Watts faster than Davey

jnrmac

Not surprised.

In football being quickest is far more important than being fastest.

The first few metres is what counts.

Even a so called football reporter doesn't understand the difference.

Apparently Melbourne has finished pre-season training

"We've completed the best summer training that I've been involved with at Melbourne," said Connolly, who returned to his old team at the end of 2007, when Bailey became senior coach.

Wonder what they will do till the nab cup? :unsure:

Pace/acceleration in a straight line is not the same as pace/accelaeration when constantly changing direction which Davey does to perfection. You only have to look at the difference between Red Bull and Ferrari.

This is not any reflection on Watts but just an observation that 20 metre sprints in a straight line whilst indicative of certain qualities do not necessarily translate to game day conditions - like many other statistics often quoted.

A 20m slalom-type test would be something useful to develop and compare with.

Pace/acceleration in a straight line is not the same as pace/accelaeration when constantly changing direction which Davey does to perfection. You only have to look at the difference between Red Bull and Ferrari.

This is not any reflection on Watts but just an observation that 20 metre sprints in a straight line whilst indicative of certain qualities do not necessarily translate to game day conditions - like many other statistics often quoted.

There's the agility test

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2008.htm

Jack Watts came 2nd in the 20m and 2nd in the agility test at the 2008 draft camp

Prospect being the operative word.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

This time 2011 we will know.

If some can't see his obvious talent then they need a white cane walking stick. He's far more than a "prospect".

There's only ever been one query over Watts and that's his intensity in contests. At worst he'll be a very good player.

Spot on DC getting the ball is what counts and then what you do with it.

I have seen lots of great athletes who could not get a kick!

If some can't see his obvious talent then they need a walking stick. He's far more than a "prospect".

There's only ever been one query over Watts and that's his intensity in contests. At worst he'll be a very good player.

Translating obvious talent into good games is what seperates the average players from the Champions.

And my dog says so!

There's the agility test

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2008.htm

Jack Watts came 2nd in the 20m and 2nd in the agility test at the 2008 draft camp

Thanks for reference old55

Can you describe the agility test. It seems something like I was thinking of

And coming 2nd in that is impressive for a 195cm type!

i've been watching a few replays lately and I must say I had not given JW enough credit for most of the year, he did a lot of really good things, if only in glimpses. The problem is that he tends to follow up a piece of magic with an embarassing clanger. No doubt whatsoever these clangers will disappear as he gains experience. I am starting to wonder if he is not better suited to playing through the middle of the ground, geez he will be hard to stop

I heard (not gospel though as it is through a mate in the media, not the club) that these tests were performed on grass which should give a more accurate indication of Watts' game speed. Also heard that the club is happy with his change in body shape and his dedication to his diet/workload. He could be a top 3 KPF in the near future if he is mentally up for the challenge.

Thanks for reference old55

Can you describe the agility test. It seems something like I was thinking of

And coming 2nd in that is impressive for a 195cm type!

I have done the agility test a few time which needs 8? cones/poles which are 2-3 metres apart. Essentially you zig zag through the poles and finish where you began. Can't quite remember my times for the agility test but I remember looking up last years draft combine results and cursing my poor genetics as I was WAAAAAAYYYYY off the pace. Was pretty bad t the 20m as well actually. 3.35sec which is pedestrian to say the least, even for someone standing at 190cm and weighing in at 90kg.

Old deee - Watts isn't the athlete prototype that was so popular in the early naughties.

He's a footy player with the only queries being his application and his willingness in the contest.

And I think I'm suffering a bit of MFCSS when I harp on about either.

Being quick over 20m is good skill for a proposed CHF to have (there is an understatement...).

Watts will never be as good as the perception of him though; he'll have the benefit of this awesome midfield shoving the sherrin down his throat.

He's a footy player with the only queries being his application and his willingness in the contest.

Yes you are , he's only 19 and probably doesn't even realise he's 6'6" yet .

Let him put on a few kg's and wait till the penny drops that he's a big strong unit .

He will tear oppositions apart . ;)

Guest Baghdad Bob

And I'm getting a bit sick of his "willingness in the contest" being questioned.

I recall Paul Salmon breaking onto the scene and everyone was saying how good he was (and he was). Then some donkey started to say he didn't have a willingness for the contest and didn't use his size. He became the whipping boy at Essendon and was subsequently traded to Hawks where he played great footy before going back to Essendon. Some players run through packs and bust bodies (J Brown). Others excel but play a very outside game (A Davey). For those waiting for Watts to play like Brown you're wasting your time and will be forever disappointed.

Hannabal has hit it one the head. At worst he'll be a very good footballer. The thing he's been given little credit for is his use of the ball, it's exceptional.

Watts is suffering from a shocking case of supporters expectations being significantly in excess of reality. Many forget that last year was his first full year at the Club and he missed most of the preseason. That may have hurt his fitness and game performance but I think in the longer run it may have been a blessing in disguise and allowed him the time he needed to develop a body that could at least avoid being battered at AFL level.

• Like 1

Old deee - Watts isn't the athlete prototype that was so popular in the early naughties.

Being quick over 20m is good skill for a proposed CHF to have (there is an understatement...).

Watts will never be as good as the perception of him though; he'll have the benefit of this awesome midfield shoving the sherrin down his throat.

You know what rpfc. I don't care if we have a good midfield shoving the ball down his throat.

If the Mid field makes him look good then great.

As long as he uses it well when he gets it that is all I want. And I will be happy to call him a champ.

The very best forwards are dependant on the ball being delivered into the forward line.