My ideal 22 for 2011

Jack son 5

2011 golden rule.

Can't have Warnock, Rivers and MacDonald in the same backline.

Add Spencer into that list and you could have 4 out of your 22 with worse than suspect kicking. It's hard enough to carry one, let alone four.

Edited by FC Melbourne

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B: Bartram Warnock Garland

HB: Grimes Rivers Tapscott

C: Trengove Sylvia Bail

HF: Petterd Dunn Watts

FF: Jurrah Green Jetta

R: Jamar Scully Davey

INT: Moloney , Maric, MacDonald, Campbell/Spencer (incl a sub)

Emerg: Bennell, Jones, Morton (when fit), Gysberts

Presuming Tapscott is fit enough, McKenzie isn't and Frawley for Warnock ASAP. Neither Morton or Jones are best 22 for mine.

If McKenzie in, Bail to Interchange for Maric & with Frawley in, that would just about be my best 22, flat.

Smokeys? Blease, McDonald & Howe

batram chip garland

grimes rivers davey

jetta mckenzie scully

dunn watts pettard

maric green jurrah

jamar trengrove sylvia

jones moloney/bennell gysberts spencer

green must play ff all year, watts its still learning/growing. green has a hardened body, is a great mark , used to be the best kick in the game for goal. proven champion of the game. bate should be off to gws at years end. dunn did a great defensive job last year as well as kick some goals. as magic johnson once said about jordan ` not even he knows what he`s about to do` that goes for jurrah. a freak , and a massive headache for oppenents. if all forwards fire at once i want to be punt rd end level 2 with the redlegs.

if spencer is next in line then he must get game time. simple as that.

the midfield spots should be the most hotly contested this year, morton needs to start living up to the hype that surrounded his drafting.bennell bail strauss blease and co will be eyeing off moloney and jones. both who are getting a game on experience and their hardness as oppossed to their disposal.

we all had our views with the recent departures of mcclean bruce and mcdonald, not looking for an argument but i think in 2012 moloney may be on the out with all the young talent knocking on the door.

end of the day we need to adapt collingwoods mind set, as much as we hate them they are a mentallty strong side. every other side has a build up when they play them . every one wants to beat them. same went for the cats of recent years. time to harden up

Have we recruited Alwyn? ;)

i think id see davey playing in the guts.. i like the idea of getting him around the ball as much as possible.

FF: Jurrah Watts Maric

R: Jamar Scully Davey

INT: Moloney , Martin, Davey sub:Bail

Emerg: Bennell, Jetta, Tapscott

i just realised i forgot green :|

and i had two sylvias, i should learn to proof read

it was pretty similar you yours other than bate, and its pretty personal, i just do not like him haha

Have we recruited Alwyn? ;)

I think he is referring to you having picked Davey twice in your team

Is it just me, or is Wonna looking like he might struggle to get back in?

Think about it. Smaller goal sneak players have popped up such as Jetta, Maric and Bennell. On top of that Wonna has had some personal hardships to deal with which has hurt his preseason.

I think Wonna has a massive hill to climb, and the players ahead of him are becoming valuable to the 22 on a more consistent basis.

Wonna's a good player. If only he could play 22 rounds. He's footskills and vision to spot targets in forward 50's is one of the best. Not a thumping kick but always to advantage. Shot for goal is good too. With our need for a good kick down back, Wonna might be a good option for back pocket.

However you spin it, Wonna's in my best 22.

my 22 that i would like to see play by rd 22.

Tapscott Frawley Bartram

Grimes Rivers Garland

Davey Trengove Sylvia

Morton Watts Wonna

Green Jurrah Petterd

Jamar Scully McKenzie

Gysbert, Bennell,Moloney

SuB: Stef Martin

I try not to be too negative about a player and look for the positives, however, if Martin gets a game this year it just shows how much we are battling. He struggles in the ruck, Spencer shows more, and he is not a forward. If he plays, he should only be played as a defender, and that would be if we had heaps of injuries. I think that is the only place he has shown good signs, yet they insist on trying him other places. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it. (if you were at the game yesterday you would never pick him).

I think he is referring to you having picked Davey twice in your team

what a mess, never do a best 22 hungover and not thinking haha

Firstly Jetta and Aussie are totally different players. Assuming no more injuries next week we line up

Bartram Garland MacDonald

Grimes Rivers Bennell

Scully Sylvia Davey

Petterd Watts Dunn

Green Jurrah Maric

Jamar Moloney Trengove

Martin Jetta Jones

Sub Bail

Best 22

Bartram Frawley Garland

Grimes Rivers Bennell

Scully Sylvia Davey

Petterd Watts Dunn

Green Jurrah Maric

Jamar Moloney Trengove

Campbell, McKenzie, Gysberts

Sub Morton

Other players in the mix for best 22

Backs MacDonald

Mids/Bench Jones, Jetta, Bail

Small Forwards Aussie

Ruck Martin, Spencer

Big questions over Rivers and Jones. Good footballers but pace has past them buy.

Maric is ripe for at least 10 games on the trot. Along with Petterd,provides two potent goal kicking small forwards added to the three mobile tallish forward Watts/Jurrah/Dunn, plus one forward Utility from Jamar, Green, Sylvia, Trengove the forward line is a match winning one.

Martin is probably the best sub,(Back forward and ruck) but if Jamar goes down before Campbell ready, Spencer (purely ruck and a liability around ground)would be a better ruck than Martin.

I reckon they will bring Tapscott in as soon as possible to see how he goes.

Gysberts is not fast so will have to prove himself at Casey for at least 6 good games.

Jetta has earnt a go.(to my surprise)I thought he lacked pace but he's smart and tough.

Bartram, MacDonald, Warnock, Rivers wouldn't want to play to many bad games.

My smokey is Tom MacDonald by round 10 to replace one of the taller backs

My smokey is Tom MacDonald by round 10 to replace one of the taller backs

he looked really really rushed and uncomposed down there, hopefully this will improve, agree with most other points, apart from bartram, i think he is basically a walk up start, always beats his opponent, and stops a live wire forward from kicking goals.

Best 22

(R1 Injury Replacements)

B: Rivers Frawley (Warnock) Bartram

HB: Grimes Garland Strauss

C: Trengove Scully Bennell

HF: Jurrah Dunn Sylvia

F: Green Watts Pettard

Fol: Jamar Moloney Davey

I/C: Tapscott McKenzie Morton(Maric)

Sub: Spencer

E: Maric(Bail) Gysberts Bail

In the mix: Jones, Howe, Bail, Wona, Jetta, Bate, Martin, Warnock, Campbell

Depth Only: J Macdonald, Newton, McNamara

Developing at Casey: Blease, Cook, Davis, , Evans, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, Johnston, McDonald, Nicholson

General Notes

We are still essentially in development mode as we assemble and put games into the players who will form the core of our assault on MFC PS Nm 13. To that end Strauss and Tapscott come in with Maric very much in the mix. All 3 have shown good signs in the pre season and they are all good kicks of the footy.

Spencer and Martin are the obvious substitute candidates. Jamar can't ruck alone for almost a whole season again and is hard to match up on if rested forward. If Spencer is competitive in the Ruck then Jamar can rest at Full Forward. Spencer's marking has improved and he likes the physical stuff. Martin offers more positional flexibility particularly as a defensive option eg against opposition ruckman resting forward. Needs to improve his marking to play forward. Athleticism and speed should be an asset around the ground.

Bate is at a key moment in his career facing stiff competition for a spot. Full Forward is perhaps his spot but the problem for him at Full Forward is the same as as a flanker - does he have good enough hands to mark enough balls overhead or out in front? Does he have the running ability/lateral movement for flanker/wing?

Jones will probably be picked for Round 1. There is alot to like about him with his professionalism and ability to win contested ball but needs to work on releasing before/when tackled and his disposal.

All in all our depth is improved as our young players have another pre season under their belts and will get more game time either at Casey or with the Dees. Shoulf hopefully be some long nights er afternoons at the selection white board this year - and for the right reasons!

Go Dees

Edited by demoniac

To me Wona is like Jetta but with 10x better disposal

To me Jetta is more of a true midfielder than Wona, Bennell or Maric for that matter.

If Nev is to make it, it wont be as a crumbing forward. IMO Wona and Maric are the genuine forward pocket crumbers on the list, Bennell is the small swingman, and Neville is a midfielder who rotates through half forward. Maybe at this stage of his development he's vying against those 3 for a spot, but with more bulk i've no doubt he'll play the majority of his career in the guts.

Wona IMO is the best field kicker at the club behind Aaron Davey, over short distances up to 35m. His passing is superb, right up in the elite bracket. I think he's got a lot of hard work to do to get back into the team, but he is arguably the most talented (although the least fit) player out of our small forward group. Wouldnt write him off just yet. Pretty sure the club rate him very highly also, just needs a bit of luck to go his way.

batram chip garland

grimes rivers davey

jetta mckenzie scully

dunn watts pettard

maric green jurrah

jamar trengrove sylvia

jones moloney/bennell gysberts spencer

green must play ff all year, watts its still learning/growing. green has a hardened body, is a great mark , used to be the best kick in the game for goal. proven champion of the game. bate should be off to gws at years end. dunn did a great defensive job last year as well as kick some goals. as magic johnson once said about jordan ` not even he knows what he`s about to do` that goes for jurrah. a freak , and a massive headache for oppenents. if all forwards fire at once i want to be punt rd end level 2 with the redlegs.

if spencer is next in line then he must get game time. simple as that.

the midfield spots should be the most hotly contested this year, morton needs to start living up to the hype that surrounded his drafting.bennell bail strauss blease and co will be eyeing off moloney and jones. both who are getting a game on experience and their hardness as oppossed to their disposal.

we all had our views with the recent departures of mcclean bruce and mcdonald, not looking for an argument but i think in 2012 moloney may be on the out with all the young talent knocking on the door.

end of the day we need to adapt collingwoods mind set, as much as we hate them they are a mentallty strong side. every other side has a build up when they play them . every one wants to beat them. same went for the cats of recent years. time to harden up

It's getting difficult to put all ther senior players in.

Bate is one on the fringe, but he could go in at Full Forward, releasing Green to the Flank, where he could have more of a Captains influence on the side.

B: Blease Garland Rivers

HB: Grimes Frawley Tapscott

C: Davey Mckenzie Morton

HF: Jurrah Watts Sylvia

F: Maric Green Petterd

R: Jamar Scully Trengove

INT:Bartram, Gysberts, Wonaeamirri

SUB:Howe

EM: Jetta, Bennell, Moloney, Jones

It's getting difficult to put all ther senior players in.

Bate is one on the fringe, but he could go in at Full Forward, releasing Green to the Flank, where he could have more of a Captains influence on the side.

agree about trying to fit everyone in , hence bennel for moloney. bate has had enough chances for me. has a booming kick, but who misses out for him. the forward line i named offers a good mix. this off season is doing my head in, not long now

On a tenuous best 22 link, is anyone watching the Chooseday night football game tonight?

Our team consisted of (amongst others):

Jones, Sylvia, Moloney, Morton, Davey, Jurrah, Jetta,Dunn, Bate, S Martin, Frawley, Rivers, Bartram.

Yet surprisingly somewhat, to me anyway, this was from 2009. Theres 13 players right there that would expect

to play a fair bit of footy for us this year (Martin maybe). The game was the Freo game at the 'G late in the

year where we spanked them so it was good to watch. And for the record others playing that have since gone

included: Robbo, Miller, Mclean, Valenti, P Johnson, Junior and a few others....

agree about trying to fit everyone in , hence bennel for moloney. bate has had enough chances for me. has a booming kick, but who misses out for him. the forward line i named offers a good mix. this off season is doing my head in, not long now

I'm struggling to find a spot for 'Bater'.

I do like Green deep, to move up a little, roaming inside a 60 Mtr arc. But, as Captain whilst we're playing so many young this year, Both forwards, Mids, & Backs,,, our senior players will all have to push well back, behind their starting positions, to give more support than normal.

So if he starts off the flank, he can get into the mid zone & to half back, if needed. I also prefer petterd starting deep as well, so with him back, that helps Greens starting spot.

I like Jurrah off a flank, where he can use his pace & agility to turn the opposition inside out. This allows us to start Martin or Bate deep if we wanted.

I do think we need both Jones & especially Moloney in all the early teams with so many kids. The opposition will try to ragdoll our kids this year as we become more a threat. We need as much hardness as we can muster in the side.

Bartram Frawley Macdonald

Grimes Garland Davey

Scully Trengove Jones

Petterd Green Dunn

Jurrah Watts Maric

F: Jamar, Moloney, Sylvia

I: Bail, Bennell, Rivers

Sub: Martin

I like the idea of having Davey and Grimes both as HBF as it provides some run, as well as some very good kicking. I think this backline could be one of the strongest in the competition, especially in terms of rebounding.

Maric is in based solely on his preseason form. If he cannot maintain the form throughout the season I would replace him with Wonnaeamirri or Jetta.

Martin is the sub based purely on his versatility.

Been a long time since I last posted,

Backs: Garland. Frawley. Bartram

Half backs: Grimes. Rivers. Morton

Centers: Davey. Sylvia. Trengove

Half forwards: Petterd. Watts. Jetta

Forwards: Green. Jurrah. Maric

Rucks: Jamar. Moloney. Scully

Int: McKenzie. Gysberts. Dunn.

Sub: Martin

Emer: Jones. Macdonald. Bennell

I quite like the idea of Dunn & Martin off the bench as it provides a fair degree of versatility to all lines.

What I think all the proposed teams show is a heavy reliance on clean ball movement from our backs and midfielders as "bombing" into our forward 50 will achieve nothing with our under sized / developed forwards, so with this in mind Tapscott and Strauss will be given every chance to make their mark in the back half at the expense of the injured Morton. This could come as early as round 1 as our ball use was deplorable last weekend and Tapscott was one of the few shining lights.

I have gone with McKenzie and Gysberts over Jones as they make players on their outside better (Davey, Trengove and Morton) should all get a nice ride from these buys which will provide better delivery to our forwards.

Could be a long year for Bate and his success will only come with precise ball movement, I feel Bate will be the new definition of a down hill skier good when we are great and awful when we struggle. Probably not a regular spot available in 2011