MFC players on Twitter could say alot

Guest 36DD

Guest 36DD

I would say that one area we lead the AFL is in the Twitter stakes.

Myself, I find Twitter terribly self indulgent and narcicistic and screams i'm just happy to be here.

So who do we have on Twitter: Jones, Green, Watts, Frawley, Morton, Spencer, Petterd, Blease, Newton, Trengove, Sylvia, Tapscott.

Maybe i'm old school but i would love our players to not become immersed in all this celebrity bulltish and just focus on just playin good, hard, honest footy.

Do we have the most players in the AFL on twitter?

Guest 36DD

I like it because it is a way that we can have some interaction with the players. Is a non issue IMO

I'd much rather em focus on winning games of footy myself, couldn't give a stuff what they had for dinner

I reckon its endemic of a happy to be here culture which exists at the MFC

Edited by 36DD

Myself, I find Twitter terribly self indulgent and narcicistic and screams i'm just happy to be here.

So who do we have on Twitter: Jones, Green, Watts, Frawley, Morton, Spencer, Petterd, Blease, Newton, Trengove, Sylvia, Tapscott.

For someone who finds Twitter "terribly self indulgent" and "narcicistic" [sic], you sure seem to know a lot about which MFC players use it.

Also, if you think we're losing because Jonesy tweets, then you're barking waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy up the wrong tree.

Well it goes 2 ways really. From what i gather, someone had a real go at Nathan Jones a couple of weeks ago after the Hawthorn game. Imagine what the followers are going to say tonight!!! Criticism is warranted after such a woeful display tonight. All talk, then not even a whimper come the bounce of the ball. There is a boundary that shouldn't be crossed, as the players go out of their way to interact, but FCS, the boundary is disappearing after a performance like tonight.

Guest 36DD

For someone who finds Twitter "terribly self indulgent" and "narcicistic" [sic], you sure seem to know a lot about which MFC players use it.

Also, if you think we're losing because Jonesy tweets, then you're barking waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy up the wrong tree.

You get a slow clap for being so predictable...i knew that sort of response was coming...followed the link from the MFC website to jonesy's then saw who he were communicating with...you may be some football tragic who is happy to know how many pieces of toilet paper a player uses to wipe their ass but i'm not...got a life myself

Your so clever with your response and seem to have a handle on this twitter thing why dont you come back with how many players at melbourne use twitter compared with other teams. Given Melbournes culture i reckon we would be up there

You get a slow clap for being so predictable...i knew that sort of response was coming...followed the link from the MFC website to jonesy's then saw who he were communicating with...you may be some football tragic who is happy to know how many pieces of toilet paper a player uses to wipe their ass but i'm not...got a life myself

Have I entered the Twilight zone or something? You're the one who named all the players that use Twitter, and I'm the tragic whatever? With the exception of Jones whose use is well documented, I had no idea which players used Twitter until your highly informative, well considered post.

Your so clever with your response and seem to have a handle on this twitter thing why dont you come back with how many players at melbourne use twitter compared with other teams. Given Melbournes culture i reckon we would be up there

I'd just like you to remind you again that you're the one who seems to know all about it as per your OP.

I hope others found your response as amusing as I did :)

Guest 36DD

Have I entered the Twilight zone or something? You're the one who named all the players that use Twitter, and I'm the tragic whatever? With the exception of Jones whose use is well documented, I had no idea which players used Twitter until your highly informative, well considered post.

I'd just like you to remind you again that you're the one who seems to know all about it as per your OP.

I hope others found your response as amusing as I did :)

Dude you describe yourself as a geek and are a primary administrator all arrows point to you knowing more about than i do, shot down mate, zero credibility now, oh I only know about jones' absolute crap, u even have to hide behind lies on a faceless football forum, pathetic

Edited by 36DD

Maybe i'm old school but i would love our players to not become immersed in all this celebrity bulltish and just focus on just playin good, hard, honest footy.

you might aswell just ban em from going out, watching tv, having a [censored], or rooting theer missus serious who gives a flyig [censored] if they use twitter, half of collingwoods list use it and doesn't seem to affect them

ffs!

Edited by dazzledavey36

Firstly, Twitter is tremendously underutilised on all fronts by most people, including the OP. It is a showcase of opinion, and is not actually meant to be used to tell people what you're doing. It's more a genuine portable discussion forum. It's awesome if you know how to use it. It allows you to make a quick, short statement, tag it, and get responses from complete randoms. If you don't feel like talking to people outside your scope, then I could understand how you wouldn't like it.

Anyway, I assume the players will be rather diplomatic in their Tweets. Always have been most of the time. Although Colin Sylvia needs to go over high school English again. All of it.

Guest 36DD

Firstly, Twitter is tremendously underutilised on all fronts by most people, including the OP. It is a showcase of opinion, and is not actually meant to be used to tell people what you're doing. It's more a genuine portable discussion forum. It's awesome if you know how to use it. It allows you to make a quick, short statement, tag it, and get responses from complete randoms. If you don't feel like talking to people outside your scope, then I could understand how you wouldn't like it.

Anyway, I assume the players will be rather diplomatic in their Tweets. Always have been most of the time. Although Colin Sylvia needs to go over high school English again. All of it.

I understand how it can involve people in discussion ala qanda and also political implications through its role in the overthrowing of governments in the middle east, but I find sports stars and celebs use of it extremely self indulgent, maybe its my limited understanding of it

Guest Gotzy15

The first 5 posts or so on this thread are just absolutely spot on the money.

Twitter is a self indulgent celebrity thing with mostly irrelevant information and i agree i would much rather see our players playing good hard honest footy for eachother rather than indulging in that crap and being like movie stars. Clearly they are happy to talk the talk on twitter but not walk the walk on the park. I think after tonights performance either Jimmy or bails should make a stand and put it to the players. Anyone who wants to keep tweeting will not play next week against adelaide end of story. Im deadly serious.Lets be just as harsh on a shocking on field performance as we were with beamers off field discretion a couple of weeks ago

Guest 36DD

you might aswell just ban em from going out, watching tv, having a [censored], or rooting theer missus serious who gives a flyig [censored] if they use twitter, half of collingwoods list use it and doesn't seem to affect them

ffs!

mate i dont want to ban them from living their lives, i just dont see the need for them to spend their time telling us about their lives when they could be focusing on more important but less glamorous things

Edited by 36DD

You are showing your age. Twitter is just part of the scenery. It's a good and neccasary way to communicate with fans. No doubt people will use the same medium to communicate their displeasure after nights like tonight, so there is one way to help the club and players re-focus.

I know you are an administrator but you will back Melbourne up every chance you get. It is a fair point if you have the AFL live app for iPhone and select Melbourne as your team you see all there tweets. So its not hard to know who is on there if you follow Melbourne. Doesn't scroll back far enough but there was a tweet from a started 22 player 5 hours before the game stating him and 4 other players were at the movies watching Tron??? is than the sort of prep you want b4 a massive game? I know I often come outta the movies feeling tired. Jones on the other hand tweeted at the same time he just plugged the ipod in and was starting to get pumped for a massive game" that is what you want. Just didn't like hearing that tweet pregame, signs were bad.

IMO Twitter is great, if your Paris Hilton. Dont really think its the go for apparently hard at it footballers.

Twitter nerd.

Guest 36DD

Alright, results are in, hopefully they will support my hypothesis, though it could be flimsy at best. I jumped on the AFLPA website to see which players had twitter accounts. Some Melbourne players are not listed, I have included them (gawn, cook, trengove, tapscott), there may be some players from other clubs that aren't yet listed on the AFLPA website, laziness has seen me not include them i.e. cant be arsed trying to track them down...so for all the haters out there you have plenty of ammo.

Well the dees lead the twitter stakes with 18 players (gawn, cook, trengove, tapscott, watts, sylvia, spencer, rivers, petterd, newton, morton, moloney, jones, jamar, green, frawley, blease, bate).

the rest are Port 14, Carl 14, Gee 13, Pies 11, Suns 8, Richmond 8, North 7, Ess 5, Syd 5, Hawks 3, Freo 3

My whole point is I want the club and its players to focus on what is important, not all this fluff and marketing rubbish i.e. raising the flag. I loved this story Hird told Reimers if he wants to continue wearing bright coloured boots he will be wearing them in the twos. That is the sort of attitude I want at Melbourne.

Edited by 36DD

Guest Gotzy15

. I loved this story Hird told Reimers if he wants to continue wearing bright coloured boots he will be wearing them in the twos. That is the sort of attitude I want at Melbourne.

get them off facebook aswell, i dont know how many players have facebook, but i think that we will have a much larger amount than most clubs, so really ban that, ban all forms of internet communication and interaction, also, we should ban them doing interviews and articles on the melbourne fc site as we are getting too much information from these players, we should make an in club rule, those who are on twitter/facebook/myspace/any social media, should suffer an automatic club suspension and a $950 dollar fine. If they play for the mfc, they are not allowed a social life, or anything that resembles a personality and must be seen on the footy field and not heard.

Guest 36DD

get them off facebook aswell, i dont know how many players have facebook, but i think that we will have a much larger amount than most clubs, so really ban that, ban all forms of internet communication and interaction, also, we should ban them doing interviews and articles on the melbourne fc site as we are getting too much information from these players, we should make an in club rule, those who are on twitter/facebook/myspace/any social media, should suffer an automatic club suspension and a $950 dollar fine. If they play for the mfc, they are not allowed a social life, or anything that resembles a personality and must be seen on the footy field and not heard.

dude stop being so dramatic, nothing was said about not allowing them to have a social life, just wish they would focus on more pertinent things

dude stop being so dramatic, nothing was said about not allowing them to have a social life, just wish they would focus on more pertinent things

i was being sarcastic, let them have twitter, we arent china, no censorship here, sure if he was twittering during the match i would be very worried, unless of course he wasnt playing, but what he does when he has his spare time is his choice?

i think aswell the age of the fellas is something that opens them to a lot of social media, for communication between one another aswell

Edited by Mad_Melbourne