Barassi Signing

waynewussell

I was at the Barassi signing in the Demon Shop this morning with my son. Ron was very accommodating, signing everything that was thrust under his nose. He was interviewed during the book sign (CH 7 News I think) and he had a few interesting things to say. On the question of who he would endorse as the next MFC captain Ron was diplomatic, saying he wasn't close enough to the inner sanctum to know who should be captain. He did add, however, that the captain should be tough and be the one who stood up when the team needed a lift. When asked about where he thought Melbourne would finish in 2011 he said he couldn't say but he thought they were on the improve. He went on to say that Melbourne supporters would need to keep their expectations at a realistic level.

On the question of who he would endorse as the next MFC captain Ron was diplomatic, saying he wasn't close enough to the inner sanctum to know who should be captain. He did add, however, that the captain should be tough and be the one who stood up when the team needed a lift.

I think it's fair to say that both Ron and I have similar views as to the type of qualities we expect of a captain of a hard nosed footy side. And it aint Aaron.

That said, there's no excellent candidate this year.

I think it's fair to say that both Ron and I have similar views as to the type of qualities we expect of a captain of a hard nosed footy side. And it aint Aaron.

That said, there's no excellent candidate this year.

Aaron Davey doesn't lift? What about from 2007-2010? Who was the most consistent player in those years? Who lifted the team and the fans with their run and dare and skill?

I think Davey is undersold by his own fans. More should sit behind the bench and see how hard he runs, and that isn't hard? That isn't courageous?

People need to stop harping on the few churlish and childish things he has done in the past and get over it. He was targetted by other clubs beause he was the only one they had to worry about in the dark days of 08 and 09.

Just get over it.

Aaron Davey doesn't lift? What about from 2007-2010? Who was the most consistent player in those years? Who lifted the team and the fans with their run and dare and skill?

I think Davey is undersold by his own fans. More should sit behind the bench and see how hard he runs, and that isn't hard? That isn't courageous?

People need to stop harping on the few churlish and childish things he has done in the past and get over it. He was targetted by other clubs beause he was the only one they had to worry about in the dark days of 08 and 09.

Just get over it.

Get over what ? What a banal thing to say. It makes about as much sense as that pearler "get a life".

Davey has never excelled at winning hard contested footy and until 2009 never showed great signs of consistency. Even after 5 years his best output was only 15 possessions per game. The last two years he's made great strides and started to make the most of his natural ability. He needed to.

I like my captains to be "tough". Evidently, so does Barassi. Davey doesn't inspire me as a Captain. This opinion makes you bristle, which I think I'll manage to get over.

Get over what ? What a banal thing to say. It makes about as much sense as that pearler "get a life".

Davey has never excelled at winning hard contested footy and until 2009 never showed great signs of consistency. Even after 5 years his best output was only 15 possessions per game. The last two years he's made great strides and started to make the most of his natural ability. He needed to.

I like my captains to be "tough". Evidently, so does Barassi. Davey doesn't inspire me as a Captain. This opinion makes you bristle, which I think I'll manage to get over.

04-07 he played a different role to the one he is playing now.

08 was wrecked thorugh injury.

Obviously 09 and 10 were very solid years with 09 being exceptional.

I would step back from my verbose championing of Davey over this period but I don't think Aaron is as inconsistent as you recall.

He is one player where the ball doesn't need to be in his hands many times for him to damaging.

I still stand by the 'get over Aaron's acts' point.

Too many on here just bring up the 50s he gives away from time to time and not the reason why he is giving them away - because he is being harrassed constantly by the other team (no help from his more experienced teammates) because he is the only player the other team had to worry about.

Right, I have stripped this thread back to the bone. Any personal stoushing or flaming won't be tolerated and will be followed up with a warning. That goes for any thread. Familiarise yourself with the COC & Moderating Guide (top right of every page).

Back to the thread (stick to the topic)>> Glengarry Glen Ross & rpfc please continue..

I was interested to compare prices: $50 in the ABC shop in Warragul, $30 in a KMart store. ANyway, i have had a good read, and definitely helps to explain the Melbourne era. Some of the authoritarian aspects of BArassi and SMith outlined in Red Fox come to light, illuminating both Melbourne's extended reign, the fall-out in the sixties and the extended power vacuum which followed. The order and chaos of Smith and Barassi as coach and player are also fascinating to reflect on. It seems to me that Barassi could not have achieved the same results had he stayed at Melbourne, but not for the reasons he often gives.

Just get over it.

well put, for anyone whose played footy at whatever level would know that hard 'gut' running can be just as courageous as flying back into a pack! for me its a toss of the coin between greeny and aaron (don't care who gets in between these two). then will see either scully or grimes for the nxt skippa!