"SKULL"

old55

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Artie Bucco

It's not defeatist.

Defeatist would be holding up a sign with derogatory remarks toward Tom - thinking he has already gone.

People can make their signs, and yell out 'skull' but I just hope that there isn't the flipside of people yelling at him in the race to "sign up, you f....."

There have been some weak unsubstantiated rumours peddled by Eddie McGuire, and that's pretty much it.

To beg Scully not to go isn't defeatist?

I can't agree with that.

And re:billy, as Rogue said, both.

There have been some weak unsubstantiated rumours peddled by Eddie McGuire, and that's pretty much it.

To beg Scully not to go isn't defeatist?

I can't agree with that.

And re:billy, as Rogue said, both.

Ok then, so for us supporters to ensure we do everything we can to make him feel a part of the club, what are your suggestions? We can only assume the Club is doing their part, what is it that we need?

This sign idea is cringeworthy and defeatist.

We as supporters would look pathetic and desperate, and be a mockery in the eyes of opposition supporters.

+1

Just don't go there....ughhh.

Bit like the flag being raised before the game. Rather hear us start playing "Thunder", "Highway to Hell" or "Hells Bells" before the bounce. Get the crowd into it, the boys fired up a little (maybe lol) and toughen this club up a little pre-match!

I also want the original "Fable Singers" version of our song to be played. The present one sucks IMO. We've gone soft and south ever since it's release lol!

Edited by Rusty Nails

This sign idea is cringeworthy and defeatist.

We as supporters would look pathetic and desperate, and be a mockery in the eyes of opposition supporters.

Agreed just reading it is cringeworthy

how anyone could even contemplate that is beyond me

we are not supposed to beg players

Agreed just reading it is cringeworthy

how anyone could even contemplate that is beyond me

we are not supposed to beg players

As I am the person that contemplated it C&B, I will, for your benefit, explain my reasoning, so that you can question my methods further.

The OP was talking about an idea that would show the football world that he is ours. The idea of shouting "Skull" as he kicked or when he was in possession; I just couldn't see how that would achieve the objective.

However, I think it is quite important that we get behind him, and make him "feel the love" from MFC supporters. To be honest, I think his re-signing with the Dee's is bloody near critical. What would happen if he left? The ultimate professional, who has been at the club for 2 years, decides to leave. What sort of message will this send through the playing group? Ok, they may use it for motivation, but maybe they'll just start questioning certain aspects of the Club. Scull leaving would hurt us a lot more than any other out-of-contract players this year (pretty sure Sylvia is there). By the end of the year, we as a footy club would have had over 12 months notice to try and make sure we got our sh!t together so that he didn't want to leave. If we can't secure his signature, it will be a very dark hour.

So, as I asked earlier, who is responsible for Scully to make the right decision (right being that he stays at Melbourne)? The Club is of course the most significant factor, and one that us members and supporters obviously have no control over. However, as supporters, how can we ensure we do as much as we can to make sure he is wanted by the Demon faithful?

My idea of the banner to hold up in my opinion is one way this can happen, and as I said, for 1 game, our last home game in round 23. I acknowledged that it had a certain level of desperation to it, but that is because I strongly believe we should be desperate to keep him. He is the first player that we have had on our list for a bloody long time that has that potential to become the best in the game. I owuldn't even put Stynes in that category, I'm talking Robbie Flower. Now, when I grew up as a kid, Flower was my hero. I can assure you, if there was a chance that Flower was going to leave Melbourne, I would've made my own sign requesting that he didn't. Is this begging? I'm not so sure. If you don't agree with the idea, of course you are going to put your own spin on it, but to be honest, I couldn't give a toss what you would call it. Me, I call it creating awareness for Tom that he is not only sticking it up his teammates and Club if he leaves, he's sticking it up 36,000 members and we will never forget it. On the other hand, if he stays, welcome to the family.

+1

Bit like the flag being raised before the game. Rather hear us start playing "Thunder", "Highway to Hell" or "Hells Bells" before the bounce. Get the crowd into it, the boys fired up a little (maybe lol) and toughen this club up a little pre-match!

I like it, although the Dockers fans would claim we ripped the idea to play Acca off them. From memory they play "TNT" at their matches, to compensate for the hideousness of their team song I imagine.

Ok then, so for us supporters to ensure we do everything we can to make him feel a part of the club, what are your suggestions? We can only assume the Club is doing their part, what is it that we need?

I'm not Artie, but he said it here, didn't he?

If anything, just total support of the man himself with no regard for the possibility of him ever going.

Full positive reinforcing support.

old55's appeal does that without appearing desperate.

I'm not Artie, but he said it here, didn't he?

old55's appeal does that without appearing desperate.

So you think by the crowd letting out a "skull" when he gets it will be enough?

I actually do that already when he kicks it, because generally I know he's creating something.

I still don't know why you are questioning this desperation. I have clearly explained my opinion about how we desperately need him to sign.

So you think by the crowd letting out a "skull" when he gets it will be enough?

Personally, I don't reckon it'll mean much either way. However, I think it's a) more effective than a desperate plea and b) less likely to be counter-productive.

I still don't know why you are questioning this desperation. I have clearly explained my opinion about how we desperately need him to sign.

You're misrepresenting my views. What I 'questioned' is the appearance of desperation in your suggestions - this is distinct from how much we need to sign him.

+1

Please no AC/DC!! It would kill me if that bogan rubbish had any association with our club.

Personally, I don't reckon it'll mean much either way. However, I think it's a) more effective than a desperate plea and B) less likely to be counter-productive.

You're misrepresenting my views. What I 'questioned' is the appearance of desperation in your suggestions - this is distinct from how much we need to sign him.

If us supporters are desperate to keep him, which I am, and so should 36,000 others, what's the issue? There is a possibility that we could lose a player who could be the best we've had in 20+ years.

Isn't there a saying "desperate times call for desperate measures". I think it could be used in this scenario.

Guest Artie Bucco

I'd agree -- I think that Rogue, the desperation could only have a counter-productive effect in my opinion.

Full and unwavering support ignoring the possibility of departure is the only avenue that could have a positive effect.

I'd agree -- I think that Rogue, the desperation could only have a counter-productive effect in my opinion.

Full and unwavering support ignoring the possibility of departure is the only avenue that could have a positive effect.

Also kown as living in denial. I hear that water's cold in Egypt, so don't sty in there too long.

If we can have the same desired impact by not going to the desperate measures, then I'm all for it. I don't want to risk the statement not being made.

BTW - my idea could have a positive effect too you know?

Edited by billy2803

Please no AC/DC!! It would kill me if that bogan rubbish had any association with our club.

^^^

Exactly why it's needed. Thanks WA :lol:

Anyway, we need every bogan we can get right now!

I'm with Artie & C&B on this.

Fans pleading for a players loyalty wreaks of weakness.

Personally I prefer an air of "we're heading for success with or without you (preferably with)".

Signs, calls etc of admiration send a good message. Just no begging.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I'm with Artie & C&B on this.

Fans pleading for a players loyalty wreaks of weakness.

Personally I prefer an air of "we're heading for success with or without you (preferably with)".

Signs, calls etc of admiration send a good message. Just no begging.

Yep. I'd laugh at anther club that did that and I'd cringe if we did it.

If us supporters are desperate to keep him, which I am, and so should 36,000 others, what's the issue? There is a possibility that we could lose a player who could be the best we've had in 20+ years.

Isn't there a saying "desperate times call for desperate measures". I think it could be used in this scenario.

There's a difference between 'desperate measures' and showing a form of desperation that I think comes across as pathetic.

I agree that keeping Scully is important and I think most other Dees fans will do.

I simply don't think that the ideas you suggested are the most effective way of keeping him.

Guest Artie Bucco

Also kown as living in denial. I hear that water's cold in Egypt, so don't sty in there too long.

If we can have the same desired impact by not going to the desperate measures, then I'm all for it. I don't want to risk the statement not being made.

BTW - my idea could have a positive effect too you know?

The very act of making signs that plead for Scully to not go reeks of desperation and is also suggestive.

We want to remove the very possibility of that option from his mindset when he is playing.

His match-day experience playing for us should be one of overwhelming support, not of sporadic reminders of the choice he later faces and how pathetically desperate we are to hang onto him.

I don't agree that there is any way your sign tactic could have a positive effect.

I just don't see it.

If I were him, I'd cringe.

The very act of making signs that plead for Scully to not go reeks of desperation and is also suggestive.

We want to remove the very possibility of that option from his mindset when he is playing.

His match-day experience playing for us should be one of overwhelming support, not of sporadic reminders of the choice he later faces and how pathetically desperate we are to hang onto him.

I don't agree that there is any way your sign tactic could have a positive effect.

I just don't see it.

If I were him, I'd cringe.

Well at least you got the spelling right, although I believe my attempt is equally applicable in an alternate context.

Guest Artie Bucco

Well at least you got the spelling right, although I believe my attempt is equally applicable in an alternate context.

Yep, fair call.

SKULL SKULL SKULL

If this occurs on Queen's Birthday there will be lots of drunk Collingwood supporters around...

I would think we would not need to shout Skull Skull Skull for the above to occur anyway.

I like the idea of chants for Tom, but would also offer up the idea of having a chant for a few other players as well I reckon they all need our support at this time also.

P.s I will have to yell it from my lounge in Townsville this Friday night but I'm up for it, just hope you can hear it.

Also I am sure there was a post about possible nick names floating around before.