Michael Newton

Big Sexc

completely agree. but he got rookied, and i think that was a real rocket up his bum, and spoke to him before the season started and he said himself he'd been a lazy footballer and would kill to have another chance. it seem he's matured with age, but remember he had fairly high hopes of being the David Neitz replacement when he came to the club.

Not saying he'll set the world on fire, but he seems a logical inclusion for a deep target for structure, whereas Bater is that leadup which Dunny seems to playing at the moment.

That's an interesting conversation you had with him. His early form at Casey confirms he is trying to turn things around. Certainly isn't too late. And, the FD obviously sees something that most of the armchair experts don't. Otherwise, they would have shown him the door long ago.

Would be a great story if he was able to make it, and would certainly make the forward structure a whole lot better.

Time will tell...!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the start of the year, it was pretty clear to me Newton was only re-rookied because of our dire need for ruck options.

Pre-season, the prospect was Jamar going down was frightening. Spenser and Gawn still years away from being competitive in the ruck, Martin coming off an horrific 2010... we were seriously bereft of options.

Newton is perfect back up for Martin in the 'back-up ruckman/versatile around the ground' position that has been created with the new ruck rule.

Campbell was brought in as a desperate attempt to give Jamar cover.

As long as Jamar and Martin are doing the job, Newton will stay in the vfl in my opinion. Newton's best chance of playing is to show he's a better option with Martin

agreed

I don't think he would necessiraliy only come in for Stef Martin. He is kicking goals in the VFL playing as a key forward, not as a utility ruckman. If the output from our bigger forwards doesn't increase and he continues to kick goals at VFL he should come in as a key forward. I don't think we would be too big at all.

One thing to remember is that Jamar only came good as a 26-27 year old. Newton has missed quite a lot of football in his time on our list and is 24 atm. His problem has never been a lack of talent, but atitude/effort. If he has matured and begun to apply himself as necessary, then he could be very valuable for the next 5 years.

I'm a believer and it appears those in the football department are to.

What ever happened to naming an unchanged winning team ?

Juice is like so many before him, cannot bridge the gap between VFL and AFL, will always be a good VFL player, but doesn't have the talent to consistently take the next step

What ever happened to naming an unchanged winning team ?

I'm not sure that has ever been the case. Bad policy. Every team can be improved by dropping out fo form players for in form players. I would hate to think our coaches have been happy with what we have been dishing up the last two weeks.

Collingwood *may* go through the year undefeated, but I bet they make many, many unforced changes to ensure good form is rewarded.

I'm not sure that has ever been the case. Bad policy. Every team can be improved by dropping out fo form players for in form players. I would hate to think our coaches have been happy with what we have been dishing up the last two weeks.

Point taken. But the main offenders in our average form has probably been the backline, the forwards have a terrific conversion rate Inside 50's/scoring shots, and lets face it, you really can't take last weeks form into account. Leave Juice at Casey, as others have stated the only position he could take would either be Stef or Killer and I don't agree with either of them missing out. If the FD was serious about bringing in Juice then play him down back next week at Casey (he played there in China) and put some pressure on the back 6

Point taken. But the main offenders in our average form has probably been the backline, the forwards have a terrific conversion rate Inside 50's/scoring shots, and lets face it, you really can't take last weeks form into account. Leave Juice at Casey, as others have stated the only position he could take would either be Stef or Killer and I don't agree with either of them missing out. If the FD was serious about bringing in Juice then play him down back next week at Casey (he played there in China) and put some pressure on the back 6

Bit simplistic.

The backline is overworked. They have to deal with too much footy down there.

The mids don't pressure the ball carrier.

The forwards have had trouble keeping the pill down in their half.

Blaming the defenders is unfair, they have been great for 2 years now, dealing with an awful midfield ahead of them and a selfish, lazy forward line.

I don't think he would necessiraliy only come in for Stef Martin. He is kicking goals in the VFL playing as a key forward, not as a utility ruckman. If the output from our bigger forwards doesn't increase and he continues to kick goals at VFL he should come in as a key forward. I don't think we would be too big at all.

One thing to remember is that Jamar only came good as a 26-27 year old. Newton has missed quite a lot of football in his time on our list and is 24 atm. His problem has never been a lack of talent, but atitude/effort. If he has matured and begun to apply himself as necessary, then he could be very valuable for the next 5 years.

I'm a believer and it appears those in the football department are to.

they must be a believer in Tom MacNamara too on that logic

Was he promoted to the senior list too?

you know he wasn't, but was surprisingly (to most punters) re listed on rookie list this year

the point is - you were using facile logic implying the fd don't make judgement mistakes, when in fact they make plenty every year, just as every other club's fd do, so saying the fd has confidence in player X is like a gain of salt to me

It's amazing how people who want to see Newton come in conveniently ignore the fact that every time he is brought into the side it is on the back of good VFL form, and every time he comes in he fails. Every time. Let me say that one more time, for those who choose not to think about it. Every time. That is why he plays 1-3 games and then goes back to Casey. That is why he was demoted to the rookie list. That is why he isn't in the side right now.

He is no good. Some VFL form doesn't change anything. He is not the future, he is the past. We need to move on, accept that he is not good enough, and think about playing those who will be there when we win our next flag. Jack Watts fits that category. Newton doesn't.

Bit simplistic.

The backline is overworked. They have to deal with too much footy down there.

The mids don't pressure the ball carrier.

The forwards have had trouble keeping the pill down in their half.

Blaming the defenders is unfair, they have been great for 2 years now, dealing with an awful midfield ahead of them and a selfish, lazy forward line.

Good call. That's exactly how I see it.

The midfield I'm not overly concerned about. They are adjusting to life without Junior who used to do half the running and tackling for them. McKenzie (tackling) and Scully (running) will be a huge boost. Bail, Gysberts and Trengove are all inexperienced in playing the most important position on the ground.

However, we'll be a much better side when we get a forward line who play with the courage and work rate of our backline. At the moment I don't think any of Jurrah, Green, Dunn or Watts do. Green's been getting his work rate up this year. He was trying to lead by doing the spectacular but I think has started to realise the simple stuff is more important. Jurrah lifted his defensive work and close observers will notice Watts' tackling has stepped up this year.

Back on topic. I'm all for Juice. Dunn's best form (and goals) came last year when he was played as a defensive forward capable of dragging an attacking HBF deep and using his height advantage. This year he's been played deep as a tall and I just don't think it's working. Juice has upped his work rate massively in the VFL and I think deserves a chance.

It's amazing how people who want to see Newton come in conveniently ignore the fact that every time he is brought into the side it is on the back of good VFL form, and every time he comes in he fails. Every time. Let me say that one more time, for those who choose not to think about it. Every time. That is why he plays 1-3 games and then goes back to Casey. That is why he was demoted to the rookie list. That is why he isn't in the side right now.

He is no good. Some VFL form doesn't change anything. He is not the future, he is the past. We need to move on, accept that he is not good enough, and think about playing those who will be there when we win our next flag. Jack Watts fits that category. Newton doesn't.

He was hardly a success last year. But he didn't exactly fail either. He was our best second ruck option but was hampered by repeat small injuries.

you know he wasn't, but was surprisingly (to most punters) re listed on rookie list this year

the point is - you were using facile logic implying the fd don't make judgement mistakes, when in fact they make plenty every year, just as every other club's fd do, so saying the fd has confidence in player X is like a gain of salt to me

I agree.

He was hardly a success last year. But he didn't exactly fail either. He was our best second ruck option but was hampered by repeat small injuries.

Indeed; on at least two occassions he was going to come into the side but got injured in the week before.

I agree.

Indeed; on at least two occassions he was going to come into the side but got injured in the week before.

Yeah I noticed this. Every time he is on the cusp of selection he seems to get injured or suspended. Who knows, maybe the grass is greener for him at Casey?

PLEAAAAAAAAASE NOT NEWTON!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Petterd, Petterd, Petterd,Petterd,Petterd

They play very different roles. One is a Key Position player who can ruck and plays tall,,, the other is a medium sized forward who can mark overhead, from a flank or pocket or wing/Rrover.

I never said that the FD didn't make mistakes. All I said was that I was in agreement with their deciscion to promote Newton from the rookie list (ie the FD and I still believe Newton has something to offer at AFl level). Only time will tell if it was a mistake or not.

I never said that the FD didn't make mistakes. All I said was that I was in agreement with their deciscion to promote Newton from the rookie list (ie the FD and I still believe Newton has something to offer at AFl level). Only time will tell if it was a mistake or not.

I agree time will tell and I would have thought being in his 7th year it had already told