down to Casey and watched him closely?

Have only seen a couple of Youtube Clips.

First Thoughts...Potential Gun???

I saw him for the first time last week..... and thought he was terrific.

We know from the Youtube footage that he can really take a grab ... but what impressed me on Sunday was his ability to cover the ground, his clean hands at ground level and his skills on both sides of his body. With Dunn out I wouldn't hesitate to debut him this week.

The Phantom ( who is gawn) dominated the ruck and got some critical possessions in the 3rd quarter. If he can just put on a few pounds and get the confidence to throw away that knee bandage, he could be a real force ..... and Blease showed his ability to break the lines with pace and long direct kicking.

Most of the Melbourne listed players did something on Sunday - I reckon Gotch's summaries on the mfc website were pretty spot on.

I saw him for the first time last week..... and thought he was terrific.

We know from the Youtube footage that he can really take a grab ... but what impressed me on Sunday was his ability to cover the ground, his clean hands at ground level and his skills on both sides of his body. With Dunn out I wouldn't hesitate to debut him this week.

The Phantom ( who is gawn) dominated the ruck and got some critical possessions in the 3rd quarter. If he can just put on a few pounds and get the confidence to throw away that knee bandage, he could be a real force ..... and Blease showed his ability to break the lines with pace and long direct kicking.

Most of the Melbourne listed players did something on Sunday - I reckon Gotch's summaries on the mfc website were pretty spot on.

Cheers....The Future still sounds ok...The elusive 13th is still within reach. Losing to Nought Melbourne really takes it out of me. Being beaten by such irrellevence!!

I think we have a genuine solution to one of our forward problems in Howe. We dont have anyone to stand the square at present. Quite frankly Bate has run out of positives and suspect he'll figure less and less in any future of Melbourne. ( btw...this years a good year to unload him if ever..maybe some value..but lets do the Melbourne thing and wait TOO long ) I digress.

Howe is a bit Robertson-esque but with the bonus of real and genuine second efforts. Theres a trend currently away from the FF necessarily being some limited beanpole. Wha tHowe lacks ( slightly ) in staure he certainly makes up for in vertical proess. Heres someone who really can present and make the grabs stick. Im inclined to feel hed add quite another dimension to our attck thats sorely missing currently. He too , like Watts and Jurrah can easily move upfield when required. These three could be the makings of a very lethal and highly mobile forward group..

Yep...lets see what the Howe boy can do :)

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him come in this week.

When we start making finals it won't be as easy to blood the youngsters.

This year we can still think about development. Get 5-10 games into Howe, Blease, Strauss, Gawn and Evans. Wouldn't even mind giving a taste of senior footy to McDonald, Cook and Nicholson even though they're all a few years away

Totally agree with this as a principle. However it will mean some Dees "regulars" making way to allow the youngsters those 5-10 games x 5, and I can't see the selectors doing that. More's the pity.

Yes but problem is who do you play full forward. small leading types like Petterd are not suited to the dome where low stab passes always seem to get cut off.

We plonk Juice at full forward and he does very well then thrown into the ruck. So I can't see why we wouldn't play Juice and perhaps bring ni a ruckman.

otherwise if you play Juice and Howe I can see us with a team of lost looking players not playing to their strengths.

leave Juice up forward for another week and see how we go.

Howe is a bit Robertson-esque but with the bonus of real and genuine second efforts. Theres a trend currently away from the FF necessarily being some limited beanpole. Wha tHowe lacks ( slightly ) in staure he certainly makes up for in vertical proess. Heres someone who really can present and make the grabs stick. Im inclined to feel hed add quite another dimension to our attck thats sorely missing currently. He too , like Watts and Jurrah can easily move upfield when required. These three could be the makings of a very lethal and highly mobile forward group..

So glad you put the second part of that sentence in.

He is a mature body, he jumps at the footy with intent, has a good boot and from all accounts has footy smarts.

Deserves a look I think.

and with any luck he cant play any muscial instrument what soever :rolleyes:

I think we have a genuine solution to one of our forward problems in Howe. We dont have anyone to stand the square at present. Quite frankly Bate has run out of positives and suspect he'll figure less and less in any future of Melbourne. ( btw...this years a good year to unload him if ever..maybe some value..but lets do the Melbourne thing and wait TOO long ) I digress.

Yep...lets see what the Howe boy can do :)

Thanks for that assessment Bub, we have our fingers (toes and everything else) crossed :) !!!

Impressive on youtube. Must go down to Casey and take a peak.

Reminds me more of Jack Reiwoldt with a bigger leap.

Out Dunn....In Howe. Like it was meant to be!

G. Lyon was about his build (skinny wise) when he first started seniors.

Go GO GO! Don't waste him in the Magoos. Nothing to lose. Time to get some senior games into him. Rotate off the bench with Juice/Jurrah/Petterd as required. Ease him into it. Oh, not including Watts in there. Half back for me for a while. Learn how to crash packs etc..BANG...WATTS! :)

Something to look forward to. He gonna be a lil ripper!!! YAHOOOO!!

Edited by Rusty Nails